Code of Conduct

Default Ehmm,is this weird?

Many of my lady friends trusted me in recommending scents and I told them that it's very subjective, even the same scent may smell different on different days. I told them that I don't really find the recent releases for women scents to be appealing at all. I much prefer men's EDT or EDP or unisex scent on women because I do not find most of the women scents out there to be appealing or sexy but I do make an exception and I find Obsession for Women to be extremely sexy. Smelling sexy is very important to me and I find men's perfume on women to be a huge turn on and a head turner. I guess I just like the boldness of a girl that is able to pull off something like that. It's like "Wow,this girl has guts!Sexy!" So I told them just wear a men's scent so I recommended GIT,SMW,Roma for Men,Burberry Brit for Men,Dior Homme, Black XS,Navegar,Gai Mattiolo Uomo,Bulgari Black,and of course Obsession for Women but not all women are able to pull that one off. Coz if they asked me, I guess right now at this moment,they are asking the wrong person. So do you think it's weird that I've lost my faith in women's scents and prefer women to wear men's cologne?
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Default Re: Ehmm,is this weird?

Not at all. I've been trying to get my DW to go along with this idea to almost no avail. She 'likes' my Derby but "it's a man's cologne........"
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

It's been like 3 of my lady co-workers asked me what scents that they should buy because just like me,they are bored with the recent offerings and had the same idea that almost all of the recent offerings smelt similar. Yes I told them,that's why don't waste your money so you'll smell just like the next girl,too generic and boring. Thus, I want them to stand out from the crowd and people would notice that Wow,this girl smells different. I would love to smell GIT on a women, that would be so sexy. I'll cuddle up to her all night!!! And these are the same women that said to me GIT just smells so good. Go get a bottle girl!!!!We would love to smell GIT on you!!!

Man, it's so hard to convince them and one of them just bought Kenzo today, aaaarghhhh!!!!!!noooo!!!!!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu
    So do you think it's weird that I've lost my faith in women's scents and prefer women to wear men's cologne?
    Noooooooooooooope . Of course...I'm just a tad bit biased......
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Blog Entries

I am a woman who has no problem at all with wearing men's colognes and EDTs. Especially given the fact that Mens EDTs tend to have greater focus upon base notes (woods, spices, leather, animalic notes), depth, sillage and longevity for about half of the price of ladies perfume. What's with that??!!

Anyway, another option open to these ladies seeking to seperate themselves, scentwise, from the crowd is for them to seek out classic and / or vintage perfumes from yesteryear. Givenchy, Dior, Lancome, Balmain, Coty, Dana, Houbigant, Rochas all have stunning perfumes from their older catalogues (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s). Quality & longevity were better then so the perfumes seem very strong by today's standards. I tend to decant and apply by dabbing lightly rather than spraying and that works very well.

Or you could advise them to seek out niche / Independent brands like Serge Lutens, L'Artisans Parfumer, Ava Luxe, Ayala Moriel, Montale, and Frederic Malle all of which are popular on Basenotes but are yet to really feature / dominate on the average perfume buyer.

Welcome to Basenotes! Why not introduce your lady friends to Basenotes so that they can learn and begin to spread the gospel themselves...
    Last edited by moondeva; 30th January 2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Noooooooooooooope . Of course...I'm just a tad bit biased......
    erm ... just a tad!!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Mens EDTs tend to have greater focus upon base notes (woods, spices, leather, animalic notes), depth, sillage and longevity for about half of the price of a ladie's perfume. What's with that??!!
    It might be that womens perfumes typically focus on florals and fruits that gives men's cologne the upper hand in sillage/longevity. As for price, most womens' fragrances are EdP which makes the ingredients more expensive. Womens perfumes are also more marketable than men's cologne. Perfume is just another accessory of clothing/fashion that women are very likely to buy while cologne is a luxury that many men DON'T buy. If they price cologne lower, it's more likely to sell. If they price perfume higher, it won't matter, because they assume that women will still buy it.
    - Rich

PS - No, it's not wierd. I would love to smell Brit Burberry for Men on a few lady friends of mine.

I would love to smell anything in my collection on almost any girl

I like men's scents more than women's for the most part. It's not the 'masculine' vs 'feminine' aspect of it- I just am not a big fan of the notes used in many women's perfumes. They are not sexy at all. My favorite 'feminine' perfumes could easily be worn by men.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I had an incredible encounter with a classic women's perfume recently: sitting next to a girl on a bus who smelled absolutely wonderful, in that classic, and all but forgotten way. I asked her what she was wearing and it was Vanderbilt — then, an hour later, I saw it in a shop: it was selling for $28.00.

Ravishingly beautiful perfume with a very classic profile: smelling something that had that classical feel on a teenager (or thereabouts) was such a refreshing change from the ubiquitous Angel.

Edit: So my point was, in case it wasn't clear, that there are many classic female perfumes out there, one just has to be adventurous. And they have great projection and elegance. I would suggest your friends go that way, rather than jumping to the male fragrances first — though I have no problem with any of those you recommended. So I'm really backing up Moondeva's point, in a rambling, anecdotal way.
    Last edited by Eluard; 30th January 2007 at 12:23 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

I find most of womens scents to smell to similar. There are 50 Gap scents and 200 Chanel scents. It is so hard to distinguish and really be captivated by a scent. I happen to have an arsenal of womens wear that I recomend to my friends when I am asked (only after they find out I'm a crazy person with more colognes that shirts).

In my opinion, they all smell good. I'm sure the smell of a men's cologne would really turn my head but I havn't smelled any women wearing a men's fragrance yet. So, no I don't think you are crazy because the have created so many scents for women that they lack pizzazz and appeal on a deaper level then just smelling decent.

Dear Sir,
    Yes, that is weird! But I'm totally weird, so I fully support your activities!

Seriously, I definitely agree with your idea. But I do find "women's perfumes" to be very sexy, too. Despite the fact that I've been hanging here for awhile now, I just don't know as many of them by sight, er, smell. Mostly I know some of the classics, and a few newer ones.

A big shout out to Indonesia!
    Dave

Several years ago when I wore Paco Rabanne, I had a girlfriend who would also put some on when she was at my place. This was before I had ever heard of unisex scents, but I never thought it was weird because it smelled so good on her. In fact, I can't think of that scent today without thinking of her...

Thanks for all the replies! A shout out to Dave too in the U.S! I miss living in Las Vegas! Like what Envyus wrote, the recent offerings lack pizzaz. The problem is that it is kind of difficult to find niche fragrances. I can get limited offerings by Creed, Annicke Goutal, Bond Bleecker Street,I think that's the only niche houses that I could get here in Jakarta, Indonesia. It's different in Singapore where there are much more choices.

The best perfumes seem to be either unisex, masculine scents(aimed to men) that smell feminine or female scents(aimed to women) that smell masculine. LOL, just something I noticed from the perfumes I enjoy.

Dependent

I'm typing away at the computer and my wife stops - straight from the shower - and says " I love that cologne and starts nuzzling my neck and going mmmmmmmm" - what is is she says - I tell her it's Gucci Pour Homme which I can either take or leave. And she is picky!