Code of Conduct

Default Thought I'd share...

As an introductory assignment in my English class, I had to write a 2-page paper on something about myself, or something that interests me, etc., and to be sure to include lots of detail. I give you all one guess what I chose. It was actually extremely hard to limit myself to two pages; I had to over-simplify some things to make it fit. But anyway, I thought I'd like to share it with you lovely people who have helped me along in this wonderful hobby. Sorry the format is a bit cramped...it didn't transfer well when I cut'n'pasted from Word. Also, I'm not turning it in until tomorrow, so if you have any editing suggestions, please suggest away!

Introductory Letter
    1/29/07

Hi, my name is Brittany, and I am a perfume addict.
    My ‘hobby,’ also known as my obsession with perfume, came out of nowhere. It was triggered a mere few months ago by a seemingly harmless desire: I wanted to smell ‘sexy’ for my boyfriend. At that point, I owned one bottle of a perfume that I sort of liked, but hardly ever wore. And the times I did wear it, my boyfriend had never commented, except to ask “Um, what’s that smell?” And since he asked with a sideways, quizzical look and wrinkled nose, I was reasonably sure he didn’t find it sexy. A trip to the mall was in order.
    So I went to Nordstrom, and timidly approached the fragrance department. Though I started slowly, not sure what the protocol was, after watching a couple other shoppers, I quickly picked up steam: picking up tester bottles, spraying the thin white strips of test paper, waving them rapidly back and forth to let the alcohol evaporate, then bringing them under my nose and inhaling the miniature olfactory landscape of each one. Of course, at the time, each fragrance was not a ‘miniature olfactory landscape’ to my nose. Each one was simply a mysterious smell. I could perceive that each one was different, but I didn’t know what they were, what made them different; I didn’t know why one made me absentmindedly smile and sigh, while another made me furrow my eyebrows and frown, and yet another nearly made me gag.
    Finally, after smelling at least twenty different perfumes, I had settled on one in a gorgeous, deep-purple glass bottle cut to look like a grenade. It was called ‘Flowerbomb Extreme’. At the time, had someone asked, I would have said it smelled ‘sexy’. Now, I would describe it as a sumptuous, dark, patchouli-based fragrance, with black tea in the top notes, and a heart of rose and jasmine. That trip to the mall exposed me to the art form that is perfume, and ever since, I’ve been voraciously learning what there is to know about it.
    That same night, I got on the Internet and found an online community for fragrance enthusiasts, who happen to be a funny, passionate, articulate group of people. I have since spent many hours reading reviews of perfumes, posting on message boards devoted to perfume-related topics, and most importantly, ordering samples! The first thing I realized was that I needed to train my nose by sampling different things and studying their ‘notes’, or the list of scents that make up the perfume, thereby learning to recognize particular notes, such as patchouli, jasmine, sandalwood, oakmoss, etc. Many perfume houses, especially the niche ones (relatively small artisan houses), will gladly send you samples of their fragrances, either for free or for a small shipping fee, in hopes that you will fall in love with them and buy full bottles. Much to my delight, there are hundreds of perfume houses, and thousands of fragrances out there to sample.
    Now my roommates just roll their eyes at my huge grin whenever the postman delivers another order of perfume samples. They joke that my ‘connection’ has arrived with my ‘fix’. And as I rush to my room to fill index cards with my thoughts about each fragrance, I briefly wonder if they’re right, and I’m really crazy. But then I remember that developing a passion for perfume has taught me to use and appreciate my sense of smell in all situations, not just when I’m in the fragrance department at Nordstrom. I notice and savor the smell of burning leaves, or freshly disturbed soil, or my dog when he’s been laying in the sun . . . all things I missed before happening upon this hobby. They’re wonderful, the details I delight in that I missed before. Plus, my boyfriend thinks I smell sexy. So, I’m proud to repeat: “Hi, my name is Brittany, and I am a perfume addict!”

Default Re: Thought I'd share...

A Plus!!

(And remember - stick with the active voice!)

Let us know how you made out. :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thanks for sharing that. It was delightful!

Thanks ladies! I feel better about turning it in now. And yes, I'll definetely post my grade (I wish Taolady got to do the grading...)

That was beeeuuutiful Brittany, and I really liked the following line .

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    That same night, I got on the Internet and found an online community for fragrance enthusiasts, who happen to be a funny, passionate, articulate group of people.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Post Re: Thought I'd share...

And where did you find such a group of fragrance enthusiasts? Oh, wait, you mean basenotes. Just kidding, somebody had to do it. Great job on the paper. I hope you get an A+.

Very nice! A great way to describe the initiation into the world of perfumes. Good luck!
    You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. -- Colette

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

“Hi, my name is Brittany, and I am a perfume addict!”
    ::chorus of Basenoter's voices answer::

"Hi Brittany"

~Nice work!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

[QUOTE=Silvergirl]
    Now my roommates just roll their eyes at my huge grin whenever the postman delivers another order of perfume samples. They joke that my ‘connection’ has arrived with my ‘fix’. And as I rush to my room to fill index cards with my thoughts about each fragrance, I briefly wonder if they’re right, and I’m really crazy. /QUOTE]

Sounds like my family!
    Thanks for sharing...very nice and fun to read.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Great opening letter. I think it's perfect for your purpose. I also give you an A+!

And good luck!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

That was nice to read! Thank you for sharing it. Nothing like fragrance to get the creative juices flowing. "Olfactory landscapes" - so true! I like your idea about keeping your notes and thoughts on fragrances on index cards. I never thought of that. I like the simplicity of that better than my excel spreadsheet.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all enjoyed it...though I wonder how interesting it will be to my professor. I turned it in this morning, so we'll see...

Oh, bravo. I hope it more people addicted, oops I mean else interested.

bleu autumn haze

Very nice, Brittany ... I think it will get a good grade, too.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

As promised, my grade:

(drumroll please......)

Got an A

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read it and give me feedback!

Congratulations!

Good call girl, good call.
    - Rich

Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Fantastic!

As promised, my grade:

(drumroll please......)

Got an A

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read it and give me feedback!
    Told ya!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

yay! an A, and you articulated so beautifully our common journey. way to go!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose