Code of Conduct

Default just me or do topnotes last AGES on clothes?

Earlier tonight I applied Terre d'Hermes. HOURS later, i was in bed after coming back from a smoky bar and was amazed to be getting citrus whiffs from my body, which usually dissipate in less than an hour. I realized that for once, I had sprayed some on my shirt collar by accident and that, hours later, I could still smell those citrus topnotes.

Am I imagining this? Do topnotes really last longer on clothes as opposed to skin?

Default Re: just me or do topnotes last AGES on clothes?

Oh, I don't find that strange at all. Sometimes I put on a shirt I haven't worn for a week, and I can tell the scent I wore that day. I guess clothes retain scents better than your skin because your body heat makes them evaporate faster, but I'd like to hear some more authorized opinions about this.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

They do last longer on clothes, because cotton is more porous (less susceptible to convective mass transfer--where molecules are swept up by moving air--into your nose in some cases) and because your clothes are a lower temperature (less thermodynamic effect: the molecules don't evaporate off the surface as much). I'm a chemical engineer, btw.

That's why I think stores should have hot plates instead of scent strips, or that stupid booth thing at barney's for the Frederic Malle stuff.

Maybe I'll go design a cheap GC sniffing device or something.
    Current frags (in order of preference):

1) GIT
    2) GV
    3) MR

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Funny you should bring up Habit Rouge EdC as one of your Currrent Rotation choices Manos ... I started this AM with Aramis Tuscany, switched to Aramis Havana For Men late this afternoon. Then, after showering, decided impulsively to put on a chest spray and a half of Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC.

I have to admit it is really nice. Much more subtle than the first two of the day but still has a lot going for it. What is eminating from under my sweatshirt and softly up to my face is, after an hour on, definitely vanillic in character, with a backbone of a somewhat sharp mossy leather. Altogether a very pleasant ambiance wafting up and around. This one bears wearing often and 'watching' with an open nose for a drydown surprise or two after a relatively subdued begining.
    Last edited by kbe; 27th January 2007 at 01:01 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    I have to admit it is really nice. Much more subtle than the first two of the day but still has a lot going for it. What is eminating from under my sweatshirt and softly up to my face is, after an hour on, definitely vanillic in character, with a backbone of a somewhat sharp mossy leather. Altogether a very pleasant ambiance wafting up and around. This one bears wearing often and 'watching' with an open nose for a drydown surprise or two after a relatively subdued begining.
    Yeah, but I don't know about that topnote. I'm still wrestling with it. It's like a girl you fight with a lot, and then you discover that you have fallen in love with her.
    Current frags (in order of preference):

1) GIT
    2) GV
    3) MR

I agree about clothing retaining scent longer than skin, but I also find Terre d' Hermes to be particularly long-lasting anyway.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah