Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Question Did you like your mom's favorite scent?

I can recall one particularly distinct perfume and its aroma when my mother would apply it before going out. I didn't know or care to find out what it was then..but I am almost positive now it was Lanvin's Arpege from sniffing an older, partially full bottle recently and getting a flood of memories from the event.

What does/did your mom wear as her most favorite scent? Did you like it or hate it or just not give it a second thought?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Default Re: Did you like your mom's favorite scent?

Mom wore and wears Chanel No 5. She's only 49. In the 70's and 80's she had a classy punk style she was rockin.

My grandmother also wore Chanel No. 5. My grandfather picked it up for her while in Europe during the WWII. She wore Tabu too.
    Now my grandmother loves "Navy". Not sure what went wrong there. lol

To answer your question, I like Chanel No. 5, but at this time, I'm not interested in wearing it.
    Last edited by Loli; 3rd February 2007 at 03:54 PM.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

I remember my mother had an empty bottle of Shalimar parfum on her dresser. She wore lots of scents but sometimes she'd smell like the inside of that bottle so clearly, she had worn Shalimar.

I tested Shalimar (edp and parfum) recently and it brought back no memories. It was not even the same scent. I don't know what happened.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Woodhue and Bluegrass. And yes, I do love them.
    They have been changed, though, and don't smell the same, or I would buy them.

My Mom who is now 80, wore Chanel no. 5 and Chantilly. Chantilly is her favorite and I recently bought her a bottle.

I liked sniffing them on her dresser when I was a little girl, but have little interest in wearing them.

My Grandma had either Ambush or Tabu, one or the other, maybe both, and I remember being surprised at how lovely I thought they were. I could see myself exploring those scents more readily.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

My mom wore and wears Chanel No 22, with the odd burst of Arpege...yels, I like both of these scents. I also recall little glass vials, the ones you break, of sundry other fragances. but those two were her staples. 22 in a large bottle and Arpege in the parfum form.

She didn't usually wear any. When she got L'Air du Temps for Christmas, she wore it while it lasted (which was several years). I can't stand L'AdT, it makes me sneeze violently.

When I asked her if she had a favourite scent, she said Chanel no 5 and I gave her a bottle of EdT for her birthday in 1986. She still has that bottle. I like No 5, and had a parfum which I wore as my special occasion scent in my late teens and early twenties, but time hasn't been ripe for reintroducing it to my life. Maybe some day...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

As a child, I remember my mom wearing Jontue. She suffers from asthma and doesn't wear perfume much at all anymore, as her asthma has gotten worse over the years. But Jontue was apparently one of the few that wouldn't impair her breathing. It was always okay-smelling to me, nothing more.

That's a good question* My mom & I have different taste in perfumes. She likes flowery, fruity, sweeter scents than I. I give her alot of the fragrances, that I bought for myself, but couldn't adapt to, and she ended up liking them. Like: Wild Fig, by Henri Bendel, Perry Ellis Woman, Mystere, by Rochas, Safari, by Lauren, Todd Oldham, etc. She liked Knowing by Lauder, which to me, is not so good, so she promised she wouldn't wear that one around me. Most of the women in my family, like different kind of scents than me, but being that tastes in fragrance is subjective, I really don't care, whatever makes you happy.

My mother alternates between Bulgari pour Femme, 24 Faubourg, and 1000 de Patou. She's worn all of these for years now. She usually buys a new "summer" fragrance, and I usually give her a gift of something new or trendy for Christmas. But she always goes back to her favorites.

In years past, I recall her wearing Bal a Versailles, Shalimar, Calandre, Y, Norell, Chloe. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Now that she's getting on in years, her sense of smell is not as acute. She tends to overspray. She's always been the glamorous sillagey type, though.

I loved Y and Calandre on her, also Chloe. Of what she wears now, I think the Bulgari is nicest.
    Last edited by sherrie11; 3rd February 2007 at 05:48 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thanks for the insightful and personal replys/posts.

Several of my mother's friends, as I mentioned in another thread, wore Tabac Blond on occasion and I just realized what that scent was very recently. Mom's Arpege also..It was nice enough on her but she had a tendency to over-apply so it was a bit powerful initially.

Thumbs up Re: Did you like your mom's favorite scent?

My mom has always had great taste in perfume IMO. As I've gotten older, I gift her of her old favorites and new ones I like.

As a child, she wore Paco Rabanne Calandre, Chanel No. 5, Ivoire de Balmain, L'Heure Bleue, Ma Griffe, and Aromatics Elixir. Also this one fragrance that absolutely haunts me, Agua Profunda by Parfums Parera (a Spanish perfume house). I have sought Agua Profunda nearly my entire adult life (with no luck) so to say it brings back memories would be an understatement. It is quite literally an obsession! Now that I'm learning more about perfumes, I see that my mom was quite a chypre fan. I do not know if she tended towards chypres "on purpose," but these complex frags do suit her well. She's always been one to wear frags that are distinctive and elegant, just like she is!

Today she still wears Aromatics Elixir. In the last ten or so years she's added Coco Chanel for No. 5, Shalimar and Mahora for L'Heure Bleue, and some of the frags I've bought her that she likes a lot include Shiseido Energizing Fragrance and Stella by Stella MacCartney. I also get her a bottle of Aromatics Elixir when I know she's running low.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

My mum has always loved perfume and has passed that love on to both my brother and me. She wore White Shoulders, Coty Musk, and in her late twenties/early thirties (before I was even thought of) she claims she wore Chanel 21, which I'm not sure existed. I suspect that it was No. 22. I wasn't crazy about White Shoulders, but she also wore Coty's Muguet des Bois, which I love/d. She would sometimes put a little on me, and I remember walking in the woods near our house with her and finding a plant and she explained that it was a lily of the valley. When we got home we applied some perfume and compared it with the flower.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

She wore L'air du temps and Shalimar when I was little and I love those. I do wear Shalimar. In my teens she wore Lauren- She would spray it on upstairs and I would start coughing downstairs -I would never wear it.

My mum wore Charlie. I haven't smelled it for years...
    After a while she stopped wearing perfume, except dor CK one now and then.
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin

My mother used to wear Givenchy III a lot, mostly because it was my father's favourite and he always bought her a bottle of it when he went overseas. But she also wore Opium and I think that was her personal favourite! I used to love the Opium as a child and didn't really appreciate the Givenchy III... but the older I got the more I grew to love it and appreciate it, especially when I noticed how different it was from the perfumes my friend's mothers were wearing.

My mom wears Chanel No. 5 and SJP Lovely, and I think they're both very nice scents. However, my clearest scent-related memory of my mother is that she grew lilacs in our side garden, and in the spring, she would always go outside and stand there, sniffing them. She wasn't always happy when we were growing up - she had to raise us pretty much on her own - but the lilacs always seemed to make her feel so peaceful. Once, I remember, she bent down a branch so that I could sniff it, and said, "here, this is the prettiest smell in the world," in this very definite tone of voice, as if she wanted me to remember it. When I smelled En Passant, it reminded me very much of her, and it was an intense rush of emotion - I just stood there, in the middle of a crowded shop, with my eyes closed, remembering.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

My mother wears Estee Lauder Youth Dew mostly and I think she over does it. It's a great classic and I love Orientals, but this one is a little too spicy for me. I do like it on others, but I have so many more that I love more so I would not wear it.

My mum don´t wear frags at all, she has never done. But her mother did, and I remeber I found grandma´s perfumes being sooo wonderful when I was a girl. I don´t remeber what frags she had, but I do recognize Shalimar very much, and I guess it was one of her perfumes. I myself just love Shalimar, and I really enjoy wearing it!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

My mum is 52. Diorissimo was my mum's signiture scent, then she used a bit of Poison, Chanel No.5 and Joy in the 80s.
    She doesn't wear much scents in the recent years, she liked my Hermes 24 Faubourg, and I gave her a bottle.
    I'd wear anything my mum wears, but I think I still linger the Diorissimo on her which I am trying to persuade her to wear more often.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    I can recall one particularly distinct perfume and its aroma when my mother would apply it before going out. I didn't know or care to find out what it was then..but I am almost positive now it was Lanvin's Arpege from sniffing an older, partially full bottle recently and getting a flood of memories from the event.

What does/did your mom wear as her most favorite scent? Did you like it or hate it or just not give it a second thought?
    Arpege and Joy are what I remember. And something lilac-y and a muguet of some sort. Love/d them all - always wanted to smell as gorgeous and be as soignee. A gracious and tender lady, now long gone.

Thanks for the memories!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My dear mama has a really heavy hand when it comes to fragrance, and I hated the perfumes that she chose. I remember Navy, Beautiful, and White Linen on her vanity table. She was a fan of misting clouds of perfume over herself after she had gotten ready.

For that reason, I limit myself to one or two sprays underneath my clothes. I only want people who are very close to me to be able to smell my fragrance. I also go for the really rich orientals, instead of the aldehyde florals that she always wore.

I love my mom, and she's got great taste... but our tastes differ markedly. After all, it would be a boring world if we all wore the same thing.

My mom wore Chanel Number 5, as did my grandmother. I will never be able to smell this perfume without thinking of old ladies.

I can't even say if I like or dislike the scent.. It's just OLD.

Thumbs down Re: Did you like your mom's favorite scent?

no way! in the 80s she wore liz claibourne and lutece, both of which i hated. now she wears vanilla fields which, although less offensive than the aforementioned scents, is not my cup of tea. what's more, she has the audacity to suggest that my fragrances make me smell like a "french whore". and not just one or two, but all of them. i think the only traits i inherited from her are brutal honesty and stubborness.
    nilla krug

my mother went thru a phase of wearing private collection before switching to red door then to boucheron. she still wears boucheron and switches off with 'tresor and jean paul gaultier classique. she's tried other scents like poeme and miracle but just gave the bottles to me. boucheron and jpg or anything along those lines reminds me of my mom and how comfy i used to feel as a child laying down to watch tv in her room while she read in bed.

my maternal grandmother wore white shoulders and my last pleasant memory of her was helping her get ready for a party at the nursing home. i sprayed her with white shoulders and applied her horrible coral lipstick for her since her hands didn't have very much control any more. i will always think of that day whenever i get a whiff of white shoulders. i love how vivid memories seem when you smell something familiar; they come flooding back.

my paternal grandmother (and her aunt) wore youth dew. a spritz or two never sufficed; they bathed in the stuff. now keep in mind this was only for special occasions, but sheesh it was hard riding in the same car with her while she was wearing the stuff.
    http://www.myspace.com/mermaidsushi
    http://www.myspace.com/longdistancelovers

my all-time faves include anna sui, vera wang princess, nanette lepore, miracle, amor amor, juicy couture, ralph rocks & betsey johnson

decants i'm looking for:
    a sample vial/decant of viva la juicy by juicy couture
    anna sui scents (other than the original)

Well, my mom is long gone, but I think I inherited a passion for perfume from her. Although in general she didn't spend much money on herself, she liked Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noel, Intimate, and Jungle Gardenia. Unlike me she disliked rose,
    white florals and most other soliflores. I believe she also wore Straw Hat in the summer. She used to talk about the original Coty Chrypre.

My mother has never been a perfume fan as such. I do remember her wearing Youth Dew, on special occasions years ago, but that was a present from my dad. The only perfume I know that she wears nowadays is Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. Her favourite scent has always been lily of the valley so any soaps, body lotions etc. with this scent make her happy. I wouldn't wear Youth Dew but I do like Green Tea. My grandmother used to wear a variety of perfumes but the one scent I'd love to rediscover of hers wasn't from perfume but a lipstick. I don't know the brand but it was in a shiny gold coloured case and I was fascinated with this fancy thing as a child. I have a vague memory of its' scent and I am so tempted to try a sample of FM Lipstick Rose just to see if it's anything like my lipstick memory.

Basenotes Plus

My mother who is 47 always used to wear Safari by Ralph Lauren, it was her going out perfume. I remember as a young boy that i used to sit and watch her get ready to go out. She is so beautiful and everything she did at the time fascinated me. She used to show me her make up (no wonder i'm gay lol, all her fault :P), and when she kissed us all goodbye we could smell her perfume, it upsets me it's been discontinued! She also wore Beautiful but not as much. I think she wears MyQueen or Fracas now.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

My mom had fabulous taste in perfume, IMO... Her favorites were Ma Griffe, Bal a Versailles, Zadig and most recently Sung. I likely got my fragrance jones from her. I got a whiff of YSL Opium when I was 15 and it became my signature scent for over 20 years -- and just a few years ago my Mom confessed to me that when she missed me, she would go to the closest department store, spray Opium into the air, and walk into the fragrance cloud.

I have just recently gotten a bottle of BaV, but somehow can't yet bring myself to wear some of her others, particularly Sung, which was her scent of choice at the time of her death in 2004.

I inherited my Mom's scarf collection, and more than a year after she died, I finally got up the nerve to start going through them. Within minutes, the entire room smelled like my mother, and I was laughing and crying and wrapping myself in scarves like a madwoman.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

my mum loves Lou Lou - it's her favourite scent...though we can't afford to get her a bottle at the moment, we cherish a little miniature at that my aunt gave her! I love the smell of Lou Lou on her - but on me, it's not so good!
    At the moment, she wears Love in Paris by Nina Ricci (which I gave her for her 50th birthday in December) and I Love Love by Moschino - the only fragrance we have in common at the moment! Though, I think she's showing interest in a few of my fragrance - both full bottles & samples...which I think is a good thing.
    I don't remember what her mother wore, fragrance-wise...it's been a while since she passed away...my mum may know, but I have no idea, unfortunately.

Hey, I would like to ask you sth...
    I've read something here, and the most of you are talking about Chanell 5, great scent, but... I was wandering if someone knows....

For some time I was looking for my mum's favorite scent - Soir de Paris by Bourjois.. the thing is that I cannot find it anywhere. And also, I've heard or read somewhere that they changed the scent in 1991. I don't know now if I can
    find an old version of Soir, from 1928....if it exists somewhere.... It turns out that they changed the scent, but left the blue bottle the same.... I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva
    I inherited my Mom's scarf collection, and more than a year after she died, I finally got up the nerve to start going through them. Within minutes, the entire room smelled like my mother, and I was laughing and crying and wrapping myself in scarves like a madwoman.
    That is such a gorgeous memory you shared.

As for my Mom..she wore Lady Stetson if memory serves. Heck. No.

OK, to be honest, it will always have this place in my heart. It's the strangely sweet nostalgia of being poor, Mom with her Bon Jovi hair and Pay'nSave perfume, and my still being young enough to want nothing more than her company.

I mainly remember my mum (who is still alive but has recently suffered a stroke) wearing Madame Rochas. I wouldn't choose it personally but as it reminds me of her I have a positive reaction to it.

However, one of the first perfumes I chose, and my first "adult" scent was Mitsouko, and when I told my mum this I was surprised to find out it was the perfume she wore when she was younger.

So many moving childhood memories of our perfumed mothers. Isn't it amazing how scent can transport you back in time. I remember my mother's sillage, and how it seemed that she was still in the room even after she had already left - her perfume was an extension of her physical presence, her energy. I recently tried one of her old favorites, Calandre, but it didn't smell nice on me.

my mom wore obsession for years, then roma. now she wears dolce & gabbana. i can't wear obsession, it's just too much "MOM." i can, however, wear roma. and the other day i tested cashmere mist, and i thought, "whoa this smells like something mom would wear." and i couldn't wear it! funny.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

as I mentioned, Soir de Paris and, yes, Madame Rochas....
    Seams like every woman liked it at that time....

I have to find one of those, and surprise her for her birthday.... It would be
    a great present, wouldn't it? hehe

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I just remembered another 'scent' that I recall my mother had in an aura around her often. It came from a mouth freshening product called "Sen-Sen" that she used regularly. Packaged in little paper packets similar to those that sugar and sugar substitutes come in today it consisted of little 2-3mm pieces of a sweetened licorice-like substance one could place in the mouth to dissolve there and 'freshen' the breath of the user.

This product was powerful enough to provide a sillage-like effect! I remember trying it several times a child. Yuk!

And, it is still available on eBay I see and apparently is the same formula used in the 1800's..

Early in my life, no. Later in life, definitely...probably because I helped steer her toward better stuff.

She always liked wearing something, whether it was from Avon or Coty or whatever. The one she wore for a while that she really liked was Vanderbilt.

I don't have good memories of Vanderbilt. She had a habit of applying it just before she made my school lunches. At lunchtime, I'd take my sandwich out of the bag, and it would reek so bad of Vanderbilt, I couldn't eat it.

She wasn't much for anything overly feminine. She didn't wear a lot of florals and instead liked woody scents. One she was particularly fond of was Knowing.

She developed COPD about 14 years ago, and as her lungs got weaker, she couldn't wear a lot of her favorites, so I helped her find things she could wear. She was particularly fond of Cashmere Mist which I liked on her. Baby Touch was what she wore up until the day she died, and I can smell it without having to open a bottle.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by libertine
    My mother who is 47 always used to wear Safari by Ralph Lauren, it was her going out perfume. I remember as a young boy that i used to sit and watch her get ready to go out. She is so beautiful and everything she did at the time fascinated me. She used to show me her make up (no wonder i'm gay lol, all her fault :P), and when she kissed us all goodbye we could smell her perfume, it upsets me it's been discontinued! She also wore Beautiful but not as much. I think she wears MyQueen or Fracas now.

Libertine - Yours was very much my own experience of my mother's wearing of perfume throughout my childhood. Except in my version the perfume is Estee Lauder Youth Dew. My mother had being introduced to it by her 'mother' and 'father' (mutually adoptive) who both wore it as a signature scent. I am the third generation to wear it and have found it more and more pleasing as I have established my own character. It will not be a true signature scent for me as it is too 'clean' in character. It has too much of the 'pristine 50's housewife' and 'starched linen' vibe about it. I prefer a little more 'pudeur', something dirtier and wilder and more animalic...

Estee Lauder Youth Dew does have a permanent and regular spot in my extensive collection and is high ranking in my list of 100+ Holy Grail / Signature perfumes.

My mother's signature scent now is Thierry Mugler's Angel, which she discovered after wearing Calvin Klein Obsession for a while (what is it with Virgo women and powerhouse perfumes?)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

My grandmother exclusively wore Estee Lauder Youth Dew. I have alot of positive childhood memories associated with that fragrance, and for a while I had a bottle of it that I used to spray to feel closer to her, and to remember her.

My mother wore Shalimar (which I love), and these days she opts for the newer stuff like Burberry Brit and D&G Light Blue.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

The first fragrances that I can remember my mom wearing was Must de Cartier.Later she switched into Eden for a while, and then JPG Classique,Coco Mademoiselle and lately J'adore.I like Must de Cartier,but can't stand Eden.Not sure why.The others except from Coco Mademoiselle she has smelled on me and liked.So I enjoy them,but a bit tired of J'adore.Coco Mademoiselle I lke,but it's not for me.I guess I enjoy orientals more than she does,and she seems to enjoy lighter frags.

My mom's mom (now deceased) didn't have much money when my mom was growing up. But on nights out, she wore Evening in Paris... this made her sad, as it meant that her mom was going out for the night.

As for the modern days, my mom and I have had a weirdly perfumed relation over the years.

Back in 1995, my mom got the (then-new) Burberry London (now known as Burberry Classic) for women. It was on her way to becoming her all-time favorite, but I hated the juice so much that my Mom had to send it to the trash. I liked Shalimar, Liz Taylor's Passion, and even (gasp!) White Diamonds on her, though.

Then, in 2000, she discovered Dior's Hypnotic Poison, a scent we both actually agreed on. She also got Gucci Rush at the same time, which she liked for a while.

After I joined Basenotes, I detected a trend that she liked vanillic orientals. So I got her some Angel... it smelled lousy on her at first, but she recently rediscovered the stuff and now it smells fabulous on her. More recently, I introduced mom to her first niche scent, Bond No. 9's Chinatown, and introduced her to Shalimar in pure parfum...wham! Instant loves. And her latest love is Prada.

I like buying her a new perfume every Valentine's Day... but I feel like she has so much that I don't want to take the risk this year. As for that Burberry scent I hated back in 1995? Well... I actually like the smell of Burberry classic now.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 7th February 2007 at 04:20 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Yes! Her fave is Anne Pliska! I didn't realize till recently that my mother and I share a similar taste in fragrances. When I found out that AP has a patch note I almost fainted! I don't see her wearing patch but there it is! :>

Like many of you, my mom has worn Chanel No. 5 for years. She was /is a big Marliyn Monroe fan and that likely influenced her a bit. She'll wear other fragrances but she always has some No. 5. on hand. As for me, I think it's OK. I prefer Coco as my favorite Chanel for women.

Default L'Heure Bleue

On my mother, L'Heure Bleue smells lovely, with a great deal of depth and transparency at the same time. To me it's always somehow been "her" fragrance, so it never occurred to me to try it.

A few months ago I tried a quick spray of it, however, and it just smelled musty and powdery, sort of like old, old perfume at the bottom of a bottle. Not special, or distinctive - or even recognisable AS L'Heure Bleue - at all.

Either they've reformulated the stuff and done a butcher job on it, or it's my chemistry. Although I wouldn't rule out the former, I suspect the latter, as our complexions (she's quite dark, with oily skin, I'm quite fair and reddish-haired, and have dry skin) are extremely different.

I'm actually quite glad this fragrance is still "hers"

I like her scents, yes, but I don't wear any of them. My mother & sister both wear Angel. It's my sister's signature scent. My mom also wears a lot of Organza, Pleasures, Chanel No. 22, Anais Anais, Shalimar, Emeraude, Avon Little Black Dress, Noa, and Wonderful Indulgence.

When I was young I remember her having Inouï, Zen, Norell, My Sin, Arpège, Guy Laroche Fidji, and Emeraude.

For her, fragrance is just "there" though. She just wears what she runs into and claims not to be effected by scents.
    Last edited by Tovah; 18th February 2007 at 02:27 AM.

I can relate to ComDivas' story; my mother died when I was 35; only 55 years old.
    My mother was a very elegant; pretty woman; she used to work as a mannequinn when she was young; her signature scent was chanel no 5; the parfum.

Other scents she adored was Madame Rochas, Coco; Miss Dior and Paris.
    But no 5 was her HG.

I loved them all, and used to borrow them from her when going out.

Yes i did! , well, some of them i liked.

here are some more interesting threads on family, you can find on the first one my answer too!

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=family

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=family

OK, I know I'm really going to be dating myself here, but my Mother and Grandmother both wore Evening In Paris. I always remember kind of liking it after they had it on for a while, but hating it when it was first sprayed! It was pretty powerful stuff, at least it seemed that way when I was little. Hehehe...

My mother does not have the hording/addictive mentality that I am prone to so her collection is and never has been too substantial (actually it's funny, before i even got into perfume myself i would always buy her perfume for her birthdays and such) but she is an aesthete and she is one of the few people i find i can discuss perfume (as well as things like art) with (well besides you all of course )

her signature scent was shalimar for years but she branched out into chanel and also really really liked elizabeth arden scents, which i know around here are probably not so highly looked upon but i always liked them

I wanted to start a "what perfume did your mother wear" thread but I found this one.
    My mother wore a perfume called Tosca by the same company that makes 4711. People used to buy her 4711 and she would complain to me privately that it is not the same thing at all. Tosca is a perfume and 4711 is a cologne also I remember no similarities between the two scents, she gave me all the unwanted bottles of 4711. I couldn't find Tosca, or at least not the one she had, in the base notes directory and I was wondering would anybody have a bottle to sell or be able to tell me what notes it has. I would love to smell it. My Mom passed away 12 years ago.

Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

I think that might be it, although the bottle hers was in was more oblong. This is probably an older version. Thanks, I think I'll place a bid. sssh! But wouldn't it be bad to open it and smell it?

I just adore the bottle and box ... wouldn't it be wonderful if it was her scent and the juice was still ok??
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

She wore a lot of No.5, Joy and Ombre Rose L'Original, all in parfum concentration. She wore Eau d'Hadrien in the Texas heat. She always smelled damn good and her closets full of clothes were saturated with those smells years after she died.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th February 2008 at 02:04 AM.

Well, she wore Madame Rochas when I was a kid. I wouldn't wear it myself but it reminds me of her.
    But, funnily enough, one of the first perfumes I fell in love with was Mitsouko, and after buying some my mum told me that was what she wore when she was younger.

My mom is a Leo who used to dye her hair fire engine red and her most used scent was Cinnabar. I'd say it suited her.

When I was growing up - Mom wore Chanel No. 5 EDT and Chanel No.22 Parfum. These were her "work scents" - when she'd dress up in suits and heels for her high-powered real estate management job.

When she joined the food industry - she quit wearing perfume since she needed her nose for other things (like chocolate!). I now have both bottles. Don't wear them - only because it feels like I'm pretending. But they suited her perfectly for that time in her life.

My Mum is 75 years old and always used to wear Chanel No.5 until they changed the formulation, now she won't wear it (not what you want to hear when you've just handed her a bottle as a Christmas present). (And what is it with mothers and untimely tactless remarks?) On me it smells like cough mixture, which is a huge shame because I'd like to be that classy. I wear Iris Poudre which has been likened to No.5.

Since Mum's sworn off it she's switched to Anais Anais, which seems a bit 'young girl' to me because a lot of my friends used to wear it when I was in my late teens and early twenties. It's not a bad perfume but not one I'd wear.

I've asked a few times if she can remember my Nan wearing a perfume that was heavy in oakmoss because I have such incredibly strong associations with 'old lady' when I smell certain fragrances that are heavy in that ingredient. According to Mum, Nan wore a dab of Yardley's Lavender now and then but she can't remember anything else. I swear my scent memories of her are of something like Mitsouko, and the era is right too, as my Grandmother was a flapper (Black Bottom champion doncha know!) and she worked as a maid for a short while, so might have been exposed to haute perfumes. She never had money though so she would have worn a much cheaper alternative. ( She brought up 4 kids in South Wales in the 1930s during the depression and then WW2 and barely had enough cash to put shoes on their feet, let alone buy perfume.)

There's a little puzzle for anyone who's interested! What would Nana have worn? Something oakmossy and cheap and available in Britain in the 50s, 60s & 70s?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

My mother was wearing YSL Paris since it was launched in 1983. Before that - Lily of the Valley. Always feminine scents and she hated all kinds of musky, ambre or woody. Yes, I did like her scents - But will not wear them.