Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuberose and Vetiver???

Of course I've heard of these notes and I also know they can be dreaded to some. However, I don't know how they smell. What are some examples of Tuberose and Vetiver perfumes? I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks...

Default Re: Tuberose and Vetiver???

This is just me understand? Our noses are all different and mine can be a little weird sometimes. Vetiver smells like a very, very strong wood. Tuberose smells like a rubbery jasmine. But so many scents that might not smell good to you by themselves can smell so much better when mixed with other things.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Tuberose and Vetiver???

Quote Originally Posted by MsMuse
    Of course I've heard of these notes and I also know they can be dreaded to some. However, I don't know how they smell. What are some examples of Tuberose and Vetiver perfumes? I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks...
    Vetiver's easy... smells a lot like grass. It's the frontliner in Guerlain's Vetiver, as well as Azzaro's Pure Vetiver, and I think Roger & Gallet has a decent vetiver scent, too.

Tuberose... Try Bath & Body Works. They should have a Henri Bendel Home scented candle by that name. It's very cloyingly sweet, in my opinion. The main note in Fracas by Robert Piguet is Tuberose.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver - as noted above there are lots of named vetiver scents - each of them treats the main note in a different way - but the central theme is the grassy, juicy, deep, savoury note. It's not something I've taken to easily, but I wore Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire a couple of days ago - many people say it is the ultimate vetiver - and started to get a sense of what all the fuss is about.

Tuberose - is not shy. The scents that I know that have this as a dominant note are Fracas, and to some extent Carnal Flower. To be honest I am not experienced enough to tell you if/how this extraordinary note can be mishandled - but the examples I know are deep and complex and intoxicating.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...Fracas. I smelled that once from a magazine sample. I know that is not a fair analysis of the fragrance, but it got my attention and it was a firm NO! I believe everything deserves a second chance though. I will try it again. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try going to the florist's for tuberose? Very intense right from the flower and unadulterated.

Tuberose is too heavy for my taste, very night-blooming flowers with a cloying, heavy, almost sticky-sweet quality.

Vetiver makes me think of old libraries: a slightly sharp resin of old wood, dust, and leather bindings. It appeals to the bespectacled researcher bookworm in me.

hombre de flores polianthenes tuberosa is wonderful!
    Last edited by nycflaneur; 8th October 2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: change of opinion