Code of Conduct

Default Lesser known Malles

I received some samples from FM the other day and I immedeately began testing the more talked about creations like Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices.

Noir Epices has a very strong (IMO much too strong) soapy note which I have a hard time dealing with. Otherwise it's kind of interesting. Musc Ravageur I may have OD'd on, because it was way too much (I used two sprays). I'll have to test it again, but right now I don't feel like it.

However, based on the questionnaire the sales lady foremost recommended L'Eau d'Hiver and at present I like it a lot better than both NE and MR. It's "there", but not intruding. It's long lasting and very interesting. Many reviews state that it's on the feminine side of unisex, but I'm not sure I agree. I don't find it to be neither feminine nor masculin, thus perfectly unisex IMHO.

Anyone else have any good feelings for this frag or any other "less talked about" Malle? Let's give them the attention they deserve.

BTW, how much of NE and MR do you usually apply? As I said I found them both to be too strong for their own good.

Oh, yeah, I got a scented card of Carnal Flower as well. It's seems like a really cool fragrance, but DAMN it's expensive...

Default Re: Lesser known Malles

Quote Originally Posted by RichardK

However, based on the questionnaire the sales lady foremost recommended L'Eau d'Hiver and at present I like it a lot better than both NE and MR. It's "there", but not intruding. It's long lasting and very interesting. Many reviews state that it's on the feminine side of unisex, but I'm not sure I agree. I don't find it to be neither feminine nor masculin, thus perfectly unisex IMHO.
    I agree 100%. I think its very much a unisex fragrance.

I like L'Eau D'Hiver a lot, delicate, transparent, a bit flowery but not girly, with a deliciuos note of angelica honey. But on me lasts 3-4 hours and the sillage it's minimal, what a shame. Another Malle masterpiece, but too short lived...

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara
    I like L'Eau D'Hiver a lot, delicate, transparent, a bit flowery but not girly, with a deliciuos note of angelica honey. But on me lasts 3-4 hours and the sillage it's minimal, what a shame. Another Malle masterpiece, but too short lived...
    I guess I'm lucky then. I can still smell it right now, about 10 hours after application. It's faint, but there. The sillage isn't the strongest, but I found it made it's presence clear, although subtly.

I love Musc Ravageur and Le Parfum de Therese, I consider these two fragrances the masterpieces of the editions de Parfum by Frederic Malle, Noir Epices is also a great perfume "a black rose on a grave" but all the other ones didn 't thrill me at all.

Carnal Flower a great perfume but not me, too green and TOO strong also has an odd note I get in La Chasse aux Papillons by L 'Artisan Parfumeur that 's not working at all, not sensual enough, I didn 't see how carnal it was.

Iris Poudre, 100% synthetic achievement according to Frederic Malle, one of the best iris scents...except that it doesn t measure up to the masterpiece Iris Silver Mist

Lys Mediterranee, very dissapointing, a pretty scent that smells generic

En Passant, boring harsh straight-up lilac one note scent! again it doesnt measure up to Un Lys by Serge Lutens

Cool review! I've only tried Vetiver Extraordinaire and Brigarade Concentree, but of the two, I love VE because it's the vetiver that got vetiver for me.
    - Rich

L'Eau en Hiver is a strange and ethereal wraith. I was unconvinced on first wearing, but in a second test I really felt the airiness and grace of this. It is entirely unlike any of my other (red-blooded) favourites. The lily and frankincense take this fragrance into that spectral very-early-twilight zone. It is light but just tenacious enough to provide wafts of scent 4-5 hours in.

I'm with you on Musc Ravageur - not a favourite.

Carnal Flower is one of the few scents that I would describe as 'astonishing' - and I mean that in a good way.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I don't like Musc Ravageur. IMHO, it smells like an Indian spice shop. Seriously. In addition to that, I also sampled the Vetiver (absolutely fabulous) and the Angelique scent (delicate, but nice). I received Brigarade Concentree on a piece of paper, but it does have a very sharp (in a good way) bite to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bois et Musc

En Passant, boring harsh straight-up lilac one note scent! again it doesnt measure up to Un Lys by Serge Lutens
    Goodness! My eyebrows go up to hear En Passant called straight-up lilac one note! LOL!!! You should get a free sample from Highland Lilac when they come available this summer--now THERE'S single note lilac! I love Un Lys better myself, but feel a comparison between the two is apples to oranges....perhaps you just don't care for lilac? My primary complaint about En Passant is a dry soapy feel in the top notes...it fades pretty quickly into dough, but always disturbs me a bit....I figure along with the bakery and lilac bush, she must have been passing a laundrymat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Goodness! My eyebrows go up to hear En Passant called straight-up lilac one note! LOL!!! You should get a free sample from Highland Lilac when they come available this summer--now THERE'S single note lilac! I love Un Lys better myself, but feel a comparison between the two is apples to oranges....perhaps you just don't care for lilac? My primary complaint about En Passant is a dry soapy feel in the top notes...it fades pretty quickly into dough, but always disturbs me a bit....I figure along with the bakery and lilac bush, she must have been passing a laundrymat.
    on me really it was the same green clean soapy note all the way through whereas Un Lys starts green without the soapiness, a natural and purity impression that 's so addictive and I don 't get in En Passant. Beautiful too is the subtle vanilla and musk drydown turning Un Lys 'virginal opening to a sexier lilac in the drydown. En Passant failed to explore a wider olfactory spectrum.

Overall Malle editions is a rather small line to choose from and the concept of a different nose for each fragrance created inconsistencies.

On your number of sprays used. I usually do 2 - 3 sprays. A lot may depend on where you spray. Wrist, back of neck, hair, or maybe a spray on your fingertip and brushing that on your neck, etc... Certain places on a person will allow them to pick up the scent better and may seem overpowering to the user, but not others.

I like Noir Epices very much and can have it last the better part of a day. Musc Ravageur is no more than 2 sprays or it becomes overwhelming for me. Maybe because I do not care for it that much. A friend uses Lys Mediterranee and I like it on her. The lily scent is very nice.

Personal tastes, likes and dislikes aside, but since when has SL Un Lys been a lilac scent?

Wouldn't it be called Un Lilas in that case?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Une Rose is a lesser known Frederic Malle scent in this forum but it will definitely be my next Malle purchase. This scent is one of the best rose fragrances I've smelled. Think roses and truffles--yummmy!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS