Code of Conduct

Default demeter frgrances

has anyone here tried their stuff? i saw some really strange but cool fragrances on their site and was wondering if they were worth it for days i just want to feel fun (i could wear birthday cake or cotton candy) i know, i know... not for the real fragrance connosuier (spelled incorrectly, i'm sure) but i like silly things sometimes!
    http://www.myspace.com/mermaidsushi
    http://www.myspace.com/longdistancelovers

my all-time faves include anna sui, vera wang princess, nanette lepore, miracle, amor amor, juicy couture, ralph rocks & betsey johnson

decants i'm looking for:
    a sample vial/decant of viva la juicy by juicy couture
    anna sui scents (other than the original)

Default Re: demeter frgrances

go for it...I sampled Sex on the Beach and Gin and Tonic in a local boutique.
    Yes, very fun, and pretty nice fragrances, too! Very affordable fun , imo.
    Others have mentioned some of the scents here, Thunderstorm, and is it Wet Garden? One that did not appeal to me was Laundromat. Smelled like warm lint.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipstick
    has anyone here tried their stuff? i saw some really strange but cool fragrances on their site and was wondering if they were worth it for days i just want to feel fun (i could wear birthday cake or cotton candy) i know, i know... not for the real fragrance connosuier (spelled incorrectly, i'm sure) but i like silly things sometimes!
    they are fun and comparatively inexpensive. For me they fill a niche. They are light in the sense that you may have to reapply throughout the day. Presently, I am partial to the room sprays.
    I have Stable (was in a hay and straw craze) and leave it in my car.
    Olive Grove (mellow licorise w/ a kick)
    Beetroot (my favorite)
    Dirt

I've tried Ginger Ale and Cannibis.

They sell a limited number scents in smaller bottles (angel food, orange dreamsicle...)

Jam

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You're right, rtamara41, Wet Garden is one of the most popular. My husband and one of my girlfriends are big fans. It's often compared to the smell of a florist's refrigerator, I think because of a fresh (not peppery) carnation note. I don't care for it alone as much as I like using Wet Garden to layer with other florals. It seems to put the flowers back outside--nice effect.

I was just thinking of ordering some samples from one of the ebay sellers who will decant 6 samples for something like $6 + s&h. Thunderstorm is the one I want to try most because I do love a rainy day, and because sciencegirl got me to thinking how much I like natural scents from the real world. New Zealand is another along those lines.

The lament related to Demeter scents is their short-gevity, to coin a word. But spraying on clothes rather than skin gets extra mileage from the stuff.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

do you have a link to the ebay store where i can get the samples? i'd rather have a tiny bit of fragrance but more of a variety than have the huge bottles that i might not wear all that often. i want to try silly ones like popcorn and pretty much anything having to do with dessert.

my all-time faves include anna sui, vera wang princess, nanette lepore, miracle, amor amor, juicy couture, ralph rocks & betsey johnson

decants i'm looking for:

They tend not to last very long but for what they are, I think they are a lot of fun. I have Altoids, Salt Air and Holy Smoke.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I really like Pomogranate (true to it's name), Waffle Cone is AWESOME! too - I love to spray it in my hair - stays much longer that way, Brownie and esp. Black Russian are two of my fave dark chocolate scents from this line. My sister LOVES Sugar Cookie!

Longevity of these are fairly good, although I am aware that many of the others vanish within minutes of spraying them on. My sister is also impressed with longevity of Sugar Cookie... Black Russian has great lasting power on me; I only wish that Waffle Cone was stronger and laster longer...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

do you have a link to the ebay store where i can get the samples? i'd rather have a tiny bit of fragrance but more of a variety than have the huge bottles that i might not wear all that often. i want to try silly ones like popcorn and pretty much anything having to do with dessert.
    I just ordered samples of Thunderstorm, Cucumber, Chamomile Tea, Firefly, Prune and Flower Show from this seller:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Miss-Ds-Samples
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Birthday cake or candy wouldn't appeal to me, but I did purchase the Fig Leaf, (for my Mom) because I had purchased "Fig" by Henri Bendel, which was pretty, but too expensive. So I thought this one would be the same, well, it was not. It smelled too strong & cheap to my nose, but who knows, everyone's tastes are different, try one & see.

I had a large bottle of Laundromat that I loved as a linen spray. I had the Angel Food body lotion which I thought was drying to the skin & it had poor longevity. I bought my 3 year old daughter the Play-Doh scent which is quite a lovely heliotrope scent.
    I also have the Basil room spray, it's very refreshing & has ok longevity.
    I would recommend the Parfums de Coeur COTTON CANDY spray (I bought it at CVS but I think Wal-mart carries the line too). It's long lasting & smells really good. Here is their website:

http://www.parfumsdecoeur.com/juice_...cfm?category=2
    Last edited by tinker424; 28th January 2007 at 07:14 PM.

I just got my Lettuce and my Lilac. I like them both-- the lettuce is what I was hoping Cabotine would smell like. I don't know about lettuce, though, it is softly sweet and freshly green. The two layered together are pretty nice, too!

Sephora stores usually carry the demeter line. Free sniffing and they offer samples too.

the only sephora near me has on average about five demeter fragrances when on the website you are offered hundreds. i wish there was a way to ask the company for samples.

decants i'm looking for:

the only sephora near me has on average about five demeter fragrances when on the website you are offered hundreds. i wish there was a way to ask the company for samples.
    Now that you mention it, the two Sephora stores near me are very different. One has about 25% more perfumes than the other.

I was shopping for some samples and came across Scented Monkey. They do samples and they have a pretty good selection of demeter fragrances to choose from for $2.99 each.

I have Dirt, Fig Leaf and Flowershop. I love them all, but looking at the bottles, I've used them much less than much of my collection, I think because of their short lifespan on the skin.

Sephoras I've visited in the US only ever seem to have a very few of the Demeter fragrances on the shelves, usually from the cocktail range. Earthworm, Tomato, Playdoh and Rain are all on my 'things to buy' list at the moment. The Demeter fragrances are a really *enjoyable* line.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I've received the samples I mentioned earlier. The one that makes me smile is Firefly, which is supposed to represent a summer evening. It smells exactly like one is lying face-down on a freshly cut lawn with dandelions and dew-drenched soil. Thunderstorm smells similar, but weak by comparison to Firefly. Chamomile Tea is even more calming than the real beverage; it's like being transported to a Zen garden where you have no choice but to relax and meditate (forced meditation!?)

Prune doesn't smell like prune to me. Not sure what it smells like except something kind of perfumey. Cucumber is overwhelmed with honeydew melon (ick). Flower Show isn't bad, but it's not as desirable to me as Wet Garden, so I'm back where I started, preferring Wet Garden.

Default Re: demeter fragrances

I agree with others' statements about the short life of Demeter fragrances. I've had Brownie, Graham Cracker, Gin & Tonic, and Sex on the Beach. I love many of the others, though: Orange Cremesicle, Dirt, Wet Garden, etc. I usually end up giving up on them before the bottle is finished, though, because of the short life.

If you are having trouble finding them, you can also try Ulta stores. They usually have a very good selection, although it's mostly of the very popular, sweet-types.