Code of Conduct

Default Discontinued scents that DO/DO NOT worth a premium.

Most of you would agree that fragrances like Havana (I own this one) or Donna Karan Fuel (I have never sampled it) in general worth the amount of money asked in the market.But it could not be easily justified to pay about 130 Euros for a bottle of,let's say,Heaven by Chopard (I have never sampled it,but I think,for unknown reasons,that I have to have it ).
    Then,you could propose some discontinued scents that fit into each category.
    Cheers!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Default Re: Discontinued scents that DO/DO NOT worth a premium.

Worth the effort:

All of the Helmut Lang fragrances are worth it, although they have been discontinued for a short enough time that they still aren't absurdly overpriced ($40-60 usually). These include Helmut Lang EDC, EDP, and Cuiron.

CSP Safranier (Sultan Safron) is another really good one. It, too, is fairly easily obtained with just a little extra searching, although it is discontinued. It's by far the best safron scent I've come across.

Not worth the effort:

Yohji Homme is one I go back and forth about. It's a neat fragrance, but I don't know if it would be worth paying much more than retail price. It's gourmandy, but not as light as Hanae Mori (which seems a VERY wearable gourmand) and not as dark and heavy as New Haarlem (which is almost delectable).

One I think is definitely NOT worth the effort is Jil Sander Feeling Man. People talk about how wonderful this one is all the time and, while I think it's a neat fragrance, if I spent $100+ for it, I'd be really disappointed. It smells like an 80's designer frag, definitely not a lost masterpiece.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Discontinued scents ... along with any other discontinued retail item ... have value only to someone willing to pay for it. Just the fact that it's discontinued and expensive seems to always add to it's mystique. Especially the expensive part. I remember some years back when Reebok released the "pump" sneaker. The CEO was saying how the $200 + price tag created a lot of "excitement". They made their money until people realized it was just another crappy Reebok sneaker with a little gadget "pump" inside. And just look at the Beanie Baby craze a few years back. The ridiculous prices people were paying for them and now, even though most are discontinued, they're nearly worthless.

On a different note, my personal opinion is that looking at the prices of some Creeds, Serge Lutens, L'Artisans, and Bond No. 9's that are mediocre at best ... I'll gladly pay $150 + for my DK Fuel because I love it. However, some others like Balenciaga Pour Homme, Tiffany for Men, and Patou Pour Homme ... I wouldn't pay anything because I just didn't like them.

As always, "worth" is a personal choice.

Ungaro I, definitely.

My SotD, Iquitos by Alain Delon is the equal of Czech and Speake No.88 for rose-led masculine frags.

I also thought it shared similarities with that another discontinued classic JHL. I've only worn them a couple of times each, but on that basis I would say that I wouldn't pay a huge sum for JHL (he says donning a tin hat )
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    My SotD, Iquitos by Alain Delon is the equal of Czech and Speake No.88 for rose-led masculine frags.

I also thought it shared similarities with that another discontinued classic JHL. I've only worn them a couple of times each, but on that basis I would say that I wouldn't pay a huge sum for JHL (he says donning a tin hat )
    Yep, I forgot to mention Iquitos on my list, but I agree with you it's one worth finding. Sometimes, you can find a bottle VERY reasonably (in the $30 range), but those bottles are quickly disappearing.

It will be a great loss if Helmut Lang -Cuiron is not brought back at some point. I have half of a 3.3 ounce left and two back up 1.6 ounce bottles. One of my most complimented frags.

You can still find the 1.6 ounce bottle around for about 45 dollars on one site I know of, but I dread the day when I see 'not available' on that site as well.

I also have 3 3.4 ounce bottles of Havana stored away that I got for $50 per bottle here at a local fragrance store in Memphis. They are all out now...never to get anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    It will be a great loss if Helmut Lang -Cuiron is not brought back at some point. I have half of a 3.3 ounce left and two back up 1.6 ounce bottles. One of my most complimented frags.
    I'm with you, Barry. My biggest hope is that, since Helmut Lang was purchased by a new brand to be relaunched this spring, is that they will also relaunch the fragrances (I have no idea if the purchase price also included the fragrance licenses or not... but I sure hope so) The Lang scents are, to my nose at least, among the most interesting designer fragrances of the past ten years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    Ungaro I, definitely.

I love Ungaro I and find it worth a high price.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

In my opinion, JHL is definitely not worth it. It's a bad version of Opium EdT for Men. The EdP version of Opium doesn't smell that much like either, and I think it's the best of the three. Opium (I think it's discontinued) EdP is definitely worth the money.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Basenotes Institution

Worth it, IMO:

The Series 1 Leaves scents, by Comme de Garcons
    J.H.L.

Not worth it, IMO:

Yohji Yamamato

I haven't gone very far into discontinued fragrances, but my experience so far:

JHL - worth it for me (neither Opium edt nor edp works for me)

Jules - still deciding. Interesting, well-made, it's going to take a few more wears to get a handle on it. This is definitely one of those times where the thrill of the chase got ahold of me.

Smile Re: Discontinued scents that DO/DO NOT worth a premium.

Lately I have been on a discontinued fragrance trip. I try to find a mini or a sample tube if I can. I have been caught unawares by buying a whole bottle blind to find I can't stand the frag. This happened with Iquitos. Had to wash the stuff off quickly. I became nauseated. Out of the Ungaro's I found number II to be the most wearable for me. I liked Jil sanders background but none of the other jil sander scents.

JHL I love and also Jules. Giogio of beverly hills and giorgio vip seem quite similar in my opinion. The VIP seems slightly softer and more refined. Not quite as sharp. Phantagarow " my swap partner" thought giorgio smelled like soap to him. I think derby is worth it as well as patou and patou prive. Fuel is definatly worth the bucks.

I definatly like some of the discontinued stuff better than alot of the niche stuff that is out there. Of course I will never stop sampling, and sampling and sampling. Oh well. You get the Idea.

Rick

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Cacharel Nemo is worth it....barely. One of those hard to love, but easy to like types for me.

Gucci Rush is worth it for the nice smell, but I would hesitate due to the crap lasting power.

Helmut Lang Cuiron's discontinuation is one of the great tragedies in the modern perfume industry. Totally worth it, even if it were twice the price it is now.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 8th February 2007 at 01:31 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

JHL is not discontinued. I see it at Bloomingdales all the time.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    JHL is not discontinued. I see it at Bloomingdales all the time.
    Grab it! It is listed here as discontinued. Estee Lauder do not advertise it on any of their websites.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Grab it! It is listed here as discontinued. Estee Lauder do not advertise it on any of their websites.
    Recommended. Even if you don't like it, you can sell it online for an easy $85. Or you could swap it to some of the people on this board who like it a lot.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    Recommended. Even if you don't like it, you can sell it online for an easy $85. Or you could swap it to some of the people on this board who like it a lot.
    - Rich
    Like Azsmells says, I see JHL at Bloomingdales all the time. I really don't
    think it's discontinued. Good grief, if I could take the hassle of
    packing and shipping I could make a profit selling it on Ebay using
    a retailer as my supplier.

hha that joke of a seller on ebay estrada aka "hard to find perfumes" is selling it for like $125 on ebay, it's $65 at Bloomingdales!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    hha that joke of a seller on ebay estrada aka "hard to find perfumes" is selling it for like $125 on ebay, it's $65 at Bloomingdales!
    Nordstrom sells it at most of their stores, too, and at the same price.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I'm a big fan of many discontinued scents such as Havana, DK Fuel, and Balenciaga Pour Homme. However, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for any of them. If you look hard enough, you could find good deals on just about any frag.