Code of Conduct

Default amouage hall of mirrors

so "amouage gold cologne" is not the same as "amouage gold"...

the notes for "amouage gold and crystal cologne" seem to be .... maybe maybe not the same as for "amouage gold".... are these two awfully close... or not?

and how similar are "amouage silver cologne" and "amouage crystal and silver" cologne?? a review or two seem to indicate they are quite similar...

how confusing can it get this is almost like pharmeceuticals

Default Re: amouage hall of mirrors

From Trumpers:

Theres "GFT" and then theres "GFT Cologne"...two different scents, yet with nearly the same name.

Creed's "Original VetiveR" and "Vetiver" also cause a lot of confusion - many retailers will show you Original Vetiver if you ask for "Creed Vetiver"
    -

wait, theres a SILVER and CRYSTAL? is it different than Silver Crystal? (or are they Cristal?)

there is a silver cologne
    there is a silver and crystal

there is a gold
    there is a gold cologne
    there is a gold and crystal

the only place that lists them all (or I mean shows the most of them, cause none of the discontinued "crystal" ones are included therein) is the perfumesraffy.com site

basenotes directory says nothing of the 'gold cologne' or the 'gold and crystal'

the 'gold and crystal' and 'silver and crystal' have the same fancy bottle as the "gold", "dia" etc.

the "silver cologne" and "gold cologne" have a not as fancy bottle and are lower priced

DOES ANYONE HAPPEN TO KNOW how close the "gold and crystal" is to the "gold"?

phew!

well I have Silver and Silver Cr[y|i]stal but is there a third variety? Hopefully not...

Sorry I do not know about your question

how do silver and silver crystal compare?

before it was discontinued was silver crystal expensive like gold and dia or less so like silver cologne?

Silver Crystal used to be about 20 Euros cheaper than the Gold and Dia.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I also see some places the wording "amouage gold crystal edition".

maybe gold cologne is the same only not in a fancy bottle? (wishful thinking I suppose since the silver and silver crystal are different, I guess.... reviews indicate they are quite similar...

Maybe I should ask the perfumecritic!!!

well now I"m told from a merchant that in fact "amouage gold" and "amouage gold and crystal" are identical, which seems right.

and "gold cologne" is discontinues as is "silver crystal"

I could be wrong but I think the "gold" is the perfume and the "+crystal" is the fancy bottle.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I could be wrong but I think the "gold" is the perfume and the "+crystal" is the fancy bottle.
    I think you are right, because the 'Gold' comes also in these bottles with even more gold adornments. http://www.amouage.com/englishweb/am...goldflasks.asp

So: 'crystal' for the less expensive ones with less gold but more crystal.

ok but the "gold cologne" in the not so fancy bottle is supposed to be different stuff... just as the "silver cologne" is not the same juice as "silver crystal" as one post here and one of the reviews testifies! And cause there is a separate listing for each (silver, silver crystal) evein hte basenotes directory...

Phew indeed!

I tried to figure it out with the bottles I have and the info from the Amouage and Perfumesraffy sites

I think it goes like this:

- 'Silver and Crystal'. Eau de Toilette: discontinued, called simply 'Silver' by most because 'Crystal' is referring to the bottle
    - 'Silver Cologne': what i't says, a Cologne. Weaker but almost similar to the discontinued EDT, and lacking some of the more expensive ingredients (and that is why it is cheaper)

- 'Gold' and 'Gold and crystal': exactly the same scent and strength, EDT. It seems Amouage has abandonded the word Crystal.
    - 'Gold Cologne': discontinued and a weaker strength than the Gold and also with less expensive ingredients.

And as a last possibility you could contact http://www.amouage.com/englishweb/amouage/enquiry.asp

And all this at eight in the morning

Good luck supermarky!

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    there is a silver cologne
    there is a silver and crystal

there is a gold
    there is a gold cologne
    there is a gold and crystal

the only place that lists them all (or I mean shows the most of them, cause none of the discontinued "crystal" ones are included therein) is the perfumesraffy.com site

basenotes directory says nothing of the 'gold cologne' or the 'gold and crystal'

the 'gold and crystal' and 'silver and crystal' have the same fancy bottle as the "gold", "dia" etc.

the "silver cologne" and "gold cologne" have a not as fancy bottle and are lower priced

DOES ANYONE HAPPEN TO KNOW how close the "gold and crystal" is to the "gold"?

phew!

just don't oonfuse "amouage gold" with "gold cologne"

the gold cologne is a very light scent, amber-y, pleasant, but delivers nothing on the order of the "statement" made by either "amouage gold" or the "silver cologne" - it's a disappointment...

the flacon is definitely glamorous though, and it's not even "crystal" and boxed in 2 boxes, gorgeously

I'm slightly confused. Have you been able to sample the gold cologne between yesterday, when you said it "is supposed to be different stuff" and just now when you pronounce that "it delivers nothing on the order of the 'statement' made by either 'amouage gold' or the 'silver cologne' - it's a disappointment..."? Or are you distilling information you have been able to track down online about the different fragrances, including the discontinued gold cologne.

I own both the gold and the gold cologne, so I can verify that these are two different fragrances. However, I disagree strongly with your last characterization as unfair to the gold cologne. In my opinion, it does deliver a statement like that of the gold, and only someone who had smelled the gold would be likely to think the gold cologne a light fragrance or one that doesn't make a strong statement. I think the gold cologne is close to the gold in most important ways. I find it slightly more wearable, but both are very strong and require a light touch. To me, subjectively, either of the golds is much better than the silver cologne.

well I tested yesterday the gold in sherman oaks at perfumesraffy which is a great funky store "duty free" style with great deals all over the place. they're sold out of the gold cologne, which evidently has been discontinued.

and I tried gold cologne today cause some came in the mail!

it's a little like going directly to the drydown of the gold to spray on the gold cologne. and if gold is famous for godzilla sillage I can believe it from the teeny bit the raffy lady sprayed on me whereas the gold cologne is very very subtle and I sprayed a lot on my myself, then did it again!

so I'll concur that I did indeed form my opinion trying the gold first and having done so the gold colonge seems kind of pointless. impossible for me to be satisfied with it after trying the gold!

I have a decant of the silver cologne which is so completely different from either of these, as I've said, to me kind of like lavender in its bite but with an undefinable floral identity over this lavenderlike harshness. much better projection than with the gold cologne and totally impregnated the tshirt I was wearing that day. otherwise so different from the gold it's just for a different taste it seems to me (unless you like them both, which isn't that hard!)

another thing about the gold cologne that is a turn off for me is a wee bit of yerbamate note, it's not strong enough to really really bother me but it's something I'm not keen on.

I would almost recommend someone who likes gold cologne to go for the LV yerbamate as a more emphatic similar scent.

(for me though the gold cologne works better than the yerbamate)

anyway I got it thinking it was this incredible deal on the amouage gold. oops.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I tried a small swath of Silver Crystal For Men across the back of both hands last night, from a sample so kindly sent by Buffalo_Gals, as I was getting ready for bed. Definitely animalic in the drydown, powerful, spiced fruit and good depth of scent in the opening. Only a hint left however 7 hours later when I awoke, but still identifiable as a weaker version of the drydown fragrance.

This is the first time I have tried any of the Amouage scents.

I will probably endeavor find a reasonably priced bottle sometime in the future..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Recieved today my amouage 2ml sample vials (5 men's scents, and 5 samples for women), delivery took only 3 days (amouage.com).
    Applied some silver cologne today, and it became immediately my new favourite scent, fruity and spicy and very pleasant smelling.
    It still takes 5 days to test the rest of the samples.

Gold ph is awesome!! It smells like a regular incense stick with lots of frankincense and myrrh, definately my favourite. Probably some ava luxe scents should be similiar (incense, nag champa, incense tibet) but cheaper.
    Ciel ph and silver are also excellent scents.
    Dia ph is not as good, but it is still wearable. It is so mild that I need 3 sprays on neck instead of 1.
    I didn't like Arcus at all.