Code of Conduct

Angry TJ Maxx...no more frags???

I was just at my local TJ Maxx. I made a bee-line for the back, where the disorderly mess that they call the cologne shelf is, and

IT WASN'T THERE!!

I found one small bottle (30 ml i think) of JOOP! over in the women's skincare section, and that's it!!! It's an atrocity!!!

Has anyone else's Maxx done this?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: TJ Maxx...no more frags???

I'll run over to the TJ Maxx over here tomorrow and see what the deal is.

:holds breath:

Blog Entries

That would be a sad, sad thing if they do away w/ their discounted frags!!! I was just @ Marshall's (same company) the other day & they had an ok selection. Now I'm kinda scared!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

My local TJ Maxx has gone down the toilet also. Up until beginning of last year the had a pretty decent selection of fragrances. Now i'm lucky if i can find an M7 shower gel buried underneath the mess .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I'm lucky in the fact that my local TJ Maxx does still have a frag rack, however,.. the one at Marshalls has dissapeared.

My local TJ Maxx just moved to another mall nearby..I'll go down to check it this weekend..but the fragrance section was ok a few weeks ago.

oops...forgot to mention that they still have some Halston Z-14 and 1-12, but still...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Yeah mine wasn't much to talk about in the first place. Mostly Halstons, lots of Grey Flannels, and a few assorted Escadas and Azzaros if you're lucky. It didn't change much. The Ross next door isn't any better. Does this mean that more people are buying scents at full retail, or that those stores just aren't making money on them?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I doubt they'd do away with fragrances, I'd say that is probably where they make their single largest profit (after all, their prices often aren't just amazing, but are placed near malls where shopper's only alternative is retail stores...)

My guess is that this is probably when they do inventory/finish up post-christmas sales and are just waiting to get new stuff in (of course, I have no idea). They're so hit and miss, for me, that I hardly can justify driving the hour it takes me to get to one. On one occasion (a while back), I found Floris, Antica Farmacista, even Patou... but most times it's just boxes of Donald Trump: The FRAGRANCE, Grey Flannel, Elizabeth Taylor, and JOOP!, all of which have been picked through and manhandled to the point where they're barely recognizable.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 7th February 2007 at 01:37 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

T. J. Maxx? Pshaw, no skin of my nose.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

The english ones, TK Maxx over here, still have them. Something I've wondered: over here this store puts all the fragrances in to a kind of thick, plastic, security sealed bag. This can make them hard to identify, does this happen in the States too?

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35
    The english ones, TK Maxx over here, still have them. Something I've wondered: over here this store puts all the fragrances in to a kind of thick, plastic, security sealed bag. This can make them hard to identify, does this happen in the States too?
    No, in fact most of the boxes are ripped open. They just started to put a sticker on the boxes as an extra seal to prevent people from doing just that. It looked like it still wasn't working so hot.

Also, I went to 2 T.J. Maxx stores one was business as usual and the other had eliminated the men's scents. There was a B*men thrown in with the ladies scents and that was it.

A big fan of both TJMaxx and Marshall's here, found lots of nice designer fragrances at a fraction of their price. Yes, they sometimes do package them in heavy duty cellophane here and even put a sticker that it is their policy to ensure that packages do not get opened up. Meantime, I stopped by our Marshall's last week and was surprised by a poor selection -- one thought them shelves would be bursting with bottles for Valentine's Day, but they were half-empty. Many of the boxes had a red "reduced price" sticker on them, and Guerlain's AAs in 4.2 oz. bottles were 12.00 instead of their regular 14.99.

Thumbs down Re: TJ Maxx...no more frags???

I sadly discovered the same thing at my local Maxx, and I was hoping that would bolster the nearby Marshall's selection, but the latter is still serving up the same old stuff. I am also disappointed that Marshall's seems to have filled a lot of the frag shelving with gift sets, leaving very little to explore. Both seem to have gone downhill lately in this regard (we are likely an extreme minority of customers, though), but Maxx has taken EVERYTHING out for men...I can still find a few women's bottles near the registers, but that's it.

The fragrance companies are going to have to do something with the unwanted bottles. If they are not at TJ Maxx they are going to have to show up somewhere, be it some other store, outlet malls, Internet retailers or...? Also TJ Maxx is an opportunistic store, buying what they can get a good deal on rather then stocking a consistent inventory so this may just be an aberration.

I've gotten a few good things at TJ Maxx but overall the store in my area has mainly stocked things which have little value to me.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Having managed in a retail for years I noticed they did a reset on frags, They moved gift sets to the front and relocted the individule bottles. Also I noticed a few in plastic... ala Wal-Mart. I bet they are heading in that direction.
    -iStink

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35

Depends on where the store is: out here in the 'burbs, the bottles are free to roam outside their boxes. In "less genteel" settings, I have seen the fragrance boxes in hard plastic cases to make the tamper/theft proof. And yes, this makes it hard to sample.
    mc

I've noticed that the fragrance section has been very small.....I hope that they so not do away with fragrances.....I have really found some gems here for sure.
    Gary

Just back from my local TJ Maxx here in Seattle. Things seem normal with the fragrance selection. I go there maybe once a month and look to see if there is anything of interest. So I would say that it has been a good 3 to 5 weeks since I've been there last and I did notice new stock has been put out since my last visit; nothing I would buy but then I'm currently trying to contract my collection to a more manageable size so I'm really not in a purchasing mode except for something special.

Bottom line, nothing to suggest TJ Maxx is getting out of the Fragrance business at my local store.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I went in to TJ Max one day to find it empty of frags, even the shelves were gone, but loe and behold in a few weeks everything was back. Do you people have Ross's? It's another place to get very nice frags for practically nothing.

I worked at a TJ Maxx up until about Thanksgiving, and in the company newsletter at time they said they wanted to push more "High-End" fragrances for the holidays. I still have many friends that work there, so I'll go talk to them and see if they've heard anything.

I stopped at a TJ Maxx and Marshalls last week on my way back from work and I also noticed a very scarce selection compared to just a month ago, in fact they didn't even have a dedicated fragrance section anymore, it was just a bit here and there scattered between the shoes and belts. I thought it was a bit odd, even before I read this thread... so yes, something is up.
    On a positive note I snagged some Guerlain allegoria stuff that was marked down to $10 for large bottles.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman
    I worked at a TJ Maxx up until about Thanksgiving, and in the company newsletter at time they said they wanted to push more "High-End" fragrances for the holidays. I still have many friends that work there, so I'll go talk to them and see if they've heard anything.
    TJ Maxx now has this exclusive "Runway" concept with high-end designer stuff and prices supposedly not that much different from regular retail... who knows...
    Last edited by maksidrom; 9th February 2007 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost