Code of Conduct

Red face An apology for a previous post

Hi guys-

A couple of weeks ago, I made an inflammatory post regarding my extreme disapproval with Macy's and their clientele; one which has been bothering me and I feel I must apologize for.

I had stated that Macy's is a terrible place to buy fragrances, being that they are very overpriced and typically have snooty sales associates...I completely still feel this way...

However, I also did a bit of venting towards the Macy's shoppers themselves, claiming that they were the ones to blame for perpetuating Macy's poor service and prices. I also stated that anyone who shops there must be an idiot for paying so much for something you can get much cheaper elsewhere. I feel I crossed the line with some of the names I threw around, and likewise by calling out and criticizing the shoppers. While I have always been someone who is not afraid to speak their mind and challenge the system and/or rules, I can't expect to see anything good come from yelling at my friends here at basenotes. We're supposed to be on the same team. I can't expect everyone to be as thrifty as myself, nor should I try to dictate how and where people spend their money. I simply got bent out of shape when I failed to see any logic in shopping there.

Actually, I just broke down and made a purchase there yesterday, and the sales girl was very friendly and generous with samples...Definitely a first for me! After realizing that I couldn't get what I wanted without having to wait for it, I decided to buy a gift set that included a deodorant; a value that wouldn't have been available anywhere else without added shipping cost and time. So I suppose even I can warrant shopping there in some extreme cases...

Anyways...I'm sorry if I was too abrasive with the name calling and such. If I decided to freak out about something pointless again, I'll keep it to myself; or at least offline! (btw, I quit smoking the night before I posted that, sooooo.......well, you know....) Like I said, we're supposed to be on the same team, so I don't want to drive away the generally considerate and friendly folks I meet on here. Have a good day, courtesy of Scentronic!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: An apology for a previous post

We all have our moments on the forum; some bad, some good. You just had a good moment.
    Nice post man.

Good luck with quitting smoking. Big of ya'.

I missed your abrasive post, but I concur with your disdain for that department store. Before Macy's bought Kauffman's it was May company here in Ohio. May Company had a very nice selection of good names in the frag dept. When it changed to Kauffman's, the selection went down, but still worth shopping. Now that it's Macy's, half of the men's frag dept. has been eliminated along with ALL of the better names.

Initially I was pretty ticked off, but in retrospect, I tend to rather prefer the limitation of securing good frags. If for no other reason than most people don't have/won't have the same frags that I do.

Regarding your personal attack...I've made the same mistakes in the not so distant past, but with a little help from my friends, I've begun to rethink my approach to how I reply to different situations here. This site is more of a golf mentality than that of football and I shall attempt to conduct myself accordingly.

Blog Entries

Apology accepted . And don't hold back on us....what gift set did you get???
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Yes...we all have those day's....Very nice post.....It takes a bunch of class to say I'm sorry.....and yes we are on the same team.
    By the way....My going on 27 year old Son is about 5 or 6 days into His attempt to quit smoking and He has been a Bear at times.....I'm glad to hear that You are trying to quit.....stay strong....and You'll feel better and smell better too....Take Care.
    Gary

I didnt find your original post that offensive, but sure we would like to see you interact more here! You are the one who turned me onto Green Valley and Original Santal
    -

I have thought the same things about my local department stores from time to time, perhaps not with quite the same virulence, but big of you to apologize!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

That is a very manly apology. Quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin (some folks say). Great post!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

The true measure of a person's character is not that they never make mistakes, we all make mistakes, but rather it is what they do after they have made a mistake. By that measure you are classy guy. While I've never been a smoker, I've seen how "on edge" some of my friends have gotten when they were quitting. It is hard but I think it will be worth it, if for no other reason then you will be better able to appreciate the fragrances you use. You will also have a lot more money to spend on fragrances!
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

We all have our moments, I have tried to quit many times, so I totally understand where you were coming from.

I must add that you have to have big Kahunas to admit publicly, that you were wrong.

Personally I would rather have somebody with big Kahunas on the team rather than no Kahunas . And with you I am glad to be on this team too .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Macy's main store in NYC was across the street from Gimbels. When Gimbels went out of business I was saddened because I desperately wanted to see Macy's go under.

When Randolph Hearst needed money he auctioned his goodies from the Castle in San Simeon in Gimbels. It took the whole store and the public was allowed to view his riches and bid along with the hoi polloi.

Say ten hail marys (or ten kahunas) and all is forgiven.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm a month into stopping smoking again - I've found it hard this time, but perhaps that's a good sign (I always found it easy to stop before, but staying stopped ...)

I saw the original thread developing, and I was willing you to 'step away from the keyboard'. I entirely sympathise though. I've been there. When I've 'overstepped the mark', to euphemise, I've been fortunate that the people I've been crass with have got back to me in PMs rather than pointing out my failings on the board. One of the posters above was very classy on that score.

To be honest, one or two posts have been submitted when I've been 'tired and emotional' and I'm thinking of installing a breathalyser on my keyboard

Well done on the apology. I'm really glad that you are posting again - I enjoy what you have to say.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

nice post and no hard feelings. best of luck with quitting

Thanks for the positive response, guys! I like the keyboard with a breathalyzer idea!

Btw the gift set was "just" Armani Code. I've really taken a liking to it lately, and it is the scent that reminds me of my recent move to a better area...going out, socializing, etc.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    I'm thinking of installing a breathalyser on my keyboard
    OMG I sooooooo need one of these!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

You know you may have gone into the Macys when there where no reps back from January leave. Most fragrance reps get the entire month off and when they are gone there are usually no samples to be given. Most companies do not send samples directly to the stores. Most samples are brought in by the account reps or AE's who are promoting in the store. So try not be to bitter at the sales people for not giving samples they may really not have any.