Code of Conduct

Default Musk Comparisons

Well, the bitter citrus is going pretty well, so why stop there? We've got Vetiver, we've got sandalwood, bitter citrus, how about musk? Since there are TONS of fragrances with musk in them, let's try and stick to fragrances that have DOMINANT musk notes all throughout.

I'll start with just a few to get us started. There are some obvious ones missing here (especially MKK, MR, and all of the various Avaluxe Musks), so I'll leave those to members with more acquaintance:

Light, fresh, and/or dry musks:
    1. Philosophy Amen: Light, fresh, clean, but with a distinctive musk. Also very affordable (I think the retail is $35 for 2oz?)
    2. Keiko Mercheri Musc: Just received this one; a very light but DRY musk (like a lot of Mecheri I've tried), not particularly earthy or animalic. Quite different from Kiel's or MKK, but unique and worth a try. (EDIT: Wearing this one all day, it stuck close to the skin and I didn't get much... but I just got back from playing raquetball and WOW does some heat and sweat bring this one alive.)

Sweeter musks:
    3. L'artisan Mure et Musc, MeM EXTREME, etc.: probably the most innovative of the musk scents I've smelled; the dark berry note on top adds enough sweetness and fruitness to keep things interesting. Also not particularly animalic.
    4. LV Musc: My favorite musk so far; rich, deep, warm, dry but not TOO dry, and full without being too "light" (the Mecheri is almost imperceptible at times), nor too heavy/dirty (MKK).
    5. Bond no. 9 Fire Island: I get suntan lotion and musk. I know a lot don't like it, but I think it's a great musk for spring/summer.

Linear, animalic, "heady", musks:
    6. Kiel's Musk: Excellent value in Musk. Dry, warm, musky, earthy, and reasonably priced.
    7. Helmut Lang EDC/EDP: Stays close to the skin, warm, buttery, quite rich, but with a definite "skin" sort of musk. I love both of them and layering them both together is really nice.
    8. Helmut Lang Velviona: For concept, this one gets four stars, but for an actual fragrance, I didn't see the point. Built around a single synthetic musk, it was one of those "non-scent" scents... it took a while to "warm up" and be discernible on the skin. And, even then, there wasn't much there going on. It was a VERY limited release (500 bottles, maybe?) and cost a fortune, so it barely made even a ripple in the fragrance water.

What else? Again, let's try and keep to dominant musks, not those with a tiny hint of something musky buried way down deep. If we do that, this list will run into the thousands!
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 8th February 2007 at 11:02 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: Musk Comparisons

ck be is a favorite of mine. very clean and stays close to the skin with decent sillage.

I prefer all of the MPG Muskissime series (rose, fraucheur, etc) over the L'Artisan Mure et Musc frags. Check 'em out !
    -

I love musk scents!!

My favourites are Villoresi Musk, Mure et Musc (maybe a bit femenine to my tastes) and Musc de Java...

Also I would like to try Musk Kublai Khan, a love-hate fragance, very animalic musk as I heard...

CB I Hate Perfume Musk Reinvention: Not a typical musk- I get a warm, berry like musk that's linear and heady, but not animalistic. Other people have described it as shockingly animal.

SL Muscs Kublai Khan: similar to Kiehls musk, but far more (IMHO) interesting: it manages to be both more refined and more animal. I am in thrall to this scent.

Musc Ravageur: Starts off as a more (what I think of) as more lady-like, homey sort of musk: vanilla, cinammon and clove along with a less in-your-(ahem) face musk make this creamy musk goodness.

Blog Entries

I stand by my statement that the only thing truly musky about Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur is it's name (and maybe the price)! This is pure hot chocolate on me... cinnamon vanilla oriental. I know that it has musk listed as a note but it seems present only to support the amber vanilla rather than dominate in an animalic manner. Not a savage musk molecule to be found anywhere!

My most loved Musks are:

The Body Shop Mostly Musk - the scent of clean sweat upon my lady lover's stomach. A smooth softly woody (cedarwood, sandalwood) musk. Very sensual and erotic to wear - subliminally x-rated.

Mayfair Just Musk Cologne (vintage) - think Vivienne Westwood Boudoir or YSL Kouros minus the funky green, floral, detergent notes. A potent animalic 70's musk. Very sexy.

The Body Shop Japanese Musk - this is the sister to Mostly Musk but much cleaner / less erotic in initial expression. The vintage of this is much greener and aldehydic in opening but also more animalic in drydown. So far, the current version still has a lot of the softly woody animalic base that just gets better and better the longer it is on the skin.

Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - perplexing animalic musk. Sometimes I get the 'used horse blanket' accord and other times it wears as a sexy mature white floral musk. I do love it either way.

Ava Luxe Rasa Extreme - I have been singing the praises of this one for a little while now, so I shall try not to bore you. This is an amazing animalic musk, as sexy and perplexing as SL MKK but definitely its own animal. 4 potent musks from around the world blended with civet and ambergris and shrouded in a diaphanous veil of seductive rose attar. True love. I am currently saving my pennies so that I can purchase a big bottle of the parfum. A little goes a long way. For those of you of a more sensitive nature there is the plain Rasa which is completely tame.

Nemat International Musk Supreme - This is great for layering under other oils / perfumes to add a little raunch and complexity to a blend. A straight animalic musk; very smooth and rich. A little dirty though initially not as antisocial as Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan.

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk - I find this to be a wonderfully powdery (think talc) rose scent with an animalic musk base. I love this best in the summer when the heat makes to musk sizzle on the skin. Coty L'Aimant PdT and JC Brosseau Ombre Rose L'Original are very similar but with slightly less animalic musk. I am looking forward to trying them (layered with Lentheric Just Musk or Nemat International Musk Supreme) to see how they compare in summer.

Jovan Musk Oil - I would be quite interested to see how the man's version differs from the ladies. I imagine that it will be rawer and more woody. I would love to try it. I discovered Jovan Musk Oil by accident but now would not be without it. It is a straight musk scent, quite timeless. Very wearable. Clean enough to wear to work but subtly sexy enough to inspire compliments and seduce.

There are more which I shall add as I recall them...

Raw, animalic musk lovers may also wish to checkout Ava Luxe's Kama Intense / Extreme. This is a similar animalic wild musk like Rasa but with much less rose and ostensibily more masculine. Potent, raw, wild. Again there is a more socially acceptable version available also. Ava Luxe has a great collection of different types of musk which are well worth checking out...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Smile Re: Musk Comparisons

Right now my favorite musk is LV Musk. I like Musc Kublai Khan but ( dare I say it) I wish it came in an extreme version. I used to really like Jovan musk but I can't seem to find a more refined scent that gives me the same kick that I like a musk to have. I want a red butted monkey musk. I want to smell like the Neanderthal man that I would like to be.

I am sorry but Keihls just didn't do it for me. There seemed to be something bitter in it that turned me off. Maybe you guys could make a suggestion.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO
    Right now my favorite musk is LV Musk. I like Musc Kublai Khan but ( dare I say it) I wish it came in an extreme version. I used to really like Jovan musk but I can't seem to find a more refined scent that gives me the same kick that I like a musk to have. I want a red butted monkey musk. I want to smell like the Neanderthal man that I would like to be.
    I'm surprised you like LV's that much when you're really in search of something utterly foul. But I admit I'm somewhere along the same line: I worship both LV's Musk and MKK although I find the both of them potent enough.

Perhaps you could try to layer a musk (most obvious choice would be the MKK) with a leather like Royal English leather, Peau d'Espagne or Spanish Leather Cologne (although this one might be a bit too clean) for an ultimate caveman experience :wave:
    Last edited by apekrul; 9th February 2007 at 06:58 AM.

My faves:

Muscs Koublaï Khan - the most animalic musk scent I know! At its worst it can smell like a barnyard, a herd of cows and cowpats... but if it suits you, it's gorgeous.

FM Musc Ravageur - I find this more ambery than musky, a spicy Oriental with vanilla, lavender and citrus notes, lovely stuff!

LV Musk - sweet, rosy and powdery musk scent.

Helmut Lang - this one smells like clean sweat, lightly tanned skin warmed up in the sun, casual but elegant.

Mûre et Musc - a great feelgood scent, lovely innovative combo of musk and blackberry, which is very versatile and suits any occasion.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Great suggestions. I used to love those old nitro musks. I probably have lots of exposure to those dangerous chemicals... Ha. I'm glad there are so many new and intersting musks again.

Do any of you muscophiles like Royal Copenhagen's Musk? I'm looking for a recommendation…

:: sounds of crickets chirping; wind blowing; a tumbleweed passes through ::
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Do any of you muscophiles like Royal Copenhagen's Musk? I'm looking for a recommendation…

:: sounds of crickets chirping; wind blowing; a tumbleweed passes through ::
    I have never tried this so cannot say yay or nay...

However I would be happy to swap a decant with you should you purchase a bottle..
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I have never tried this so cannot say yay or nay...

However I would be happy to swap a decant with you should you purchase a bottle..
    Now there's an idea! The only review on the site says that it is a musky Chanel 5 for men!!!! (So really, it could be anything.)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard
    ck be is a favorite of mine. very clean and stays close to the skin with decent sillage.
    Yes!!!! CK be has white musk throughout, and it's simply wonderful. A staple in my wardrobe for over a decade.

Gaultier2 is my favorite "sweet" musk.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Bulgari's Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc is at its root a beautiful white musk skin scent! The white tea note is pretty much gone within the first hour, leaving behind an enchanting, soft musky skin scent. Definitely NOT like MKK! Another scent that I appreciate as a solid musk scent is Nino Cerruti Pour Homme. The combination of cumin with musk, amidst 100 or more other notes, intensifies the musky nature of this scent for me.

I just tried Incense Musk from Ava Luxe for the first time a few evenings ago. This is essentially a perfume oil that is very heavy and formidably longlasting. The musk is featured in equal parts with the incense, and the result is the generation of a slightly fruity, grape-like character that I pick up amidst the strong musk. I've noticed this before with high concentrations of musk essential oil when I wore Medina Musk from Madina Oils. Sadly, my wife doesn't like these type of scents, nor the patchouli equivalents.