Code of Conduct

Default why is it good to save the box

why do people care about the box... I want to throw all mine away excpet maybe some really cool ones like no 88 or amouage. all they do is take up space. of course the ones autographed by tom ford and fred malle aren't going anywhere.

butI"m itching to throw out all my boxes.

but what are they good for you could use one to send to someone you hate and put a can of tuna inside.

Default Re: why is it good to save the box

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    excpet maybe some really cool ones like no 88 or amouage.
    yeah....others feel your feeling with no88 with their scents...

it just like piling up with stuff as a collection

if you want just mail your boxes to me...or at least recycle them....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

What are the boxes good for? Why, to keep the perfume bottles in, of course! ;-)
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I love my amouage arcus box, but for the most part, I save the boxes in the event I later desire to sell them on ebay!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

[Political comment deleted by moderator. Observe rule "#9: Avoid hot topics. Posts/signatures that involve politics are expressly forbidden on this board."
    --Chris]
    Last edited by DustB; 2nd February 2007 at 06:04 AM.

I have been keeping all of mine because should I ever trade away some of my scents or sell them, their new owner might like to have them to store their bottles in.

I tend to keep most boxes / packaging, particularly if it's something I "collect" - my other obsession that's just about as expensive as this one is yo-yo's. The last one I bought was about $90 and came in a nice cylindrical tin that was worth keeping (haha yes, there are $90 yo-yos and even $300+ "niche" yo-yos too!), but I keep the ones for the $40-$70 ones too - just in case I ever decide to throw em on Ebay a few years from now.

Aside from that, should I ever decide to move - boxes are ALOT easier to pack than a bunch of loose bottles, not to mention safer.

boxes make suave Ash trays...

esp the JPG Le Male one...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    What are the boxes good for? Why, to keep the perfume bottles in, of course! ;-)
    You are a genius!!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thrax

Cuz they look purdy...

In my case, I'm using the boxes so my scents are rarely exposed to light (and yeah, some boxes look really good). I have a bunch sitting in a drawer and a few in a closet, and whenever I open either of those storage places, the frags are still nice and dark .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    but what are they good for you could use one to send to someone you hate and put a can of tuna inside.
    Hahahaha... That one made me laugh. The weight of the tuna can would throw them off perfectly! "OMG I am opening a box of Malle from supermarky...oh wait, it's just Bumble Bee Tuna. "

I like to keep the boxes in case I decide to swap or sell later. I also just like the look of the boxes. I keep them in a larger box in the closet, but my Malle, L'Artisan, and Lutens boxes stay on a shelf near my fragrance collection where I can see them.

Dependent

I found out reading this thread why I'm saving the boxes. They custom fit your bottles in case you want to move the whole lot!!

Yea I would save the boxes too.

They come in handy when moving, or when taking a bottle with you while traveling. They are also useful when swapping or selling - quite a few people prefer boxes (and caps).
    -

well
    just in case any of you guys or gals might want to trow away your box
    send 'em to me....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Yea I would save the boxes too.

They come in handy when moving, or when taking a bottle with you while traveling. They are also useful when swapping or selling - quite a few people prefer boxes (and caps).
    Ditto!

I always keep the boxes, because they protect the perfume. All of my pure parfums are still stored that way. This way you can also stack them or arrange them like books in a drawer/shelf (which cannot be said for the oddly shaped bottles themselves!).

For spray bottles, I keep the boxes too, because when I travel I store them that way in my suitcase. This protects them from breaking etc.

Some packaging is unusual, and I always am fascinated by the different packaging solutions of different perfume companies.

And than - some fragrance collectors value the boxes for whatever reasons and if you are ever to swap the bottle away, they may prefer to have the box as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    I found out reading this thread why I'm saving the boxes. They custom fit your bottles in case you want to move the whole lot!!
    That's another very good reason! It's easier to pack them this way and it will also protect them from breakage. A lot harder to pack individual "bare" bottles.

I am all for keeping the boxes, in case you haven't noticed yet...
    Last edited by Ayala; 2nd February 2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

oh what to do?!

well certain bottles I know I will never swap and my frags are in a nice lugubrious place without any direct natural light.

I think a simple basenoters fetish for all things perfume related extending to the boxes is a big factor more than people actually planning to move. I just find space is at a premium for me. I need to have a garage sale for a lot of things I never use anymore. . .

I can be charitable but I don't think I'm angelic enough to bother with sending my unwanted boxes to the boxless. . ..
    Last edited by supermarky; 2nd February 2007 at 10:01 AM.

The thing about boxes, is that, no matter how dark it is inside your lugubrious space, it is so much darker inside the boxes inside your lugubrious space! So, for longevities sake, you should keep everything inside its original box. The darker it is the longer they will keep.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

If you feel that compelled to throw them away then you probably should. They won't be worth as much money. Obviously you need to keep them in a cool place away from light.

All of my bottles live in their boxes in order to protect them from the light. Some scent molecules break down in sunlight (damascones, the rosy/plum molecule in YSL Paris, Nahema and Nombre Noir decay into something quite different in sunlight; most miniatures of Nombre Noir these days smell nothing like the original because of that effect. Sadly, this includes the miniature that I picked up last year at a flea market.) I've read that you only need several hours' exposure to sunlight to irreversibly change the nature of a particularly sensitive perfume...and I've never exposed any of mine to the light for long enough to find out! My collection's very precious to me, and I treat it accordingly.

I am not as anally retentive about this as one of my friends, who has a small refrigerator for her perfumes. "What's for lunch? Cuir de Russie."