Code of Conduct
    INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Default What fragrance would Haruki Murakami wear?

Japan's and soon to be the world's greatest author.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What fragrance would Haruki Murakami wear?

probably stuff that hasn't been invented yet. my bet: should CdG release a "spirit" series, HM will be all over it. or should i say it would be all over him...

maybe l'antimatiere until then. or something by olivia giacobetti. i haven't tried en passant, but sounds like it could work. or maybe costes.

alas, this post just reminds me how much i miss the luxury of reading (i'm a pretty recent dad...). i've enjoyed the few things of murakami';s that i've read (with the exception of the subway book...)
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

strange question, but i see him either with a rich oriental (like boucheron jaipur homme or YSL opium por homme) or something simple and fresh like Crown spiced limes. my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I read the "Norwegian Wood" many years ago in the Chinese translated version. He is an excellent writer and very expressive and soulful when he create his characters.
    Perhaps Fumerie Turque... I have a feeling that most of the good writers have to be scented with tobacco in order to write a good novel...

I think he might wear one of the CdG incense series. I love his writing. I'm doing a thesis on him.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I imagine him in something very "old school" and maybe from the USA even. I don't have enough data on such fragrances to be any more specific! But whatever goes with coca cola and marlboro cigarettes... something I have never smelled like habit rouge.

For some reason I have the idea of him being fastidiously retro in his personal style. I did read this not exactly probing profile thing in the first issue of men's vogue about him and I think it said the cuffs on his jeans were precisely fixed in some particular way or something like that.

A fragrance for the "hardboiled".
    Last edited by supermarky; 9th February 2007 at 10:32 AM.

My first thought was Kenzo. Any of them, depending on the situation.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/...i/site.php?id=

more info might even include his fragrance tastes
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th February 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't think he'd wear much of anything, or if he did, I think it would be VERY light and subtle. He's quite shy, especially press shy, and doesn't give many interviews. In Japan, it's sort of expected of "celebrities" that they play to the press, especially appearing on nightly talkshows-cum-odd-gameshows-cum-variety shows (not just movie stars or musicians, but writers too. Hell, there's even this flower-arranger who is on television all the time.)

As such, he doesn't look to stand out and is very picky about cleanliness. So, if he wore anything, I think it would be very light. Maybe some kind of aftershave, but I'd be surprised if he wore any actual fragrance.

Now MISHIMA, on the other hand, was something of a dandy. I could totally picture him spritzing on some Jicky. But, not so much with Murakami.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on reading Mishima also. I remember the right wing disturbances he caused and the worldwide news of his death.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    I plan on reading Mishima also. I remember the right wing disturbances he caused and the worldwide news of his death.
    He's definitely worth the read, as is Kawabata, although all three of them are nothing alike. Murakami's work fits well with American audiences, because he's so interested in western pop culture. Mishima and Kawabata can be a little tougher to connect with.... but they're still worth the read.

Anyway, as for Japanese men and fragrances, in my experience, I find that many of them just don't like fragrances. More fashionable types often will wear something, but even then the fragrances that sell well there are typically quite light (D&G light blue, Miyake, etc.) Culturally, incense and such are used very heavily, but in temples and not on the body.

Bathing in Japan is much more relished and ritualized than anywhere else I've been, and many guys I know don't want to smell like anything other than "clean" (meaning, actually clean, not Clinique Happy or Issey Miyake clean).
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Murakami (one of my FAVORITE authors) would probably smell like Odeur 53 by Comme de Garcons...a little bit of this, a little bit of that, very modern & very strange.

I agree that Murakami would not smell of anything obvious or overtly potent. It would be a minimalist and abstract fragrance with restraint. I think CdG No. 2 Man is appropriate, but I can also see him in one of CdG's more suggestive fragrances, like No. 3 series Zagorsk (oddly enough, I don't smell him in Kyoto).
    Last edited by mochi227; 9th February 2007 at 04:07 PM.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for jumping in a couple of days late, but I thought this was interesting and it hasn't been mentioned yet! I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle a couple of days ago, and a significant plot point revolves around the narrator's wife wearing an unfamiliar perfume. It's described as being of the Christian Dior label and having the fragrance of a white flower, perfect for a spring morning. It is obviously Diorissimo, though it's not mentioned by name. I was so excited to realize that I recognized the scent in the book!

I figured that this means Murakami does pay attention to fragrances, and I'd love to know what he wears. Somebody write to him and ask...