Code of Conduct

Default Best comfort scents that you don't normally wear out (with good longevity)

I've been considering starting a side collection of scents that I could use in intimate situations (but in private!) and around the house. However, at the same time, I'm looking for scents that (for whatever reason - too avant-garde, too special or expensive, poor sillage, etc.) I wouldn't normally (or very occasionally) wear in public. I've just started this side collection by purchasing a 30ml bottle of Hypnotic Poison - great scent, great longevity but very subtle sillage (which would be great to wear when snuggling up with your loved one, or one you've falsely given the impression that you love). I could see myself wearing Hypnotic Poison out but only on rare occasions.

So, do any of you have scents in your collection that you perceive in this way? What do you use them for (but please, spare me the details! )? Why don't you wear them out often (if at all)?

Come on, I need some suggestions...
    Last edited by Trebor; 5th February 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Default Re: Best comfort scents that you don't normally wear out (with good longevity)

Etro - Messe di Minuit is a comfort scent for me. It reminds me of things past, things forgotten...but not out of necessity or repressed memories . This scent slows me down, makes me melancholic, and helps me remember things that the pace of my life drowns out far too often. I love to put in on during a cold, rainy Sunday...and drift way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best comfort scents that you don't normally wear out (with good longevity)

I havn't started wearing it out until recently but Safran Troublant is a great choice. It last surprisingly long for a L'Artisan and is quite easy on the nose. It is really soft and easy to wear around the house while in reading a book on a Sunday. It is a bit on the feminine side because of it's creamy, powdery vanilla and floral note, so I never wore it out but I'm starting not to care about that. Anyway, I think that it is a good choice for what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

i use scents i grew up with..old spice used sparingly is nice...english leather is not a bad scent either..sometime drakkar noir..again...keyword..spareingly
    wolf

Knize Ten is kind of like that for me. I enjoy it when I'm staying in or before I retire for the evening. It relaxes me and perhaps it's the memories of going to the barber shop with my father when I was just a little boy, or maybe it's because of the legend behind the name, but Knize Ten works.

As far as "intamate", Caron tabac blonde and Tea for Two have performed wonderfully for me when interacting with a GF.

Smile Re: Best comfort scents that you don't normally wear out (with good longevity)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I've been considering starting a side collection of scents that I could use in intimate situations (but in private!) and around the house. However, at the same time, I'm looking for scents that (for whatever reason - too avant-garde, too special or expensive, poor sillage, etc.) I wouldn't normally (or very occasionally) wear in public. I've just started this side collection by purchasing a 30ml bottle of Hypnotic Poison - great scent, great longevity but very subtle sillage (which would be great to wear when snuggling up with your loved one, or one you've falsely given the impression that you love). I could see myself wearing Hypnotic Poison out but only on rare occasions.

So, do any of you have scents in your collection that you perceive in this way? What do you use them for (but please, spare me the details! )? Why don't you wear them out often (if at all)?

Come on, I need some suggestions...
    Habit Rouge
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    and....
    Geir
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]

Post Thanks / Like

CB I Hate Perfume Musk Reinvention. I don't wear it out unless it's layered, since others describe it as so shockingly sexual. I find it wonderfully comforting.

Post Thanks / Like

Halston Z-14. I hardly wear it outside but I wear it privately. Lasts forever too!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty comfortable with wearing most unisex fragrances outside and even to work, but there are a couple of decants that I got for my wife that she doesn't like and I've kept. They are Malle Une Rose and Chanel Bois des Isles. I know some male BNers wear Une Rose but even at my most stridently metrosexual I wouldn't wear it out.

Both are so beautiful that I couldn't pass them on - I wear them very occasionally in the evening. Bois des Isles in particular is something special.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Best comfort scents that you don't normally wear out (with good longevity)

I wear all of these sometimes in public, but more often when I'm alone.

Yerbamate, Timbuktu, LV Patchouli, Piper Nigrum, No. 88, L'Eau de Hiver, Musc Ravageur, LV Musk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    However, at the same time, I'm looking for scents that (for whatever reason - too avant-garde, too special or expensive, poor sillage, etc.) I wouldn't normally (or very occasionally) wear in public.
    I've been thinking about this for a while but never found the courage to go through with it. I'm thinking about Dior - Poison (original). Been smelling it from the bottle at the shops and seems like a good buy. It is very feminine though, IMO, but I like the idea of it having massive sillage and good longevity - not that it makes a difference as I'd be wearing it for myself at home I think I might just do it...watch this space!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

A comfort scent that I do NOT wear out is 'Sticky Cake' by Comme de Garcons...can't imagaine smelling like a biscotti at my office

Post Thanks / Like

I have a decant of Carnal Flower. I find this to be an incredible frag, but, IMHO, a bit too floral and feminine for me in public. I find the longevity and sillage pretty good on me. But, so far, a stay-at-home frag.

Castile and Tangerine Homme would fit this description for me.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Best comfort scents that you don't normally wear out (with good longevity)

For me it is Tabarome Milliseme. On me it has killer sillage and an intense animalic undercurrent. The ginger is great and lasts but there is this skanky musty lions den undercurrent going there. I wore it to work a few times and more than once someone said " Ooohh What is that smeeeellllll ! With the infliction definatly meaning not a good sort of smell. I shower everyday so I don't think that basenote is my neanderthal self shining through the sillage.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be Brut - have the cologne, but I think I like the aftershave best (says it has menthol) I like to wear it at home, when I am not going to go out - and especially at night. Too much can smell bitter - just the right amount smells clean and sweet and powdery.
    MC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm this way with Tea for Two. It's not athta I [i]wouldn't['i] wear it out, it's just that whenever I put it on, it seems to lull away any plans of out. It's such a cozy homebody of a scent that I just find a blanket and watch a movie on the couch whenever I wear it.

grigio perla by la perla. Father brought some home after a trip to Milan. Lots of nostalgia for me associated with this...Warm and good for encouraging holding, snuggling, etc. with a woman on a private night.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Homme Sage by Divine. I find it too spicy for work-wear but lovely on weekend evenings, especially just before bedtime.

Ambre Narguile by Herms is another lovely comfort scent. I had some generous samples (from the Bond St shop in London) but don't own it yet unfortunately.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Herms | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre Precieux. It has a very hypnotic, calming effect on me. I sometimes spray some before retiring to my massage chair or bed.I don't wear it out much because I'm very active and it relaxes me a little too much at times. Fragrances I prefer for public wear are those that energize me or boost my confidence.