Code of Conduct

Default Splash or spray, which "keeps" longer?

I'm considering buying a HUGE 8oz Creed flacon which comes in splash only. There is no way to eliminate room air contact with the juice as I use the bottle. And it ONLY comes in this huge flacon - more than a lifetime's supply for me.

Do sprays create a vacuum as they suck the juice out of the bottle, or are they drawing in room air as well? Obviously, the old antique bulb atomizers don't count, since they "push" the juice through the nozzle with room air.

I equate perfume to wine, which stays fresh longer if you eliminate air contact...

Comments? Experiments? Observations?

Thanks!

Paul
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Default Re: Splash or spray, which "keeps" longer?

I'm not sure about the spray vs. splash debate, as I've wondered myself, but as an in-between solution to minimize air contact with your juice, you could decant from the flacon into a smaller atomizer (either pocket or dresser-top size/style).
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Opening you flacon every now and then to fill an atomiser is unlikely to affect it much but opening it often for use is. Get an atomiser and decant it.

By the way, which creed are you getting?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

What really impacts the long term viability of a cologne most are light, heat and oxygen. So keep then in a cool, dark place. I've got a basement room, dark and cool where I store my colognes but some people use a refrigerator. I personally think the refrigerator is overkill but to each their own.

As far as oxygen goes, I know that with wines they have these things which will fill the opened bottle with nitrogen thus extending the life of an opened wine bottle. I expect that the same would work well with colognes too. For this to work you would need to get a splash as the atomizer will suck in air from the room as you spray. What I would do is get some of the 10ml decant bottles and occasionally fill that, then fill the flagon with nitrogen and tightly seal it for storage between decant refills. Again, I personally think this is overkill but that is something that you could do if it is a real concern.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Opening you flacon every now and then to fill an atomiser is unlikely to affect it much but opening it often for use is. Get an atomiser and decant it.

Bottles with atomizers replace the juice in the bottle with air from the room. However, this air isn't constantly being replaced like with a flacon. I also recommend getting a smaller atomizer, a few 10ml would be perfect, cause you can take ecstasy with you. Which creed?
    - Rich

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Another way to minimize air in a splash bottle is via an old wine drinkers 'trick' Buy glass solid beads of appropriate size to fit down the neck of the bottle from a craft store, clean and dry thoroughly first and add enough one at a time to keep the liquid level at or near the top of the neck to minimize the air/liquid contact area.

These are really inexpensive and can be trashed after use or cleaned in alcohol and dried for reuse, but check for any trace of old scent unless it is the same one. You can put in enough to fill the bottle but you will still have about 1/4 of the scent still in the bottle in the spaces around the beads. I would decant that amount into small vial(s) after that.

Or, just decant from larger bottles into smaller vials to the top of each, cap tightly and use one at a time.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Bois de Santal - AMAZING stuff! $169 at scentiments... Anyone interested in splitting a bottle, and where can I find a 4oz atomizer???

Paul
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Bois de Santal - zztopp sent me a samp of this for my Holy Grail Santal testing, and it's AMAZING! It will also be my first full-bottle Creed. I have a 10ml of GIT.

Paul

~ Robert Brault