Code of Conduct

Default Tnr by Paco Rabanne (1988)

I was in my favourite fragrance haunt yesterday and, having spent a lot of money, the proprietoress gave me an almost depleted tester of Tnr. The spray mechanism is broken, so you have to spray and then catch the juice as it dribbles down the side of the bottle. You then rub the bottle over your chest to make sure youve got it all its quite a production.

But to get to the main point, I am knocked over by the quality of this juice. It is meant to conjure up the air of the North African desert, and this it does with aplomb. It is a dry woody fragrance with a hint of greenery and flowers: just magnificent, and perfect for the Australian summer. It also seems to be quite long lasting and strong (unlike the recent bottle of XS that I bought that has no projection or longevity at all (sorry Moondeva!) what a huge disappointment that was!). Tnr is in a different league from modern scents.

But my question concerns reformulation: the bottle I have has a cheap plastic red and black top and the juice is a rich yellow. The photo in the directory shows a more recent bottle and the juice looks pale, almost colourless. Does anyone know if this is reformulated: is it worth hunting down the old tacky bottle to get the good stuff? And finally: does anyone have a bottle they want to trade away?
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Default Re: Tnr by Paco Rabanne (1988)

I can't comment on the bottle, but I appreciate your starting a thread about this wonderful, overlooked fragrance.

Rose and leather...who knew?

Yes, I aquired two bottles not too long ago since I know it's getting harder to find. Got them both for like $30 total! They have the black and red spray tops.

You never would've figured this wasn't released as a niche fragrance. Way ahead of it's time.

I doubt that it was re-formulated because it was available for such a short period of time. It didn't sell well and then became virtually impossible to find. It is a great scent, however, and one of the few floral fragrances that I know that is dry. I bought a bottle when it came out and usually got a lot of compliments when wearing it. Why didn't it sell? Too audacious? It is certainly not a copy-cat and is unlike any other fragrance I know. The bottle that I bought had a red and black plastic cap.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I recently found a 50 ml. splash bottle with a twist-off red-and-black top. I got an atomizer so as to be able to spray it, because the splash bottle was all they had, and I had been wanting this one for a long time. Definitely worth the wait...
    Last edited by JaimeB; 31st January 2007 at 09:11 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    Seneca

How much do you want it? Take a look at this man's site, it would appear he has nearly the whole line of Tenere, amongst many rare and wonderful things. Priced accordingly.

http://www.theperfumecollector.com
    Last edited by noirwest; 31st January 2007 at 08:36 AM.

Wowee zowee! Seeing this name has brought a whole host of memories flooding back!

I think I must've been about 14 when someone brought me back a 50ml bottle of this (probably my Mum or cousin; they're responsible for my frag fondness). I remember thinking at the time that it was way too 'grown-up' a scent for me to be wearing, seeing as I wore only those that were strictly for teenagers, like Armani Eau pour Homme and Drakkar Noir (!! !!).

As I recall there was a really sharp fresh but sour start to the scent, something which I always think of being the 'house note' when I see Paco Rabanne written anywhere (and not ever having tried any other PRs (except Black XS recently - which was more like Ribena)), but then it used to dry down to a much softer affair - something quite ethereal if memory serves correctly.

Note to self - find some Tenere pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest
    How much do you want it? Take a look at this man's site, it would appear he has nearly the whole line of Tenere, amongst many rare and wonderful things. Priced accordingly.

http://www.theperfumecollector.com
    Thanks noirwest! You've shown me the way to nirvana and bankruptcy! (I always knew they lived at the same address.)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    You never would've figured this wasn't released as a niche fragrance. Way ahead of it's time.
    You took the words right out of my mouth (as Meatloaf sang). If this was called Serge Lutens Air du Desert Afrique Nord it would get the love that it richly deserves. It's a phenomenal fragrance. I guess it was just too far ahead of the niche curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear
    Wowee zowee! Seeing this name has brought a whole host of memories flooding back!

I think I must've been about 14 when someone brought me back a 50ml bottle of this (probably my Mum or cousin; they're responsible for my frag fondness). I remember thinking at the time that it was way too 'grown-up' a scent for me to be wearing, seeing as I wore only those that were strictly for teenagers, like Armani Eau pour Homme and Drakkar Noir (!! !!).

As I recall there was a really sharp fresh but sour start to the scent, something which I always think of being the 'house note' when I see Paco Rabanne written anywhere (and not ever having tried any other PRs (except Black XS recently - which was more like Ribena)), but then it used to dry down to a much softer affair - something quite ethereal if memory serves correctly.

Note to self - find some Tenere pronto!

Well said Biffo `ethereal' is right.

I managed to get a proper bottle of this yesterday (the soap as well!) and now the roses are coming through more clearly. The drydown is very nice indeed! (Does anyone else get something that reminds them of Kouros, at the beginning?)

I discovered that Tnr was created by one of my favourite "noses": Pierre Wargnye. He did Drakkar Noir, but also Baldassarini, Boss Number One, Antidote and L'Homme (YSL). I think his creations are really special, and all have a charcteristic strength and beauty. I sought out Very Irresistable by Givenchy because it was one of his (Contradiction also, but that is a disaster, and it wasn't his alone.)

One thing though: he has often been let down by poor bottle design, and the red and black plastic cap has to be one of the worst. With better packaging this one could have gone well I think. Great pity, but great juice!
    Last edited by Eluard; 3rd February 2007 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost