Code of Conduct

Default is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

hi-- i love chocolate as a note, esp during the winter; it taps into something deep in me. i'm looking for a chocolate-based fragrance that is sophisticated yet fabulous: something that i could wear with a fashion suit. is there such a thing? or is chocolate too quirky to fit into this category? (btw: i pull of woman's perfume well, so sky's the limit....)

thanks for helping this relative newcomer to the world of fragrances.....
    Last edited by nycflaneur; 8th October 2010 at 06:24 AM.

Default Re: is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

Try Hanae Mori's men's fragrance. I think it might be more what you're looking for...

Bond New Haarlem is another, as is Yohji Homme (although, I'm not 100% sure there is chocolate in the Yohji, but there are a number of things in there that would go along with what you might like).
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I would recommend Borneo 1834 if you can get your hands on it. It is a mixture of dark chocolate and patchouli. It lasts without being cloying.

SL's Borneo 1834 is the one chocolate - in this case, cocoa - scent that I find wearable. Not the typical cloying gourmand, it's dark, rich, and enveloping, but since it's a Palais Royal exclusive you'll need a Euroconnection.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Givenchy Very Irresistable

Green Chocolate
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I will third Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. Its like a less sophisticated (interms of composition) version of A*Men - but as a result of being less loud and less compositionally complex, it comes off as a more sophisticated offering. I prefer A*Men, but Borneo's dry chocolate accord is a welcome relief at times.

As others have mentioned, its an "exclusif". No, its not worth the big bucks, and its not worth paying for a trip to the funky Palais Royal. Instead, just mist A*Men and achieve more or less the same effect.
    Last edited by zztopp; 8th February 2007 at 07:30 PM.
    -

You should give Guerlain L'Instant a try. Classy and won't sufocate you.
    Another good option is Rochas Man.

Along with the other recommendations, I'd like to also add Animale Animale. If my memory serves me correctly, it's the first gourmand made for men. The chocolate accord is tempered with tobacco and patchouli so you won't come off smelling like a Hershey bar.

Thumbs up Re: is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

Ayala Moriel's Film Noir. She's a natural perfumer, and the scent is of incredible quality. It's chocolate, but like a mexican dark chocolate, with some spicyness or coffee-ness to it. Myrrh adds a spicyness and keeps the chocolate in check. The whole concoction smells like what velvet feels like. I think it would be very apropos for a NYC night scene.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Borneo without a doubt. Not only is it wonderful, but you aren't going to smell it on every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

Also, S-Perfume Lust has a wonderful cacao note that is similar to Borneo, but with a musky drydown. Lust is also not badly priced: $27 for .5 ounce

Coze 02 (2002)
    by Parfumerie Generale is worth checking out. They will post you a sample if you send a nice email. The chocolate note in it is dark,rich and luxurious.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125837.html
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Coze 02 (2002)
    by Parfumerie Generale is worth checking out. They will post you a sample if you send a nice email. The chocolate note in it is dark,rich and luxurious.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125837.html
    Where might one buy this? I did a google but could not find a source.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Institution

Try Elixir des Merveilles - chocolate covered candied orange peel!

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Try Hanae Mori's men's fragrance. I think it might be more what you're looking for....

I second Hanae Mori. Too much chocolate for my taste but you might love it.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    You should give Guerlain L'Instant a try. Classy and won't sufocate you.
    Another good option is Rochas Man.
    I'll second RCavs on the L'Instant. I've also heard great things about the Extreme version, but have not had the chance to try it. I also think B*Men is a better choice for the chocolate note than A*Men, it's not overwhelmed by the tonka/coffee/tar/bug spray thing.

There's chocolate in my L'Instant? and I swore I would never fall for a gourmand scent.
    anyways:
    here's what the ladies had to say not to long ago

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=187555

and you can search for more choclate threads above.

Chocolate in my L'Instant... [muttering]

Instant chocolate?!

I'd definitely recommend giving Mat; Chocolate another try- I find it to be pretty sophisticated after it dries down a bit.

Dior Homme is another option. Not much chocolate per se, but there's a dry cocoa-powder quality to it that I enjoy.

Comptoir Sud Pacifique - Amour de Cacao
    The Body Shop - Amorito
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I will third Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. Its like a less sophisticated (interms of composition) version of A*Men -

To me it's exactly the contrary... I find Borneo to be far more sophisticated and in a totally different world.
    A*men, together with the majority of the on the shelves chocolate or coffee scents are all not the real chocolate or coffe, but just a sickeningly cloying and (sometimes) fakely synthetic smelling clone of what the collective imaginary pictures out they should smell. The result is often a gross mishmatch of clashing and heavily cloying gourmand notes like if a shortsighted housewife without her glasses started reading a recipe and mixing ingredients...
    Borneo, instead, has a very refined and unsweet toasted cocoa bean note (***note I haven't said chocolate!) that's absolutely sophisticated: my only complaint it's that though the scent lasts long, the cocoa note appears loudly only for few time.
    Not cloying gourmands like this are definitely a rarity!

Thumbs up Re: is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod

Dan
    Dan try this;

www.theperfumeshoppe.com

(a very nice and kind lady and really helpful)

.... and Yves Rocher's Néonatura cocon:

I read it's basically Borneo without the cloying mothball note. It's very very cheap. I don't know Borneo yet, so I can't compare them myself. All I know is there have been several raves here, Pigeon Murderer hates it and Tigrushka has both, Borneo and Néonatura cocon. I even read the reviews on MUA - it seems it's a good one ....
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent

To me it's exactly the contrary... I find Borneo to be far more sophisticated and in a totally different world.
    A*men, together with the majority of the on the shelves chocolate or coffee scents are all not the real chocolate or coffe, but just a sickeningly cloying and (sometimes) fakely synthetic smelling clone of what the collective imaginary pictures out they should smell. The result is often a gross mishmatch of clashing and heavily cloying gourmand notes like if a shortsighted housewife without her glasses started reading a recipe and mixing ingredients...
    Borneo is definitely lacking many of the notes in A*Men (most prominently the lavender) and while the quality of ingredients might be a tad higher in Borneo, its pretty linear and dry (cocoa might be it). As a result of its less complicated composition, it comes off as a bit more restrained and well behaved in its performance (a point which I mentioned in my previous post).

Calling A*Men a "shelf store" choco/gourmand scent might be doing it injustice - its a quality scent and easily competes head to head with Borneo (no matter the "niche" classification) and surpasses it in many areas.
    -

zztopp,
    It was not my intention to use the "on the shelves" definition to say "poor" or "mediocre" but just to intend widely available, so no competition was intended by my side.
    And again, I perfectly see A*men being a structured concoction and not linear at all, but in a way I don't like that much as i find it somehow clashing where I see borneo to be only appearently more linear having actually a structured architecture too but more melted, balanced and less in your face. And trust me, it's not a matter of niche or not niche, but again it's only my opinion after all...
    Btw, when youll be in the mood I'd like to swap a a*men bottle for a bottle of borneo...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent

Borneo, instead, has a very refined and unsweet toasted cocoa bean note (***note I haven't said chocolate!) that's absolutely sophisticated: my only complaint it's that though the scent lasts long, the cocoa note appears loudly only for few time.
    Not cloying gourmands like this are definitely a rarity!
    I second this opinion. There is no real chocolate in A*Men! This some hideous cheap synthetic that smells like the worst chocolate icecream available! Even cheap milk chocolate smells better than that (at least in continental europe), not to mention fine dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa (70% +).
    Even L'Instant and Dior Homme have better cocoa notes than A*Men.

I think I've found a great chocolate scent, and for anyone in the UK it's really worth checking out. It is in fact a room scent (I know, I know, but hear me out). British Home Stores (BHS) sell a Chocolate Room spray for £3.50 (about $7.00) and it's a knockout. It reminds me of Bond New Haarlem a bit. It's pure cocoa through and through, dark and bitter almost like a chocolate liqueur, and lasts ages. I saw it today and remembered reading this thread and sprayed some on my sleeve today at about 4.30pm, it's nearly 9.00pm and it's still going strong. My sister just smelt it and said it was like a really expensive cup of hot chocolate! Really beautiful and great quality, I think BHS are missing out on making a killing with this stuff, and I can't imagine why anyone would want their room to smell of this, it seems too sophisticated for something like that.
    Anyway, as I say, anyone in the UK has nothing to lose by checking this out, it's a real stunner!
    Last edited by liam1977; 9th February 2007 at 07:57 PM.

chocolate?
    Borneo
    and of course - Dior's Eau Noire - chocolate with gourmand spices
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

summer means fireflys

Since you said that women's frags were ok, you might give Bulgari Blu Notte a try, but NOT the men's version. I once described it as sophisticated like a chocolate martini. My one complaint against it is it's longevity ... it doesn't last very well, pity ...

Here's the notes:
    Top Notes: Iris, Galanga
    Middle Notes: Vodka
    Base Notes: Dark Chocolate
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I like a lot of these scents but i don't really find any of them particularly "elegant".
    If you want to try out yet another chocolate scent: Mat; Chocolat, but this lacks in elegance as well, maybe you want to layer with something more like fresh woods?
    I personally love Exilir de Merveilles and Cocoon (as well as the original, wich doesn't have chocolate).

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod

Dan

http://www.parfumerie-generale.com/
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by liam1977
    I think I've found a great chocolate scent, and for anyone in the UK it's really worth checking out. It is in fact a room scent (I know, I know, but hear me out). British Home Stores (BHS) sell a Chocolate Room spray for £3.50 (about $7.00) and it's a knockout. It reminds me of Bond New Haarlem a bit. It's pure cocoa through and through, dark and bitter almost like a chocolate liqueur, and lasts ages. I saw it today and remembered reading this thread and sprayed some on my sleeve today at about 4.30pm, it's nearly 9.00pm and it's still going strong. My sister just smelt it and said it was like a really expensive cup of hot chocolate! Really beautiful and great quality, I think BHS are missing out on making a killing with this stuff, and I can't imagine why anyone would want their room to smell of this, it seems too sophisticated for something like that.
    Anyway, as I say, anyone in the UK has nothing to lose by checking this out, it's a real stunner!
    I'll definitely look out for that!
    Last edited by GenuineImitationLife; 10th February 2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Surprised no one said Cannabis Santal yet. Skip the HM who's too busy frolicing in the flower fields. Move past the A*Men who's still stuck in that god-awful tarpit. Go straight to the Cannabis Santal who's totally zenning out eating a finely carved chocolate buddha while burning sandalwood for heat.

Gourmands and sweet frags in general are not my thing, but I used to love A*Men and New Haarlem. I also liked Yohji Homme (more of a fougère) but it failed to satisfy in a consummate manner. Hanae Mori is one of the few I could never wear.

I wasn't initially impressed with Borneo 1834 but after acquiring a full bell jar and living with the juice for awhile, that all changed. It's superb, oozes class, and can be worn in a certain degree of heat. Cannabis Santal is also a high quality fragrance (with plenty of sophistication) with manages to stay interesting and extremely wearable.

If I had to choose one, it would be Borneo 1834.

Redcomet, the OP said Cannabis Santal was too "wistful", which I don't understand because it's quite a good "choco" source. I think New Haarlem by Bond no.9 is excellent as is Rochas Man which I've only recently bought. But Cannabis Santal is so good.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Re: is there a sophisticated chocolate out there?

A*men doesn't have a chocolate note in it. The womens(Angel)version, however, does list caramel and chocolate.
    Maybe the sweet coffee, tonkabean combo reminds of chocolate, but it not a note listed in the official note list.
    I remember receiving an A*men cd once from TM parfums( for PC) use that listed the notes one by one with pics. On Osmoz. com there's also no mention of chocolate in A*men:http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...RFUM&LANGUE=en

It's listed in the Basenotes directory however. I dunno why that is. Maybe Angel and Amen got mixed up , and it's understandable cause it's a minor change.
    However, the smell (and taste)of pure coffee and the smell of chocolate is differend in real life.

By the way, I don't like A*Men that much anymore.
    Last edited by eric; 11th February 2007 at 03:23 PM.

Has anyone suggested Ayala's "Guilt"?
    Very chocolately , deep and delightfully gourmand.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache