Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Thumbs up Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Hello. Can anyone help me find some of the older stock of 'Gentleman' (the black and white box with the Givenchy logos, the bottle with the silver wrap around label)? I have tried several websites and all I can find now is the newer version which is not quite the same. My address is <ls1011@yahoo.com>. I would appreciate your help!!

    Larry

  2. #2

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    I occasionally see the older version of Gentleman on Ebay. That is where I would look.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Yeah.. if you find one pm me and let me in. Love the original Givenchy Gentleman. Used to be my "signature'.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    he states "no box no lid" a tester would not have a lid or cap yet the pictured item has a cap. ask him if you're bidding on the pictured item or something else.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Have they changed the formula on this !!! ?
    How different is the newer version ?

  7. #7
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,826

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by david
    Have they changed the formula on this !!! ?
    How different is the newer version ?
    The juice is still good.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd February 2007 at 09:34 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by david
    Have they changed the formula on this !!! ?
    How different is the newer version ?
    I have the new and the old. The old is markedly superior. It has a smooth civet note that bridges the spice and the patchoulli. The old is a dream, the new is a rather rough approximation to that dream: it lacks the polish of the old.

    There is an ebay store, called theimportsguy, that have 2oz and 7oz bottles for a very reasonable price. Here is the number for the first.

    GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN EAU DE TOILETTE 2 OZ VINTAGE RETIRED (#190055935075)

    best

    Eluard
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Go to this website www.dutyfreeperfume.co.uk and in the mens bargains there is a givenchy gentlemen for sale which is a tester but the bottle they show seems to be an older style one .

  10. #10
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,826

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    I have the new and the old. The old is markedly superior. It has a smooth civet note that bridges the spice and the patchoulli. The old is a dream, the new is a rather rough approximation to that dream: it lacks the polish of the old.

    There is an ebay store, called theimportsguy, that have 2oz and 7oz bottles for a very reasonable price. Here is the number for the first.

    GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN EAU DE TOILETTE 2 OZ VINTAGE RETIRED (#190055935075)

    best

    Eluard
    I've been wearing it off and on for the last twenty years. I have a bottle of the new juice and a relatively fresh bottle of the old juice. There isn't a significant difference.

    The stuff from the importsguy is at least twenty five years old.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd February 2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #11

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I've been wearing it off and on for the last twenty years. I have a bottle of the new juice and a relatively fresh bottle of the old juice. There isn't a significant difference.

    The stuff from the importsguy is at least twenty five years old.
    I disagree on the first, sufficiently to have hunted down a good quantity of the old stuff.

    Also, I found the importsguy good to deal with, and I've been happy with what I've bought from him: nothing has been off, nothing has been spoiled. Frequently it is the old stuff, well preserved, that we want. He is a good supplier.

    At any rate, the original poster can make up his own mind on this matter, by trying both.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  12. #12
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,826

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    I disagree on the first, sufficiently to have hunted down a good quantity of the old stuff.

    Also, I found the importsguy good to deal with, and I've been happy with what I've bought from him: nothing has been off, nothing has been spoiled. Frequently it is the old stuff, well preserved, that we want. He is a good supplier.

    At any rate, the original poster can make up his own mind on this matter, by trying both.
    Theimportsguy is great to deal with. He inherited the perfume from his father. Most all of the juice is at least twenty years old and he doesn't know a lot about it. He'll refund your money if you don't like the product. He told me the GG is approximately twenty five years old. The Pour Monsieur I bought from him was in poor condition (unwearable) but it's at least thirty years old.

    I don't wear GG much anymore but the new juice is remarkably similar to the original.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd February 2007 at 11:01 AM.

  13. #13
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Well, I actually own the "new" pack (black, instead of black and white"), and I can detect both the civet and the patchouli. I would even say that these notes are very loud. And I like it as a "mature" fragrance.

    In Eluard's description, seems that it was smoother before, and now it is somewhat sharper. Quite the opposite complaint that is usually made about the reformulations of this kind of chypre (see threads on Antaeus, Van Cleef and Arpels, etc.).

    Even if it was changed, it doesn't smell like a modern frag to my humble nose, but as a well crafted old-times frag, for sure.

    Perhaps ignorance is a bliss. But I tend do suspect that one has to know the juice from a long time to realize that it changed a little bit, and, in that case, I don't believe the effect it creates on others is really affected by the change.

    Peace

  14. #14

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    the importguy also says:

    "There was a European Imports store in Tijuana Mexico, from 1928 to 1986, after 20 years we are selling all the inventory that was left when the store closed. We have many European Perfume, Porcelain and fine Cristal."

    which I'm leery of
    if you use rss he's got the orange rss thing at the store level so you can see him add stuff everyday, Must've been a hell of a big store.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    This blasted forum "seduced" me to try this one just two days ago, and guess what? I love it, but it was a bit of a shock at first. What patchouli? That's like so late 70s, with girlfriends with their strange winning ways and unplucked eyebrows (among other things). Patchouli? You have got to be kidding! Then I let it settle, and it was amazing, warm, rich, very difficult to describe. I often get images of persons whom I associate with a fragrance. This one is Agnelli, (what was his first name?) the late Fiat auto magnet, and great stylist, as well as F. Lee Bailey, the late Boston lawyer who looked great in navy pin stripe suits. What an incredible elegant fragrance. I will get it now that I demoed it at home and know "She Who Must Be Obeyed" doesn't hate it. When I get a wiff of that patchuli, however, I will think of la belle femme and "Le Temp Perdu". Yes, I am one of the older guys on this Forum and really like classy stuff from the past. Thanks basenoters, really appreciate it. Would never have thought about this without your "help" at separating me from my hard earned cash. Ah well, life is short.

    Joe

    PS Yes, found a place in midtown Manhattan that has the proper white/black box as well so I guess I am golden on this one.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    I've got a bottle of both the new and the old. They are very similar but I find that older has a more pronounced Civet note. I find this to be both a good and a bad thing. Occasionally I find the Civet note in the older to be a bit over powering. I suspect that it has something to do with the climate conditions. I've found that when it is warmer and more humid that the new Gentleman works better for me and when it is dry and cool I find the older is more to my liking. That being said, the older has a little more character and the new is a bit more accessible to a first time user; but both are very good.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

  17. #17

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    I own the old formulation and it's one of a few fragrances I feel not masculine enough to pull it off. It's probably the most tight and masculine juice I came across - ever.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

  18. #18

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances
    This blasted forum "seduced" me to try this one just two days ago, and guess what? I love it, but it was a bit of a shock at first. What patchouli? That's like so late 70s, with girlfriends with their strange winning ways and unplucked eyebrows (among other things). Patchouli? You have got to be kidding! Then I let it settle, and it was amazing, warm, rich, very difficult to describe. I often get images of persons whom I associate with a fragrance. This one is Agnelli, (what was his first name?) the late Fiat auto magnet, and great stylist, as well as F. Lee Bailey, the late Boston lawyer who looked great in navy pin stripe suits. What an incredible elegant fragrance. I will get it now that I demoed it at home and know "She Who Must Be Obeyed" doesn't hate it. When I get a wiff of that patchuli, however, I will think of la belle femme and "Le Temp Perdu". Yes, I am one of the older guys on this Forum and really like classy stuff from the past. Thanks basenoters, really appreciate it. Would never have thought about this without your "help" at separating me from my hard earned cash. Ah well, life is short.

    Joe

    PS Yes, found a place in midtown Manhattan that has the proper white/black box as well so I guess I am golden on this one.

    Well, Joe, let me also recommend Ténére (see earlier thread), by Paco Rabanne, as another of those old-school frags that you will probably like. It's discontinued but can still be found about the place. Look for the cheesy red and black cap.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    I have given the topic of GG a lot of thought. I have decided, pretty much, not to buy it after all. I just think it is too strong, or it's too strong if you apply it in a way to obtain maximum benefit of the various constituent parts. While I love fragrances that "make a statement" I have to accept the fact that almost everyone in the world who is not in tune with basenotes.com does not feel the same way, and I would feel uncomfortable wearing this beautiful brute of a scent in public. The truth is, I wore a second test application last Friday, and on the commuter train I ride I got looks similar to those given to guys (or gals) who talk loudly on their cell phones. I got dirty looks and coughing for wearing a scent that I THOUGHT was fabulous. I don't think, in my work or personal life, that I want to stand out that much. We live in a curious age when people are as brash and uncivilized and rude as can be, and mostly that is accepted. But a guy can't wear a fragrance on a train without people coughing or moving away, or secretaries or co-workers rolling their eyes. So.....I will pass, I am not going to buy something (like the hyper-expensive Antico Caruso that sits all alone in my closet) that I end up not using. Instead, because I am temporarily bored with all my lovely fragrances, I will probably buy the more docile Monseiur or Dunhill (34) which I don't have and I will be happy and not worry about "public opinion".

    Joe the Coward

  20. #20

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances
    We live in a curious age when people are as brash and uncivilized and rude as can be, and mostly that is accepted. But a guy can't wear a fragrance on a train without people coughing or moving away, or secretaries or co-workers rolling their eyes.

    Joe the Coward
    It's true. The more people can't control the really serious disturbances in their lives, the more they fret about the minor ones.

    I find GG needs about an hour to settle in, so that it doesn't disturb the horses. For the first hour or so it blazes out like a beacon. Then it simmers down a bit.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    I personally have not had a problem with people around me not liking it. In fact I've had the exact opposite, I've received several compliments and one woman even asked what fragrance I was using so she could get some for her husband. I will agree that it is a strong scent and you have to be careful not to over apply. I use about 3 squirts.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

  22. #22

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    I personally have not had a problem with people around me not liking it. In fact I've had the exact opposite, I've received several compliments and one woman even asked what fragrance I was using so she could get some for her husband. I will agree that it is a strong scent and you have to be careful not to over apply. I use about 3 squirts.
    THREE SQUIRTS! THREE SQUIRTS! If I tried three squirts of GG someone might mistake me for a fumigation expert in mid-job. I barely can handle one. That's one of the reasons, I am sadly going to pass.

    Joe

  23. #23

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    i usually use about 3 or 4 of GG, but then i take a half hour to finish getting dressed (wear it under my clothes), a half hour to commute to work, and then about the first half hour i'm the only one in the office, so i have a good 1 1/2 hours to let it settle before anyone around me is exposed. so far all i've gotten is amazingly nice compliments.

    but my other half occasionally walks into the bathroom while i'm spraying and makes gagging, choking and coughing noises before he walks back out.

    can't say i blame him too much LOL

  24. #24

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    yes, what Rentboy said. Give it a chance to settle down and it really is very nice. The newer formulation is a bit easier to handle when you first spray it.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

  25. #25
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Well, I barely can stand 1 squirt. I currently own the "new version", and use it very rarely. And I must say it stays powerful for hours even so, and surely capable of making people gag, choke ang cough, like Rentboy's other half.

    That's why I'm reticent about getting the old stuff (I can get it here): I know its use would be even more restrict than my "new" bottle.

  26. #26

    Wink Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Unfortunately I am not only a refugee from Cuba, I am also a refugee from the 60's and that blasted PATCHOULI is a major time warp!
    Where did I put the love beads and my record of Abbey Road?
    I think I'm having an LDS flashback--no wait, that's The Mormons. Er . . . LSD?
    I think that's how you spell it . . .

    They really should have re-issued this for Austin Powers when the film came out, rather than having created 'Mojo'--why re-invent the wheel or the bong?

    In any case, I didn't even know there was a new formula with even MORE patchouli OMG!

    BTW, The old one can't be that old, as I got mine from Scentiments two years ago. And though this is touted as 'masculine and mature' there's apparently tons of women that like to wear it also--check out The Female Frags Forums.

    Heavy, man.

    Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 6th February 2007 at 09:16 PM.
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    For all of you that think that Givenchy 'Gentleman' is too intense, then stay away from another one of my more favorite fragrances, Andron by Jovan.

    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120099.html

    That was my first cologne way back in the early 80's. One squirt is all I can take but through the years it has been the most popular fragrance I've ever had with the women.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

  28. #28

    Cool Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Hey oolong, here you go:


    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JOVAN-AN...QQcmdZViewItem


    From $10 to $399??

    And to think some people feel sorry that they didn't buy Microsoft stock when it first came out.

    I don't know about this one. When you have middle notes of patchouli and woods with a base of civet, musk and ambergris--who needs pheromones?

    Is it subtler than GG?

    Cheers,

    Mario
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Givenchy 'Gentleman'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    Is it subtler than GG?
    Actually Andron makes GG seem weak. It is the most intense fragrance I've ever used.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Similar Threads

  1. Givenchy Gentleman and Bond No. 9 New York Hot Always EDP
    By scentemental in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th August 2011, 05:13 AM
  2. vintage Givenchy Gentleman and other thoughts on reformulations?
    By Strollyourlobster in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th November 2008, 11:45 AM
  3. Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?
    By Amit in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 13th March 2008, 07:02 PM
  4. Givenchy Gentleman versions: No Change
    By LuciusVorenus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28th January 2008, 06:17 AM
  5. Talk to me about Givenchy Gentleman
    By Bonski in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26th February 2005, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •