Code of Conduct

Default A chance to come clean...

Does any of the “newbies” or any of the ol’ basenotes vets ever get the feeling that their taste is widely different from the other basenoters? For example, Creed! Although I have only tried two Creeds, Himalaya and SWM, good gosh I was greatly turned off by one (SWM) and not the least impressed by the other and yet people rave about them all of the time here. Yes, I know, we all have different tastes and so on and so on. This is not the issue I am posing here. Just want to know what are some of the not-so-great experiences that some of the “newbies” or anyone in general has had with some of the most popular scents here on basenotes. I guess my taste is more universal without desiring necessarily a unique, dominating note that is the signature of the fragrance like tea, although, again, I do love the smell of chocolate and vetiver. But still, I want that universal scent to be unique like, thanks to the ones who led me to some of my new favs, Ormonde Jayne’s, GFT, and a couple of Malle’s fragrances that I have grown to adore. But I digress! Again, the purpose of this thread is for those of you to come clean and admit if you feel that your taste is vastly different than most of the basenoters on here which isn’t bad at all of course! It’s the difference that validates discussions like the potential of this one that takes place here on a regular basis!

Oh, will be trying some of the “L’Artisan’s” samples this month. Make no mistake about it, I am doing it because I enjoy it…

Default Re: A chance to come clean...

Tastes vary a great deal, no surprise in that. I can't stand BdP although it is almost universally (well at least in BN) loved.
    Stick around to discover that people also widely disagrees on the longevity of scents. I have heard people complaining about the longevity of A*Men and Terre de Hermes and quite frankly a few spritzes last over two days on me.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I didn't like a few of the "raved" Creeds the first time I smelled them (Bois du Portugal, Royal English Leather), but I've come to enjoy BdP, and tolerate REL. I think it takes time for you to understand them, and once you do understand them, you may not like them anyways. It's part of what makes them niche, not everyone around you is going to enjoy them either.
    L'Artisans are the same way. The only L'Artisans I liked from the start were Voleur de Roses and Fou de Absinthe, but I don't like FdA's drydown, so that changed quickly. Dzing! is an example of a fragrance that I hated when I first tried it, but I tried it a few months later, and lo' and behold, I've got a bottle coming in the mail today. Try 'em a few different times. You may still dislike them, but you'll have a better understanding of them anyways.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I will come clean - I prefer Creed Original Santal & Creed Green Valley over Creed Bois Du Portugal.

There are some Malle's I like, e.g., Musc Ravageur & Carnal Flower, but overall this line seems too muted and well behaved overall. It seems to be lacking a certain character, that something. It still has a lot to prove before it can hang out with other established niche lines. I am still looking for that one "WOW!" scent - to be fair, its still a young house though.

I dont like L'Artisan as much as most Basenoters too (except Dzing!). To me its one of the weakest big niche houses. Even at its (comparatively) low retail prices, I wouldnt pay retail for its bottles.
    -

My tastes swing back and forth.

About a month ago I was desiring all things niche. I got the LV's, the Creeds, the MPG's and I only will keep maybe 2 of them. They're just so "odd". Villoresi's just don't "fly" on me.

Lately, I've been groovin' on designer scents.

I find I like a little bit of about every genre, and I don't fit neatly into any one classification.

Gio, Calvin, Creed, Bond, MPG, A&Fitch, Jo Malone, Chanel, Polo...I just wanna smell good, BRO!!

Smile Re: A chance to come clean...

After joining basenotes, I have learned one very important thing that is not to decide about a certain fragrance at the first trial.As the drummer mentioned already you may still not like a certain fragrance after several tryings but you will definitely understand the idea behind it better.
    When I first tried Knize Ten, it was a super hot and humid august day and I dared to spritz it liberally on both of my wrists.I was nearly vomiting and washed it off immediately.I was very depressed because it was a blind buy and I did not know what to do with a 125 ml. bottle of it.I packed it up and waited a few months until the autumn came.Then I tried it again with a walk through method and BAM! I could not believe this delicious concoction was the same scent that made me gag a few months ago.Now it is in my top 5.
    On the other hand , no matter how many times I tried Bandit, it always made me ill.

As a new BN Member & Supporter I find it very interesting to read other basenoters opinions, however it hasn't influenced my taste as yet.

If I like something, I will get it,use it and write about it, regardless what the opinions are as their are millions.....

It has however definately widened my interest in certain brands or lines that I wasn't aware of before.

Take Creed for example: I always avoided it, not even tested it as I thought it was over-hyped. Then I got a Acier Aluminium sample send from BN pal, and liked it very much and will purchase it.

I have been very interested in frags for the last 30 years, and find it fascinating how some people really like or really dislike a certain frag, like for example the often mentioned Kouros, A*Man or Rive Gauche.
    The differences in tastes and opinions is what keeps basenotes interesting, as well as the variety within the threads, from expert opinions to the more light hearted chat, all good..live and let live..!

I did a blind buy of last year's runner up for Basenotes best new fragrance: Givenchy's Very Irresistible for Men. Didn't like it from start to finish. Bottle for sale.

I'm trying to like Guerlain's Vetiver, but there's still a hint of cat pee in it for me. Not for sale, yet, but Vetiver Extraordinaire on the way.

A*Men-- no way, men.

I understand about the Creeds, but do try Bois du Portugal if you're into masculine scents. It's brilliant, imo. I find GIT more appealing than MI and SMW, but they all depart too soon.

No one seems to care for Varvatos Vintage. I keep going back to it to see if it'll put me off, but I still find it's drydown appealing (it still gets many compliments from the fairer sex, too.)

I've just ordered a number of samples from a Basenoter that cover much of the recent awards nominees. It'll be interesting to try them...should help give me a reference for what everyone's talking about here.

I do not feel that my tastes in scent are vastly different from the majority of BNrs. Indeed, I see that many other members share at least a couple of my own top-10 scents whenever such a thread develops.

On the other hand, yes, I am downright tepid on several highly popular scents that are oft-noted/recommended here: M7, Musc Ravaguer; and L'Instant, to name a few of the more prominent. Good, healthy, variety is the spice of life.

Sure, I've found differences in taste, but it's not a big deal or problem.

The way it's worked for me is that by reading reviews and opinions, I find things to discover and then have to hunt down someone who sells samples (or sometimes do decants through the board here). Iterating this process allows you to discover who on here has tastes similar to yours and then by investigating their wardrobe, you can find more candidates.

Differences in opinion are to be expected and bring welcome variety and depth to the discussions.

I have to admit that I have really tried hard to like the Malle frags. I own Vetiver Extraordinaire but it is just not working for me. The only other Malle that I find interesting is Bigarade Concentree, but since I have Declaration, and Terre d'Hermes, I don't feel compelled to buy it right now.

I also must come clean on Andy Tauer - LDDM. In ifconfig's now famous thread, I was one of the basenoters that argued that I found Andy's price hike to be more than a little curious. I have never questioned the quality of LDDM though, I really like it, bought it recently, and it has moved to my top 10. Although I still stand by my arguments about the timing of his price hike, I will not let that effect how I feel of Andy's work both now and in the future.

I know more people who share similare tastes to me than those who I'm a polar opposite to. I can't think of a house that I don't like. One popular fragrance tha I don't really like at all is Kouros by YSL. It is one of the most disputed fragrances that I can think of and I would not wear it. I don't want to start anything in this thread about what I think about that cologne though. It is just one that doesn't agree with my nose but does with most others.

Well....I have to come clean about my dislike of the house of Serge Lutens. At least from the ones I've tried, I'm not diggin the house too much. Almost all of them smell alike so my past memories of testing them seem hazy. I can't really distinguish one from another. I actually never really thought I'd dislike a perfume. If I didn't like a perfume, I'd say it wasn't for me or didn't work with my skin, I just appreciated it for what it was, but damn...that Miel de Bois was some nasty sh*t.

Although I own and like MKK, it isn't really a perfume I'd wear. It more of something to admire. I rarely wear it, and my bell jar just sits in my closet. FT was nice at first but after 6 wearing, it got boring. Chergui is a nice scent but far too "pretty" to be worn by any man IMO, best suited for a women.

When I came here Casran by Chopard was all the rage, Platinum Egoiste was also the rage, and Scentimus swore to us up and down that Amen was best in the hottest of summer.

I smelled Casran and thought, well, it's true you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. I smelled Platinum Egoiste and bought it. I came to Basenotes and swore up and down how wonderful it was, getting a chick while wearing it was as easy as lighting a match, and all that. But I wore it every third or 4th day for a month and then I couldn't stand it. Resolved to watch out for the foolery those guys on Basenotes brought out of me.

Amen? Never in the summer, but talk about daring experiments Basenoters do! It made me want to do some crazy smell stuff too, and I thought I would buy some of the high end fragrance sprays, put it on liberally and then go ride a crowded bus! That's the Basenotes way--get a story to tell the guys or make the newbies join in. Best if you can do both at the same time.

Then I smelled Dzing and Yatagan and couldn't stop praising them to the limits of my voice. Had to spread the olfactory wonder. Suddenly had the bug, and wanted to spread some of my own new found hype.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Oh gosh have I had problems with this. It's not so much that I don't like the fragrance itself. More often, something about it literally doesn't agree with my stomach.

For example: I like the smell of DZING! a lot. Really, I do. But it gives me that feeling in the back of my throat that I get when I eat too much of something that's too sweet really fast. Same with SMW now that I think about it. In that category, category I much prefer Bvlgari au the Vert.

Bel Ami and M7 make me extremely sleepy, lethargic, and uninterested in food for some reason, and I like the smells of both of them.

Most of the scent's that I actually don't like the smell of are commonly disliked around here.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    When I came here Casran by Chopard was all the rage, Platinum Egoiste was also the rage, and Scentimus swore to us up and down that Amen was best in the hottest of summer.

I smelled Casran and thought, well, it's true you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. I smelled Platinum Egoiste and bought it. I came to Basenotes and swore up and down how wonderful it was, getting a chick while wearing it was as easy as lighting a match, and all that. But I wore it every third or 4th day for a month and then I couldn't stand it. Resolved to watch out for the foolery those guys on Basenotes brought out of me.

Amen? Never in the summer, but talk about daring experiments Basenoters do! It made me want to do some crazy smell stuff too, and I thought I would buy some of the high end fragrance sprays, put it on liberally and then go ride a crowded bus! That's the Basenotes way--get a story to tell the guys or make the newbies join in. Best if you can do both at the same time.

Then I smelled Dzing and Yatagan and couldn't stop praising them to the limits of my voice. Had to spread the olfactory wonder. Suddenly had the bug, and wanted to spread some of my own new found hype.
    --Chris

I am gonna come clean now: I have two confessions to make

1) I love A*men in summer
    2) Dreamer and Cannabis Santal give me nausea.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Oscar Wilde once said "In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane". Most of what is said on Basenotes is nothing more then a matter of opinion. One of the most important things I learned after joining Basenotes was to recognize that. The MOST important thing I leaned was to develop and trust my own form of insanity! I mean opinions.

Yes, there are very vocal groups who think fragrance X or fragrance Y is gods gift to man. I've learned, the expensive way, to try, preferably with an extended test, before I buy. Decants are good, both for extended tests and for the fragrances that I will not use enough to justify a full bottle. I see people buying up so many bottles that there is no way they will be able to use them up before they go bad.

I've learned to temper other people's enthusiasm for their favorite fragrance, especially for Creed products. Nothing against Creed, I think they put out a high quality product but other then Royal English Leather, I've really not found any Creed product that impressive. What I have found is Creed fragrances are VASTLY over priced and I virtually always can find a product for 1/4 the price from another company that I like MUCH more.

OK, so now I've come clean...
    Last edited by oolong; 2nd February 2007 at 12:47 AM.

Talking Re: A chance to come clean...

Ok, here goes I guess.

A*Men sucks.

There, I said it.

I have had a love/hate relationship with Givenchy Gentleman ever since I first tried it. Some days I wear it and it is fantastic and I wonder why people don't like it, and some days I feel like it wears me and that civet note stands out way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard
    I have had a love/hate relationship with Givenchy Gentleman ever since I first tried it. Some days I wear it and it is fantastic and I wonder why people don't like it, and some days I feel like it wears me and that civet note stands out way too much.

I've had a similar experience Givenchy Gentleman. I expect it has something to do with the weather.

differing tastes is what makes such a hobby intruiging

if everyone liked the same thing...there would be nothing to talk about in these forums...

the more "universally" liked fragrances that I dislike is Dior Fahrenheit...cant get pass the cut grass thing... also the ubber popular Guerlain's Vetiver...dunno whats wrong with my nose smell like soggy soil to me...

on the other hand the ones that are dissed alot that I end up quite liking are Dunhill Desire, Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise and Paco Rabanne Black XS
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

This is not a secret, I can't stand Serge Lutens. My newbie mistake was taking BN posts a little too seriously. By the time I actually tried SL, I was totally unimpressed. Chergui this, Turque that...bleh. Take everything you read here as a grain of salt and recognize that everyone has different tastes, even if the masses agree.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    My tastes swing back and forth.

About a month ago I was desiring all things niche. I got the LV's, the Creeds, the MPG's and I only will keep maybe 2 of them. They're just so "odd". Villoresi's just don't "fly" on me.

Lately, I've been groovin' on designer scents.

I find I like a little bit of about every genre, and I don't fit neatly into any one classification.

Gio, Calvin, Creed, Bond, MPG, A&Fitch, Jo Malone, Chanel, Polo...I just wanna smell good, BRO!!
    "I just wanna smell good, BRO!!" is my creed for this hobby. Kinda ironic that I used that word.

Quote Originally Posted by asleep
    I did a blind buy of last year's runner up for Basenotes best new fragrance: Givenchy's Very Irresistible for Men. Didn't like it from start to finish. Bottle for sale.

I'm trying to like Guerlain's Vetiver, but there's still a hint of cat pee in it for me. Not for sale, yet, but Vetiver Extraordinaire on the way.

A*Men-- no way, men.

I understand about the Creeds, but do try Bois du Portugal if you're into masculine scents. It's brilliant, imo. I find GIT more appealing than MI and SMW, but they all depart too soon.

No one seems to care for Varvatos Vintage. I keep going back to it to see if it'll put me off, but I still find it's drydown appealing (it still gets many compliments from the fairer sex, too.)

I've just ordered a number of samples from a Basenoter that cover much of the recent awards nominees. It'll be interesting to try them...should help give me a reference for what everyone's talking about here.
    Vetiver extraordinaire is actually one that I did not like very much, compared to Bigarade, but it's growing on me with every use.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet
    Ok, here goes I guess.

A*Men sucks.

There, I said it.
    I give you credit for "coming clean", but, I think you are safe from getting jumped as it is clear this is one of the most controversial scents on here.

I must admit to those who advise me to not give up on a fragrance so soon. I have a tedency to do that and I do not take the climate as a consideration in what to wear at all. I can also admit that I was somewhat timid about admitting I dislike a widely popular house so it's nice to see people express their opinions. I guess I don't have to keep "sugar coating" my opinions anymore.

Everyone seems to like Azzaro Pour Homme and Very Irresistable for Men. I don't care for either.

One thing, I've tried A*Men on many occasions, but I still don't like it. I know why people would like it, it's a well constructed gourmand, but I don't like gourmands, so...
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I don't like L'instant ph, become sick of opium edp, i actually do 'like' original santal, completely unimpressed with Terre d' hermes and i think that all CK scents are in fact rather nice to wear.

In trumpeting what the others have said...to each his/her own. I always try to sample before I buy. When a review by a Basenoter sounds good, I will hunt down a sample to try it. Most of the time it does not live up to my hoped expectations. But then there are those scents that achieve nirvana and for me and that is what makes all this so interesting.

IMO most simple mainstream fragrances are OK (not saying great, but ones that will not be that offensive). When you start venturing into scents that are more removed (niche and adventurous offerings by larger companies) the differences of opinion become greater. But, as I said earlier, just my opinion on the subject.

I have several of these coming clean things. The biggest one is that

I prefer cool water to g.i.t.

I like many creeds, it is my favourite house along with guerlain but I really don't like Green Irish Tweed. By the way I don't like Silver Mountain Water or Himalaya much either. I urge you to try other creeds though as there are lots of gems there.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    Everyone seems to like Azzaro Pour Homme and Very Irresistable for Men. I don't care for either.
    Boy, you don't seem to have read the comments on Very Irresistable thoroughly One of the most disliked scents on basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder

I know a couple of people who prefer Cool Water to GIT - they cant stand the earthy violet note in GIT, and prefer the fresh accord of Cool Water.
    -

Well, one scent that really makes me nauseous is Creed's Tabarome Millesime, OMG! I don't know what's going on when I put that on, but there must be something with my skin chemistry, as that sour stench really can't be the way it's supposed to smell... Not a big fan of BdP either... However I looove Vetiver '48 and EROLFA!

regards

Fredrik

Well, I'm a completely filthy boy! So, here goes:

Creed - I really can't be bothered with their stuff (and I've given this house many chances). Dodgy quality control doesn't help matters either.

L'Artisan - a totally overrated niche house. Olfactory effect my arse...

Frederick Malle - most of their fragrances failed to impress me (although VE is bloody astounding).

Different Company, Guerlain and Divine - I find their fragrances a bit wishy-washy and lacking substance (or a 'core'). Finesse? Sophistication? Yeah, right! Pull the other one!

Caron - the male fragrances smell horribly dated and disgusting.

Hermès - with the possible exception of the Hermèssence range, possess too much of a sameness about them (with crap longevity).

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Lorenzo Villoresi and Mona di Orio - these houses have produced some of the most sickening scents I've tested so far.

Montale - very easy to grow sick and tired of, and usually before the day's over (and some of them I really like - go figure).

LesNez and Bond No.9 - to me, their fragrances are a complete joke and an insult to one's intelligence.

Boucheron - stuffy, bourgeois cack.

Bulgari - come on, give us some f***ing basenotes!!!

Ermm... I think I'm done now...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor

Creed - I really can't be bothered with their stuff (and I've given this house many chances). Dodgy quality control doesn't help matters either.

Frederick Malle - most of their fragrances failed to impress me (although VE is bloody astounding).

Different Company, Guerlain and Divine - I find their fragrances a bit wishy-washy and lacking substance (or a 'core'). Finesse? Sophistication? Yeah, right! Pull the other one!

Hermès - with the possible exception of the Hermèssence range, possess too much of a sameness about them (with crap longevity).

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Lorenzo Villoresi and Mona di Orio - these houses have produced some of the most sickening scents I've tested so far.

Montale - very easy to grow sick and tired of, and usually before the day's over (and some of them I really like - go figure).

LesNez and Bond No.9 - to me, their fragrances are a complete joke and an insult to one's intelligence.

Whew. Good--at least we know Diptyque is safe.

(Great lines in this fine post, Treb.)

LOL!
    -

Nothing serious damage to the souls of bnoters: only one is 'overrated'.

I like many creeds, it is my favourite house along with guerlain but I really don't like Green Irish Tweed. By the way I don't like Silver Mountain Water or Himalaya much either. I urge you to try other creeds though as there are lots of gems there.
    A man with good taste! I suppose it's time that I give the decant bottles a chance as I generally just ignore that type of "sampling".

Voleur de Roses makes me puke. nasty nasty.

A long time ago i swapped away my bottle of Havana, i'll regret that forever. What the **** was i thinking.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    Boy, you don't seem to have read the comments on Very Irresistable thoroughly One of the most disliked scents on basenotes.
    All right, then I'll "come clean" by admitting that it's one of my favorites. (Said with confidence since it was my SOTD.)
    Last edited by PaulSC; 3rd February 2007 at 06:49 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Yes! Thank you, Bulgari is another house I have been disappointed by. As an open fan of acquatics, I was let down by Aqva...the dry down just smells like a bad version of Armani's GIO to me. I must revisit the masterpiece thread to see which houses you thought were good because this is a list that sure knock some great fragrances off their pedestal.

Quote Originally Posted by silk4ever
    Yes! Thank you, Bulgari is another house I have been disappointed by. As an open fan of acquatics, I was let down by Aqva...the dry down just smells like a bad version of Armani's GIO to me. I must revisit the masterpiece thread to see which houses you thought were good because this is a list that sure knock some great fragrances off their pedestal.
    Maybe he likes the traditional english houses like Penhaligons, Geo f Trumper, Czech & Speake, Truefitt & Hill and even Miller Harris.
    -

I agree. I really tried to like GIT but just couldn't. Cool Water on the other hand is a valued fragrance in my wardrobe and regularly gets compliments from my SO.
    --------------------------------------
    I do just want to add that this is an exceptionally good thread. My compliments to silk4ever for starting it!!!!
    Last edited by oolong; 3rd February 2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Maybe he likes the traditional english houses like Penhaligons, Geo f Trumper, Czech & Speake, Truefitt & Hill and even Miller Harris.
    WRONG! But, then again, I haven't got round to trying them.

I've been part of Basenotes for almost a year and I'm still astounded by some of the hype that goes on here. Yeah, everyone's different, etc, which is why I've kept silent - until now!

Some of the houses I mentioned are not necessarily bad (mainly Bulgari [no basenotes], Montale [becomes irritating to wear after a few hours], Frederick Malle [fails to capture my imagination], Hermès [poor longevity], L'Artisan [too watered down] and Guerlain [too faint and fragile]) - they just lack that 'something' to make me want to inflict some damage on my bank account. Some of their fragrances I actually do like but refuse to purchase, based on significant shortcomings. I'm not one for building a collection (of anything) on products that I consider to be 'lacking', thus my 'detailed' post.

AFAIC, this thread is the perfect opportunity to 'let rip' on certain houses and fragrances - there's no way I'm going to chicken out, for fear of what other basenoters think! As everyone constantly states, 'each to their own'.
    Serge Lutens, Diptyque and Andy Tauer create some brilliant stuff, IMHO. Even though I don't love everything they release, I do respect these houses.
    Last edited by Trebor; 3rd February 2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

AFAIC, this thread is the perfect opportunity to 'let rip' on certain houses and fragrances - there's no way I'm going to chicken out, for fear of what other basenoters think! As everyone constantly states, 'each to their own'.
    You guys are making me see how right Dr. Freud was about repressed feelings!

(Trebor makes lots of great and insightful posts on the board, so I don't reply to him alone, but his words here are so perfect for my reply.)

Heck, it seems so easy to me--why not share your opinions instead of being afraid of them? Piper Nigrum was the big kahuna around here for a long time so I tried it. I hated it. I said so! Off my chest and done with. Made for some fun discussion too, and maybe everyone thought about a scent again. What would the use have been if I had kept quiet and started to hate Basenotes and, as some do, condemn members for being "elitist?" All I had to do was say my piece. Maybe doing so steered some other readers straight. Why not say your piece about a scent you like or dislike rather than making a new piece about the juggernaut of going against perceived "Basenotes tastes." Your tastes make up Basenotes tastes. Hell, it will be a better place if you contribute.

Hold your tongue, hold your disagreements inside, and then they clearly burst out from inside as if you've been wronged. I'm just working the metaphor here, not urging any members to do it really, but share your thoughts or its time to get on the couch.

Blog Entries

Try being the only one on the board who raves about Kenneth Cole Reaction!!!

But...since I have found Halston Unbound readily available @ Marshall's for $10 for a 100ml bottle, I can see myself not buying Reaction again. Unbound curbs my craving for light and melon-y notes. But...Reaction has a bit of a grassy note that I like...
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    I agree. I really tried to like GIT but just couldn't. Cool Water on the other hand is a valued fragrance in my wardrobe and regularly gets compliments from my SO.
    I do just want to add that this is an exceptionally good thread. My compliments to silk4ever for starting it!!!!
    It would be "ungentleman" of me not to say thanks for the compliment!
    WRONG! But, then again, I haven't got round to trying them.

I've been part of Basenotes for almost a year and I'm still astounded by some of the hype that goes on here. Yeah, everyone's different, etc, which is why I've kept silent - until now!

Some of the houses I mentioned are not necessarily bad (mainly Bulgari [no basenotes], Montale [becomes irritating to wear after a few hours], Frederick Malle [fails to capture my imagination], Hermès [poor longevity], L'Artisan [too watered down] and Guerlain [too faint and fragile]) - they just lack that 'something' to make me want to inflict some damage on my bank account. Some of their fragrances I actually do like but refuse to purchase, based on significant shortcomings. I'm not one for building a collection (of anything) on products that I consider to be 'lacking', thus my 'detailed' post.

Serge Lutens, Diptyque and Andy Tauer create some brilliant stuff, IMHO. Even though I don't love everything they release, I do respect these houses.
    Serge Lutens is another house with a notable reputation on here that I will be trying this month. You should give some of the English fragrances a try though, I've been impressed by quite a few.
    You guys are making me see how right Dr. Freud was about repressed feelings!

(Trebor makes lots of great and insightful posts on the board, so I don't reply to him alone, but his words here are so perfect for my reply.)

Heck, it seems so easy to me--why not share your opinions instead of being afraid of them? Piper Nigrum was the big kahuna around here for a long time so I tried it. I hated it. I said so! Off my chest and done with. Made for some fun discussion too, and maybe everyone thought about a scent again. What would the use have been if I had kept quiet and started to hate Basenotes and, as some do, condemn members for being "elitist?" All I had to do was say my piece. Maybe doing so steered some other readers straight. Why not say your piece about a scent you like or dislike rather than making a new piece about the juggernaut of going against perceived "Basenotes tastes." Your tastes make up Basenotes tastes. Hell, it will be a better place if you contribute.

Hold your tongue, hold your disagreements inside, and then they clearly burst out from inside as if you've been wronged. I'm just working the metaphor here, not urging any members to do it really, but share your thoughts or its time to get on the couch.
    I actually agree with what you’re saying there. Some of the most interesting threads have been the "masterpiece" thread and it only gained more value with the "disasterpiece" thread to follow. I think, in my case, sometimes, you see that there is a fragrance someone loves and you don't want to seem like your attacking that person's taste. That's why I love the, "It's a great fragrance, but, it's just not for me" phrase as I have used it quite often in the past. Of course, what I am really thinking is, "Did he lose his ability to smell or something by playing around with too many bottle rockets?”
    Last edited by silk4ever; 5th February 2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[t]he purpose of this thread is for those of you to come clean and admit if you feel that your taste is vastly different than most of the basenoters on here . . . ."
    The thread that has developed goes a long way toward falsifying the idea that "most of the basenoters" agree on much where fragrance likes and dislikes are concerned. I don't think being unmoved by Himalaya or SMW is so unusual here.

Really, sampling these two Creeds--or any two--tells you nothing meaningful about what you will think of any other Creed. The same is true with most other houses. I think every house whose fragrances I own has other fragrances in its product line that I don't care for at all.