Code of Conduct

Default Oh wow, a stunner from Ava Luxe

Just tested a few more niche today, and I will post it on my official thread, but I thought I'd go ahead and let you know, Midnight Violet is a very large winner in my book. I'll tell you a story.

I'm on the midnight train to Instanbul. My target is a female double agent. I can see her from a few rows back, she's reading a week old copy of the New York Times. The date reads 5-08-1919. My mission is to stop her before she alerts the Turks of the looming invasion of the Greeks, set for the 16th. We're the only ones on this car, it seems my target grows easier as my vision drills steadily into her back. I approach slowly from behind. She knows I'm here. She hasn't turned the page in ten minutes, her attention is solely focused on me, and any other possible dangers. I allow my right foot to scuff the red carpet to signal my intentions. She slightly turns her head, a foot away from mine. That's when I smell it.

A few musty leaves rest at my feet while I'm taken from the train to an oasis. The moon is full with only small brief periods of dark when the clouds pass over it. I smell my surroundings. Damp earth. Sweet flowers. Gentle green leaves. The wind softly strokes the trees branches. I've found a home. This place is magnificent.

I gently blink my eyes. I'm back in the boxcar. I have a mission.
    "You are Greek by birth, why do you engage in such dishonor?"
    "That is not what you are here for."
    She softly turns her head back towards the paper and I catch another whiff of her perfume.

I remember the nights I spent in that oasis. It wasn't exotic, but it was special to me. The faintest smell of Violets were a common occurrence on my father's farm, but here, they grew wild and without care. They were a gentle noise in the background of my generously sized nose. The painting she wore on her skin was like no other. The first day I made a trip to that outcrop of trees, I was anosmatic. Through many weeks and years, I learned what it was to witness beauty of the greatest sense.

"Then why am I here?"
    "To either kill me or take me a hostage of war, after which I will be hanged for crimes against the state. Funny, I don't really care which one you choose. I have accepted my fate, but you have not accepted yours."
    "Which is?"
    "To be the one person able to stop the thousands of deaths that may be caused by this invasion."
    She looked sideways, wafting another taste of my glorious refuge from the situation.

I spent hours under those trees in the cool night. Though I was often cold, I found warmth in my dreams. I once dreamed of saving peoples lives. I had the misconception that my country would never betray that sacred writ of life. I was young at the time. I made a vow that I would live to make better the lives around me, as long as it was their will. Now I had no will.

"No, you had the chance to save your own life, and you took the traitors way."
    "But I am willing to sacrifice my life for the lives of others."
    "Your countrymen or the offenders?"
    "They're both human."
    See turned her head to look me in my eyes.

I climbed a tree in my sanctuary once. It ended in pain. I fell from the third branch up and broke my elbow. I tasted blood in my mouth that night, because my arm was not enough to save my face from a brutal blow. I lay there, arm pulsing with pain, and yet I did not cry. I took a deep breath, finding the subtleties in the random concoction nature had made me. I am no better than anyone else. Crying will not change that. I looked up through the gently swaying branches, wondering how many people were in more pain than I. I again took a deep breath. The faint smell of violets was just enough to arouse me to walk the four miles it was to my fathers house. That night I learned what it meant to be someone with a life of purpose.

"A fatal mistake, I'm afraid."
    My knife was already a part of her. Her mouth slightly opened. A whisper came out.
    "Your life must be of... purpose."
    Her head gently rested upon my shoulder. My sadness was overwhelming. The last image she saw was my horribly twisted face. I buried my face into her neck, prepared to loose my tear ducts. Then I comprehended her smell.

"People will say you're cold Sasha, but you must never cry. You will be different for the rest of your life, but never feel alone. There are millions of people out their that need your help, and your life will be devoted to them." His words didn't register as he wrapped my elbow in linen. The next day a doctor set the bone, and I completely forgot the experience I shared with my father that night.

I noticed a white slip of paper in her hand, I pulled it out and read the short message inscribed in beautiful Turkish.
    "A love shared between enemies is a love divine."
    I could not hold back my tears. The only woman who loved me lay dead in my arms, by way of my hands. Among her things, I found a bottle of perfume, aptly titled "Forgotten Purpose". That night, I contemplated the fate of my life and those which I held in my hands on the midnight train to Istanbul, with my love as company, and a beautiful memory to haunt me...
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 9th February 2007 at 07:51 PM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Default Re: Oh wow, a stunner from Ava Luxe

I have found Serena's perfumes to be very evocative as well! My personal favorite is Kretek. Thanks for the wonderful prose!!

What 007 novel is this ?
    -

What kind of knife did you use in the story? I collect knives. I must know.

here is some of Tai Goo's work

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0The%20Bench/?

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    I collect knives.
    Remind me of this so I don't say anything particularly inflammatory to you when he we all meet for a Basenotes Luncheon.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

The only blood I've ever spilled has been my own. We collectors call it "getting bit". I was admiring a few of my knives one night when I picked up a 9" blade by the blade and I knew I had made a major mistake while doing it. That sort of time stands still and you see it all happening in slow motion. I got away with out stiches that time. But it was just stupid getting "Bit" like that.
    --------------------------------------
    Is there some sort of Greek - Turk hatred associated with this piece? If so I'd rather not read any more.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th February 2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That's a hell of a story! Makes me wonder why I've never tried anything by Ava Luxe... gotta get on that!

You obviously have talent and have read lots of fiction. It's a lovely piece you got there! Bravo!

Now, if only the greeks would do an invasion...I don't think that's a possibility, trully. But your fertile imagination and your humanitarian point of view make up for this.

On my blog Ida/chayaruchama wrote a review of Midnight Violet as well .

Prose? Fiction? I actually did this 88 years ago. Just kidding. It's not about hatred. It's historical fiction based on the Greek invasion of Turkey in 1919, Ízmir to be exact. I didn't know there was a Greek invasion, but I set the date to 1919 and I guessed May and I actually was right about a conlfict in Turkey. I didn't know it was the Greeks, but I researched before I wrote. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919
    Cheers, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    - Rich
    PS - I wouldn't say no to writing another chapter of Sasha's story... The rest would have hardly anything to do with perfume, but rather the decision he makes on that train. He keeps her perfume bottle with him though... Oh, zztop, he's no where near good enough looking to be a Bond. He isn't a super agent either.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    What kind of knife did you use in the story? I collect knives. I must know.

here is some of Tai Goo's work

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0The%20Bench/?
    I didn't think about it before this, but its a sharp knife. A very sharp knife. It isn't really special in anyway unless you're a Greek. It's four inches long, 1" wide, dark grey. There is a slight convex curve to it, the handle is a thicker extension of the blade, and it's wrapped with leather. The reason it would be special to a Greek is that it was forged and wrapped by a Turk, in Istanbul (Turkey is known for its exemplary foraging (Espcially cymbals (For drums))). Perhaps you could classify it for me frederick?
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 9th February 2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Great job Rich, now I have to smell this
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Despite all of your compliments, I find my dialouge to be a bit lacking. I'm thinking of moving to a more Shakespearian vibe and having them use only verse. Thoughts?
    - Rich

The one Ava-Luxe I tried was quite bad, so I look on any with suspicion, alas!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    It's historical fiction based on the Greek invasion of Turkey in 1919, Ízmir to be exact. I didn't know there was a Greek invasion, but I set the date to 1919 and I guessed May and I actually was right about a conlfict in Turkey. I didn't know it was the Greeks, but I researched before I wrote. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919
    OK, just so you know details about this issue, because it is quite controversial.
    They did not invade out of nowhere.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontic_Greek_Genocide
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish...f_Independence

They had been driven out of the lands of their ancestors (from 2500 years ago). And they had been "used" from the Great powers (Allies) to accomplish their goals of controling Anatolia. Resulting in the destruction of Smyrna by the Turks and refugees of around 1.5 million fleeing to Greece. It's a greek tragedy really......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smyrna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_Smyrna

Great job though and keep it up!
    Last edited by helg; 10th February 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    They did not invade out of nowhere.....
    Ahhh, but I did not say they invaded out of nowhere! My characters really were minor roles in the war, and the double agent's job was to get the message to Istanbul that the occupation would take place tomorrow, advising all Muslims to leave the Ízmir. I guess that's part of the background I should have put in there, but I felt that the short story was getting a little too in depth about the mission. Thanks though! Should I need any more info in case I wish to write more about it, I know where to look now!
    - Rich

I've guessed it!! I've guessed it!!

It's REALLY about Ava Luxe's Film Noir.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    The one Ava-Luxe I tried was quite bad, so I look on any with suspicion, alas!
    Ok, we want to know, which one?

JAF
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 10th February 2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    Ahhh, but I did not say they invaded out of nowhere! My characters really were minor roles in the war, and the double agent's job was to get the message to Istanbul that the occupation would take place tomorrow, advising all Muslims to leave the Ízmir. I guess that's part of the background I should have put in there, but I felt that the short story was getting a little too in depth about the mission. Thanks though! Should I need any more info in case I wish to write more about it, I know where to look now!
    - Rich
    That's true, you didn't. Sorry if I got carried away a bit on the history buff train....LOL
    You should expand the story, I enjoyed reading it a lot!

@ifconfig

Yep, pray tell, which one?