Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: "Liz Clairborne Curve Kicks"

Gents,
    I think we're all okay with defense and consideration of the original thread poster now. In his second post to the thread I thought he handled the difficulty pretty well, and further, this being the Internet, I'd wager it wasn't the worst thing the original poster or any of us have ever seen on our voyages on the info-uber-highway.

Either way, the gent has Kicks to make him content doesn't he?

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone, we can indeed take care of new and old members here.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc

I think that THIS is why these kinds of posts are met, in general, with less than hospitality. In theory, yes, it would be nice to be equally welcoming to all, but I'm sure most see enthusiast forums as an oasis from society at large.

These kind of posts should not be met with inhospitality. If you cannot be welcoming to a person whose fragrance tastes are not as sophisticated as your own than it is best to say nothing. (Again I don't mean you personally rach2jlc, just using your words to make a point.)

Otherwise, what's the point? I can talk about Curve or Kicks or Cool Water with any of my coworkers... but try to get them into Vetiver Extraordinaire and they'll just say, "Why do you want to smell like grass and pizza dough?"

The point is, that people have just as much right to discuss their enjoyment of Curve, Cool Water, English Leather without being put down by others.

Quote Originally Posted by russnug
    The point is, that people have just as much right to discuss their enjoyment of Curve, Cool Water, English Leather without being put down by others.
    Damn straight. Exactly true.

I'll have to pull out my bottle of English Leather though.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Now, 3 threads dedicated to the love of Curve Kicks does seem excessive, but I personally cant see Liz Claiborne Inc worrying about the opinions of this website. They spend millions on advertising, and this is definitely not their target audience. If they were a new, small perfumer trying to make a name for themselves as a boutique, niche company I can see establishing a mule on this site, but Liz Claiborne? Check out their site, and their financial reports if you need further convincing.
    http://www.lizclaiborneinc.com/company/overview.htm

-Slim (Tauer mule)

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    My g/f loves it over the "top" colognes (aqua di gio... IMHO it's a but weak and flowery/powdery)...although Issey Miyake she liked as well.
    I hate that weak smell of those fancy colognes..but hate the OLD MAN smell of the more longer lasting ones... Cologne usually sticks on me for less than 1 hour...b./c i get used to it or it fades.. but Curve Kicks stays on me for more than 2 hours STRONG (one spray only) then becomes subtle (can smell it when someone is up close or giving you a hug)..which is also very nice...

ALSO...

Put it this way.. it was pretty cheap..50 bucks for 4.2 ounces. But lets say... aqua di gio is like 60 for 3.5 or w/e..but its lasting power is weak..

Cologone is like dinning... the fancy French food is expensive, but comes in small portions (this represents popular colognes like Aqua di Gio, Armani code, armani mania, chanel). Might as well eat out at a nice restaurants and get much more for your money for still fantastic food (represents Curve Kicks).
    I'm really going to try and be nice. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, so congrats on your new membership, and welcome to Basenotes. This really isn't a bad review for anyone who hasn't read any of the threads we have (Much better than "i lke aqua digeo becase it get me laid wit hawt womn", or "I LOVE bRIT BECAUSE ITS GETING ME INTO A WOMANS BED!"), but I would suggest reading up before telling us what a "fancy cologne" is.

Aqua di Gio is not a "fancy cologne" Never ever say that again on this forum. You will keep getting reactions like the one above. Curve kicks is not a cheap cologne at $50. I wouldn't pay $50 for any of the Curve line. Kicks isn't on www.scentiments.com yet, but you can get others from the line for $15. Shop around and save yo' money foo!

Chanel is slightly expensive for a designer fragrance, but it really isn't top shelf stuff. I myself have paid $180 for a 3.4oz bottle, and others have paid more. I'm not bragging, I'm telling you how prices range. I've also paid $85 for 1.7oz (I've bought two, both L'Artisan and others have the whole line some of them the 3.4oz bottles), and I'm thinking about getting a $115 1.7 bottle of Rose 31. Aqua di Gio is not a "fancy cologne". Creed retails for $195-$245 or more for a 2oz to a 4oz.

Two hours is actually bad longevity for a cologne. The Rose 31 sample I have on right now is still wafting away at 2 hours, and hasn't died down much at all. Brit by Burberry will blow down anyone within 5 feet after four hours. I know you can still smell it after 2 hours, but as you said, it's just the musk left over.

I really hope you don't run away from us because you think we're mean people. We're just snooty, and bringing Curve Kicks in as your "fancy cologne" killer isn't going to get many nice responses. We have "fancy colognes", and we also have something that cost twice as much as "fancy colognes", and some of us have 3x? 4x? 5x? the cost of "fancy colognes". If you are an industry plant, sorry you have such a terrible job, I wish you the best of luck in finding a better one, because you really won't increase sales of Curves Kicks by writing here (The sales rep said it was for young men, most people here are past that age. (Not me though!)) Again, welcome to Basenotes.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I must be missing something here. Nobody put him down because he likes Kicks. I guessed that he was an operation being put under way in order to further publicize the cologne. That's a hasty generalization(see logical fallacy, though this one is fun to play with). Nobody said "you suck because you like Curve, lols at you."

...we're still arguing about this????

As Genvy said, I didn't see much abuse here. In the past few months, I've seen a lot worse elsewhere and it didn't generate this kind of coverage. I think that the frigid, single digit (or negative double-digit) temperatures are just making us want to pick fights with each other.

So, can we move on? I'll sum up this thread in the hopes that we can:

1) Curve Kicks is probably worth a try, or at least would probably surprise us if we smelled it, and is seemingly better than the regular LC stuff.
    2) Just because somebody likes Curve Kicks, doesn't mean they need to be put in front of a wall and shot. Perhaps relegated to their own corner at the Basenotes Meet-n-greet, but not shot (yes, I'm kidding).
    3) The original poster's intentions may or may not be genuine.
    4) Internet forums devoted to particular hobbies that are outside the mainstream (handbags, shoes, suits, fragrances, etc.) tend towards the extremes of interest and exclusivity. Therefore, new members posting about non-exclusive items are sometimes met with suspicion as plants or hostility. Whether this practice is right or not is irrelevant... it still happens.
    5) AdG still sucks.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th February 2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Ah how times have changed. It only seems like yesterday that Curve ruled the roost here...

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/2000/mday.html
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    Ah how times have changed. It only seems like yesterday that Curve ruled the roost here...

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/2000/mday.html
    Ah, the late twentieth century... style's answer to the Dark Ages. Birth of the untucked, stripey shirt worn with jeans, the square-toed Kenneth Cole Frankenstein shoe, the slogan t-shirt ("This is your girlfriend's shirt!", it says jauntily)... I'll stop there, since I just ate breakfast. I believe, over on your side of the pond, Grant, that this was also around the same time the "chav" entered popular culture (Burberry nova plaid, anyone?)
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th February 2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    I must be missing something here. Nobody put him down because he likes Kicks. I guessed that he was an operation being put under way in order to further publicize the cologne. That's a hasty generalization(see logical fallacy, though this one is fun to play with). Nobody said "you suck because you like Curve, lols at you."
    I don't know if this is directed at me... I know nobody was putting him down, I was just welcoming him to Basenotes, and giving him some tips about AdG and price range.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Just got to try it yesterday. Sweet, fruity, boring, & generic. The synthetic qualities become more apparent during the drydown. IMO there is nothing original or interesting about this fragrance and it isn't of the best quality, either. Pass.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Liz Clairbourne Curve Kicks ass !!