Code of Conduct

Cool $$ Serge Lutens raking in money $$

Ok, so its the cosmetics line which is bringing in most of the dough, but the fragrances have been doing quite well too.

For more details and numbers, head over to:

http://www.taggle.us/toucouleur/ecom...akeup-presence

This house's popularity is clearly on the rise !
    -

Default Re: $$ Serge Lutens raking in money $$

This is the succes of the smartest big cosmetic corporation in the world...Shiseido! They have invested since 1981 in a exceptional man with a huge cultural and intellectual background who as Art Director has preserved and developped identity, image and susbtance all that with typical asian long term investment mentality and intelligence.

Serge Lutens was the first one to envision the niche market back in 1992 opening Les Salons des Palais Royal Shiseido, slowly but surely bringing durable substance to a unique project.

With more than 40 fragrances like the most wearable of all Clair de Musc and Un Lys, the very sexy and feminine Fleurs d 'Oranger, oriental scents like Douce Amere or Fumerie or more masculine scents like Chene and Muscs Koublai Khan everybody can find something they love and that makes them feel special.

Is he single?

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    Is he single?
    widowed - he lost a young wife that he loved a lot

I can't believe that they charge like eighty bucks for a lipstick.

Their March release, Rousse, sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    I can't believe that they charge like eighty bucks for a lipstick.
    I hope it doesn't come in a bell jar ..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp

He knows what chic women want! they don 't want lipsticks with big DIOR and Chanel letters on it that anyone can get for $20!

My favorite lipstick is Sephora # 40, it 's $12 but besides that I love the Lutens makeup stunning sober chic artwork, black lackered design that reminds me Nombre Noir

I can 't wait to get the base foundation, I keep hearing good things about the foundation

Hee! Are you making fun of me, mister?? In my defense, my Lutens cost about the same as my L'Artisan or Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle. I guess that there's different strokes for different folks. I don't wear lipstick, so I can't imagine spending that much on it. I have some MAC Lustreglass, but that's as close as I get to lipstick.

Going back to the bell jars...WHY does Monsieur Lutens have to make those gorgeous, special-edition bell jars?? I'm dying to get one. And yes, the prices on those make an $80 lipstick look like pocket change.
    Last edited by linnea; 30th January 2007 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Their March release, Rousse, sounds amazing.

heres a great Rousse review by The Scented Salamander

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...s_perfume.html

Blog Entries

I'll stick to my cherry Chap Stick that comes in 3 packs for $2!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Sorry women, but those bell jars are the ugliest things since the bond no. 9 starfish bottles !

And the Rousse reviews which have been cropping up at various popular blog sites (and these are the serge lutens Makeupalley fanatics!) have been less than impressive - the general consensus is that its about time the Sheldrake-Lutens collaboration be reinvented or broken up altogether.
    -

Whoever posted a while back that Kiehl's Musk is a a deadringer for MKK is absolutely right. I actually prefer the Kiehl's a tiny tiny bit, but it's pretty much a draw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Serge Lutens is a Grade-A cheeseball. Have you seen photos of his "salon" in Paris? It's all purple and has little gold stars in the ceiling and dragon figurines everywhere -- it's like something an eight-year-old girl would think is cool.

it 's so easy to be critical, I think and many others think the bell jars are stunning, my boyfriend thinks it looks like a poison bottle something very cool

The boutique is amazing artwork and nothing out of an 8 yr od little girls imagination (but how would she know that she probably never went there!), remember that Shiseido chose and trusted Serge Lutens 25 yrs ago to be their image consultant art director with 'Carte Blanche' or wild card something that noone else but him in that industry has and probably ever will! Not only they ve remained 100% loyal to Serge Lutens but their collaboration is a huge huge well deserved succes! The man is a visionaire, I don 't see anyone else that comes close to that or plz tell me who.
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 30th January 2007 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakelosangeles

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Serge Lutens is a Grade-A cheeseball. Have you seen photos of his "salon" in Paris? It's all purple and has little gold stars in the ceiling and dragon figurines everywhere -- it's like something an eight-year-old girl would think is cool.
    I dont get that aesthetic. I saw pics of that at a blog somewhere - some very weird stuff. What really goes on at the "Salon", who knows ?
    -

I dont get that aesthetic. I saw pics of that at a blog somewhere - some very weird stuff. What really goes on at the "Salon", who knows ?
    how frustrating to read things like these when they don 't know what they re talking about and just rely on preconceived ideas because some uncultured untraveled people are hostile to cultural elitism which is the reflection of their own shortcomings!
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 30th January 2007 at 06:54 AM.

Of course Luten is money, how much could hay, mud, tar, and honey cost??!!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Talking Re: $$ Serge Lutens raking in money $$

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    Of course Luten is money, how much could hay, mud, tar, and honey cost??!!

TNMA

that was very profound! lol

I was expecting something really outstanding by the bell jars but when I received my bottle, I was slightly disappointed. There weren't really anything special. Plus, they're so tiny, they look so big in pics.

The salon sounds really cool, love to visit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bois et Musc
    how frustrating to read things like these when they don 't know what they re talking about and just rely on preconceived ideas because some uncultured untraveled people are hostile to cultural elitism which is the reflection of their own shortcomings!
    Geeez, do fellow members have to follow your opinion or they become "uncultured untraveled people" who don't know what they're talking about?

Bois et Musc, I've warned you very recently about Basenotes rule #8: Be respectful: "If someone doesn't have the same views as you, it does not make them a moron."

No more insults.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

naughty elitist! and so misguided!

the bell jars are a horror. and what a pain are you gonna "splash" lutens? and it's not pur parfum so you're not gonna dab. it's simply a pain in the butt and the jars really do not thrill. Even the spray bottles are to quote Vida Pierce "definitely not the best".

Serge Lutens may have loved his wife very much but, Mary, is he really and truly like some kind of, uh, hetero?! After all, there are lots of men who love their wives very much: Dom Deluise, Neil Sedaka, Der Prince von Turn und Taxis, Tom Cruise, William Burroughs...
    Last edited by supermarky; 30th January 2007 at 10:44 AM.

This 'Bash Serge' thread is making me chuckle. I don't care whether he's a bumbandit or not - finding out Neil Sedaka is doesn't make me like his music any more than I did already (esp. 'Oh Carol'). And I don't fancy either of them fwiw, and Tom Cruise's teeth scare me. I'll stick with my Wentworth Miller fantasies for the time being...

Poor Bois et Musc is all alone trying to defend the tiny little Morocco dwelling man.

I'm a fan though. I think Rousse is great and wrote a review saying as much. Some people will be annoyed cos it's not a heavy oriental, some will think it's more of the same, some will like it, others will enjoy it because it's different from more recent SLs, and a few will love it.

The bell jars are a case of form over function - they are glorious to look at, I think (and tie into the whole apothecary / magician thing if you're into it), but don't function well. The export bottles are fine - clean, simple, precise, and in spite of what you say super supermarky, they're good, decent bottles. I decant from the bells into mini-atomisers; it's a tough old job, but somehow, some way, I cope...

Now, as for the Salon, I'm not into purple, faux orientalism or that quasi-mystical schtick. However, I can see why it works in the saturated Parisian market - it's a counterpoint to the establised BCBG approach of the big houses, and opposes the minimalist strategies of a lot of recent branding. It marks out Lutens as different and distinct. You don't have to buy into it to appreciate the scents though.

And most perfume companies are aiming for an elitist brand identity after all. Some are just more successful at playing that game. It doesn't stop me, an avowed pleb, from enjoying the scents I enjoy.

I'm with Leopoldo. I like the Bel jar's , but they ARE not userfriendly, I admit. They made me snag some (throw away) pipettes from the lab at work to decant the Lutens juice. If I ever get fired for this, I did it for Serge...

So now it's Lutens that get's bashed, don't worry Bois, it's always someone. Most of the times it's Creed, then Bond. Last time it was Tauer and now it's uncle Serge. Let's do a top 10. I don't care really, cause there are also lot's of
    threads that hype Lutens, so it balances it out a bit. (as long as it's with respect to each other).

Back to the topic, I remember reading , I think a year ago, on cosmeticnews, that things were not so great for the Shiseido brands , but that the only steady factor was , in fact, Lutens, because of it's popularity in Europe AND in the U.S. I can't find the article anymore. I suspect this is going to be a good year for Shiseido, releasing the first mens fragrance for Narcisco Rodriquez and the new male Gaultier.

Yeah, those bell jars should either be scrapped or have spray attachments placed on them. I love the shape of these bottles but that's as far as it goes. I visit Paris every year and have yet to cave into buying anything from the exclusive line, solely because of this.

I'm still waiting for the day when I'll be able to properly apply Santal de Mysore DIRECTLY from its original bottle...

Thumbs down Re: $$ Serge Lutens raking in money $$

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Geeez, do fellow members have to follow your opinion or they become "uncultured untraveled people" who don't know what they're talking about?

Bois et Musc, I've warned you very recently about Basenotes rule #8: Be respectful: "If someone doesn't have the same views as you, it does not make them a moron."

No more insults.
    --Chris

uh! what? excuse me? so there 's a double standart now? they have "opinions" and I guess I 'm the one whos rude though! LOL give me a break, thats called double standart, how lame is this??

I have opinions too and I speak out against nonsense bashing and ignorance always provinding interesting information, this Lutens bashing is ridiculous and unjustified specially coming from a guy who lives in Alabama and saw two pix online, give me a break! uh lol lets be serious here!
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 30th January 2007 at 03:07 PM.

Though I don't love every SL scent (and why should anybody), I love their work, and find it original, distinctive, and very independent, so I say HURRAY to Serge and Christopher. Good going, guys, and keep up the good work!

And please, no more "comments" on the possible sexual orientation of perfumers. I find this board delightfully diverse and we are all welcome here. Art is art and transcends all minor differences between people, so let's just appreciate each other and keep discussing perfume!

uh lol lets be serious here!
    This "gem" speaks volumes.

If you have trouble with #8, maybe #10 is more to your liking: Stop when you are told. http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/art...ame=forumrules

uh! what? excuse me? so there 's a double standart now? they have "opinions" and I guess I 'm the one whos rude though! LOL give me a break, thats called double standart, how lame is this??

I have opinions too and I speak out against nonsense bashing and ignorance always provinding interesting information, this Lutens bashing is ridiculous and unjustified specially coming from a guy who lives in Alabama and saw two pix online, give me a break!
    There are no double standards, and this is neither the first time nor the first thread (nor the first username on which you are posting, btw) in which you are showing your "best behaviour" and choosing the route of personal attacks. Everybody has opinions, but there are differences in how they express them. Yours is obnoxious.

Your posts have been reported by other members and you have been warned by two different moderators now.

If you don't like it here, there are other fragrance forums out there.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    And please, no more "comments" on the possible sexual orientation of perfumers. I find this board delightfully diverse and we are all welcome here. Art is art and transcends all minor differences between people, so let's just appreciate each other and keep discussing perfume!
    Oh, I think that diversity is being strongly expressed!. Supermarky was just indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. It made me chuckle.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Oh, I think that diversity is being strongly expressed!. Supermarky was just indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. It made me chuckle.
    I find a chuckle too in Supermarky's post, but because his gaydar is ringing strongly because he too has purple ceilings with gold stars at his place.

But seriously, I have to agree with Elf. This is a fragrance forum and the tuning of Supermarky's gaydar, observations of who's sexual orientation must be what, and so on, aren't germane. If they continue I'll chop them out since they are off topic.

Thanks,
    --Chris

Thank you very much, Tigruska. I could not have said it better.
    --Chris

Wink Re: $$ Serge Lutens raking in money $$

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    This "gem" speaks volumes.

If you have trouble with #8, maybe #10 is more to your liking: Stop when you are told. http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/art...ame=forumrules

There are no double standards, and this is neither the first time nor the first thread (nor the first username on which you are posting, btw) in which you are showing your "best behaviour" and choosing the route of personal attacks. Everybody has opinions, but there are differences in how they express them. Yours is obnoxious.

Your posts have been reported by other members and you have been warned by two different moderators now.

If you don't like it here, there are other fragrance forums out there.

well in case you don 't know I have had this morning support messages by a few members here too who also think theres is a double standart and that the Lutens bashing by specially someone here was direspectful and worthless! it has nothing to do with discussing different opinions but it was pure nonsense and bashing.

have a good day double standarthka!
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 30th January 2007 at 06:24 PM.

well in case you don 't know I have had this morning support messages by some members here too who also think theres is a double standart and that the Lutens bashing by someone here was direspectful!

have a good day double standartshak!
    Yawn.

House bashing is unfortunately an everyday issue on the forum, but you take it on the personal attack level. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Yawn.

House bashing is unfortunately an everyday issue on the forum, but you take it on the personal attack level. That's the difference.

maybe I did but I spent time to start the first post of this thread here, I expect a certain standart, you re a moderator and you should not allow worthless bashing!

He wears Kouros, to me it 's not even something I d want for my bathroom but so be it and you ll never hear me bash someone 's poor choice over and over!
    thats the difference! thx for understanding and noticing

I love Lutens fragrances, and yet, I could just smack somebody for those bell jars. They are lovely for storage, but I think...and I may call him at home later with this idea....that he could include a stylish little 3ml atomizer tucked in the box. The whole house could buy them from Buffalo Gal and be better off, or what the heck? He could make his purple with a little gold star for a cap. They could be sold separately, whatever.

I can't do without Un Lys, though, and I'd buy it if it came in a little Tupperware bowl.

maybe I did but I spent time to start the first post of this thread here, I expect a certain standart, you re a moderator and you should not allow worthless bashing!
    Well: whenever I have dared to express my thoughts about bashing, I have been accused of censorship against free speech.

He wears Kouros, to me it 's not even something I d want for my bathroom but so be it and you ll never hear me bash someone 's poor choice over and over!
    thats the difference! thx for understanding and noticing
    Here we go again...

How about running around the block a couple of times and having a nice cup of chamomile tea?

Let's call it a day. I'll lock this thread now.