Code of Conduct

Default About Safari Cologne (urgent)

I have 2 questions today about Safari.

1. I have never tried it and looking to get it blind since it is so cheap on Thai ebay. Is it similar to Givenchy Gentleman? I have tried that one and people describe it masculine and it's for real men (actually oldermen).

2. Can you help see the pictures in the link? This seller gets compliments from buyers but the lid looks cheap, is it like that?
    http://www.pramool.com/cgi-bin/dispitem.cgi?2809612
    Please kindly help as the auction will be closed tomorrow Friday.

I will wait for your comment.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Dependent

Default Re: About Safari Cologne (urgent)

nice thing about the web, pictures are international. the pic shows up fine. Im not familiar with Safari, sorry.

I remember now, I really liked Safari. I don't remember what happened to my bottle, but I can't make the connection to Givenchy Gentleman because I've never smelled GG.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

It does look like the real thing. Here it is at fragrancex.com: http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

I sniffed Safari a couple years ago. I remember it being VERY masculine and the sales woman, who was at least 55 said she *loved* it on her husband. I would say this stuff is suitable for and older gentleman.

I have never smelled Givenchy Gentleman so I can't compare it for you.

I remembered I had a full bottle of this stored somewhere so I dug it up and compared the two.
    Seems the same but....the Ralph Lauren logo on my bottle is absolutely goldcoloured and the one on your picture is in silver.
    The lid looks cheap from this angle but is actually much better when you can see the top. The picture just does not do it justice.

My bottle is a 125 ml. bottle of Eau de Toilette. Maybe the difference in logo colour is because it is another strength or another size, made for a different market.

And the scent: I just sprayed it (new bottle,never been sprayed before) and I can assure you that this does not smell like something 'for an older gentlemen'. Unless you are a sixteen year old.
    Ouch, how it hurts to say something like this!! I dislike the phrase 'older'

Husband used it for years and now I have smelled it again I just think I will use this bottle myself.

Hmpff, old gentlemen Just you wait till I visit Bangkok!!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

From what I remember it is a bit more of a mature scent, don't know what Givenchy Gentleman smells like though.

One of my current favourites, Safari. Great, sharp opening drying down to a woodsy, calm base. Very masculine, in a confident way, I think. Givenchy Gentleman? One of my favourites, at any time, big patouchli base is a LITTLE like Safari. Not much though. Buy the Safari.

I have owned both and where Gentleman on me has the harsh civet note, Safari is mainly a smooth spicy frag. Safari is one of my all-time favorites.

Safari is a Woody / herbaceaous
    its key ingredients are Lemon, bergamot, tarragon, eucalyptus, Juniper, rosemary, lavendar, leather oakmoss, patchouli, sandalwood, and musk
    It came out in 1992
    The bottle looks right to me but you never know nowadays!

Hi there,

Familiar with both, however haven't used Safari for over 12 years, still use Givenchy Gentleman at least twice a week.

They have someting in common, Vetiver & Cinnamon, however the Sandalwood & Cinnamon in Safari are probably more suitable for Thailand than GG, in fact, I think Safari will work well there; hope this helps....

The bottle in the photo is fine, I have one bought in the USA from a department store, it looks exactly the same, including that silver RL herald glued onto it. Safari is a great cologne, sophisticated and masculine, love at first sight for me - can't say the same about Givenchy Gentleman though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    I remembered I had a full bottle of this stored somewhere so I dug it up and compared the two.
    Seems the same but....the Ralph Lauren logo on my bottle is absolutely goldcoloured and the one on your picture is in silver.
    The lid looks cheap from this angle but is actually much better when you can see the top. The picture just does not do it justice.

My bottle is a 125 ml. bottle of Eau de Toilette. Maybe the difference in logo colour is because it is another strength or another size, made for a different market.

And the scent: I just sprayed it (new bottle,never been sprayed before) and I can assure you that this does not smell like something 'for an older gentlemen'. Unless you are a sixteen year old.
    Ouch, how it hurts to say something like this!! I dislike the phrase 'older'

Husband used it for years and now I have smelled it again I just think I will use this bottle myself.

Hmpff, old gentlemen Just you wait till I visit Bangkok!!

The discrepancy here might be due to the fact that they reformulated Safari about 8 yrs ago. The current stuff is much lighter than the original, in colour and scent. (They even cheapened the bottle design.) It is still remarkably expensive where I live. In its original formulation it was a wonderful scent — very masuline and deeply evocative of a lost literary culture (they could almost have called it 'Hemmingway'.) I wore it for several years straight and it was very much appreciated. I'm very ambivalent about the recent stuff: the best I could say is that it reminds me of a great scent I once wore.

I love GG and find it to be a very masculine scent — but I don't think it smells anything like Safari (nothing does!). There are common ingredients in the oakmoss, patchoulli, and some of the spices, but the overall effect is entirely different.

As Rhiannon says, Safari is not a particularly "old" scent. It is/was pretty timeless. But it is a "serious" fragrance: don't wear it if you don't mean it.

HTH

Eluard
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Safari was one of the first colognes I ever owned (along with Cool Water and Aramis New West) back in 1994. I think it'sa great fragrance - it has quite a fresh opening before drying down to a woodsy mossy base. It's appropriate for formal or casual wear. Whilst it smells expensive and classy, it is nothing like Givenchy Gentleman, wgich, whilst I like it, has a very powerful patchouli note which can come across a bit old.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Wow, thanks for all the comments you guys are very helpful and yes, I have won the auction at a very low price, about US$16 for a 125ml-bottle.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Congratulations KiatBkk, you´ve made an excellent purchase.

Safari is as classic as it gets IMO, instantly recognizeable dry, herbaceous and highly masculine blend of tobacco, leather, eucalyptus and patchouli. It never becomes stuffy or cloying, just signals well groomed gentleman with a taste for the finer things in life. Some do find it too masculine though, sent Shifts a decant a while ago and he found it a bit over the top macho. If you´re ok with GG I don´t think it´ll be an issue though.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Congratulations KiatBkk, you´ve made an excellent purchase.

Safari is as classic as it gets IMO, instantly recognizeable dry, herbaceous and highly masculine blend of tobacco, leather, eucalyptus and patchouli. It never becomes stuffy or cloying, just signals well groomed gentleman with a taste for the finer things in life. Some do find it too masculine though, sent Shifts a decant a while ago and he found it a bit over the top macho. If you´re ok with GG I don´t think it´ll be an issue though.

MMM
    Good God, the return of another of Basenotes' great reviewers!! Welcome back!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Thanks again :-)
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I'm wearing this for the first time in ages today. My wife and I bought a gift set for her Dad; he only wears aftershave, so I got the EDT as an unexpected bonus!

I had two meetings this morning and this scent is flat-out perfect for work. I went with 3 sprays but I could have gotten by with 4 and not offended anyone.

It's a very dignified, masculine scent. It also wears well on a day when the temp will be in the 90's.

It will be a great addition to my "workplace only" rotation: Safari, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Armani Eau Pour Homme, Givenchy Gentleman and a few others.

I have worn it once since I got it, will try again tomorrow. Your (ChuckW) post tempts me to wear it tomorrow.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto