Code of Conduct

Default Calling all men for some help...

My S.O is picky when it comes to frags. On me he likes
    (never seems to "love" anything) Aqua Di Gio, Obsession Night , Spears Fantasy.

Note really my favs, but ok.

I own

Sensi
    Serpentine
    Zents Sun
    Zents Mandarine
    Lolita Lempecka
    L'Instant
    Spears Fantasy
    Spears In Control Curious
    Spears Curious
    J Lo Live
    Origins Spring Fever
    Aqua Di Gio
    Lipstick Rose
    Obsession Night
    Lovely (we both hate it)
    Dior Addict
    By D&B
    Cristobal
    Guess Gold

I tried on all of the Chanels, he only liked allure sensuelle, enough to say, "it's alright".
    Doesn't care for Euphoria. Thought hani mori butterfly was nice, but did not match my personality. LMAO!!!!!!!!
    He's a pain in my ass!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm trying to shop for him. All I have to go on is what he likes or does not like on me, and the 3 frags that he likes on himself. Those three are
    Aqui Dio Gio (he likes it, but not as much as Kenneth Cole New York or Musc Ravageur )
    Kenneth Cole New York
    Musc Ravageur

On him I like Musc Ravageur the best, then Kenneth Cole. Aqua Gio, I can do without. lol

He's an accountant, handsome , loves watching sports
    (heaven help me! LOL) ,
    he's the silent observer type in a crowd, he loves to shop, but likes to play it safe when it comes to fashion.
    Here are some examples of what he wears
    Jeans and sweater with shoes like Clarks Brass Oily Bike Toe Oxford
    , (Casual)
    Slacks with rich color button up shirts from express with street loafers (informal events)

Yep, that's all I have to work with. lol

So, I'm looking to get him a new frag for Valentine's Day.
    Please help!

Oh yeah, he is 34.
    Last edited by Loli; 6th February 2007 at 03:48 PM.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Default Re: Calling all men for some help...

I've always found getting someone a fragrance to be a challenge. How you smell is such a personal thing. So buying someone a fragrance you don't know they already like is a big risk. So what I suggest is to get a collection of decants and/or mini's to let your SO give them a try and then buy the preferred one. This way you have a better chance of getting a hit. Based upon your post I get the sense that you are looking to expand your SO's fragrance horizons so this could be very good.

Anyway a suggestions of one to look at is Vera Wang for Men. There are a lot of people who complain about this fragrance's longevity but I've not had any problems.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122563.html
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Try YSL's Opium eau de parfum pour homme version. It's very warm, handsome, and elegant.
    Last edited by graffham; 6th February 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd suggest Safari or Zino Davidoff. Straightforwardly masculine, without being too loud. And whether he likes them or not, you will probably like them on him.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

The good ladies at Malle Paris recommended me (and sent me samples of) Musc Ravageur and Vetiver Extraordinaire on the basis of their online questionnaire. My profile is not a million miles away from your SO's - so Vetiver Extraordinaire might be worth thinking about. I've worn it a couple of times and find it deep, juicy and complex. Its wearable but very different.

Other suggestions (designer rather than niche) for more formal scents, but in a mid-30s open-neck shirt kind of way;
    Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree
    Guerlain Heritage
    Dunhill Edition

More nightwear style
    Gucci Envy
    YSL M7

Loli - Have a great Valentine's Day - and BTW love that avatar
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    The good ladies at Malle Paris recommended me (and sent me samples of) Musc Ravageur and Vetiver Extraordinaire on the basis of their online questionnaire. My profile is not a million miles away from your SO's - so Vetiver Extraordinaire might be worth thinking about. I've worn it a couple of times and find it deep, juicy and complex. Its wearable but very different.

Other suggestions (designer rather than niche) for more formal scents, but in a mid-30s open-neck shirt kind of way;
    Guerlain Heritage
    Dunhill Edition

More nightwear style
    Gucci Envy
    YSL M7

Good suggestions I second Heritage and Dunhill Edition.

And about that avatar it looks to me like an Ellen von Unwerth photograph. Is that right?
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Overcome By Fumes

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Eau des Iles

I second Heritage big time...very warm and with hints of spice and honey and drie woods....
    I`m a big fun of MR, so I would recomend one that I also love and is quite similar to it (to my nose): Must de Cartier (the women`s one)
    I will also recommend Guerlain`s Shalimar, Nu edp by Yves Saint Laurent, Michael by Michael Kors and one of my holy grails: CdG Sequoia!

cheers

Pablo

If not Musc Ravenger, then try Colonia Assoluta . It's my SOTD and it's tantalizing.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

What part of the world are you in Loli? Upon reading the description of your S.O., I would recommend Dunhill Edition as well, however, Edition smells nothing like Musc Ravageur. I think two choices similar to MR are Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur and Chergui by Serge Lutens, but it's going to be tough to get them before Valentines Day.

Perhaps you could get decants from members here in time though.

Gendarme. Definitely, Gendarme. If you want to go wild, Gendarme V. Mr. accountant, a quiet bystander in a crowd, good looking and casual. Gendarme, believe me.

Joe

I converted my dad from Acqua di Gio by buying him Aqua de Bulgari PH. Another good alternative is L'Eau D'Issey.

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    What part of the world are you in Loli? Upon reading the description of your S.O., I would recommend Dunhill Edition as well, however, Edition smells nothing like Musc Ravageur. I think two choices similar to MR are Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur and Chergui by Serge Lutens, but it's going to be tough to get them before Valentines Day.

Perhaps you could get decants from members here in time though.

I'd second Dunhill edition on that. To me, it's a very safe choice.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39

Guerlain Heritage
    Dunhill Edition

More nightwear style
    Gucci Envy
    YSL M7

Brilliant suggestions! Every one of them! All of them, with the exception of Envy (which itself is still a good suggestion), are in my top 10.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Smile Re: Calling all men for some help...

I just sampled some burberry London. The new one in the plaid bottle. I love it. Slightly woodsy Incensy spicy. Nice manly frag. I would also second the suggestion of getting some sample tubes and have him try them seperatly one per day. Again scent is so personal as has been mentioned before and of course every mans love is not every other mans love. Or some such thing as that.

There are alot of fans of Creed's Bois de Portugal here on the site. I tried to wear this. And tried. And tried. But just couldn't pull it off. But others swear by it. Same with Royal English Leather.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I 'd say for daytime use Il Profumo's Touaregh, GIT, Acier Aluminium , New Haarlem, Santal Blanc, VdR and evening Patou PH, Ambre Sultan, M7, Envy..

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Brilliant suggestions! Every one of them! All of them, with the exception of Envy (which itself is still a good suggestion), are in my top 10.
    Ged - you are a gentleman and a scholar.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I've been a bit under the weather for the last two weeks, so that is the reason for my delayed response.
    Again, thank you very much!
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Sooo ... what did you get him?

We have not celebrated yet, because I've been under the weather.
    We have a date set for next weekend, so I have to decide before then.

I'll let you know
    Bette Davis

Divine L'homme sage different enough to stand out from the crowd modern yet respectful to the fine traditions of french perfumerie lasts forever and i for one can't see why anybody could not like this excellent fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Loli
    We have not celebrated yet, because I've been under the weather.
    We have a date set for next weekend, so I have to decide before then.

I'll let you know
    Hi Loli is that avatar an Ellen von Unwerth photograph?

Eluard, no it is not. She never photographed Bettie Page. I know the photo is small, but that's who is getting spanked.

Hot stuff, if you ask me...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by fenton_t_fox
    Divine L'homme sage different enough to stand out from the crowd modern yet respectful to the fine traditions of french perfumerie lasts forever and i for one can't see why anybody could not like this excellent fragrance.

Thanks Fenton, I will look into this one too.
    Last edited by Loli; 1st March 2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bette Davis