Code of Conduct

Default Tested some more niche

OK. I now officially respect the house of l'Artisan. Voleur de Roses is divine. I also tested Dzing! (again), and Fou d'Absinthe.

Dzing! - The first time I tested it, I questioned the sanity of most Basenoters. How could anyone love this scent which simply smelled of burnt saran wrap? I threw away my sample, and an hour later, all I could detect was a little sweetness added to the "disaster". I wasn't impressed, but I decided to get another sample (from markc), and I'm glad I did. First impression was... you guessed it, burnt saran wrap. I waited a half hour, and now I get why people love it so much... it's delicious. Enough said.

Fou d'Absinthe - When it when on, I thought... Ummmm... ok... I guess. Oww... Owwwww! OW! It burns! Well, not that much... ok, it's fine now. Candy? Tonka? Chocolate? Herbs? Alcohol! OK... I guess. Five minutes later, I couldn't take my nose away, delicious! Half an hour later, it's the smell of really old soap... you know the kind; It's the same bar that's been in your grandmother's "formal bathroom" for the last thirty years, doesn't smell bad, but you're never really impressed. So much for d'Absinthe.

Voleur de Roses - Took me by surprise... Big time. I was excited for the Czech & Speake #88, but VdR beats it out in the long run... big time. #88 is candied rose, and VdR is "secret garden" roses. Unbelievably good. I'm glad I tried it, and it will most likely be my first l'Artisan. Yes, $85. I'm ready and willing to smell this good.

Philosykos - WOW! From start to finish, this fragrance has blown me away. Creamy, luscious, edible fig. I'm a huge fan of figs (Ever since I tried Inchnusa by Profvmvm, which is a sharper, AWESOME, and expen$ive cologne.), and this one is tied for first. Heely's was too sweet, but this does it perfectly. My stomache literally gets butterflies everytime I smell it, and I melt. Marc Jacob's is good for a close to the skin scent, but the coconut makes it a little to 'beachy' for me. Still a good scent, and fig though. Philosykos is definitely going to be in my wardrobe VERY soon. It's just a cool name too. I might even spring for the 3.4oz. It's that good.

Crypt - Umm... Waffle syrup? OK... Ummm... No thanks.

Blenheim Bouquet - Ummm... Pez anyone? Wait... nevermind, it's already gone.

Egoiste - Hmmm... Good. Smells familiar... In a good way.

Havana - Hmmm... Good. Smells familiar... In a good way... wait, did I just spray Egoiste on two cards? ... No, but they both smell good! Havana is a little more spicy, less powdery... I like both in their own way.

Czech & Speak #88 - Candied Roses! Yeah! Wait... now it's just the classic rose... Damn... Good though, just smells like my Grandmother's rose soap.

Basala - Oh yeah! This stuff is THE cologne. It's what every "man's" cologne should be judged by. Seriously. It's a very classic and modern cologne at the same time. Really good stuff. Lavender? Fleeting citrus?... Wow. Good. Definitely masculine (CologneJunkie, if you haven't tried it, drop the phone and try it... I think you might like this one a lot.) Smells kind of familiar though... It's gonna bug me until I get my finger on it.

Antaeus - No thanks, too powdery for MY tastes. (I just adore Brit, so that's how powdery this is. Lipsticky)

Creative Universe - Luce
    - Hmmm... Didn't strike me at first, but now it smells hauntingly of a pool I used to work at. In a good way. Cheap suntan lotion, chlorine, grassy knolls... Ice machine. I kind of like it now.

That's it folks! markc gave me three free samples with my decant purchase, and everything was perfect. Packaging, the sample vials, communication, speed, and price. Sweet seller! Thanks mark!
    - Rich

EDIT 2-1-07 :
    OK, I've tested more again.

Luce - Ummm... wow. I don't know why, but this fragrance has really been pleasing me. I have to find a bottle of it now. Seriously, it's not a good scent, and it's really not constructed very well (Completely linear), but it has great staying power, and I cannot stop smelling it. I can't think of when I'd want to smell like it, but this is exactly how I smelt after a day of working at the pool. Where would I get it? I've found one bottle on eBay, but it's not buy it now.

Basala - I'll eventually get a bottle of this, it's great but it doesn't seem to have much lasting power. I'll just have to remember to use lotion that day. To me, it seems like a "deep" cologne, you can't pick out all the individual notes at once, but at some time or another, you'll get 'em all.

Egoiste - Another bottle on my wishlist. Simply divine, and has great sillage.

Royal English Leather - Still a little soapy, but I can smell the lavender, and it has a sweet delicateness to it that I like now.

Bois du Portugal - I completely misunderstood this fragrance. It's not too heavy, and the spice (Is that cinnamon?) with the woods (Bois) is a really great mix. Not very good staying power though.

I'll keep reviewing them, and I'll keep you updated! Next up is Crypt, Havana, and Fou de Absinthe.
    - Rich

EDIT - 2-2-07:
    I got my L'Artisans in the mail today, and some more samples which I am going to review (again since I accidentally closed the window) right now.

Comme de Garcons Red: Sequoia - I was born, and lived in California for four years, and my family made once or twice a year trips to the National Reserve Redwood Forests, the Sequoias. I was expecting this to take me back, and in a way, it did. It took me back to the seventh grade when we cleaned the class guinea pig cages. It's not a bad scent, but I can't imaging wanting to smell like this. After the dry down, it's more interesting and sensual, but it's almost undetectable. I might get a bottle anyways, cause I like the smell of wood and wood chips.

Geir - I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but I'm not impressed. It's a used car salesman smell to me. Good sillage though.

L'Homme Sage - Wow. This is a stunner. It's... inexplicable. I can't even begin to comprehend the notes before me, though someday I intend to, and it's still amazing to behold. From such a small house as Divine, I'm very impressed. I don't mean to be cheesy, but this is what the Garden of Eden smells like.

Havana - I don't think it's that similar to Egoiste anymore, but it is a very good scent. It's really hard to pick out the individual notes, and the longevity isn't very good, so I probably wont get a bottle, but I definitely want to try the Reserva edition in a decant, to see how long it lasts.

Blenheim Bouquet - What? It's not a floral to my nose. It just smells cheap to me, but to each his own.

Dzing! - This is another stunner. I haven't smelled anyone that smells this unique (in a good way). Definitely glad I got it.

Voleur de Roses - I put the last of my sample on my hand at 6 this morning (I wasn't up early, I was up late studying Calculus. I kicked its ass, and it won't be saying anything until next week). I can still smell it. It's one of my scents that's going to smell soooooo good it the right circumstances. It smells good anytime, but I'm feeling certain situations will garner its attention more than others.

That's it for now, I intend to do the rest I tested early in the week again, have no fear! Bottles on my wish list right now include Egoiste, Luce (I don't know why, it's not that good, but I like the smell of it), Basala (or Dunhill Edition), L'Homme Sage, and Philosykos (again).

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

OK, I continued to test, and what do you know, I bought some of the scents that I didn't like off of the bat. Just goes to show, if at first you don't succeed...
    The bottles I ended up getting are:

Voleur de Roses (Ended up trading it away, no longevity)
    Dzing! (Soooo good! Used to hate this one so much though.)
    Egoiste (Why wouldn't I?)
    Havana (Excellent trade, excellent swapper \/ He's the first reply, if you need a hint)
    Antaeus (Why oh why did I think that this wasn't for me? IDIOT! I love it now though!)
    L'Homme Sage (Still as good as the first time I smelled it, and getting better!)

So, I've continued testing niche, and I've compiled some that I'd like to review.

Jardin de Kerylos by Parfumerie Generale
    This is the first Fig based scent for the PG line, and I was so freaking psyched when I heard they were making one! I ordered a sample, and to save on shipping, I pulled a few more I've been itching to try and pulled out that damned debit card again. The description Luckyscent put on their site is actually spot on, except for a few discrepancies.
    1.) It is a dry fig, which I have loved ever since I smelled my first fig, Ichnusa by Profumum. Since I've been looking for another fig as good or close to that one, I was elated when I saw this on Luckyscent.
    2.) It is not the whole tree. I've tested scents based around all different components of the Fig tree, and this one is missing the fruit. I detect the leaves, wood, and bark, but no fruit in this one... SWEET! Just what I was looking for really...
    3.) I was not dissapointed.
    It really is quite similar to Ichnusa, but it is not a completely dry fig. While Ichnusa has more of a dusty leaves smell to it, the leaves in this one (while green and juicy), are not overbearingly prominent like the leaves in Philosykos or Heeley (Which by the way, had too much fruit, and lent a super sweet smell to it... YUCK!)
    You can feel the tree in this one, which is partly why I liked Ichnusa so much, it made it so much more real. Philosykos is a runner up to these two, and I think will always be.
    I'm going to devote a day with Ichnusa on one hand, Jardin on the other to compare them better.

Bois Blonde by Parfumerie Genderale
    I had to test this one when I read it had ceral in it. As I'm wearing it right now, I sense a little spiciness coming off of it, maybe cinnamon or clove... Requires way more testing, but I am loving this one so far!

Carnation by CDG
    While the name is far too long for me to right out, this is a very cool fragrance. Cool in the Prince way, everybody respects him (I hope), but no one else could do what he does. This is indeed a Carnation, although a little too sweet for my tastes, I enjoy this one very much so far. I wanted a bottle right away, but when it went sweet, I reconsidered. I expect a Carnation to be a little more cool and calm than this.

Route du Vetiver by MPG
    Didn't like it right off the bat, but as it progressed, I was more and more impressed with it. Still requires way more testing, but I don't think I'll be getiing a bottle. Soon.

Bois de Copaiba by Parfumerie Generale
    Candy sweet, not for me. Wish I could review this longer, but it couldn't keep my attention for more than ten seconds.

Corps et Ames by Parfumerie Generale
    I am so unbelievably conflicted with this one... I want to like it, and I want to wear it, but I somehow can't. It's cool, fresh, and oh so subtle, but this is a Chypre that I'm afraid won't work for me. If I spend $80, I've got to know that I'll enjoy it, but after three sample wearings, I don't think this is wearable for me. Too bad, it's an excellent fragrance, very well constructed, and just plain smells good.

Querelle by Parfumerie Generale
    I wasn't really impressed by this. The two times I wore it, I was much more impressed with whatever I had on the other hand, and this one really didn't turn my head. Inspired by romance? More like romance novels... *yawn*.

I've got a couple more I want to review, but I've got class in four hours, and I think that Statistics for Engineers may take presence over Parfumerie Generale... did I just say that? Of course it doesn't, but my prof would disagree.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 3rd April 2007 at 08:24 AM.

Thrax

Default Re: Tested some more niche

I didnt find Antaeus to be powdery, but I did like it quite a bit.

With VDR I swapped my bottle away pretty quick becuase it's really more about patchoulli (as many basenoters have noted) and less about the roses, though they are definatley there.

Never tried Luce, though Mare is excellent.

I sold my bottle of 88 to another fine basenoter, and I do miss it from time to time.

DONT LISTEN ANNIE BASALA IS A SPICY AS HELL MAN SCENT! Had to save her before she tried it and it knocked her out.

Havana is beautiful, but WAY different than Egoiste. Egoiste smells kinda like a very "bright" apple pie. To me anyway....

Fou d'Absinthe but my bottle went to another basenoter cause I found that it was just to piney for me, though longevity was excellent.

Philosykos is nice. Might I suggest Premier Figuer Extreme by L'artisan? I got rid of my bottle of that as well.

Damn! Why do I get rid of stuff and then wish I hadnt? Oh yeah, I'm a junkie! I remember now.

Antaeus, and powdery ? Its drydown is dry woods with a hint of Amber. Perhaps Chanel's finest mens fragrance. Maybe its the sage and lavender top notes which put you off ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    Crypt - Umm... Waffle syrup? OK... Ummm... No thanks.
    What's Crypt? I that one of the Goth Rosary scents?

Love the name ...

Thanks for your Reviews Rich,
    Wow! You tested an amazing bunch of scents. Wait a week and test them all again. It would be fun to see if your initial impressions have changed at all. I bet you perceive some a bit different on second test.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 1st February 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Thanks for your Reviews Rich,
    Wow! You tested an amazing buch of scents. Wait a week and test them all again. It would be fun to see if your initial impressions have changed at all. I bet you perceive some a bit different on second test.
    Oh, I plan on it, but I'm gonna go ahead and buy a bottle of VdR... I wore it to bed last night, and it's still amazing. Really amazing. I think a bottle of Dzing! is in order too. <- Never thought I'd say that. I don't think Philosykos is wearable for me... as much as I LOVE figs, and especially this one, it's almost gourmand for how edible the creamy fig note is, and most gourmands I can't wear. This one was really close to being in my wardrobe the next day though, and I may yet purchase it, just have to test it some more.
    - Rich

OK. I bought my first l'Artisans... I feel almost like I have fulfilled my "repentance" for thinking lowly of this house before. I bought a bottle of Voleur de Roses, and *drumroll*.... Dzing! I really never thought that I would ever buy a bottle of something I disliked so much, but after wearing it all day, I know purchasing a bottle was the 'right' thing to do. I can still smell it on my arm, it's like a second skin to me now. Just thought you might like an update! I'm planning on getting decants of Tea 4 Two and Merchant Loup soon, but I have to finish testing the decants I just bought. Any suggestions from the AWESOME house of l'Artisan? (Never thought I'd say that either.)
    - Rich

I just found a bunch of l'artisan bottles and candles being sold on Ebay. Not sure how reliable the seller is though (he does have a 99.9% rating). L'Artisan's retail price is much lower than serge lutens and creed anyways.
    -

Yeah, but I can't find a full bottle of either VdR or Dzing!
    - Rich

OK. I now officially respect the house of l'Artisan. Voleur de Roses is divine. I also tested Dzing! (again), and Fou d'Absinthe.

That's it folks! markc gave me three free samples with my decant purchase, and everything was perfect. Packaging, the sample vials, communication, speed, and price. Sweet seller! Thanks mark!
    - Rich
    Dang! Awesome post, very well written! I love reading about people's experiences with fragrance.

Also...if you're willing to wait for a little bit, I suggest setting up a "favorite search" on eBay. You can add any search to a favorite search and eBay will send you email whenever items matching your search terms are found.

That's how I got my bottles of Timbuktu and Musc Ravageur for a LOT less than retail. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by linnea; 28th January 2007 at 05:46 AM.

Great post, reviews, and stories of smelling these greats, Rich. Fun to read--thanks.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Voleur de Roses - Took me by surprise... Big time. I was excited for the Czech & Speake #88, but VdR beats it out in the long run... big time. #88 is candied rose, and VdR is "secret garden" roses. Unbelievably good. I'm glad I tried it, and it will most likely be my first l'Artisan. Yes, $85. I'm ready and willing to smell this good.
    - Rich
    ) I hope that you one day can try Tea for Two and Passage of Enfer over even to The Pour en Ethe.
    I believe you will otherwise stay, otherwise but equally fascinated by the extraordinary complexity of these perfumes and you will agree in to think that the Artisan is one of the few maisons if not the only to produce a whole so fascinating perfumes!

Hi, mr.setter
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]

I put the new review up top. You told me to keep you posted!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

You have made some great choices Rich...again good info and fun reading.
    I think I may try VDR again soon after reading your thoughts on it. You really think that CologneJunkie would like Basala? Hmm..interesting. I would think it would be too much for her based on her tastes, but would be fun to get a sample to her and see what she thinks.

Had you noticed that several of your favourites (Voleur de Roses, Dzing! and Philosykos) share the same nose? They're all by Olivia Giacobetti - she's a wonderful perfumer.

Reminds me of when I tested Dzing! the first time. "What's the fuzz all about?"
    "Oh wow, quite good - is that leather?"

"I need a bottle of this and I sware I'll make it my signature scent!"

.... at least for a day
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Thanks for the detailed reviews! Many of these are scents I intend to test myself someday soon.

Basala - Oh yeah! This stuff is THE cologne. It's what every "man's" cologne should be judged by. Seriously. It's a very classic and modern cologne at the same time. Really good stuff. Lavender? Fleeting citrus?... Wow. Good. Definitely masculine (CologneJunkie, if you haven't tried it, drop the phone and try it... I think you might like this one a lot.) Smells kind of familiar though... It's gonna bug me until I get my finger on it.
    EDIT 2-1-07 :
    OK, I've tested more again.

Basala - I'll eventually get a bottle of this, it's great but it doesn't seem to have much lasting power. I'll just have to remember to use lotion that day. To me, it seems like a "deep" cologne, you can't pick out all the individual notes at once, but at some time or another, you'll get 'em all.
    If you're fond of Basala, you might want to try Dunhill Edition too before committing to a purchase. I think they're very similar. Basala is a touch hotter and sweeter, especially during its first 20 minutes or so; Dunhill is a bit deeper and muskier in its drydown. I wore one on each wrist a couple of days ago and ended up buying the Dunhill.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel
    Had you noticed that several of your favourites (Voleur de Roses, Dzing! and Philosykos) share the same nose? They're all by Olivia Giacobetti - she's a wonderful perfumer.
    I knew about her being behind both Philosykos and Eau de Figuer, but not about VdR and Dzing!, thanks for the tip, I'll have to look out for her other stuff, she seems to have this "perfumery" thing down. PaulSC, thanks for the tip on DE, I'll definitely look into it. Basala isn't too expensive, but I still need to eat this month, so I'll have to sample it!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel
    Also, a quick directory search led me to a few of my other likes, and a bunch I already wanted to try, but want to try more now.

Costes - I love this scent, though it may be a little too feminine, I'll probably end up getting it and enjoying it.

Fou d'Absinthe - I love the beginning of this, but after 45 minutes, it's a "so fresh and so clean clean" smell. Soooooo close!

Passage d'Enfer - I'd really like to smell this one.

Tea for Two - I'll probably get it, but I haven't sampled it yet.

En Passant - I just want to try it, but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not.

Well, she's already my favorite perfumer, but depending on how I sample the rest, she may become my all time favorite!
    - Rich
    --------------------------------------
    There's a new review up top for anyone that cares!
    - Rich
    --------------------------------------
    New reviews up top,
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 4th February 2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i realy like Brit by Burberry, i notived that you have that in your favorite scents. What have you tested that smells like brit, just wondering cause thats the only scent i have right now. thnx!
    sam

Oh, sorry Intagniscent, didn't know you'd asked, otherwise I would have replied sooner. Thing is, I think Brit's fine by itself, I don't think you need another one like it. You haven't visited in a while, but along the sweet + winter route, check out John Varvatos.

New reviews yall! First few in a long time!
    - Rich

Basenotes Institution

So Rich, have you tried Passage D'Enfer or Tea for Two yet...interested to hear your thoughts.

I didn't really 'get' either of them, myself.

Didn't get to test Passage, but Tea for Two was decent. It's just too... er... tea-y. It wasn't for me, but I could see a few of my friends pulling this off with ease. It just gave me the "Coffee shop artsy" vibe, and I know people who'd freakin' love it, but it just wasn't for me. One positive note, it is a very smooth Tea. I've smelled a couple that kind of jarred when you first smelt them, but T42 doesn't have this problem at all.

I have a few more reviews to put up, I'm just being lazy as I have a Stat exam to study for... procrastination was the start of our fat nation...
    - Rich

I have always admired T 4 2 since my first sample 2 years ago, but always found another frag to get instead of it. I finally bought a 1.7 oz. bottle in Dallas over the weekend. I tried it and Chergui side by side and the T 4 2 just works better for me I guess.