Code of Conduct

Default Has it ever occurred to you that...

My collection, despite my efforts, is still growing. Even if I bathed myself daily with a different bottle, there is no way that I could go through my entire collection in 3 years. And isn't 3 years the "average" expiration length?

I know some of you have jet-fuel turbo super cooled refrigerators, kept in basements and bottles are only taken out during an eclipse, but how much does that really add? And I know some of you have collections far bigger than mine. Has it ever occurred to you that some of your bottles may never reach the bottom?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Has it ever occurred to you that...

That's why God (er, Grant) invented the Sell/Swap boards .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    That's why God (er, Grant) invented the Sell/Swap boards .
    I couldn't have said it better myself...

I think that they can last for 20 years if you treat them right. Keep them out of the heat and the sun and they'll last for years to come. I have over 20 scents and I wont use all the juice in my lifetime but I plan to keep those bottles healthy and fresh. I don't think 3 years is realistic as an expiration limit that these bottles keep.

I understand your proposal and would normally agree...but why would I swap or sell my bottles when I like the ones I have? Would I swap an old bottle for a new bottle of the same juice?

Not a bad idea...given that you can't tell how old a bottle is...another ethical dilemna for the board to consider...

TNMA

LOL....even after sampling, I'll buy full bottles knowing I'll never finish them. Some frags are ment to be worn on special occasions and some are just everyday scents.

I'd rather have too much than not enough!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    Can I get an AMEN????
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    LOL....even after sampling, I'll buy full bottles knowing I'll never finish them. Some frags are ment to be worn on special occasions and some are just everyday scents.

I totally agree with you on that one; except that I have too many special occasion scents! Damn me!

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    I totally agree with you on that one; except that I have too many special occasion scents! Damn me!
    I think we all do. I don't wear my favorite scent out of fear that I'll one day be without it. I know I'll never run out. Strange way to go about it. I guess we all just have to take a trip to Ernie Gallows to talk it out. We just have to accept that we are not going to actually finish many bottles in our life times...

I want some more special occasions for said scents.

I've got a few tuxedo shirts too. Love to give them some wear.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

this is why 50 ml is a really nice size

Perfume companies should shift to a lower base size .. 15ml. That way, more people will get to enjoy the more expensive niche fragrances, especially (and would be more willing to pay retail).

Does anyone have a 10+ year old bottle of perfume which still smells as it did the day you bought it ?
    -

I've always thought that every penny that you have saved when you die represents part of your life that was essentially wasted- that is, you worked to earn that money, but instead of using it, it went to waste (or the government)(or your kids)(ah, it's all the same).

Perfume is one of those things that keeps my money from going to waste. I have a very efficient FIFO financial system that keeps my savings in constant rotation. I hate stale money. If I die with unused perfume, well- being sad about that would be like being sad about a steak you never finished or some air you didn't breathe yet. I did enjoy that perfume, at least as much as my mortal limits would allow me before my inevitable death, and that's a lot more than I could say about the bottles that I didn't buy

-ben, purveyor of fine rationalizations since 1982.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    isn't 3 years the "average" expiration length?

I know some of you have jet-fuel turbo super cooled refrigerators, kept in basements and bottles are only taken out during an eclipse, but how much does that really add?
    TNMA
    I really don't know the correct answer to this question other than what I've learned here on BN. What I gather (and practice) is to keep bottles in the original boxes and away from any direct heat source.

I have bottles which may be appoaching 30 years old (Santos de Cartier) and some only 10-15 years old. I don't know the manner in which they were stored before I bpought them, but the juice is still good.

I do keep some spare bottles in my basement, near the floor, sealed in plastic bags then wrapped in newspaper and then placed together in a larger box and taped shut....I think I know why my kids say I'm "Too over protective"

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The great wine cellars of England and Scotland were mostly handed down from generation to generation, some subtractions and some additions going on during each successive stewardship.

Great idea. We can hope some of our properly stored bottles will survive us.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Does anyone have a 10+ year old bottle of perfume which still smells as it did the day you bought it ?

A few months ago I was cleaning out the bed of my pickup truck and found a bottle of Ralph Lauren Safari thats at LEAST 7 or 8 years old. It's been sitting there in direct sunlight exposed to 100+ degree Texas heat as well as frozen during the winter, snowed on, rained on, and generally suffered most abuse that mother nature could throw at it. I fully expected it to smell horrid but to my surprise, it smells exactly like Ralph Lauren Safari! I still wear it from time to time and have even received a few compliments on it.

I also found a bottle of the original Polo in the attic at my parents house that I wore in 8th grade (around 1987) and it smells pretty much just as I remembered it. I'd guess it really depends on the particular scent and the components used to make it.

This dilemma of use that thenmarcher brings up is much of why I started offering decants. I had a ton of scents I liked, but knew I'd never use completely. 20-30mls I could see myself using completely (more, of course, for my absolute favorites), but do I really need 100mls of Mimosa Pour Moi, Prada PH or 120mls of Himalaya? Not really... 30mls of each would be plenty to last me for those "special occasions." But, I didn't really want to swap or sell the bottles, because I DO like them and want to use them and, in most cases, I could never really recover the cost I paid for them. So, decants are a good way of 1) helping me use up that excess before it has a chance to spoil 2) spreading some of my favorites around (like L'eau d'ambre, of which I think I've created at least ONE fellow fan) and 3) at least covering basic expenses.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    This dilemma of use that thenmarcher brings up is much of why I started offering decants. I had a ton of scents I liked, but knew I'd never use completely. 20-30mls I could see myself using completely (more, of course, for my absolute favorites), but do I really need 100mls of Mimosa Pour Moi, Prada PH or 120mls of Himalaya? Not really... 30mls of each would be plenty to last me for those "special occasions." But, I didn't really want to swap or sell the bottles, because I DO like them and want to use them and, in most cases, I could never really recover the cost I paid for them. So, decants are a good way of 1) helping me use up that excess before it has a chance to spoil 2) spreading some of my favorites around (like L'eau d'ambre, of which I think I've created at least ONE fellow fan) and 3) at least covering basic expenses.
    I know decants are probably the way to go with this scent affair, but for me, there is some unqualitative value in actually owning the bottle. Call me weird.

TNMA

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    this is why 50 ml is a really nice size
    I agree, but what keep sucking me in to buy the 100 ml bottles is that they are sometimes only $10 or $15 bucks more... and I end up thinking "well, I can always decant..."

They'll often last twenty years plus if you keep them below 50 fahrenheit and in the dark. Citruses should be kept closer to 40 f.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th February 2007 at 09:44 AM.

Polo Sport remains the same after 9 years (11-ml size - splash).
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed
    I agree, but what keep sucking me in to buy the 100 ml bottles is that they are sometimes only $10 or $15 bucks more... and I end up thinking "well, I can always decant..."
    Yes definitely! I always end up there as well. Who wants to let go 50ml for just $10 or $15 bucks??
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Yeah, I'm not going to use this much juice in my lifetime. After owning Brit for 1.5 years, and using it 4/7 days of the week for a year of that time, I've only used about 10-12ml. Wow. Let that sink in... I used three sprays a day, four times a week for a year, and I still have a good 90-88 ml left in the bottle. Now that I have a larger wardrobe, it's lucky if it gets once a month treatment, and the application process is pretty much the same (Maybe a little heavier handed.). I want to buy smaller sizes, and decants, but 15ml seems pushing it. I think that 30ml would be perfect. I just bought Rose 31 by Le Labo, and I went for the 50ml rather than the 15 for this reason. It set me back an extra $65, but I think that it's well worth it, and a 1oz size would have been much better. Sol mi dos centavos cholos.
    - Rích
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I'm trying to finish up some bottles. I just finished a 50ml bottle
    of Colonia Assoluta.

Still, my policy is to wear what I enjoy and let the two-star and one-star
    fragrances sit there. If they go bad, no big deal. I easily have 10 years'
    worth of frags in the wardrobe -- in other words: too many.

You should get much more than three years of storage life out of
    your fragrances, though.