• Opône

2 3.92%
  • Paestum Rose

1 1.96%
  • Rose D'Homme

3 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default A battle between Roses

A funny poll!! Please vote for your clear favourite...

Default Re: A battle between Roses

Czech & Speake #88 wins the 'War of the Roses' for me.

I have only worn No.88 and Voleur de roses.

No.88 wins by a landslide.
    -

Too bad LV Musk is not one of the choices or else I would vote for that one.

I'm not a big fan of rose scents in general, but Voleur de Roses is my favorite from the list. The rose is rounded out with sweet plum and damp patchouli so the note is never overpowering. It's a rather simple scent but pleasing nonetheless.
    Last edited by teflondog; 3rd February 2007 at 08:34 PM.

No.88
    Ôponé
    Voleur de Roses
    Hammam Bouquet

Love 'em all

Others I like include

Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme
    Sa Majeste La Rose (Serge Lutens)
    - Severely underrated and one of the best from the house.
    Black Aoud (Montale)

Rose Absolue EDP (Annick Goutal)
    L'Eau (Diptyque)

Rose Poivree
    is excellent but lacks substance IMO.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th February 2007 at 11:54 AM.

Neither of my 'Roses' are on the list. Rose 31 - Le Labo, and Black Aoud - Montale. Of the the list offered though I like stinky roses....Rose Poivree - TDC.

Posted a review of the Czech & Speake, but apparently the censors need to approve it first. Here, i'll paste a copy for any interested. This type of fragrance is a new genre for me - no experience with others in the poll yet.

The 88 arrived from London accompanied by customs slips which certified that it was not intended for chemical warfare. I should have ordered from the Cambridge Chemists, but actually enjoy paying foreign exchange fees. Kidding.

There's no hiding from this one. It opens with a blast which must be akin to the Flugabwehr-Kanone, or as it is better known, the FlaK88. In retrospect, i should not have been surprised. After all, they do have the same caliber - and likely, comparable potential to destroy armor. For a moment, i lost the power of speech and completely forgot how to speak English. The scent is so simple, it's tremendously complicated. Still trying to pour the shotglass of impressions that the 88 offers into my thimble of a brain. (haha)

This is what Marquis de Sade must have worn. It's pure evil. No, wait. This is what Ghandi must have worn. It's pure good. It's a paradox, and unlike some fragrances with which you co-operate, the 88 is a tool you use. For pure evil, pure good.

Handle with caution. (no haha)
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

Sorry, can't vote in the poll as Le Labo Rose 31 is my favorite. Why doesn't this line and this fragrance get any attention here?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances
    Sorry, can't vote in the poll as Le Labo Rose 31 is my favorite. Why doesn't this line and this fragrance get any attention here?

Joe
    Coincidentally I received a sample of this along with my samples set a few days ago. I will give it a try.
    -

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The Different Company does an awesome job on its scents, and Rose Poivrée is no exception! Voleur de Rose puts the roses with patchouli; very nice! Opôné juxtaposes rose with saffron; a stroke of genius! But Rose Poivrée makes the best choice to my nose; the black pepper is the perfect counterpoint to the green rose note.

Just my opinion, of course... BTW, of the three I just mentioned, Rose Poivrée is the only one I *don't* own...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Agreed. Would've voted for Le Labo ROSE 31 if it were in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    The Different Company does an awesome job on its scents, and Rose Poivrée is no exception! Voleur de Rose puts the roses with patchouli; very nice! Opôné juxtaposes rose with saffron; a stroke of genius! But Rose Poivrée makes the best choice to my nose; the black pepper is the perfect counterpoint to the green rose note.

Just my opinion, of course... BTW, of the three I just mentioned, Rose Poivrée is the only one I *don't* own...

Jaime. Thank you ... bud.

That's good information. I'm a traditional Chypre/Fougere. This is a bit new to me and i'm still trying to wrap my brain 'round it.

Saffron? I'm a fan of paella and sangria, but as a scent? I just don't know. I want to smell like ... Tulips, a Stable, Cold Steel, Gunpowder (and i don't mean the stuff used for modern propellant which is mostly like chalk).

My thanks; new things to explore and learn ... a man can grow.

Regards,
    C.
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

Well, sorry guys, I forget put into the list Malle's Une Rose and Le Labo Rose 31, and now I can't modify that.

I wore Le Labo Rose 31 for the whole day today (sotd and sote) and sorry guys, this is nowhere near the quality of no. 88 or even Voleur De Roses. I get a dump of cumin with hints of citrus and a muted rose note.

Heres the notes list: Grasse rose, cumin, pepper, clove, nutmeg, olibanum, cedar, amber, gaïac wood, oudh wood, cistus, vetiver and animalic notes

As a regular scent, its ok, but as a rose scent its pretty poor.

Sorry, its a no go on this one.
    --------------------------------------
    I would like to nominate Montale Aoud Damascus for its excellent persistent yet never overpowering showcase of a fantastic rose note, with gurgum and aoud providing richness to the composition.
    Last edited by zztopp; 4th February 2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -

zztop..I agree that there is not much Rose in Rose 31, but it is still a nice scent, and yes alot of cumin. but not BO cumin.

However, VDR is not a Rose scent to my nose either. Tons of Patchouli with a little plum and rose at the top. Very boring to me.

Rose 31 is wearable and bright..even to work
    VDR is gothic and gives me a sad feeling...not very versatile IMHO.

barry

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    The Different Company does an awesome job on its scents, and Rose Poivrée is no exception! Voleur de Rose puts the roses with patchouli; very nice!.
    I agree with you on this one, although VdR got my vote by a TINY margin. I love Rose Poivree, personally, but it has gotten some negative reactions from those around me (which hasn't happened with VdR).
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Sa Majeste la Rose

a true rose scent that is very wearable by either gender, imo. complex enough to be interesting and straightforward enough to be decidedly Rose.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

#88 for me. As much as I appreciate VdR, I never get much rose in it - mostly patchouli and wood with just a touch of rose.