Code of Conduct

Default Heads up! Avicenna by Annette Neuffer

Annette is already a gifted jazz singer and trumpet player (look for her site for a sampling of her songs), but apparently her artistic talent was not meant to be limited to music. As a passionate perfume lover, she decided to try her hand in creating her own perfumes, hand blended with all natural ingredients. Well, the same success she has in the musical field she deserves to have as a new artisanal perfumer .

Avicenna, her perfume named after the Persian philosopher who first distilled rose oil, is a beautiful, deep oriental. I love the name and I love the fragrance itself and I'm so sorry I won't be doing it enough justice with my words! To my nose, the opening is flaring with orange and cinnamon, followed by a heart where a dark red, spicy, three-dimensional rose unfolds its velvety petals one by one. But being a fan of dry-downs, this is the stage I prefer, warmed by saffron, a delicious beeswax note, precious resins and woods that melt on the skin.
    Avicenna is like an aged wine that has to be savoured slowly, while it reveals itself gorgeously, layer after layer.

Rose lovers should try also her Absolue de Rose, a fresh, very realistic rose bouquet.
    You can read more about her scents on her perfume site, http://www.naturparfum.net/, where you can also order samples.

Annette, please chime in, you're so welcome!

Notes taken from her site:
    Head: Black Pepper, Cinnamon Bark, Cardamom, Ginger, Macis, Mandarin, Bergamot, Tunisian Neroli
    Heart: Saffron Absolute, Tunisian Orange Blossom absolute, Turkish and Bulgarian Rose Otto and absolute, Moroccan Rose Absolute, Russian Rose Absolute, Jasminum Grandiflorum Egypt, Acacia Farnesiana, Indian Tuberose, Broom Absolute
    Base: Beeswax Absolute Supérieur, Opoponax, Elemi, Labdanum, Benzoin, Vanilla Absolute, Mysore Sandalwood, Copaiva Balsam, Hibiscus Abelmoschus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Default Thank you and newbie introduction :0)

Hello everybody,
    first of course I want to thank you, Lady_in_Black for your beautiful review
    I'm very honoured you liked the scent and took your time to write something so nicely about it.

I'm Annette from Germany, and Lady_in_Black has actually said everything about me.
    Since his refined Highness Prince Barry recommended this fantastic site to me some weeks ago I have been reading here for a while, but due to a temporary lack of time didn't introduce myself so far. I'm especially impressed by the Ernie Gallo's Abuse Clinic, count me right in there!!!

Best regards to all of you, Annette
    Last edited by jazztweety; 7th February 2007 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: Heads up! Avicenna by Annette Neuffer

Oh my, Annette/jazztweety, speaking of 'making an entrance' on Basenotes!
    Let's say: classy!

With a flash in the sky and beautiful scents. And a friend of my lovely Italian Unicorn as well, who shamelessly teased me this last week with 'the scent I can not reveal yet'

You are so very welcome and I hope to read more of you and the beauties you compose.

LIB, thank you for your great review and I think we will have something to discuss now, dear
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome jazztweety! I second Riannon in saying 'Oh my!'

Riannon and Shycat, thanks for the warm welcome :0)

'the scent I can not reveal yet' well, LiB was actually pretty daring to tease you with that, she could as well have hated it. It's always tricky to depend on reviews only and then the dissappointment may be big. But anyhow, of course I am grateful if it turned out fine

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome on Basenotes, jazztweety!
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Post Thanks / Like

Wow-- I see you used some CO2 extracted Morrocan Rose Absolute in your Absolue de Rose. I also commend your choice of parfum flacons--so unique and well, cool.

Annette, I don't need another rose soliflore. I have 19. But by God, I need that bottle.....

like taking candy from a baby

Shycat,

which of the bottles do you mean?

Hi Annette, I'm happy you decided to de-lurk

It's the third evening in a row I'm wearing Avicenna and I have something to add about it. Until I tried Annette's scent, I've had no evident perception of what the difference between an all-natural and a mixed or "all-chemical" scent was, although I have smelled quite a few natural fragrances (and I admit that this may be attributable to my still unrefined nose ). I believe I can see that difference now, in that Avicenna seems more "real" to me, more multi-dimensional and layered. I find it very satisfying to be able to smell all stages of the perfume development very distinctly, from head notes to drydown. And please take into account that I don't love rose scents!
    There was only one exception so far (Safran Troublant) and Avicenna is the glorious second.

Speaking of bottles, I love the violet extrait bottle and may spring for it next time
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 7th February 2007 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Annette - both here on Base Notes and to the bidness of perfume! :bounce: Do you have a site for your music as well?

DEAR, DARLING LADY IN BLACK....thank you SO MUCH for this alert! Went to the site - very artistic - and am trying to order samples (somewhat puzzled by the process - but I am an impatient and not always thorough person...but I will prevail!!) and am very much looking forward to Avicenna cause I ADORE roses - never mind that I've got almost as many as Shycat!! Your review made my mouth water and - as you can see - produced results!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

It's the dark violet extract bottle that I like so much.

It seems so solid and sturdy, and it's different from anything I've seen. It does help as well that I can never seem to have enough rose fragrances!

Plus, the 'everywoman' perfumer stole my heart with these mother-loved words --"You can put it in the dishwasher." I laughed a half second to hear such claims for a perfume bottle, but it's so true I thought- "Damn, this woman is for REAL alright!"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Annette/jazztweety, and oh boy, there went my determination to STOP SAMPLING until I work my way through some of the stuff I've just recently ordered!!! But how can I possibly resist? Avicenna is not only beautifully named, but it's got many of my very, very favorite notes all rolled up in there... Not to mention the ringing endorsement of our esteemed LiB! And of course, since for me to try Avicenna I'm going to need to ship it to the States, I'm going to have to order BOTH perfumes to justify the shipping...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva
    since for me to try Avicenna I'm going to need to ship it to the States, I'm going to have to order BOTH perfumes to justify the shipping...
    I like the way you think!

Dear Lievje, Taolady and Comdiva, thanks for your welcomes as well, nice to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    "Annette, I don't need another rose soliflore. I have 19. But by God, I need that bottle....."

"And of course, since for me to try Avicenna I'm going to need to ship it to the States, I'm going to have to order BOTH perfumes to justify the shipping... "
    LOL Shycat!!! In our times, one has to flexible, and you certainly are! But let me say that Avicenna is not a soliflore by any means.
    I just called the packaging factory and the Miron bottles are in stock (sometimes, if I need certain bottles at I time when nobody wanted to buy anything from me, they were ALWAYS available, now that I have lots of requests, some items are not in stock at my supplier - Murphy's Law!!!)
    I will get a bunch of them tomorrow. Those cuties are not only beautiful, but they were created to keep the living energy of plant essences, and it is scientifically proven that they do better than green, brown and blue glass.

For further information you might go to the miron-glas.com site (I must reach 15 posts first to be able to post URLs - good idea to prevent spam,btw.)

Plus, the 'everywoman' perfumer stole my heart with these mother-loved words --"You can put it in the dishwasher." I laughed a half second to hear such claims for a perfume bottle, but it's so true I thought- "Damn, this woman is for REAL alright!"
    Haha, you have caught me there - As a Bavarian country girl I cannot waste such a beautiful item for one time use only, LOL!
    I have nothing to do with the high end exclusivity perfumery fuzz, can't stand this "the more expensive the stuff I'm wearing the more important I am" thing. Maybe I sound funny with the dishwasher issue, but I'm amazed that most of the industrial frags are coming with those bottles you have to throw away later, even if they are so darn expensive - that's a joke. My sprayer bottles do also have screw sprayers that can be used again.

There is another thing of evidence to me: I want my perfumes to be reasonably priced, so that they are affordable for all and not only to rich perfume lovers.
    Of course the materials I use are incredibly expensive, plus it's a big hassle to get them here in Germany (must often wait for many weeks until the stuff comes out of the customs etc.)
    This is the reason why I will always offer a 15ml spray bottle, so people can really check out the scent without spending a fortune on having another orphan 100ml monster in their cupboard that is soon going to explode

Taolady, my music page is in my signature :0)

Last but not least, Lady_in_Black, thank you ever so much for your after-report, you make me very happy!

As soon as I will be able to post URLS, I will send the links to Helg's and Ifimedia's reviews.

Have a nice day everyone - Annette

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome - the perfume sounds fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like

Who else has ordered samples??

Christina - you gonna sponsor a "daub and share" day or something for these beauties?? After all, you got us into this!!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Oh, Annete has done a great job as I myself commented upon the other day.
    Natural essences really show a dramatic difference when one is talking about flowers, it's true. It smells dense and rich.

Post Thanks / Like

My three samples arrived yesterday (record time!) and this morning I carefully showered and laid down my base of pure jojoba and sprayed on Avicina and I am in heaven!

The bright peppery opening blast mentioned by others does not happen on my bod! Rather a slow insinuation of cinnamon orange that blossoms into subtle full bosomed roses of a glowing burgundy, underlaid with oppoponax and creamy sandalwood. And I've only had it on for a few hours.

Can't wait to see how this develops throughout the day - already mysterious and captivating. Many thanks to LIB and to Jaztweety! :bounce:

Yes, Tommi, many thanks to Annette/jazztweety, indeed!
    I am delighted that you liked this beauty. I have it in heavy rotation and just can't get enough of the dark rose-saffron-beeswax accord...
    I also want want want the perfume extrait in the violet Miron bottle!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Annette & welcome!

I've left you a note on your website, as I'd like to order samples & am not too sure how to go about doing that.

My head is spinning with the lucious list of notes.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I slept in Annette's Choconilla, about which she has this to say: "The "Choconilla" sample is based on guess what???? Chocolate (Cocoa absolute), Vanilla and Tonka, plus a little Orange Flower, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang and Citrus." - on me subtly chocolate-y with an subdued vanilla undertone. The flowers show up in about a half hour and the whole concoction is - literally - yummers!! :bounce:

Another winner! And nice to alternate with Avicenna.

Am wearing leather and tobacco today to prepare me for tomorrow's Rose Absolue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    Last night I slept in Annette's Choconilla, about which she has this to say: "The "Choconilla" sample is based on guess what???? Chocolate (Cocoa absolute), Vanilla and Tonka, plus a little Orange Flower, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang and Citrus." - on me subtly chocolate-y with an subdued vanilla undertone. The flowers show up in about a half hour and the whole concoction is - literally - yummers!! :bounce:

Another winner! And nice to alternate with Avicenna.
    Oh, thank you, OBB!!
    Guess who immediately ordered a sample? And Avicenna as well??

My own fault of course, leading you astray in the first place. I am doomed

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I've got your website bookmarked and will visit and explore as soon as possible.

Avicenna, Choconilla and three other generous samples arrived two hours ago.
    I decided on sampling because Taolady's review about Choconilla was so right up my alley. And alright, I decided to try Avicenna as well.

Avicenna with roses. I don't like the scent of roses very much. In a perfume, I mean. Love the flowers though.

And now I am sniffing in a delirious state of happiness the wrist sprayed with Avicenna
    No, it is not good, it is a ****gem!! Even the MDCI scents are forgotten, smelling this. Well, if that is not saying how I feel about this scent!

"Heads up", dear LIB?? Shall we make that: "Must have of the year"?

Eh, yes, I am a bit excited. Remarkably this scent does that for me.
    Excited and happy :bounce:

Dear JazzTweety, did someone tell you lately you are a fragrance genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon

Dear JazzTweety, did someone tell you lately you are a fragrance genius?
    "BLUSH"

A big huge thanks to all of you for your compliments, lovely emails and purchases! I am really overwhelmed about the resonance of my fragrant hobby,

Now that I'm able to post links I send the the links to the reviews of Helg and Ifimedia - I wish my scents were as good as their writing style! Those Greek gals are surely very sophisticated! Btw they are honestly not in any way affiliated.

Here's Helg, btw her perfume site is very interesting with lots of really brilliant articles:

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...y-annette.html

and Ifimedia

http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?showtopic=14441

and for the ones that are cute bottle fans you might check the new 10ml bottles that come in dark green, translucent or cobalt blue, aren't they nice ?

Have a great weekend everybody!!!

Last edited by jazztweety; 26th March 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the green bottle! Blue I can take or leave but the green has caught my eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my samples last week. Another big fan of both Avicenna and Annette here! And me with my "jasmine issue" STILL love the Avicenna, at least in part because the jasmine is subtle, and seems to burn off quickly enough on my skin that the GORGEOUS drydown is a real winner! Another addition to my wish list. *sigh.* But boy, will I be happy when I get it!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very happy as my big bag of samples arrived today. Although I already have some scent on, I couldn't resist and sprayed a little Avicenna on my wrist (will road test it properly along with the others over the next week or so). First impression is actually that it reminds me of a much nicer version of Youth Dew without the soapy aldehydes. But I will look forward to further testing and indeed, trying Choconilla, which sounds delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I'm very happy as my big bag of samples arrived today. Although I already have some scent on, I couldn't resist and sprayed a little Avicenna on my wrist (will road test it properly along with the others over the next week or so). First impression is actually that it reminds me of a much nicer version of Youth Dew without the soapy aldehydes. But I will look forward to further testing and indeed, trying Choconilla, which sounds delicious!
    Indiscreet, I discovered by experiencing it myself that Annette's perfumes are pretty much "alive". Therefore I suggest you let them settle down a bit before judging them fully - they might be rather upset by the trip . At least, my Madagascar in extrait was!

Post Thanks / Like

Noted! It's nice to test something that is all natural, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Am starting A Week of Opulentals (Annette's descriptive new name for her line of naturals) having received new samples of her "old" fragrances - Avicenna, (in both perfume and EDP) Madagascar, Choconilla and Absolue de Vanille plus a new (to me) entry Narcissus Poeticus in which I am currently aswoon!! :bounce: (Have I invented another word??!!)

After the familiar bright and peppery opening note I think of as her "signature" (trumpet without the mute!!) a rounded mellow narcissus rolls forth upheld by ambery musk and a hint of ... smoky leather!!! This has nothing of the greeny sharpness of Narcisse Noir - but has a slumbering voluptuous quality - desert night, lamp-lit silken tent, damask pillows, incense smoke wafting upward - (fill in the blanks!)

Another winner from this fabulously talented lady!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my that sounds divine! I feel like I'm on Let's Make A Deal of old, waiting to see behind door #3. I ordered only a bit ago, and Annette said she'd include some goodies! Will it be Narcissus Poeticus???? I have an urge to rock back and forth in my chair--the suspense is killing me. Man. I'm really nuts.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be joining you for this one. I don't have Narcissus but I have a nice selection of others to try. So far so good!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to read your review Indiscreet one - and Shycat. Especially if either of you have received Damascena which so far I have not. But it's inevitable!!

Today it's the initial offering Avicenna in the EDP. I'm with Lady in Black on this one - you just can't get enough.:bounce:

Here's the notes from the site: Head:Black Pepper, Cinnamon Bark, Cardamom, Ginger, Macis, Mandarin, Bergamot, Tunisian Neroli. Heart Saffron Absolute, Tunisian Orange Blossom absolute, Turkish and Bulgarian Rose Otto and absolute, Moroccan Rose Absolute, Russian Rose Absolute, Jasminum Grandiflorum Egypt, Acacia Farnesiana, Indian Tuberose, Broom Absolute. Base Beeswax Absolute Supérieur, Somalian Myrrh, Oppoponax, Elemi, Labdanum, Benzoin, Vanilla Absolute, Mysore Sandalwood, Copaiva Balsam, Hibiscus Abelmoschus.

A formidable array of quality ingredients - but just listing them doesn't convey the effect (we know! It never does!!) For me the opening is deeply spicy/citrus with only a hint of the pepper, and the roses and jasmine already hovering in the background. The myrrh and labdanum translate as smoky incense. This doesn't do it justice - as Lady in Black said - you've really got to experience Avicenna for yourself. Mysterious - haunting - an opulent oriental to the max!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got my package from Anette on Monday; took the advice on letting the juice calm down a couple of days before spritzing it on, as this is natural perfume.

But today is the day! After two days of waiting I could finally spray on Avicenna in perfume. This smells like nothing I have smelled before; it's something completely different from the department store scents that until a few months ago was the only kind of scent I had smelled.

I'm not good at describing notes, but others have done that wery well on this tread; so I'll just say that I smell roses and spice; and that I like very much what I am smelling. It's goood!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing it today, myself. What I like about it is that it smells really organic. A lot of department store scents, and even the niche scents, smell, not synthetic, exactly, but highly polished. This is dirtier, earthier, and, consequently, warmer.
    My little tester of Avicenna is almost depleted (fortunately I have some parfum and EDT). I must say I am sorely tempted to invest in some more.
    Has anyone got around to asking for Annette's scents to be added to the database?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Has anyone got around to asking for Annette's scents to be added to the database?
    What a great idea!! Who knows the criteria? And how then does one go about it?? We should ask Tigs.

Today it's the yummy Choconilla for me (I have changed my commitment name to A Week of Opulentals - don't you love "Opulentals" ????!!! :bounce Annette labeled this sample "new batch" and it is different to the last one I tried a few months ago. Not so chocolate-y, with a bit more roses - and the vanilla subdued too. I've only had it on for an hour so it's not fully developed but it has that warm, smoky earthy tinge Indiscreet speaks of and that is so Neuffer. This one sits close to the skin and on me needs re-apps.

I haven't decided yet which ones are going to join the stable, but compared to other artisanals her prices are so reasonable I think I can handle more than one!!

Post Thanks / Like

As I said on the SOTD thread, I had the pleasure of trying out the prototype Damascena. It is based on the same ingredients as the Absolue de Rose, but in different quantities, and on my skin seems rosier and more tenacious than the original. I like it very much...but then I also like Avicenna and Madagascar!
    Annette is a talented lady indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it took me so long to hook onto this thread.
    Welcome jazztweety, and thank you Lady In Black for introducing us to this line.
    I'm always in support of natural perfumes, combining what is best about fragrance with what is best for our safety and the health of the environment.
    Opulentals has been duly bookmarked in my web browser for future sample purchase.

Although I am late to Taoladys' Week of Opulentals, how could I not join you, sweeties? :wave:
    Tonight I am wearing Avicenna in extrait. If you loved the EdP, the perfume is heavenly....imagine the spices deeper but softer, the rose so luscious you envision it as being almost black, intoxicated by an embrace of saffron and beeswax....
    Anybody besides me loving those new crystal extrait bottles? -swoon- :bounce: