Code of Conduct

Question Patou Pour Homme

I sampled Patou Pour Homme and although it's not my usual fare, I liked it. Because it's prohibitively expensive I won't be purchasing a bottle anytime soon, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend something similar that's more readily available. It doesn't necessarily need to be cheap. I just don't want to pay $200 or more, especially for something I won't wear that much.

Caron's Third Man hits some of the same notes, I noticed. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme

I have a question about the pricing of this. I am also looking for a bottle.

Is it so expensive because it always was expensive or because of it being discontinued?

I didn't know this fragrance before it was discontinued but i doubt it was as expensive as it sells for now. It is really hard to find now and I was lucky enough to finally find some bottles of it and the Prive but I sold it all to you guys.

I really can't think of anything that even smells similar to Patou Pour Homme. Third man smells very different to me. If I ever become rich I'll have Patou recreated for everyone to enjoy.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

No, it was a relativly standard priced fragrence. The price increased as its rarity increased.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a couple of bottles for $35 at an indoor swapmeet in the LA area!

I like Patou PH.

I wore it throughout my mispent youth and it has a high sentimental value for me.
    While I would pay a high price for it in order to reminisce of past times, I do not think it is a good value purchase at $US200 without an alterior motivation such as sentimentality.

Many people suggest Versailles PH as a good alternative, but it is also discontinued and just as hard to find at a reasonable price - I haven't experienced it so can't comment.

I would suggest 4 fragrances to try which may be acceptable Patou PH substitutes:

Creed Bois du Portugal
    MPG Santal Noble
    Guerlain Heritage
    PdN New York

I am not suggesting that these smell the same as Patou PH (Azsmells is right, Patou is pretty unique) for they do not.
    What I am saying is that you could wear these to similar feel and effect - and most importantly, if you fall in love with one of these four, you can easily get more...

Oh yes - when Patou PH was in production it was always a little more expensive than the usual designer fragrances - but not that much.
    Remember: Patou PH is a designer fragrance - it is not niche.
    In my town it usually cost about 20-30% more than the other designer fragrances.

Just be warned... I have not been able to find out when the last run of Patou PH was manufactured - but it was some time ago.
    It's one thing to pay $US200 for fresh Patou, it's a very different thing to pay $US200 for Patou which is getting old.

My 2 cents.

Even now $200 is too much for a bottle of Patou Pour Homme. You can still get 2 oz bottles for $150 on ebay.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

MM makes some good suggestions.

I'd ad Divine L'Homme Sage, the closest to Patou I've ever smelled. It's not that they even smell that similar, but they do share a scent that is warm, masculine, deep, classy and of very high quality.

Though it's not cheap either...but you get what you pay for. Look for decants here.

I haven't found anything similar to Patou PH, I think it's that unique, the best scent ever produced..

The last time I bought it was in Rome, I think it was 1995, however it could have been discontinued by then already.The price was around £40, more than your mainstream frag.

I bought loads and used loads: I was living in Ibiza at the time , and even sprayed it in my leather deck shoes!!! ( on a daily bases, for months!!)

Thanks to a fellow BN member ( don't know if he wants to be mentioned **)I managed to stock up again, at a fair price.

If you like it , but don't want to spend too much on it, you probably find some 10ml mini's on the German eBay site..

Good luck
    Last edited by JYvdK; 28th January 2007 at 10:45 PM.

PPH is expensive because it's the greatest men's scent ever made. Period.

I would love to know the rationale behind its discontinuece.

I LOVE this stuff...I don't wear it very often...I also have the 3oz After shave spray...The stuf is almost as good as the EDT and LASTS AND LASTS on me...I actually had 2 compliments 6 hrs after application a few monts ago....so I would reccommend that AS spray...
    Good Luck!

I am wondering what if one buys Patou homme for bout 150$ and then it turns out that the perfume has 'turned'. I mean how does one know if the perfume is still ok considering that its not produced anymore. How can the seller even know if the perfume is fine inside a sealed box?

Has anyone had an experience with a bottle of Patou Homme that turned bad or something? I don't want to risk so much money. Besides i have no clue what it smells like and if the bottle that i eventually buy is actually spoiled would i know that its not smelling the way it was meant to?

gupts

Thanks for all the input. And I plan to try L'Homme Sage to see how it stacks up. I've heard a lot of other good things about that frag.

I have the same question about buying a frag that hasn't been in production in so long. I wouldn't mind (so much) paying $150 for a bottle if it was current, but paying that much for a bottle that isn't fresh leaves me with some serious concerns. Even if it is good, how long will it last?

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    I am wondering what if one buys Patou homme for bout 150$ and then it turns out that the perfume has 'turned'. I mean how does one know if the perfume is still ok considering that its not produced anymore. How can the seller even know if the perfume is fine inside a sealed box?

Has anyone had an experience with a bottle of Patou Homme that turned bad or something? I don't want to risk so much money. Besides i have no clue what it smells like and if the bottle that i eventually buy is actually spoiled would i know that its not smelling the way it was meant to?

gupts
    Gupts — I have bought from the seller on ebay who is selling 4ozs for $250 and 2ozs for $150, and the stuff I got was not spoiled. (These are splash bottles mind.)

If you buy it and it turns out that you don't like it, I will buy it from you so that you don't lose. I regard it as nectar of the gods.

(How long will the stuff last: it is in its box and therefore not exposed to light. I would think it would last another ten years at the very least.)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Nino Cerruti PH is another alternative. Not as dark and spicy but it bears some similarities.

Yeah, I still don't understand what the suits at Proctor and Gamble
    are thinking. They have a brand (Patou) with rich history and several
    very fine women's scents in the brand. And they have, what, ZERO
    men's scents that they make any effort to sell in the U.S.A.

I wonder what the chances are that a letter writing campaign could
    get them to consider producing Patou Pour Homme again. Probably
    slim, but didn't basenotes try a similar approach to bringing by
    Aramis New West?

Maybe we could recruit Luca Turin to write the first letter.

Still scratching my head on Patou, though. Joy and 1000 are fragrances
    with a fine pedigree, and I thought the new Sira des Indes was quite nice.
    But no effort to even sell the great creations of the past by Jean Kerleo???

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    Nino Cerruti PH is another alternative. Not as dark and spicy but it bears some similarities.
    Don't tell them that it's hard enough to find Cerruti as it is

There is a similarity. Cerruti being more "woody" in the base and less dry.

On a similar theme, has anyone tried Voyageur ph by Jean Patou? The reviews in the directory are none too favourable, however. This is fairly easy to source in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35
    Don't tell them that it's hard enough to find Cerruti as it is

There is a similarity. Cerruti being more "woody" in the base and less dry.

On a similar theme, has anyone tried Voyageur ph by Jean Patou? The reviews in the directory are none too favourable, however. This is fairly easy to source in the UK.
    I found Voyaguer to be a collosal disappointment — one would never have guessed that it was from the same house that produces Patou pour homme. I'd say you should sample it first. Fortunately I was able to find a mini very easily, so it saved me a bad purchase.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    Nice call, Baron.

There's a perfume store in Portland OR that I visted a few months ago. I was shocked to find they had bottles of NCPH for around 40 bucks.

Needless to say, I stocked up.

A few weeks ago I bought two edt 10 ml patou samples at parfumflacons.de(the same as on german ebay) for 14 euro. Now they already cost 22 euro on their website. Patou-inflation?

One box was open, the other professional sealed. The colour of the juice is that of ‘morning pi..’ and there is a good chance that it looked more ‘brighter’ a few years ago (these mini flacons must be older then 7 years now?!).
    I dont have any material to compare with - never used Patou before - but think the smell is still okay. Not rotten or what so ever: maybe a little more ‘sugary’ than it was ment to be...

Between Cerutti ph and Patou ph there is in my opinion one simularity and thats their spirit: when you say that Cerutti is a huge boquet of spring flowers you can describe Patou as the smell of a city bakery (Konditorei) a few days before Christmas (Weinachten).

Musky Monkey is absolutely right with his Patou substitutes and I think Creed Bois du Portugal is the winner in Patou simularity (followed by Santal Noble which is more dryer).
    If you could put creed’s BdP in a time machine - in a sealed box and hopefully never opened in 7 years - don’t be suprised that it smells just like the Patou from ‘the German Ebay site’.

So, in my opinion all the discontinued crazyness has more to do with those good old days (when we still looked fresh in the morning) then with good quality parfum.
    Why not try Tauer Lonestar Memories? Or Coze from Parfumerie Generale? Both good and modern fragrances!

Greetings, Turito.

I agree with Muskey Monkey and turito: BdP is definitely close to Patou pour Homme. It is not the same, but it makes a very fine substitute if you can't get the Patou.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue
    Nice call, Baron.

There's a perfume store in Portland OR that I visted a few months ago. I was shocked to find they had bottles of NCPH for around 40 bucks.

Needless to say, I stocked up.
    I'm getting a few bottles of Nino Cerruti in the mail but I've never tried it. The descriptions sound nice. I didn't expect it to compare to Patou but now I can't wait to get my package.

I have got Patou pour Homme but this Nino Cerruti PH has got me wondering i will have to see if it can still be found in the UK.Has it been discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by frank06
    I have got Patou pour Homme but this Nino Cerruti PH has got me wondering i will have to see if it can still be found in the UK.Has it been discontinued?
    The Basenotes directory doesn't show it as being discontinued but I believe it is discontinued or just really hard to find. I have some extra bottles being shipped to me if anyone is interested in one send me a PM.
    Last edited by AZsmells; 31st January 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turito
    A few weeks ago I bought two edt 10 ml patou samples at parfumflacons.de ........ you can describe Patou as the smell of a city bakery (Konditorei) a few days before Christmas (Weinachten)
    I picked 30ml from the same place, and I couldn't have described it better. When I first tried it, I thought it'd gone off, and regarded it as being extremely nausea-inducing. However, having tried it again, I think perhaps it's a frag that suffers from something which I've noticed with a few others i.e. if you put it on your wrist or chest and try to get a close up sniff, it's going to knock you flat on your feet. However, if you just let the wafts arrive at your nose nice and gently, at their own pace, it's actually not as bad as you might think.

I put some on again an hour ago trying this new tactic, and I'm definitely getting something which I've smelled in the luxurious BdP, but with an 'old-school' (thinking back to my Dad's colognes in the 80s) soapy dryness with which I'm not overly familiar or comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    I found Voyaguer to be a collosal disappointment — one would never have guessed that it was from the same house that produces Patou pour homme. I'd say you should sample it first. Fortunately I was able to find a mini very easily, so it saved me a bad purchase.
    Thanks, I'll try to track down a mini sized bottle, to try.

Regarding Cerriuti PH, Strawberrynet were selling it prior to the ban on shipping.

I know of no web-based UK retailer of it. I rely on e-bay etc. to keep the stocks high. A masterpiece, in my view, Pluran's review says it the best: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121186&page=reviews

A scandal that this (along with the equally sublime Fair Play) are so hard to find/discontinued, still, it adds to the fun

I just thought of 2 others that are on the level of Patou Pour Homme for me. They don't smell like Patou PH but have that same wow this is quality stuff factor. Unfortunately they are just as hard to find as Patou.

Rochas Macassar
    Ungaro I

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    I just thought of 2 others that are on the level of Patou Pour Homme for me. They don't smell like Patou PH but have that same wow this is quality stuff factor. Unfortunately they are just as hard to find as Patou.

Rochas Macassar
    Ungaro I
    Macassar is even harder to get than Patou pour Homme. If you ever lay your hands on some spare Az, you know where to find me!

I put some on again an hour ago trying this new tactic, and I'm definitely getting something which I've smelled in the luxurious BdP, but with an 'old-school' (thinking back to my Dad's colognes in the 80s) soapy dryness with which I'm not overly familiar or comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Followed your advice with the 10 ml German Patou and its better that way. More in balance when it comes from a distance. Still think that it's overaged. Not rotten but sugary. Prever the Cerruti PH much more. Don't think Cerutti was discontinued. My last bottle (bought a year ago; not so very diffucult to get if you look around for a few minutes) was fresh and a little different than the Cerutti ph I used in the early 90s. Think it's a remake; but a very good one. Much better copied than the 'new' Guerlain Vetiver.

Turito

Quote Originally Posted by turito
    I put some on again an hour ago trying this new tactic, and I'm definitely getting something which I've smelled in the luxurious BdP, but with an 'old-school' (thinking back to my Dad's colognes in the 80s) soapy dryness with which I'm not overly familiar or comfortable.
    Followed your advice with the 10 ml German Patou and its better that way. More in balance when it comes from a distance. Still think that it's overaged. Not rotten but sugary. Prever the Cerruti PH much more. Don't think Cerutti was discontinued. My last bottle (bought a year ago; not so very diffucult to get if you look around for a few minutes) was fresh and a little different than the Cerutti ph I used in the early 90s. Think it's a remake; but a very good one. Much better copied than the 'new' Guerlain Vetiver.

Turito[/QUOTE]

Cerruti PH is very rare in England. I know of not one on-line retailer. Any links to the places you have seen it? Europe, if possible. Thanks.

99perfume.com: 50 dollar for 1.7. and there are more. Tell you later.

perfumemart, perfumeemporium, beautyofperfumes, tuccinifragranceoutlet, and in Italyrofumeriapaola.com; they all sell Cerruti Pour Homme.

greetings turito

Last edited by pluran; 4th March 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Can anyone comment on the Patou PH cologne vs. the EDT? I bought a bottle of the cologne on eBay thinking it was the EDT (my mistake, I didn't read closely enough) and now am wondering how different the two concentrations are.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by wrfritsche
    Can anyone comment on the Patou PH cologne vs. the EDT? I bought a bottle of the cologne on eBay thinking it was the EDT (my mistake, I didn't read closely enough) and now am wondering how different the two concentrations are.
    OH..i thought that Patou PH just came as a cologne and there wasnt any EDT...i have seen an aftershave spray being sold on ebay though in which i didnt show much interest since i thought it would be weak...yeah i would like to know as well how does the cologne compare to the edt....

I would like to add another question here....Does Patou pour homme come in a spray bottle too? I think i have just seen splash bottles being put under the hammer on ebay....

gupts

I´ve just bought a bottle of the aftershave, but it hasn´t yet arrived.
    I remember trying the edt years ago in a department store and although I thought the design of the bottle was a work of understatement art - really beautiful - the fragrance itself didn´t do very much for me at the time.
    I know this one is way up there so I´m giving it a second try.

I have tried Voyageur several times and find it to be a vile synthetic cocktail, very harsh.....but I am looking forward to PPH and will post my opinion of it here when I have tried it.

Best Wishes, David.

Quote Originally Posted by wrfritsche

Hi..can anyone please tell us how the two concentrations differ? i dont want to buy 'cologne' if its severely weaker than the edt.

gupts

Hi..can anyone please tell us how the two concentrations differ? i dont want to buy 'cologne' if its severely weaker than the edt.

gupts
    Many people refer to men's fragrances generically as "cologne", this might be the case with the bottle you are considering.
    Or the seller might be refering to the after shave as cologne.

I've find a strong similarity between Patou pH and Jil Sanders Men Pure (original), but I think the Sanders is even hard to find than Patou.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 4th March 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Does Patou pour homme come in a spray bottle too? I think i have just seen splash bottles being put under the hammer on ebay....
    gupts
    Patou PH was sold in a 90ml spray bottle with a removable vaporiser.
    The 60ml and 120ml splash bottles were sold to refill the spray bottle.
    It's no real surprise that the spray bottles sold out first and that the ugly fat refill bottles remained unsold and collecting dust for years in perfume stores - no atomiser, no tester, no clue, no sale.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Patou PH was sold in a 90ml spray bottle with a removable vaporiser.
    The 60ml and 120ml splash bottles were sold to refill the spray bottle.
    It's no real surprise that the spray bottles sold out first and that the ugly fat refill bottles remained unsold and collecting dust for years in perfume stores - no atomiser, no tester, no clue, no sale.
    Well i havent seen the Patou ph atomiser so i cant say what it looks like...however i did come across the splash version of Patou ph and IMO the bottle rocks....the cap is a work of engineering...takes i think 3 turns to snugly fit on the top...fantastic build quality i must say...and i find it just tooo tooo beautiful...

Patou ph even in splash version is still very sought after...Yes splashes are not as popular as sprays but its better to have something rather than nothing....

gupts

I have a 3oz spray. The bottle is the a lot taller than the splash bottle. I have a full 2oz splash and my 3oz spray bottle is 80% full. Funny, I know lots of people are searching for this, but I never use mine. I bought them in Italy and used the fragrance while in Venice but since my return, never again.

gianni

Quote Originally Posted by gianni
    I have a 3oz spray. The bottle is the a lot taller than the splash bottle. I have a full 2oz splash and my 3oz spray bottle is 80% full. Funny, I know lots of people are searching for this, but I never use mine. I bought them in Italy and used the fragrance while in Venice but since my return, never again.

gianni

You should sell them.

I must admit, I think the splash bottle is pretty cool, with the special
    three half-rotation open/close cap. It's the juice I care about, though.
    I decant from the splash bottle into an atomizer and spray from it. I don't
    want to use the splash bottle as a splash. Got to preserve the juice.
    It's already getting old. Don't want more light and air to get to it
    than necessary.

Yes splashes are not as popular as sprays but its better to have something rather than nothing....
    gupts
    Very true - to the average basenoter it is definitely about the juice.
    To Joe Public, bottle design and function is very important and I think that is why the refill bottles simply sat on the shelves long after the atomisers sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    Got to preserve the juice.
    It's already getting old. Don't want more light and air to get to it
    than necessary.
    Yes. Trumpet_Guy is right.
    Sadly, Patou PH was discontinued many years ago and the juice is getting old .
    Those who wore it fresh in the 80's & 90's were fortunate indeed.

I own several splash bottles of Patou Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme Privé. The juice is prime in all of them. Same goes for Ungaro Pour L'Homme 1 and many others. Kept closed, in a cool (preferably 50 f or a little less), dark place, and many perfumes can last fifty years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I own several splash bottles of Patou Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme Privé. The juice is prime in all of them. Same goes for Ungaro Pour L'Homme 1 and many others. Kept closed, in a cool (preferably 50 f or a little less), dark place, and many perfumes can last fifty years or more.
    Yes, old Patou PH can last and still smell good - but naturally the juice does change.
    Most of the change is in the top notes.
    You have to expect it to change - chemistry is chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Yes, old Patou PH can last and still smell good - but naturally the juice does change.
    Most of the change is in the top notes.
    You have to expect it to change - chemistry is chemistry
    Unfortunately I've now confirmed that my PPH has gone pretty much off. After rigorous multi-testing on tester strips and various materials and leaving them in different condition for various times (6hours to 3 days), the topnotes are just completely fecked There's a semblence of order in the midrange, but the topnote chaos just stays and mostly blankets it.

Given enough time, I've been left with strips and materials that do smell lovely - presumably from the remnants of the basenotes once the rest of the mess has dissipated, but there you go! That's £30 down the drain - but I guess getting 50ml of DK Unleaded and 50ml of Stardust for £36 combined kind of makes up for it

Onwards and upwards!

scored a 2oz splash bottle for cheap in singapore....
    the lady at the store even gave me a universal screw-on sprayer that fits on the top of the bottle...which pretty much makes it a spray bottle

unfortunately the bottle is officially MIA as with the rest of my entire luggage which went missing at the airport customs...

someones head is gonna roll if i dont get my stuff back!
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe