Code of Conduct

Default Coco reformulated?

I'm so afraid to ask this question. If true then I am in trouble! LOL! ;>

I bought a bottle of EDP in Vancouver BC on Jan. of '01. I'm almost out of that bottle so a couple weeks ago I tried out a bottle of EDP at my local Nordies. They DO NOT smell the same! *sniffle* What I smelled a couple weeks ago was fruity and was heavy on the vanilla. I could hardly detect the leather or anything else. At the end of the day it had still not broken down to the Coco EDP that I know and love.

I've heard the rumor that Chanel fragrances smell different depending on what country they are bought in. So has the EDP been reformulated do you know/think?

Thanks!

Default Re: Coco reformulated?

are you sure you were not smelling coco madomosile?

i dont believe coco would have that kind of diffr4ence if any at all.

also, what is your age range. when you are young (40 and younger) associates will assume you mean madomosile.
    Current Top Five: Burberry Londen, Love Spell, Miss Dior Cherie, J.Lo Live, Provocative Interlude
    Myspace

Farnesiana, Mitsouko, Joy or No5 by Chanel, all of them have been reformulated! Some reformulations are said to be disastrous (Jolie Madame by Balmain, Soir de Paris by Bourjois), others disappointing (Diorissimo by Dior, Arpege by Lanvin) others fair (Joy by Patou, Carons parfums, Guerlain classics).

It makes more sense and it 's more interesting in 2007 to go for modernity, artistic concepts and uncompromised quality with high end perfumers like Frederic Malle or Serge Lutens than classic perfumers whose perfumes are not only old smelling and out of touch for todays life but don 't respect original formulas the way they were intended to be.

The idea that maybe it's Coco Mlle they gave you is not so bad..could happen!

Coco has been reformulated way back shortly after it got launched in mid-80s. It was first conceived as an EDP and the parfum followed in this one, not the other way around. When parfum launched, the EDP got a little reformuated to be more similar to Opium which was the bestseller in that category (spicy orientals). They are very vague about it, but that's what experts have to say about it.

Myself, I have never liked it much. Although I did try. Opium on the other hand is divine.

Thank you all for your replies! :>

Tink- I am very sure I was NOT smelling Coco Mademoiselle. I know the difference between the Coco and Coco Mademoiselle very well and they both smell very different not to mention the juice color is different! Also I was not being helped by a sales person.

The juice from the EDP bottle I smelled at Nordies definitely smelled different on my skin than the juice from the bottle of EDP I got in '01. That's why I was so alarmed.

Bois et Musc- I am a big fan of Frederic Malle and Serge Lutens. I bought a bottle of Carnal Flower and Cedre last year and am in serious love with both! I'm planning on buying a bottle of FM's Une Rose next month.
    I know that the market is leaning more towards niche fragrances these days. I don't think that Coco smells old school at all. I've gotten so many compliments on Coco from people my age, in their 20's, to much older people. I'm not that much into the new mass market/department store stuff these days as many are too aquatic or too fruity or a big vanilla mess.

Helg- As I said to Tink I was not helped by an SA and I know the difference between the bottles and juice of Coco and Coco Mademoiselle. I was just wondering if Coco EDP could have been reformulated between 2001 and now. I, myself, am not a fan of Opium. My father got me a gift set of Opium, that included the parfum, when I was 12 or 13? I thought that it was too old for me and that I could grow into it in a sense but it's sixteen years later and it's still too big for me. I know that many people do like it and obviously my father does cause it's all he likes to buy for my mom and also me. LOL! ;>

Thanks again all for the replies! :>

Are the 2 bottles made in France?
    It is strange anyways that they both smelled different.
    Maybe you have grown to a more detailed nose also.
    Maybe the juice just turned for whatever reason.
    I was thinking about one being EDT and the other EDP (they smell a bit different) but you already stated that they both were EDPs, so that's not it.
    As far as i know they Coco hasn't been reformulated, but maybe 'm wrong. (maybe they had to adjust to new EU regulations and changed the stuff).

Coco, like most of the mass-market fragrances, has probably been re-formulated more than once. I know it has been at least once, sometime between '93 (when I bought a bottle) and last winter (when I tested it for the first time since my bottle was emptied, and no, it wasn't mademoiselle). The change was much too drastic to have been subjective...I don't even see how it can be classified as an Oriental anymore. It's actually somewhat aquatic now...

One thing to keep in mind is that the houses are often NOT honest about reformulation, and neither are career noses who must obey a certain industry protocol, or risk retaliation. Luca Turin swears up and down that Joy is the same as it ever was.....but I wear what I enjoy, and I only enjoy Joy that is stamped Made in France.

The other day I read this information on POL by poster Helg, who is incredibly knowledgable about fragrances. The thread was about Coco.http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?showtopic=14226&st=0 I found this info really interesting:

"The way it is I understand that they wanted a baroque perfume that would however still appeal to the bourgeois rich who want to have a luxurious perfume to wear at the opera with their furs. Well, guess what? Those perfumes already exist and Coco did not upgrade the concept in my humble opinion.

I do not smell enough leather in it and the chocolate that is often cited is non-existant to me. Perhaps if there were pronounced notes of those I would like it more.

I very often hear the theory that parfum is best and everyone should try the parfum before judging and it strikes me a bit as a "new fan's foray into serious perfumery" in this particular case, to tell you the truth. I mean, it's a well known fact that for Coco Jacques Polges worked on the Eau de parfum first (the way many more modern perfumes are worked on) and the parfum was an afterthought.
    In fact there has been a rumour that the Eau de parfum that came after the launch of parfum had been slightly tweaked in comparison to the original formula, as far back as in the mid-80s'. This is uncorfimed of course and so I can't be held responsible for this, but I thought it was worth mentioning and pondering on. - Helg, http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?showtopic=14226&st=0

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    The idea that maybe it's Coco Mlle they gave you is not so bad..could happen!

Coco has been reformulated way back shortly after it got launched in mid-80s. It was first conceived as an EDP and the parfum followed in this one, not the other way around. When parfum launched, the EDP got a little reformuated to be more similar to Opium which was the bestseller in that category (spicy orientals). They are very vague about it, but that's what experts have to say about it.

Myself, I have never liked it much. Although I did try. Opium on the other hand is divine.

Oh Helg, you're here! I should have read the whole thread before my last post

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    The other day I read this information on POL by poster Helg, who is incredibly knowledgable about fragrances. &st=0[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]

I love reading Helgs 's posts, I learned a lot from people like her, I wish she was posting here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bois et Musc
    I love reading Helgs 's posts, I learned a lot from people like her, I wish she was posting here!
    I think she is...I hadn't read the whole thread before I posted, LOL! Have you seen Helg's fabulous blog? Not to be missed. http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

[...]Myself, I have never liked it much. Although I did try. Opium on the other hand is divine.
    Amen sister! I think it may be the Chanel signature aldehydes but Coco sits and screechs on my skin like an arrogant unpracticed brass band. It never seems to mellow and is high pitched / brittle from beginning to end.

YSL Opium (EDT) on the other hand is wonderful and just gets better and better the longer it is on the skin...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Castorpollux- I looked at the bottle I got in '01 and I don't see any markings that say France. I bought that bottle at a department store in Vancouver BC on Robson Street. I think it was called Eaton's?
    Also didn't check the bottom of the bottle at Nordies. I didn't think that a Chanel at a US department store would come from any other place than France. Maybe that shows my lack of knowledge? Do Chanel fragrances come from other places?

Gala- I'm starting to agree with you on that. I called a Chanel boutique recently because I was in a bit of a panic over this. The SA was so nice and tried to help me the best he could without getting himself into trouble. He said I wasn't the only one who's made mention of the noticeable change in Coco. He said that all he was told by his higher ups was that fragrances will smell different due to climate and weather. That didn't cut it for me at all. I'm just going to go with my conspiracy theory that Coco's been messed with. I also love how it's the consumer who's got the problem and not the fragrance or it's company. Like "Maybe it's your skin chemistry?" Or "Everyone smells things differently..." and on and on. An apple does not smell like a orange and vice versa and I am not an idiot. LOL! ;>

Tovah- Thanks for that link! Lots to read! :>