Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

Gourmands and sweet frags in general are not my thing, but I used to love A*Men and New Haarlem. I also liked Yohji Homme (more of a fougère) but it failed to satisfy in a consummate manner. Hanae Mori is one of the few I could never wear.

I wasn't initially impressed with Borneo 1834 but after acquiring a full bell jar and living with the juice for awhile, that all changed. It's superb, oozes class, and can be worn in a certain degree of heat. Cannabis Santal is also a high quality fragrance (with plenty of sophistication) with manages to stay interesting and extremely wearable.

If I had to choose one, it would be Borneo 1834.

Redcomet, the OP said Cannabis Santal was too "wistful", which I don't understand because it's quite a good "choco" source. I think New Haarlem by Bond no.9 is excellent as is Rochas Man which I've only recently bought. But Cannabis Santal is so good.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Re: is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

A*men doesn't have a chocolate note in it. The womens(Angel)version, however, does list caramel and chocolate.
    Maybe the sweet coffee, tonkabean combo reminds of chocolate, but it not a note listed in the official note list.
    I remember receiving an A*men cd once from TM parfums( for PC) use that listed the notes one by one with pics. On Osmoz. com there's also no mention of chocolate in A*men:http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...RFUM&LANGUE=en

It's listed in the Basenotes directory however. I dunno why that is. Maybe Angel and Amen got mixed up , and it's understandable cause it's a minor change.
    However, the smell (and taste)of pure coffee and the smell of chocolate is differend in real life.

By the way, I don't like A*Men that much anymore.
    Last edited by eric; 11th February 2007 at 03:23 PM.

Has anyone suggested Ayala's "Guilt"?
    Very chocolately , deep and delightfully gourmand.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache