Code of Conduct

Thread: Guava scent?

Basenotes Institution

Default Guava scent?

This weekend I ate a Thailand guava for the 1st time in a long time - I love eating fresh guava (gauva flavored products are usually WAY too sweet) and I swear the guava peel in the garbage scented my entire kitchen for hours even after I threw the trash out. I fell in love with the scent.

It got me thinking, I don't think I've come across a scent with a strong guava note at the top...Does anyone know of one? If so, tell me about it!

Thanks!

p.s. - I just became a new Supporting Member today! Yay Basenotes!!

Default Re: Guava scent?

Demeter has a Guava scent. The only men's fragrance that has a guava note that I can think of is Anvers by Ulrich Lang which is a nice fragrance.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

you may get a recommendation for anvers by ulrich lang but the gauva is immersed in cigarette ash so. .. don't get your hopes up!

It's been so long since I ate a guava . I grew up in Miami, Florida and guavas were a childhood treat along with mangos, citrus, mulberrys, Florida Cherrys, etc.

D'k of any scents with a guava note though.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Interesting, I had my first fresh guava just last night! I was mildly dissapointed because I wanted it to be like Ocean Spray Mauna La'i that I remembered drinking in massive quantities as a child... pink and sweet.

Well, my guava was neither pink nor incredibly sweet, but it was pretty dang good! And yes, it does smell incredible, and I think would add an interesting top note to fragrances!

Oh, that's what that was in Ulrich Lang... Guava. I thought it was starfruit! In that case, I think that... was it Romance Silver (?) that had the same note. It doesn't last very long though, then it's all woody and spicy. YUCK! Reminds me of one of my favorites (Genvy) YUMMY! Woods have cooties though. YUCK!
    - Rich
    PS - I don't rememver Anvers having a cigarette in it, but everyone has different tastes.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    you may get a recommendation for anvers by ulrich lang but the gauva is immersed in cigarette ash so. .. don't get your hopes up!
    Thanks everyone - I never heard of "Anvers"...and actually I might like the cigarette ash note (I am particularly fond of 'Velvet Rope' by Apothia which has vanilla & smoke).

However I can't imagine liking Romance Silver (R. Lauren scents usually disappoint me...)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Thanks everyone - I never heard of "Anvers"...and actually I might like the cigarette ash note (I am particularly fond of 'Velvet Rope' by Apothia which has vanilla & smoke).

However I can't imagine liking Romance Silver (R. Lauren scents usually disappoint me...)

Mike
    I never smelled the ash, but everyone has different noses. Maybe I'll test it again today. Luckyscent.com has full bottles, and I'm sure that a basenoter can decant some for you.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Carlos Santana also has Guava...I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    Oh yeah, I just smelled that one! It was either similar to Rochas Man or Hanae Mori, couldn't decide which one.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I 2nd this; Anvers gave me a monster headache.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22

Carlos Santana for Men or for Women? Have not smelled either...

chocolate and guava sounds interesting, although I don't like chocolate inmy scents but still . .. cause chocolate and orange kinda almost works for me as a perfume concept

Basenotes Institution

chocolate and guava sounds interesting, although I don't like chocolate inmy scents but still . .. cause chocolate and orange kinda almost works for me as a perfume concept
    If you are entertaining a chocolate & orange scent RUN DONT WALK to try Elixir des Merveilles, I swear the opening smells just like chocolate covered candied orange peel & then dries down to that Eau de Merveilles 'salty ocean water on skin' smell...one of my top 5 scents that I own.

Basenotes Institution

I'm answering my own post here.

Today, I went to Whole Foods Market for lunch and they had some testers of Pacifica fragrances out to smell and the Hawaiian Ruby Guava is VERY guava prominent. It's not too sweet but it is extremely fruity and while the juicy guava top notes fade quickly into a more creamy-coconut-honeyed-musk smell for the first 10-15 minutes it's all about the guava.

A guy could pull this off (let's face it, a whole bunch of new designer masculine scents are extremely fruity!) and in the summer time heat it sort of has a fun, beachy vibe to it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm answering my own post here.

Today, I went to Whole Foods Market for lunch and they had some testers of Pacifica fragrances out to smell and the Hawaiian Ruby Guava is VERY guava prominent. It's not too sweet but it is extremely fruity and while the juicy guava top notes fade quickly into a more creamy-coconut-honeyed-musk smell for the first 10-15 minutes it's all about the guava.

A guy could pull this off (let's face it, a whole bunch of new designer masculine scents are extremely fruity!) and in the summer time heat it sort of has a fun, beachy vibe to it.
    If I could chime in, how do you feel about fhubarb? Anvers 2 has a great rhubarb note.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Coney Island by Bond n 9 does have a very proeminent guava note.

bump

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts has a guava note in it, I'm not sure I get it though. I do however get a juicy guava note in IZOD, this which separates it from the other aquatics. I also recall smelling a guava note when I sampled Solo Loewe, which is a fragrance along the lines of Terre d'Hermes, but with a lot more going on in it.

Other than these, I don't recall many fragrances that utilize the note, unfortunately. However, if you go on Fragrantica, and filter it to that note, you will get lots of suggestions for women's fragrances. While some women's frags are wearable for men, I fear that when paired with guava, the result will be something overly floral.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Bond no.9 Coney Island without a doubt is what you're looking for.

Cassini for Men