Code of Conduct

Default "Liz Clairborne Curve Kicks"

I picked this up at a department store this evening, blind, because there are no reviews for it on this website yet...it's not even listed. I believe because it's just a few weeks old.
    The lady told me to try it, she said it's nice for a young man (im 19) I was skeptical at first b/c she offered me some pretty nasty smelling ones beforehand.
    I sprayed it on, and I LOVED IT. It was nice and aquatic at first, then dry down to a musky clean smell. My g/f loves it over the "top" colognes (aqua di gio... IMHO it's a but weak and flowery/powdery)...although Issey Miyake she liked as well.

This cologne sticks on me STRONG. Just what I love. I hate that weak smell of those fancy colognes..but hate the OLD MAN smell of the more longer lasting ones... Cologne usually sticks on me for less than 1 hour...b./c i get used to it or it fades.. but Curve Kicks stays on me for more than 2 hours STRONG (one spray only) then becomes subtle (can smell it when someone is up close or giving you a hug)..which is also very nice...

ALSO...

I used 5 sample cards to spray other designer fragrences on...one spray each.. I stuck them in my pocket and when i took them out, they ALL smelled like Curve Kicks...amazing..this cologne just dominates other colognes (i had chanel, DKNY, issey miyake and polo blue on the 4 other cards).

Put it this way.. it was pretty cheap..50 bucks for 4.2 ounces. But lets say... aqua di gio is like 60 for 3.5 or w/e..but its lasting power is weak..

Cologone is like dinning... the fancy French food is expensive, but comes in small portions (this represents popular colognes like Aqua di Gio, Armani code, armani mania, chanel). Might as well eat out at a nice restaurants and get much more for your money for still fantastic food (represents Curve Kicks).

keep in mind i dont like Curve or Curve Soul that much...just the Kicks one..it really KICKS the competition off the court... no joke.

PS I have returned over 7 fragrances b/c they were weak..didn't last..had to spray so much and still pretty weak. My G/F approves this one too...a plus!

Default Re: "Liz Clairborne Curve Kicks"

I'm gonna call you out on being a mule account created with the intention to attribute popularity to the new Curve on this forum.
    Seeing as that's what each one of your posts has consisted of thus far, including your very first post(a lengthy thread dedicated to the fragrance).
    It's a claim that presumes you have researched the forum history and found that everyone is sick of the Curve line, and the typical aquatic or fruity scents(such as Acqua di Gio, as you have mentioned), so you use an interesting tactic of familiarity approach in putting them down just as we have in order to subtly gain our trust.
    But now, I can imagine you'd find it in your best interest to prove me wrong by switching your mode. Or leaving altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    I'm gonna call you out on being a mule account created with the intention to attribute popularity to the new Curve on this forum.
    haha, good call genvy. If this is indeed your intent G Man, you are very bad at your job and should find another line of work. I believe you've been, as the kids on the internets say, "pwned!!"

^5 Genvy! : )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Wow, I was just giving my opinion because the fragrance was not in basenotes data base. I am using Aqua to compare it because thats the "#1". I never looked at this forum prior to posting. I just saw a "Create new thread" and posted it.

I don't like curve line either..none of them except Kicks... I don't get where you guys are coming from but it's a little assumptious, unwelcoming, and a little immature for being a fragrance forum.

And why would I want to gain anyone's trust? trust of what? I'm just putting up a small "review" for a cologne i am excited about owning, because I was surprised by it (since..again...it's curve line).

Well it looks like there's no need to save us, Genvy.

One member's new excitement at a new purchase isn't going to get all of Basenotes to worship at the Claiboure country anyway.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I suddenly have this strange urge to buy Curve Kicks.
    It's got this cool new technology which makes it immune to olfactory fatigue. Also, I hear that girls like it.
    Forget small girly French portions. Let's get fat!

Come on, guys...

Newcomers come on here all the time and express their love for a new fragrance (though it's usually AdG). If I find something I love, I may get the urge to go spread the love and post about it in every topic I find relating to it (though I usually don't).

Way to welcome a newcomer, guys. As if it's not hard enough for fragrance neophytes to get used for most of our tastes and often strong distain to mass-market fragrances, now they have to worry about whether or not they're welcome here, what with being called a "mule" for professing their love for "Kicks" and being forced to "prove [us] wrong by switching your mode. Or [by] leaving altogether."

But on to the fragrance- it's okay because it's a clone of Sean John Unforgivable, which is a good scent because it's a clone of Creed's Millisime Imperial.

Eh. His was verrry curious. Further, just as much as we can't give 100% faith into assumptions, especially when evidence doesn't exactly persuade otherwise, we can't be sure that he isn't as I assumed defending his authenticity. Ah, problems of knowledge. How do we know what we know? The gaining of trust thing is a psychological technique.

Thank you G Man for this informative review of Curve Kicks cologne, a high quality designer cologne available at bargain prices by the House of Liz Claiborne, which designs and markets a portfolio of branded women's and men's apparel, accessories and fragrance products. I understand that Liz Claiborne Inc's merchandise is available at more than 30,000 different retail locations worldwide. In addition to its wholesale distribution, Liz Claiborne, Inc. sells directly to customers throughout the world via 338 specialty retail formats, 646 concessions, 321 outlet and 10 e-commerce sites.

I for one will endeavour to purchase Curve Kicks at once, and will recommend it to all my friends. I highly recommend all Basenoters to purchase this amazing cologne as soon as possible, and tell all your friends and family.

I'm waaay more skeptical of the post above mine than the original post.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm pretty sure that the post was just a very elaborate use of sarcasm :P Btw, I have one of the curve spinoffs, cruve crush, and it really isn't as bad as you people make it out to be. By no means is it a complex scent, but it does smell nice.

I think that we should be less concerned with whether or not he's a troll than with the fact that he has just spent $50 for Kicks (and has felt good about doing it!!). G Man, my friend, go check out scentiments.com. You're say that you're nineteen years old... make your money count! For half that price, you can get lots of wonderful fragrances that will make you kick your Kicks right out into the street. And, hell, for an extra $15, you could have a great tester of Silver Mountain Water or even MI from Creed... ones that probably will make you never visit a mass chain store again.

Assuming you're not a troll (and, honestly, I'm not so sure), don't get discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm you'll no doubt get about Kicks around here. Like any "enthusiast" forum from shoes to classic cars to handbags, posting a love for something that is hardly designed for the "enthusiast" gets the same response. On a shoe forum of which I'm a member, where some members talk about shoe brands that cost more than my house payment, a new member posted about loving "Hush Puppies." Older members tore him a new one (unnecessarily). On a handbag forum where some members have posted pics of their own $17,000 Crocodile Hermes Birkins, a new member talked about Guess and basically got booed out of the place (unnecessarily).

Given this fact, often the people who post about non-enthusiast brands/fragrances/etc. on these forums do so for some other agenda than just interest (to pick a fight, as a sales project, etc.)
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 5th February 2007 at 01:47 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I'll be selling decants of Curve Kicks if anyone's interested. $20.00 including shipping!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I'll be selling decants of Curve Kicks if anyone's interested. $20.00 including shipping!
    Spray or roll-on?
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 4th February 2007 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Spray or roll-on?
    splash.

-edit- i'm just kidding!
    Last edited by knightowl; 4th February 2007 at 03:36 PM.

Wink Re: "Liz Clairborne Curve Kicks"

I can see where someone would make the assumption he's a plant (as all the posts prior to this had been about Curve Kicks) but there's no need to tell him to ship off. If he is a mule, then ignore him and move on with your life, eventually he'll get tired and leave. Or, if he isn't, then eventually he'll try other scents and talk about them as well. Not really sure how different he is to some of the lovefests we have for other fragrances; it seems his one real sin is that it is for Curve instead of Creed.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

This scent is very unlike anything Curve did. Its kind of a mix of Fierce and the drydown has like a foody note to it. Very long lasting on me.

Please note I am not trying to push any Claiborne scents...here : )
    Last edited by scentimus; 5th February 2007 at 12:21 AM.

I'm silent most of the time so here I go....Welcome to all the newbies who Love Curve, Gio, Polo Blue, Kenneth Cle and etc...... And think of it this way....If the newbies posted that they found this awesome niche scent that smelled of a musty old basement or attic we would sing their praises.....Oh....by the way....I don't want to smell like some old musty whatever....Welcome.......to all fragrance Lovers.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303
    I'm silent most of the time so here I go....Welcome to all the newbies who Love Curve, Gio, Polo Blue, Kenneth Cle and etc...... And think of it this way....If the newbies posted that they found this awesome niche scent that smelled of a musty old basement or attic we would sing their praises.....Oh....by the way....I don't want to smell like some old musty whatever....Welcome.......to all fragrance Lovers.....Gary
    Yeah, but that's how it is on EVERY enthusiast site I've been on. We fragrance-obsessives long to find people like us... we can find AdG, KC, Curve, etc. on any street corner. No, no, we want something that will make us smell absolutely rancid to most "normal" people, something that will turn heads, something that sends people running! Something that makes a statement (yes, I'm joking).

Anyway, if we had people around us who loved this stuff as much as we do (I mean, how many people do you know, outside of this forum, that pace the floor waiting for the UPS man to bring something from Aedes???) we'd never even bother getting on a forum.

I think that THIS is why these kinds of posts are met, in general, with less than hospitality. In theory, yes, it would be nice to be equally welcoming to all, but I'm sure most see enthusiast forums as an oasis from society at large.

Shoe forum enthusiasts see their discussion of Lattanzi's ($2000+ shoes) as refuges from Nikes and Florsheims, just as we see the love of absolutely rancid but amazing $200 scents as a refuge from the department store monotony... I want cumin mixed with rubber mixed with the musk gland of some sort of Tibetan deer, not a lovely blend of synthetic tea, bergamot, and vanilla that smells 1) like a dryer sheet or 2) like I just got out of the shower.

Otherwise, what's the point? I can talk about Curve or Kicks or Cool Water with any of my coworkers... but try to get them into Vetiver Extraordinaire and they'll just say, "Why do you want to smell like grass and pizza dough?"
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 5th February 2007 at 12:53 PM.

Inspired by this thread, i made Curve Crush my SOTD today. I will never get rid of this one because it was a gift from my wife a couple years ago .
    Anyway, i have to say i enjoyed it. Smells pretty good, actually. Think i'll start wearing it more often.
    If Curve Kicks is different than all versions so far, then it's worth a skin test for sure.
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, G-Man...welcome to Basenotes !
    Last edited by knightowl; 5th February 2007 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah, but that's how it is on EVERY enthusiast site I've been on. We fragrance-obsessives long to find people like us... we can find AdG, KC, Curve, etc. on any street corner. No, no, we want something that will make us smell absolutely rancid to most "normal" people, something that will turn heads, something that sends people running! Something that makes a statement (yes, I'm joking).

Anyway, if we had people around us who loved this stuff as much as we do (I mean, how many people do you know, outside of this forum, that pace the floor waiting for the UPS man to bring something from Aedes???) we'd never even bother getting on a forum.

I think that THIS is why these kinds of posts are met, in general, with less than hospitality. In theory, yes, it would be nice to be equally welcoming to all, but I'm sure most see enthusiast forums as an oasis from society at large.

Shoe forum enthusiasts see their discussion of Lattanzi's ($2000+ shoes) as refuges from Nikes and Florsheims, just as we see the love of absolutely rancid but amazing $200 scents as a refuge from the department store monotony... I want cumin mixed with rubber mixed with the musk gland of some sort of Tibetan deer, not a lovely blend of synthetic tea, bergamot, and vanilla that smells 1) like a dryer sheet or 2) like I just got out of the shower.

Otherwise, what's the point? I can talk about Curve or Cool Water with any of my coworkers... but try to get them into Vetiver Extraordinaire and they'll just say, "Why do you want to smell like grass and pizza dough?"

This could be the post of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Inspired by this thread, i made Curve Crush my SOTD today. I will never get rid of this one because it was a gift from my wife a couple years ago .
    Anyway, i have to say i enjoyed it. Smells pretty good, actually. Think i'll start wearing it more often.
    If Curve Kicks is different than all versions so far, then it's worth a skin test for sure.
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, G-Man...welcome to Basenotes !
    May God have mercy on your soul.

(j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon
    This could be the post of the year!

NOT!! The man enjoys Curve Kicks. God Bless him. No reason to be rude to him. I hope he continues to participate in this forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russnug
    NOT!! The man enjoys Curve Kicks. God Bless him. No reason to be rude to him. I hope he continues to participate in this forum.
    I think that's what rach2jlc's post was getting at . And Simon Moon just spoke (er...typed) his appreciation for rach's words.

I think I'll wear Curve Chill tomorrow!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I think that's what rach2jlc's post was getting at .
    Exactly, thanks CJ! Yes, my post was just saying why often those kinds of posts get negative reactions, not that I agree with them. Russnug, I'm all for being welcoming for everybody.

Obviously, I love this forum, but it seems like sometimes people don't even bother to read others' posts before posting negative reactions... at least do us the favor of responding to what we actually write!!!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

agreed
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Exactly, thanks CJ! Yes, my post was just saying why often those kinds of posts get negative reactions, not that I agree with them. Russnug, I'm all for being welcoming for everybody.

Obviously, I love this forum, but it seems like sometimes people don't even bother to read others' posts before posting negative reactions... at least do us the favor of responding to what we actually write!!!
    Yeah! You guys got it.

I have to admit that I'm not happy with the response that G Man got to his post. Yes I will acknowledge that the possibility exists that he is part of an AstroTurf (Fake Grass Roots) campaign but I feel it is just as likely that he is honestly expressing his enjoyment of a fragrance. If you have something meaningfully to say about the fragrance, great rebut his comments, but all I'm seeing here is personal attack from people who have likely never have even seen a bottle of the fragrance, much less tried it. To me it reeks of extreme pretentiousness.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Rach2jlc, I did read your post. It was a good post, but not the post of the year. And I did not mean to implie that you or Simon Moon were in any rude to the original poster. I meant the 2 or 3 posters after his post came off as somewhat unwelcoming.

As regards to your post, I concur completely with your thoughts. However, I sincerely hope that Basenotes will always be a place where the most fragrance savay can discuss rare or niche frags to their hearts content. And also, that the young or more inexperienced may also freely confer about whatever the hottest or more common frags that intrest them.

Again my objection was not to the content of your post, but to the fact that the thread starter was not treated in a welcoming manner, and there is no excuse for that.
    Last edited by russnug; 6th February 2007 at 04:57 AM.

Gents,
    I think we're all okay with defense and consideration of the original thread poster now. In his second post to the thread I thought he handled the difficulty pretty well, and further, this being the Internet, I'd wager it wasn't the worst thing the original poster or any of us have ever seen on our voyages on the info-uber-highway.

Either way, the gent has Kicks to make him content doesn't he?

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone, we can indeed take care of new and old members here.
    --Chris

These kind of posts should not be met with inhospitality. If you cannot be welcoming to a person whose fragrance tastes are not as sophisticated as your own than it is best to say nothing. (Again I don't mean you personally rach2jlc, just using your words to make a point.)

Otherwise, what's the point? I can talk about Curve or Kicks or Cool Water with any of my coworkers... but try to get them into Vetiver Extraordinaire and they'll just say, "Why do you want to smell like grass and pizza dough?"

The point is, that people have just as much right to discuss their enjoyment of Curve, Cool Water, English Leather without being put down by others.

Quote Originally Posted by russnug
    The point is, that people have just as much right to discuss their enjoyment of Curve, Cool Water, English Leather without being put down by others.
    Damn straight. Exactly true.

I'll have to pull out my bottle of English Leather though.
    --Chris

Now, 3 threads dedicated to the love of Curve Kicks does seem excessive, but I personally cant see Liz Claiborne Inc worrying about the opinions of this website. They spend millions on advertising, and this is definitely not their target audience. If they were a new, small perfumer trying to make a name for themselves as a boutique, niche company I can see establishing a mule on this site, but Liz Claiborne? Check out their site, and their financial reports if you need further convincing.
    http://www.lizclaiborneinc.com/company/overview.htm

-Slim (Tauer mule)

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    My g/f loves it over the "top" colognes (aqua di gio... IMHO it's a but weak and flowery/powdery)...although Issey Miyake she liked as well.
    I hate that weak smell of those fancy colognes..but hate the OLD MAN smell of the more longer lasting ones... Cologne usually sticks on me for less than 1 hour...b./c i get used to it or it fades.. but Curve Kicks stays on me for more than 2 hours STRONG (one spray only) then becomes subtle (can smell it when someone is up close or giving you a hug)..which is also very nice...

ALSO...

Put it this way.. it was pretty cheap..50 bucks for 4.2 ounces. But lets say... aqua di gio is like 60 for 3.5 or w/e..but its lasting power is weak..

Cologone is like dinning... the fancy French food is expensive, but comes in small portions (this represents popular colognes like Aqua di Gio, Armani code, armani mania, chanel). Might as well eat out at a nice restaurants and get much more for your money for still fantastic food (represents Curve Kicks).
    I'm really going to try and be nice. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, so congrats on your new membership, and welcome to Basenotes. This really isn't a bad review for anyone who hasn't read any of the threads we have (Much better than "i lke aqua digeo becase it get me laid wit hawt womn", or "I LOVE bRIT BECAUSE ITS GETING ME INTO A WOMANS BED!"), but I would suggest reading up before telling us what a "fancy cologne" is.

Aqua di Gio is not a "fancy cologne" Never ever say that again on this forum. You will keep getting reactions like the one above. Curve kicks is not a cheap cologne at $50. I wouldn't pay $50 for any of the Curve line. Kicks isn't on www.scentiments.com yet, but you can get others from the line for $15. Shop around and save yo' money foo!

Chanel is slightly expensive for a designer fragrance, but it really isn't top shelf stuff. I myself have paid $180 for a 3.4oz bottle, and others have paid more. I'm not bragging, I'm telling you how prices range. I've also paid $85 for 1.7oz (I've bought two, both L'Artisan and others have the whole line some of them the 3.4oz bottles), and I'm thinking about getting a $115 1.7 bottle of Rose 31. Aqua di Gio is not a "fancy cologne". Creed retails for $195-$245 or more for a 2oz to a 4oz.

Two hours is actually bad longevity for a cologne. The Rose 31 sample I have on right now is still wafting away at 2 hours, and hasn't died down much at all. Brit by Burberry will blow down anyone within 5 feet after four hours. I know you can still smell it after 2 hours, but as you said, it's just the musk left over.

I really hope you don't run away from us because you think we're mean people. We're just snooty, and bringing Curve Kicks in as your "fancy cologne" killer isn't going to get many nice responses. We have "fancy colognes", and we also have something that cost twice as much as "fancy colognes", and some of us have 3x? 4x? 5x? the cost of "fancy colognes". If you are an industry plant, sorry you have such a terrible job, I wish you the best of luck in finding a better one, because you really won't increase sales of Curves Kicks by writing here (The sales rep said it was for young men, most people here are past that age. (Not me though!)) Again, welcome to Basenotes.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I must be missing something here. Nobody put him down because he likes Kicks. I guessed that he was an operation being put under way in order to further publicize the cologne. That's a hasty generalization(see logical fallacy, though this one is fun to play with). Nobody said "you suck because you like Curve, lols at you."

...we're still arguing about this????

As Genvy said, I didn't see much abuse here. In the past few months, I've seen a lot worse elsewhere and it didn't generate this kind of coverage. I think that the frigid, single digit (or negative double-digit) temperatures are just making us want to pick fights with each other.

So, can we move on? I'll sum up this thread in the hopes that we can:

1) Curve Kicks is probably worth a try, or at least would probably surprise us if we smelled it, and is seemingly better than the regular LC stuff.
    2) Just because somebody likes Curve Kicks, doesn't mean they need to be put in front of a wall and shot. Perhaps relegated to their own corner at the Basenotes Meet-n-greet, but not shot (yes, I'm kidding).
    3) The original poster's intentions may or may not be genuine.
    4) Internet forums devoted to particular hobbies that are outside the mainstream (handbags, shoes, suits, fragrances, etc.) tend towards the extremes of interest and exclusivity. Therefore, new members posting about non-exclusive items are sometimes met with suspicion as plants or hostility. Whether this practice is right or not is irrelevant... it still happens.
    5) AdG still sucks.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th February 2007 at 12:51 PM.

Ah how times have changed. It only seems like yesterday that Curve ruled the roost here...

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/2000/mday.html

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    Ah how times have changed. It only seems like yesterday that Curve ruled the roost here...

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/2000/mday.html
    Ah, the late twentieth century... style's answer to the Dark Ages. Birth of the untucked, stripey shirt worn with jeans, the square-toed Kenneth Cole Frankenstein shoe, the slogan t-shirt ("This is your girlfriend's shirt!", it says jauntily)... I'll stop there, since I just ate breakfast. I believe, over on your side of the pond, Grant, that this was also around the same time the "chav" entered popular culture (Burberry nova plaid, anyone?)
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th February 2007 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    I must be missing something here. Nobody put him down because he likes Kicks. I guessed that he was an operation being put under way in order to further publicize the cologne. That's a hasty generalization(see logical fallacy, though this one is fun to play with). Nobody said "you suck because you like Curve, lols at you."
    I don't know if this is directed at me... I know nobody was putting him down, I was just welcoming him to Basenotes, and giving him some tips about AdG and price range.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Just got to try it yesterday. Sweet, fruity, boring, & generic. The synthetic qualities become more apparent during the drydown. IMO there is nothing original or interesting about this fragrance and it isn't of the best quality, either. Pass.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Liz Clairbourne Curve Kicks ass !!