Code of Conduct

Default Longing for Spring

Driving to work today, the thermometer in my car showed an outside temperature hovering below 20 degrees. As such, it got me longing for spring and made me curious which scents other Bnoters have discovered recently during the cold months (whether through outright purchase, gifts, or swaps) that you look forward to using in warmer weather. I have a few that I've gotten since last November, when it started turning cold, and I can't wait to give them a spin this spring.

1. Barney's Route du Thé (if Rose Poivree is a "stinky rose," and Bigarade Concentree is a "stinky orange," I think this one must be "stinky tea." Nevertheless, I quite like it!)
    2. Creed Green Valley (a Creedirect purchase; it definitely isn't doing it for me in the cold, but I think it will work much better later this year).
    3. Different Company Sol de Vetiver (I don't like it as much as Malle VE, but it's still a good, non-sweet Vetiver fragrance).
    4. Amouage Silver Cologne (cool, classy... another one that surprised me and I can't wait to try it in mid-summer)
    5. Anthousa Fig&Vetiver (given all the press that Premier Figuier gets around here, I can't believe more people don't love this one. I was convinced fig wasn't for me until giving this one a try).
    6. Philosophy Amen (got this for $5 from a fellow Bnoter and have really been enjoying it. But, I think it will be even better in the spring).
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 30th January 2007 at 06:42 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: Longing for Spring

Art of Shaving - Lemon Essential Oil
    Creed Erolfa
    Riverside Drive...

and of course with warmer weather, my Terre d'Hermes and Creed OV will come out once again. Just beautiful frags.

Oops..forgot that I bought Live Jazz in November, so looking forward to enjoying this one also.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 30th January 2007 at 06:51 PM.

My new L'Artisan, Voleur de Roses will be an amazing springtime scent, and I really cannot wait, that's why I'm freezing myself until such time as the temperature remains above 45 degrees for a week. See you in Spring!
    - Rich

I'm longing for spring too, and I'm craving lighter fragrances lately. Think I'm fed up now with the sweet, heavy winter fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    My new L'Artisan, Voleur de Roses will be an amazing springtime scent, and I really cannot wait, that's why I'm freezing myself until such time as the temperature remains above 45 degrees for a week. See you in Spring!
    - Rich
    Good choice, Rich. You can never go wrong with VdR. It was the first l'artisan I tried and probably still my favorite. Have you tried Rose Poivree? It's another one that is a VERY different take on the rose note.

Blog Entries

I haven't really "discovered" any new scents that I'm saving for spring. Also, I wear my warm weather scents in the winter, as well. However, they just don't have the same FEEL as when I wear them out in the warm sun. L'eau D'Issey is a fairly recent purchase, & I'm looking forward to wearing this one in the warmer months.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Me too. I don't really like "winter" frags. I miss my citrus. I do wear them in the winter sometimes but its not the same......
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I am waiting for spring too, and will be bringing out these babies for a lot of spray time:

1) Mugler Cologne (thanks to MfFan for the great online deal!)
    2) Creed Royal Water and Original Vetiver - Royal Water has been a fab find. It will easily be my "eau de cologne" choice for spring/summer. Good longevity too!
    3) Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist (decant) - I believe it will reveal more of its latent qualities when the temperature rises. The intense cold seems to put its composition into a coma at times.
    4) Iceberg Twice - bought it at the dawn of winter last year, but the time will soon be right to experience this inexpensive but refreshing sweet mint scent.
    5) (tentative) Creative Universe Mare (Decant) - I have been wearing this one on and off for the past week or so, and its not working much for me. Its similar to Bulgari Aqua in that it has a salty seaweed note (less intense than the posidonia which overwhelms Aqua's composition) which smells like soiled diapers to me. While I much prefer Erolfa, I will see how Mare fares in spring/summer.
    -

I prefer the fragrances I have for winter time. They are more diverse and unique to me. The spring and summer fragrances are not as special, not to mention I have only a small fraction for that season. I really wouldn't mind warmer weather though...

I've picked up Neroli Sauvage, which I'm sure I'll be wearing on the warmer Spring days. That is my only new scent for such a season...

Granted, on the surface of it, some perfumes are better in the cold than otherwise, but the number that are is quite small in my experience. With few exceptions, I believe I could wear most of my wardrobe at the height of summer and also in winter.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Granted, on the surface of it, some perfumes are better in the cold than otherwise, but the number that are is quite small in my experience. With few exceptions, I believe I could wear most of my wardrobe at the height of summer and also in winter.
    I'm with ya. I wear my frags year-round...but the off-season ones never seem to have the same feel as when I wear them during the "appropriate" time. Although I've mentioned that I'm looking forward to Spring, I must say that I'm still enjoying the cold so I can wear Gaultier2, Lolita Lempicka au masculin, Avon's Tomorrow, Bvlgari Black, etc. Man, I REALLY can't imagine wearing Gaultier2 in the summer, unless I was in frigid AC.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I'm with ya. I wear my frags year-round...but the off-season ones never seem to have the same feel as when I wear them during the "appropriate" time. Although I've mentioned that I'm looking forward to Spring, I must say that I'm still enjoying the cold so I can wear Gaultier2, Lolita Lempicka au masculin, Avon's Tomorrow, Bvlgari Black, etc. Man, I REALLY can't imagine wearing Gaultier2 in the summer, unless I was in frigid AC.
    I see what you mean. I'm a big fan of amber and leather scents and I really just couldn't imagine pulling out Knize Ten, Eau Noire, CN Scent Intense, or Cuir de Russie in the dead heat of summer. For that reason, I enjoy the cooler weather... but on days like today, I'd be more than happy to box up the leathers and ambers and pull out some nice crisp citrus.

I really understand why Voleur de Roses is mentioned twice in this thread. Most rose fragrances apear slighly melancholic to me and the weeks between winter and sommer we have these rainy days here in central europe that make me feel like stranded on a bay of time thinking of the summer to come. These are the days I love wearing VdR and No. 88 to underscore that very special "rainy springtime mood".

The ones I cant look forward to wear this spring are (besides the above mentioned):

Grey Flannel
    L Homme de coeur
    Crown Fougere
    Tuscany
    Last edited by costello; 30th January 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

The fragrance I long to test in warm weather is Kouros, which I have already bought.

Other choices would be Habit Rouge and Laguna Homme (both I don't own).

I know what you mean...I did a total 360 a couple of months back to my wardrobe. I basically started back from scratch. I upload a ton of heavy scents for the Fall/Winter, but now I need some Spring/Sumer scents.

Looking forward to buying and wearing:

YSL M7 Fresh
    Geir Ness EDP
    Helmant Lang Cuiron
    Creed MI
    Terre D'Hermes

and maybe Kyoto & VDR on those slight cooler/rainy spring days.

I'd say some of the Le Labos (just discovery sets, but that's still 15mL per fragrance...):
    Neroli
    Bergamot

and of course the rotation will come around for:
    D&G
    Roma Uomo
    Eau Sauvage

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I see what you mean. I'm a big fan of amber and leather scents and I really just couldn't imagine pulling out Knize Ten, Eau Noire, CN Scent Intense, or Cuir de Russie in the dead heat of summer.
    Exactly. That's why I like the winter better than the summer for wearing frags. Just about anything can work in the winter if worn in the right situation. I've taken D'Orange Verte and Creative Mare along on ski weekends and they worked out great. But I just can't imagine wearing "heavy" frags in the summer at any time. I usually put away the likes of M7, Bel Ami, Ambre Sultan, etc. for the summer.

I can't wait for spring to come back either, if anything for the pleasure of further getting acquainted with Fleurs de Citronnier by Serge Lutens. Subtlety and joy in one little, surprisingly underrated splendour of a fragrance.

My SOTD is M7 Fresh and even though it's in the upper 30s, I'm very happy with it right now. This is supposedly a "summery" scent, but it's great in winter as well.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Blog Entries

Gres Quiproquo
    Crown Perfumery Town & Country (will wear this tomorrow)
    Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere
    Crown Perfumery Crown Imperial
    Caron 3rd Man
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT
    Hermes Hiris
    Chanel No.19 EDP
    Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum EDP
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Lagerfeld Classic
    Yardley Sandalwood
    TBS Japanese Musk (vintage)
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Jasper Conran Man (+ Nemat Vetiver)
    Lancome Miracle pour Homme
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Liz Claiborne Claiborne for Men
    Maxim's pour Homme
    Halston Z-14
    5* Fragrance Company Royal Secret For Men
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Chanel Egoiste

Last edited by moondeva; 30th January 2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva

Maxim's? Crown Perfumery? Claiborne For Men?

Have you been bargain shopping where I've been bargain shopping?
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I got a decant of Trumper Ajaccio Violets in November. On a test it smelt heavenly and lasted all of 15 minutes. I'm going right past spring and waiting for summer in the hope that it will last 30 minutes.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Moondeva

Maxim's? Crown Perfumery? Claiborne For Men?

Have you been bargain shopping where I've been bargain shopping?
    Among other places...

:: presents michaeld39 with the secret directcosmetics handshake::

"The purple cow flies at dawn...."
    :brolly:
    Last edited by moondeva; 30th January 2007 at 11:10 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Well, guys, i'm still enjoying the winter weather here in Orlando, Florida. It's a frigid 52 degrees right now .
    That being said, i think the frags in my wardrobe that most define spring are Aramis Devin and Gigli's Sud Est.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I'm looking forward to adding my favorite, Terre d'Hermes, back to rotation. I'll also use the occasional Creed GIT. For the beach, I may go back to 2002 and use some leftover Marc Jacobs. If I still own Live Jazz, I'll wear it every now and then.

Regarding acquisitions, I'm leaning towards CdG Sequoia and a Bond No. 9 (Thanks for all the recs BTW). I'm also on the fence about buying Philosykos.

-Sloan

Given that the weather has warmed in some parts of the country (albeit temporarily), I thought I'd bump this thread and wonder if anybody took advantage of the short repreive to give a spring scent a run?

Personally, I wore Barney's Route du Thé today (it got up to about 62 this afternoon). Crisp, fresh, and stinky... just like I like 'em. Something like if MPG (my other favorite stinky house) decided to make a tea fragrance. I look forward to wearing this one again as soon as it's back up into the 60's again.

Anybody else give a new one a try?
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 23rd February 2007 at 02:18 AM.

It's been hitting the 60s in Atlanta and I'm taking full advantage to test some contenders for the spring/summer wardrobe. I wore At the Beach 1966 to the gym this eve. I prefer it to Fire Island because it has a slight oceanic accord that blends very well with the suntan lotion accord. With Fire Island, all I can smell is the suntan lotion accord. Both are outstanding scents but my tastes tend toward the Brosius creation.

Tomorrow, I'm wearing Mr. Hulot's Holiday. I've never been a fan of aquatic scents and this one took me by surprise. I can't detect the "old leather suitcases" but salty breeze, driftwood, and seaweed create a relaxing ocean breeze. Reminds me of a bench in Monterey where I used to sit at the end of the day. I would just sit and watch the twilight fade over the harbor. The smell of rocks, cypress, seawater...

I've started using Guerlain Vetiver... mmmmmmm, delicious!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I love the winter, and the scents, and just recently a girl told me she might get sick of the cold weather in february or so, I thought her a fool.

Here we are in february and I was uncharacteristically relieved when it was around 50F here on Wednesday, and similar on Tuesday.

The Silver Cologne Familiy, Ciel, Riverside Drive and Bleecker Street, Terre D'Hermes, Duel, Rive Gauche and New Tabarome will all come to play, in short time...

It will be nice.