Code of Conduct

Default What would your protagonist wear?

Pretend you are writing a book (Maybe you already are). The protagonist of your book is not as obsessed with cologne as you are. The protagonist can be either sex, but they have picked one scent that perfectly defines them. It doesn't have to be your favorite scent, but it has to fit your character like a glove. My character is a politician/debonair (Think JFK with dark hair, and a better physique) who has to prove himself in a country he isn't from, and his mission is to work his way to the top to remove the crime and greed from a corrupt government (Think Eastern Europe). On the way, he finds just how corrupt government is on all levels, and resolves to eliminate even the pettier forms of greed. His scent? Voleur de Roses. It is like him, completely and utterly unadulterated and honest. It is a scent which is defined by those who wear it, and can only be used effectively by those with honest manner and actions. He attends political showings often, and as such must always maintain the utmost in appearance. His wardrobe contains the finest clothing found anywhere on the planet, and he is known for his impeccable appearance. He is friendly, laid back, and most of all, of pleasurable humor. He enjoys life as it is, but wishes better circumstances on those less fortunate than him, so he always strives to better himself and the community for the good of others. He is always polite, and more than often courteous to those opposed to his ideas. He was the runner up model for the phrase "Turn the other cheek", and never acts in anger or hate. Simply put, he is the person I want to become. My closest friends have told me in seriousness that someday I'll be president of the US, but I frown and in all actuality laugh at that idea. Such dreams only get in the way of the achievements I seek to accomplish, and president of the US is only one of many powerful positions; one that is harder to attain than most. The country I wish to bring calm to is not the US, but Israel. I feel that if I can aspire to give the Israelites hope for a more peaceful region, then I can accomplish that which is necessary. I know that I am not from Israel, and I don't fully understand the conflict they have with the Palestinians, but if I can set my goals towards something bigger than myself, then I can accomplish that which I am destined to do. No, I don't think I'll be the president of Israel, or even a politician from that country, but this is part of the idyllic image of a future that I have constructed. I have shared with you the innermost yearnings of my heart and being. Simply believing in something is the first step to get other wheels in motion. So, what's your protagonist's signature scent? (Remember, a protagonist does not have to be good, simply the main character of the story.)
    - Rich

EDIT - The fragrance doesn't have to be mainstream, think idyllically. Your character is a standout woman/man, and their fragrance says that about them.
    Last edited by _R$_; 31st January 2007 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: What would your protagonist wear?

Sounds like a fun scent to think about and pick. I'll think about it tomorrow when I'm not trunk.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Sounds like a fun scent to think about and pick. I'll think about it tomorrow when I'm not trunk.
    --Chris
    trunk?

My protagonist wears Rive Gauche. Cuase he's a bad mofo, that all the ladies wanna hang with. No wait that sounded stupid...

My protagonist wears Rive Gauche. Cause he's the coolest cat on the block and all the trick turners wanna.... No, thats no good either..

My protagonist wears Rive Gauche. Cause he knows he can walk into a room, go to the sexiest lady, and take her home with him. All the men wonder who he is, and marvel at his suave-ness. Heads turn when he shows up. He's the life of the party. No one will FCUK with him, and he knows it...
    Last edited by Thrax; 31st January 2007 at 06:52 AM.

Good question! Because the protagonist is not obsessed with fragrances I guess she would wear something from a big and well-known house. The first scent that came to my mind was Carven's classic: Ma Griffe, an odd mixture of green notes and spices, instantly recognizable and unusual.

The heroine would have adopted it from someone in her childhood, not her mother but possibly a relative, family friend or teacher she had liked very much and who has been a bit of a role model for her. She would be a quirky young lady, possibly a heavy smoker, someone who loves vintage clothes (she both inherits and buys them), and despite her eccentrities has a very logical mind, she has been a star pupil at maths in school!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

How cute!!!

My protagonist would wear Bvlgari Black (omg shocker there, eh??). She'd have a job that she don't really like doing, but pays well. She'd give a lot of the income to various charities around my midsized city. Anonomously, of course. Her past would be a mystery, but several rumors about her would have sprouted and spread.

"I heard she just got out of prison...."

"I heard her entire family died in a fire, and she's been on her own since she was 11....."

"I heard she has like, 5 Ph.D's but works at a gas station on Troost....."

"I heard that if you look at her closely, you'll see she has eyes like a cat....."

None of that would be true, of course. And, most of these rumors would have been started by her girlfriend who is a social butterfly, but always comes home to my protagonist. The girlfriend takes delight in the fact that everyone in the city is talking about my protagonist, but she's the one my protagonist holds at night.

Hmm...I kinda wanna write a book now!!!
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 31st January 2007 at 07:14 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wink Re: What would your protagonist wear?

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    --Chris

Thinking about it when you are not trunk is the valise you can do...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    How cute!!!

My protagonist would wear Bvlgari Black (omg shocker there, eh??). I'd have a job that I don't really like doing, but pays well. I'd give a lot of the income to various charities around my midsized city. Anonomously, of course. My past would be a mystery, but several rumors about me would have sprouted and spread.

"I heard she just got out of prison...."

"I heard her entire family died in a fire, and she's been on her own since she was 11....."

"I heard she has like, 5 Ph.D's but works at a gas station on Troost....."

"I heard that if you look at her closely, you'll see she has eyes like a cat....."

None of that would be true, of course. And, most of these rumors would have been started by my girlfriend who is a social butterfly, but always comes home to me. She takes delight in the fact that everyone in the city is talking about me, but she's the one I hold at night.

Hmm...I kinda wanna write a book now!!!
    Hmm... Just a random guess, but would your protagonist live in OP?
    - Rich

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    Hmm... Just a random guess, but would your protagonist live in OP?
    - Rich
    Nah...my protagonist would most likely live in downtown KCMO. She'd be too mysterious for the 'burbs.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Wink Re: What would your protagonist wear?

Smndrummer, your guy sounds unreal. :-)

The protagonist of my novel would be a ordinary, average Joe with a twist, living out the proverbial life of quiet desperation as he attempts to wade through the cesspit that his life has become. Everyone hates him, but no one really understands why they do; he just seems to engender an instant dislike even by those supposedly close to him, like his mother. Try as he might, and he has, our man cannot quite understand why this is so.

As a mid-level manager in a non-descript company in America's Midwest, he makes a good living, enough to indulge in life's little pleasures: a good car, a nice town house, and the requisite electronic gadgetry. A respectable wardrobe, an illicit Cuban cigar enjoyed once in a while, a good bottle of semi-expensive single malt scotch, or vintage Port, and one or two good bottles of solid, manly colognes rounded out the list.

He wasn’t particularly ugly or handsome either. He has always been in good health, tending towards a sporty build and with enough money in his bank accounts, by any respects, our man should be a most desirable catch for average girl. Yet he is alone.

Could it be his speech? He knew he had a slight lisp show up from time to time, something that had bothered him for the first time when as a teenager, his clumsy sexual impulses led him to attempt chatting up Sue Liston, a pretty neighbor and schoolmate. His tongue seemed to lose the ability to form certain sounds, instead producing strange, sibilant variations and Sue ended up first tittering then outright laughing at him. He had worked very hard to get over that impediment and it seemed to have worked. His co-workers, much as they hated him, all admitted--albeit grudgingly --that he was an excellent public speaker.

Or maybe it was his dress habits? Well, there really was no difference between the way he dressed-- in a solidly conservative fashion-- and that of all the other managers: a classic navy blue suit with a white shirt and a suitable tie and good, expensive shoes. Even the 20-something receptionist found herself complimenting him on this or that particular tie, something she couldn't believe she did! So much so, in fact, that such a compliment was almost always followed by a visit to the bathroom where she inevitably ended bent over the toilet bowl. She was concerned, but not enough it seemed. Her frequent retching seemed to help her keep her figure, so the compliments continued unabated, however distasteful the taste of vomit afterwards.

Or, and this was fantastic if true, could it be his choice of perfume? Now, he was a steadfast, habit-driven man. He had always instinctively known that one could not go wrong with the classics. A men’s magazine at his gym had suggested Knize Ten and that’s what he wore almost exclusively. Getting ready in the mornings, he applied liberal sprays of the fragrance on his wrists, then on the inner crook of the elbows followed by sprays to either side of the neck, on the backs of his knees and finally a few small spritzes on the shirt afterwards.

"Could it really be all this time, that it was Knize Ten? " He quickly dismissed that thought from his mind a few mornings ago, "no, it couldn’t be, it must be something wrong with them!" as he started his morning spraying ritual. He was never as sure of anything as he was of Knize Ten.

"Still," he thought, "perhaps I'd better try that new Bulgari cologne I bought recently" 'Black' he recalled.

He paused, looking at himself in the mirror in mid-spray, "just to be sure."
    Last edited by ifconfig; 31st January 2007 at 07:51 PM.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Smndrummer, your guy sounds unreal. :-)

The protagonist of my novel would be a ordinary, average Joe with a twist, living out the proverbial life of quiet desperation as he attempts to wade through the cesspit that his life has become. Everyone hates him, but no one really understands why they do; he just seems to engender an instant dislike even by those supposedly close to him, like his mother. Try as he might, and he has, our man cannot quite understand why this is so.

As a mid-level manager in a non-descript company in America's Midwest, he makes a good living, enough to indulge in life's little pleasures: a good car, a nice town house, and the requisite electronic gadgetry. A respectable wardrobe, an illicit Cuban cigar enjoyed once in a while, a good bottle of semi-expensive single malt scotch, or vintage Port, and one or two good bottles of solid, manly colognes rounded out the list.

He wasn’t particularly ugly or handsome either. He has always been in good health, tending towards a sporty build and with enough money in his bank accounts, by any respects, our man should be a most desirable catch for average girl. Yet he is alone.

Could it be his speech? He knew he had a slight lisp show up from time to time, something that had bothered him for the first time when as a teenager, his clumsy sexual impulses led him to attempt chatting up Sue Liston, a pretty neighbor and schoolmate. His tongue seemed to lose the ability to form certain sounds, instead producing strange, sibilant variations and Sue ended up first tittering then outright laughing at him. He had worked very hard to get over that impediment and it seemed to have worked. His co-workers, much as they hated him, all admitted--albeit grudgingly --that he was an excellent public speaker.

Or maybe it was his dress habits? Well, there really was no difference between the way he dressed-- in a solidly conservative way and the way most of the other managers dressed: a classic navy blue suit with a white shirt and a suitable tie and good, somewhat expensive shoes. Why, even the 20-something receptionist found herself complimenting him on this or that particular tie, something she couldn't believe she did! So much so, in fact, that such a compliment was almost always followed by a visit to the bathroom where she inevitably ended bent over the toilet bowl. She was concerned, but not enough it seemed. Her frequent retching seemed to help her keep her figure, so the compliments continued unabated, however distasteful the taste of vomit afterwards.

Or, and this was fantastic if true, could it be his choice of perfume? Now, he was a steadfast, habit-driven man. He had always instinctively known that one could not go wrong with the classics. A men’s magazine at his gym had suggested Knize Ten and that’s what he wore almost exclusively. Getting ready in the mornings, he applied liberal sprays of the fragrance on his wrists, then on the inner crook of the elbows followed by sprays to either side of the neck, on the backs of his knees and finally a few small spritzes on the shirt afterwards.

"Could it really be all this time, that it was Knize Ten? " He quickly dismissed it from his mind a few mornings ago, "no, it couldn’t be, it must be something wrong with them!" as he started his morning spraying ritual. He was never as sure of anything as he was of Knize Ten.

"Still," he thought, "perhaps he'd better try that new Bulgari cologne he had bought recently, on a whim." 'Black' he recalled.

He paused, looking at himself in the mirror in mid-spray, "just to be sure."
    Sounds like an interesting read, but I don't think that it was the Knize Ten. I think it's the application process (10-15 sprays? Yikes!) But, I guess that's the point of the story, isn't it? I'm sidekick to Captain Obvious today. Good story.
    - Rich