Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Habit Rouge

  1. #1

    Default Habit Rouge

    I am a lover of Habit Rouge, but I am not especially interested in fragrance. But registering here and asking my question was easier than trying to find anyone as knowledgeable as you guys about cologne!

    That said, here are my questions:

    1) How do I get the eau de parfum of this fragrance, and why is it so hard to find? Is the EDP worth the effort or should I settle for the EDT?

    2) Should I worry about the source? I mean, do all retailers have equivalently fresh product?
    Last edited by brescd01; 5th February 2007 at 01:40 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by brescd01
    I am a lover of Habit Rouge, but I am not especially interested in fragrance. But registering here and asking my question was easier than trying to find anyone as knowledgeable as you guys about cologne!

    That said, here are my questions:

    1) How do I get the eau de parful of this fragrance, and why is it so hard to find? Is the EDP worth the effort or should I settle for the EDT?

    2) Should I worry about the source? I mean, do all retailers have equivalently fresh product?
    You can get the EDP from http://www.escentual.com/cgi-bin/escentual.storefront/.

    I think the EDP of Guerlain products is always worth the effort. They are so much stronger.

    On the second question, I think this is relatively recent release so there should not be any old product about.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    As an owner of first the EDC (Slight disappointment) and then the EDP (wow!) I can definitely say that indeed it is worth it. I don't know why it's so hard to find, and the price is very high (considerably more than the EDC/EDT) but definitely worth it.

    Note that it is indeed not the same formulation -- stronger, surely, but different as well.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Habit Scrooge........Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dog Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso
    Habit Scrooge........Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dog Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow... what a helpful post. Thanks for taking the time to really think this one through.

    Anyway, it's a free country (and board), so I suppose you can write whatever you want, but what's the point of this? The guy wasn't asking your opinion of HR... he already loves it... he's asking about the concentrations. You may not like HR personally, but it would be hard to describe one of the most highly regarded fragrances in the world as "dog shit." Saying such an odd thing speaks more negatively about you than it does about HR (and I'm also not a huge HR fan, though I can appreciate it).

    More on topic, I bought the EDC online a while back, believing it was the EDT, and wasn't impressed with the difference. So, I'd say if you can get the EDP, go for it, but if not, search around and wait for the EDT. The EDC will give you the general idea of Habit Rouge, but the higher concentrations will really make it stick.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 5th February 2007 at 03:19 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  6. #6

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Wow... what a helpful post. Thanks for taking the time to really think this one through.

    Anyway, it's a free country (and board), so I suppose you can write whatever you want, but what's the point of this? The guy wasn't asking your opinion of HR... he already loves it... he's asking about the concentrations. You may not like HR personally, but it would be hard to describe one of the most highly regarded fragrances in the world as "dog shit." Saying such an odd thing speaks more negatively about you than it does about HR (and I'm also not a huge HR fan, though I can appreciate it).

    More on topic, I bought the EDC online a while back, believing it was the EDT, and wasn't impressed with the difference. So, I'd say if you can get the EDP, go for it, but if not, search around and wait for the EDT. The EDC will give you the general idea of Habit Rouge, but the higher concentrations will really make it stick.
    My apologies. This is a great site with a wealth of information and great people. I have learned a great deal and continually do. I appreciate you calling me on this....although H.R. isn't my cup of tea....maybe one day I will eat my own words!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso
    My apologies. This is a great site with a wealth of information and great people. I have learned a great deal and continually do. I appreciate you calling me on this....although H.R. isn't my cup of tea....maybe one day I will eat my own words!
    No problem at all; my only concern was that the original poster (brescd01) was a new member with a specific (and valid) question that warranted specific (and at least attempted) valid answers.

    If he consistently begins getting those kinds of replies to his question, it might make him feel both unwelcome and convinced that he's wasted his time in joining this forum (I mean, he could probably get an "it's dog shit!" review from any elementary school kid ((I know, trust me... I used to work as a substitute teacher and had that experience with Body Kouros!))).
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 5th February 2007 at 01:08 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  8. #8

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Don't worry, the rep of this site is safe with me. I may not know anything about fragrance but I know enough about the Internet to know that Basenotes is the alpha and omega of all things scented.
    --------------------------------------
    BUT since I am a naif, and I have the ear of experts, I would like to pose some more questions:

    1) Are there objective standards by which a fragrance can be judged? In other words, is fragrance ENTIRELY taste? Or just partly? Let me give an example, again from my un-knoweldgeable perspective. My TASTE directed me to Caswell Massey's Tricorn once. It has a very nice smell to me. But the fragrance had virtually zero staying power, in other words, I smelled great for five minutes and then I was done. In my imagination, I would objectively ding this fragrance because it lacked a necessary component of fragrance, to have some staying power.

    2) If there are objective standards, I thought most people take Habit Rouge as a "classic," isn't that so? I wear it (I haven't for a while, but I always go back to it) because I have always loved it, it was my first cologne.
    Last edited by brescd01; 6th February 2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #9

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Brescd,
    Welcome to the site and thank you very much for your kind words and confidence.

    1) How to get the edp. Of course I don't know for sure where you are, but it isn't sold in the United States, and probably not Canada either. I had a friend visiting France buy me a bottle. You could do the same, or use a Web site like the one Eluard cites. I'd assume Europe in general has it, but I have no idea about Asia or anyplace else. I know directly from Guerlain, however, that it is not distributed in the US--this is the straight dope.

    2) Don't worry about the source. As mentioned above, it's a recent release and would be a total fluke if your seller liked to store it in the hot oven or something. If you're buying it new it'll be in its box anyway, and thus protected from light.

    Back to the first question for a moment. The edp is a different yet very similar fragrance to the edt, which is different but very similar to the edc. If you can, and want to have fun with scents, get the edp. I really like it and like it more than the edt which is what I usually wear when I put on HR. (I've got about 400mls of edt stocked up.) But the edp, which smells strongly of the dirty woody oud in the base. Really great, but it took me a while to get used to it mixed with the usual HR notes that are top and middle of the smell. Once I was used to it, I loved it. Now I protect my bottle and stick with the edt.

    Taste does apply, and there aren't objective standards, but there are benchmarks, debate, and clues to what quality and talent are. Enough so that this forum will be filled with commentary until the sun supernovas.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    I find this business of EDC/EDT/EDP versions of a fragrance quite confusing. Hopefully future releases will focus on only one concentration: the EDP. The EDP concentration provides a happy medium between the extremes of EDC and parfum.

    Sorry, I havent tried Habit Rouge, but maybe I should. I like red jackets.
    -

  11. #11

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I find this business of EDC/EDT/EDP versions of a fragrance quite confusing. Hopefully future releases will focus on only one concentration: the EDP. The EDP concentration provides a happy medium between the extremes of EDC and parfum.
    Amen to that! No more weak frags!

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Sorry, I havent tried Habit Rouge, but maybe I should. I like red jackets.
    This reminds me: surely "Habit Rouge" means "Red Riding Hood" and is a reference to the story with the big, bad wolf.

    Anyhow, the EDP is definitely on my shopping lost. But I wouldn't even bother with ebay: I'm not sure that sellers always know/understand the difference between cologne strengths. That is, even if you can find it there.
    Last edited by Eluard; 6th February 2007 at 12:40 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Yeah, I don't know why people translate it as "Red Jacket:" it is "Red Cloak." Why do people keep calling Habit Rouge "a recent release?" I thought it has been manufactured since 1965?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by brescd01
    Yeah, I don't know why people translate it as "Red Jacket:" it is "Red Cloak." Why do people keep calling Habit Rouge "a recent release?" I thought it has been manufactured since 1965?
    It is the EDP that is a recent release — it only came out about a year or so ago, I think.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    It is the EDP that is a recent release — it only came out about a year or so ago, I think.
    Right, that's what I meant too. Incidentally, I think it was the edc that was released in 1965. I don't know when the edt came out, but the edp was only released in the last two or so years.

    And thank you for clearing this up, Eluard.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Right, that's what I meant too. Incidentally, I think it was the edc that was released in 1965. I don't know when the edt came out, but the edp was only released in the last two or so years.

    And thank you for clearing this up, Eluard.
    --Chris
    My pleasure, Chris.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Why would Guerlain release different strengths of a fragrance? And wy wouldn't they distribute it in the USA? Were I to get the EDT or EDC I would have to worry about the product's freshness. What would be a good source for frangrances under those circumstances?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by brescd01
    Why would Guerlain release different strengths of a fragrance?
    Who knows? I don't. But they do make different strengths of fragrances. Often.

    And wy wouldn't they distribute it in the USA?
    I don't know, but they don't. The way it is. If you doubt our responses, I guess whatever we say can't help you.

    Were I to get the EDT or EDC I would have to worry about the product's freshness. What would be a good source for frangrances under those circumstances?
    Edc is getting harder to find but it's still around. If it isn't opened it's probably not gone off in its bottle. If the bottle is in its box it almost certainly hasn't gone off. I can never say for sure, but bottles in their boxes can stay fine for decades if they aren't stored in a hot oven.

    Still, if you're very concerned, I'd shop at a fragrance store that has a high turnover of its products. I'd also look at the box the scent is in to make sure it looks new. If it does you'll be fine. I haven't heard of newly purchased bottles that have gone off in all my time at Basenotes. I suppose it could happen though.
    Best of luck to you.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    You misunderstood me: not only do I accept what you wrote but in fact, I could not find EDP at American retailers on-line. I meant to ask why would Guerlain make such a decision?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Brescd01,
    I don't know why Guerlain would make such a decision. I would guess, however, and only a guess, is that the American market wouldn't go for it because American men would be scared off by the "parfum" part. Parfum? Thats fer da laydeez! I ain't puttin' on any of that.

    For example, American men prefer the term "cologne." Edp would run up against that national prejudice. In France that prejudice doesn't exist; men's fragrances are "parfums masculin."

    Now you have my theory.

    Habit Rouge edp is really a great fragrance. American collectors and consumers like you and me are sadly out of luck getting it without making an overseas purchase.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    It's worth searching out Scentemental's old post discussing the difference between the three formulations of Habit Rouge. I know many people don't like the edp and feel that it is a wholly different scent, especially considering the addition of an oud note.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Good idea, Baron.

    Here's one of the threads on which Scentemental re-posted that great post.

    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=175073

    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I havent tried Habit Rouge, but maybe I should. I like red jackets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    This reminds me: surely "Habit Rouge" means "Red Riding Hood" and is a reference to the story with the big, bad wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by brescd01
    Yeah, I don't know why people translate it as "Red Jacket:" it is "Red Cloak."
    I believe “Habit Rouge” refers to the red jacket or coat worn by men when horseback riding. In English, this red jacket is called a “Riding Habit”. Think of the movies you might have seen showing fox hunts, with the men wearing these red riding jackets. I think the advertising image that they were trying to create was of a sporty and sophisticated gentleman.

    To see Guerlain Habit Rouge advertising with pictures of a man wearing this red jacket, see the Guerlain Habit Rouge advertisements at “Images de Parfums”, which is a web site containing perfume advertisements: http://imagesdeparfums.perso.orange.fr/

  23. #23

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Good idea, Baron.

    Here's one of the threads on which Scentemental re-posted that great post.

    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=175073

    --Chris
    Definitely check out that thread, as Scentemental waxes eloquent
    on the various HR concentrations.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I believe “Habit Rouge” refers to the red jacket or coat worn by men when horseback riding. In English, this red jacket is called a “Riding Habit”. Think of the movies you might have seen showing fox hunts, with the men wearing these red riding jackets. I think the advertising image that they were trying to create was of a sporty and sophisticated gentleman.

    To see Guerlain Habit Rouge advertising with pictures of a man wearing this red jacket, see the Guerlain Habit Rouge advertisements at “Images de Parfums”, which is a web site containing perfume advertisements: http://imagesdeparfums.perso.orange.fr/
    You're right of course — I was partly joking with my reference to Little Red Riding Hood. Those red riding habits are worn in England by those who "ride to hounds" in pursuit of foxes — the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable, as Oscar Wilde put it.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    I looked at that wonderful thread, and I wondered if people can further direct me to the thread that is referenced about correct application of cologne to the body.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Habit Rouge

    Quote Originally Posted by brescd01
    I looked at that wonderful thread, and I wondered if people can further direct me to the thread that is referenced about correct application of cologne to the body.
    Try these:

    Correct places to apply cologe and how many sprays?

    Where do you apply your fragrances?

    how much do you spray?

Similar Threads

  1. Habit Rouge Eau De Parfum
    By beastmccoy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th August 2011, 12:45 AM
  2. Should I get Habit Rouge and what's the difference old/new?
    By Boal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13th May 2010, 08:38 PM
  3. Guerlain Habit Rouge =
    By zztopp in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th October 2007, 08:25 AM
  4. Need advice: Rive gauche and Habit Rouge
    By DreamerII in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th August 2007, 08:21 PM
  5. Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge Old Versions
    By Boal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 8th March 2007, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •