Code of Conduct

Default Like Vanilla but not?

Hey all.. I've been a lurker for awhile now and finally registered, yay!

But anyway, I've been looking for something that has a warm vanilla scent but isnt true vanilla (since it gives the gf headaches).
    So far she really likes Body Kouros and Kenneth Cole Reaction and hates Gucci Envy (thinks it smells like old men) which sucks cause I like it heh.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Like Vanilla but not?

Try something with Tonka in it. You can search in the directory for some fragrances with this note in it. I find tonka to be somewhat like vanilla, only a little nuttier/woodier.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Going with that nuttier idea, try Mechant loup by L'Artisan. It's easy on the nose and great for your needs. I might also try things with sandalwood in the base because those are also warm and good smelling but not as headache inducing as pure vanilla. Santal Noble from MPG is a good choice, IMO.

This is always a hard thing to do. The rigth vanilla scent can be so different for each person so good luck on your hunt.

Mechant Loup is an excellent suggestion. My only concern would be that if the scents he has now are of the Kenneth Cole, Envy variety (though I'm pleasantly surprised by the Body Kouros... GREAT choice!), then L'artisan may be a bit much at this stage.

What about Chanel Egoiste? I know we always recommend that one, but it strikes me as something sweet, with sandalwood, pricey but not in niche-territory. It has vanilla in it, but is tempered quite nicely. If you like Body Kouros, it might be something that might work for you. Also, maybe Gaultier Le Male.

Musc Ravageur, vanillic amber animalic musk, starts with masculine notes drydown more powdery sweet and feminine

I just posted a review on Canoe. Its an old longtime standard and a value today and available just about everywhere. Vanilla and tonka are major players in this one. Used with moderation(suggested) it can still be long lasting. For me the vanilla is present almost from application to dry down.

good luck
    wolf

Talking Re: Like Vanilla but not?

Wow quite the feedback here! I think im going to try and locate Mechant loup, Égoïste and Musc Ravageur - hopefully one of those works out. Anyone want to swap for envy or bulgari phx? (only 7 months before I can post in the marketplace hehe)

Anyway, thanks much guys!

gaultier2 perhaps
    or too much vanilla?
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Welcome to Basenotes. I agree with those saying Egoiste. IMO a top frargrance that would be worth your checking into. Other possible ideas; Habit Rouge by Guerlain and Rocabar by Hermes are different ways to go.

Always test a sample on your skin and let it drydown so you (and your gf) can be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer00
    Wow quite the feedback here! I think im going to try and locate Mechant loup, Égoïste and Musc Ravageur - hopefully one of those works out. Anyone want to swap for envy or bulgari phx? (only 7 months before I can post in the marketplace hehe)

Anyway, thanks much guys!
    ...become a Supporter and you can post there today.

Also, what is your price range for fragrances? All of those you mentioned are beautiful fragrances, but keep in mind that Egoiste is about $75, Mechant Loup $110, and Musc Ravageur about $180 (all 100ml sizes).

I second Egoiste. You can try Burberry Brit too!

You might try Lutens Un Bois Vanille. It's a femme frag, but I wore it the other day and garnered three compliments. There is a woody (sandalwood)? base, which counters the vanilla and keeps it from smelling too sweet IMO.

It's what I would call a darker, more seductive vanilla...
    Welcome to Basenotes!

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    You might try Lutens Un Bois Vanille. It's a femme frag, but I wore it the other day and garnered three compliments. There is a woody (sandalwood)? base, which counters the vanilla and keeps it from smelling too sweet IMO.

It's what I would call a darker, more seductive vanilla...
    Welcome to Basenotes!

Paul
    Oh, there you go again with your Sandalwood, Paul! j/k