Code of Conduct

Default Old Spice: do you dare me?

Tonight while I was shopping for food (something I ought to do more often), I just happened to spot a 125ml bottle of Old Spice (original) in the deoderant aisle for $7.99. I threw caution to the wind and tossed it in the basket on top of my salad and went on my merry way- and I forgot about it for maybe an hour. That was probably a good thing.

I applied a good handful out of the bottle (it is a splash) and rubbed it onto my arm. And I instantly regretted it. "Sweet Jesus!" I cried, "Holy mother of dixie cups, someone put Pampers in my Old Spice!"

I passed out on the kitchen floor- with a warm salad spread about the place- until the topnotes subsided. I woke up in the barber shop. No, wait, I woke up on the kitchen floor, but my arm was giving off a visible mist of Pamper-Barber fumes. "Holy textbook example!" I screamed to my downstairs neighbors, "I feel a case of the vapors coming on!"

I woke up again on the pitching deck of the Titanic. Nope, I was wrong again- I was still on the kitchen floor. However, I kept receiving whiffs of: brylcreem, leather, wicker, canvas, doom, lead-based paint, and ambergris. Ha ha! I was just kidding about the ambergris. There's no ambergris here. My ordeal was over. I looked over at the clock- only an hour had passed. Only one hour of my life was a confusing mishmash of diapers and oceanliners.

"Three-toed mother of carruther!" I screamed at the top of my singed lungs, "I should tell basenotes about this! I should warn them! I'm so tired! I wonder when I'll have a day off again!"

I dragged myself over to my Stylish Electronic Cologne Research and Exploration Tool (or iBook for short) in order to read Slashdot. Ah, but then I remembered. I have to stop drinking Ambre Sultan as an aperitif- apparently my memory is suffering.

So I sat down and wrote a fevered review of my latest acquisition for a mostly sleeping audience. "Tonight while I was shopping for food," I began...

So, Basenotes: Should I wear it to work tomorrow? Huh? Do you dare me to? I swear I will.

I'll check back in the morning

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Thrax

Default Re: Old Spice: do you dare me?

Here lies greyhueofdoubt.

Borneo 1834 - Died Febuary 1st, 2007

"He should have known better..."

I dare you!

Maybe this ad will make you feel better about wearing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t0z04Qz61Q
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

I saw an Old Spice commercial on Comedy Central during the "Daily Show". It starred Bruce Campell of the "Evil Dead" movies and "Army of Darkeness" fame. Probably shot by Sam Raimi. That's something I can find out. It was humerous. and very professionally done.
    Interestingly they showed no product, nor gave no any idea what the product they were advertising was or did. But the subtext was if you really want something... and they left you hanging.

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer, I DARE YOU! Long answer? I dare you and claim your collection upon death.
    - Rich

Post Thanks / Like

We're on the same wavelength. I'll take the Old Spice Challenge with you. I picked up some last Sunday with the same intention to see if any of my coworkers or friends would notice.

In small doses, it's not bad. Not that good either, but not bad. I put a little too much on Sunday night and it gave me a slight headache. I remember it being one of my favorites in my dad's collection, when I was five. In high school, I wore orig. scent Old Spice antiperspirant and it actually received compliments from girls. Go figure. I think it was because it's a comfort scent for some women, remembered from their childhood as something their fathers and grandfathers wore.

I won't be back in the office until next Wednesday so I can wear it any day after that. Anybody else in? It'll be like the Basenotes version of a Jackass segment, "I'm Sloan, and this is 'Old Spice Day'". Call Knoxville.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

how many stock car racing fans we got here? seems like they're gonna push this on those fans. They have an OS product for us sophisticates and then they have the Old Spice brew that comes in a bottle that looks like gasoline additive. yee ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    how many stock car racing fans we got here? seems like they're gonna push this on those fans. They have an OS product for us sophisticates and then they have the Old Spice brew that comes in a bottle that looks like gasoline additive. yee ha
    Gasoline additive? Awesome. Perhaps OS can boost octane and clean fuel injectors too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013
    In high school, I wore orig. scent Old Spice antiperspirant and it actually received compliments from girls. Go figure. I think it was because it's a comfort scent for some women, remembered from their childhood as something their fathers and grandfathers wore.
    That sounds right on the money. I've heard much the same thing with regards to Brut.

In support of my Basenote brother, I'll wear my OS too. I purchased OS cologne spray awhile back, it was on sale. Not a bad dry down, not bad at all, and stellar lonegevity to boot. I'm in bro. Who else?
    Peace ~ Markymark

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Count me in. I am heading out to the local Thrift Shops to find a suitable sample.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

I'm back from my Old Spicy day.

In short: I don't like Old Spice.

It was overpowering and obnoxious all morning, and by lunchtime it had dried down into the "I'm wearing Old Spice deoderant" smell. It stayed that way until around 5 p.m., at which point it started to smell really good.

I can't wait that long for a drydown

The longevity and strength of Old Spice cologne are outstanding- it was far more potent than any other 'cologne'-type scents that I've worn. It lasted all day, only tapering off after my shower.

I feel bad for my coworkers, but hey- maybe they liked it. You never can tell.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Ben,

If there is ever a Bnotes "meet-n-greet," please wear your new found treasure. While everybody else is trying to one-up each other with their Bonds, their LVs, or maybe even their Bespoke goodies... you can say, "Why, my dear, it's Old Spice!"
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm...What about layering, using Old Spice as the long lasting base? Could anything added over the top of Old Spice and tone it down but use its longevity to project the overlayer?
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt

I feel bad for my coworkers, but hey- maybe they liked it. You never can tell.

-ben
    Those poor, sick bastards...

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Ben,

If there is ever a Bnotes "meet-n-greet," please wear your new found treasure. While everybody else is trying to one-up each other with their Bonds, their LVs, or maybe even their Bespoke goodies... you can say, "Why, my dear, it's Old Spice!"

I was thinking about doing a 'trailer park boys perfume week' once I get all the right bottles- I was thinking of Brut, Old Spice, Drakkar Noir, Hai Karate, Jovan, etc.

Maybe in a few months I'll post a thread about it.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

I was thinking about doing a 'trailer park boys perfume week' once I get all the right bottles- I was thinking of Brut, Old Spice, Drakkar Noir, Hai Karate, Jovan, etc.

-ben
    Hey, don't cha mess with my Drakkar, boah...i might have to open up a can on you!!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

-ben
    Perhaps we could interest Monsieur in a bit of "Aspen" or "Canoe?"
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like

-ben
    How about English Leather?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just recently I found a travel toiletries case that I received as a gift after graduating from high school years ago. In this set was an aftershave of english leather that had turned. It was aweful.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Hey, don't cha mess with my Drakkar, boah...i might have to open up a can on you!!

Hey, hey- Notice that my wardrobe does proudly include the Drakkar Noir. I enjoy it.

What I meant was that the frags would have sort of an old-school, high-school, ladies-man, jean-jacket kind of vibe. Drakkar definitely has that going for it, despite its good quality and fantastic drydown.

The canoe and english leather were duly noted. Aspen is too foul to apply in my house, let alone on my skin.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe that OS was first made and marketed as a female scent it was only when it failed in that market that they relaunched it as a male scent.

So there should be a thread: Do real men wear old spice?

(But I pray God that there isn't!!!)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like

Old Spice is a great scent for the price... I did hate it.. but now.. as im older i have added it to my collection..

Makes me feel really fresh when i apply..

Post Thanks / Like

Just for point of argument...

If: In a blind/control setting..format: New fragrance testing...no info given vs famous designer brand lots of info given..scent notes..longevity..sillage..marketing slicks etc...

I think if old spice were that "new scent" with no info...it would get high marks in reviews..its an easy target..but it has survived...no make that prevailed in a very competitive field and usually is the first name chosen when asked; what is an inexpensive after shave/cologne...

it's unpretentious and can't be insulted...to many, myself included...its a pleasing scent ..
    wolf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    I saw an Old Spice commercial on Comedy Central during the "Daily Show". It starred Bruce Campell of the "Evil Dead" movies and "Army of Darkeness" fame. Probably shot by Sam Raimi. That's something I can find out. It was humerous. and very professionally done.
    Interestingly they showed no product, nor gave no any idea what the product they were advertising was or did. But the subtext was if you really want something... and they left you hanging.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

you never got a whiff of the bile that came in the faux porcelin bottle of the sixties. It smelled like New Jersey's Turnpike at night, middle of summer, windows down, gas refinereries to the right and chemical plants to your left along with the stench of the abbatoirs that would not move under a weather system that stalled. Plus there were no pollution laws so that truck that just passed was emitting thick black smoke. I'm half way there to giving you an idea and I'm getting ill.