Code of Conduct

Default A suggestion about "What would Person X wear" threads

I suggest we establish a convention that someone who starts a "what would Person X wear" thread should get the ball rolling with a short paragraph to tell us at least two things:

(1) Who is/was this person?

(2) What makes the original poster curious about this person's choice in fragrance?

This forum has a quasi-educational mission, and members come from many different countries and fields. Not everyone will know who some of these figures are, or what about them makes their imagined choice in fragrance interesting. Thread-starters, consider your audience and spend a few moments writing something substantive. It can only improve these types of threads, which at their best offer insights more profound than how Lon Chaney Jr. would surely have worn Méchant Loup.

Here is an example:

Before: "What would John Rawls wear?" (and most of us are off to Wikipedia)

After: What would the late ethical philosopher John Rawls have worn? Rawls's "A Theory of Justice" provided crucial intellectual groundwork for the modern welfare state by arguing persuasively that a primary goal of a just society should to improve the situation of its least fortunate members. Rawls suggested we should create the society we would all have agreed upon while in an imaginary "original position" before we knew whether we would be born rich or poor, intelligent or unintelligent, etc. His view was that all of these qualities are morally arbitrary and so should not determine how people fare in a just society. I'm curious what this mild-mannered, tweedy professor--vastly influential and the intellectual heir of Kant, who wrote exactly one book in his entire career--might have splashed on in the morning before heading off to the library or lecture hall."

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: A suggestion about "What would Person X wear" threads

Great idea!

Yes. I agree. I enjoy them when I know who the person is.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

well.... if you gotta ask, you can't afford it. er, um...if you don't know who the person is, a short bio isn't going to give you enough insight to play this game the way it deserves to be played.

SO...

those who never argued with their social theory prof about whether the whole premise of the "original position" was silly and untenable may not be able to contribute meaningfully to this thread. of course, having been there and done that, i do get to play. unfortunately, i'm afraid rawls was likely one of the great unwashed when it came to our little hobby.

Nozick, on the other hand (principal Rawls respondant, and the other side of 20th c. political theory) would have enjoyed more of a bite out of life, and would definetely have worn something smooth, but with an edge and good dash of vetiver.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

What would Tuner Watson wear?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    What would Tuner Watson wear?
    Who is/was this person ?
    -

I was about to start a parody/satire "What would Yoshikazu Kimura Wear" thread because of all these obscure (yet significant) figures being asked about lately. I thought it would be perhaps a bit mean spirited, so I decided against it. I think this thread's intentions are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman
    I was about to start a parody/satire "What would Yoshikazu Kimura Wear" thread because of all these obscure (yet significant) figures being asked about lately. I thought it would be perhaps a bit mean spirited, so I decided against it. I think this thread's intentions are much better.
    Funny, because I was thinking the same thing. Stranger still, I was thinking about cryptic Japanese figures (What would Nishida Kitaro wear?) as my query...
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

What would Pikachu wear?

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Who is/was this person ?
    Besides emblemizing my love of the obscure, Tuner Watson was a very minor character in one of the best episodes of television ever filmed. Tom Selleck appeared in two episodes of The Rockford Files, playing a character called Lance White, who is an absurdly "perfect" private investigator and the total opposite of James Garner's Jim Rockford character--absurdly chivalrous, naive, completely lacking in cynicism, etc. Yet everything always works out for him. Ridiculous hunches play out, deus ex machina leads appear whenever he needs them, he gets all the credit due to others, etc. Meanwhile, Rockford, whose cynical assessment of every situation is far more "right", ends up with none of the glory.

Anyway, in the episode "White on White and Nearly Perfect", Rockford and Lance are working together on a case and meet with some very minor underworld figures led by the improbably-named Tuner Watson. After they escape these hoods, Lance says "we did good" because they learned the target of their investigation is "connected." To which Rockford testily replies: "They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson."

The actor who played Tuner Watson later would write the screenplay for Stand By Me.

Too much information. As for what Tuner Watson would wear, that would depend on what was popular in the back rooms of underground L.A. horse parlors in the 1970s. Something sleazy with small-time, wannabe notes.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    What would Pikachu wear?
    Last edited by moondeva; 10th February 2007 at 12:19 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    Besides emblemizing my love of the obscure, Tuner Watson was a very minor character in one of the best episodes of television ever filmed. Tom Selleck appeared in two episodes of The Rockford Files, playing a character called Lance White, who is an absurdly "perfect" private investigator and the total opposite of James Garner's Jim Rockford character--absurdly chivalrous, naive, completely lacking in cynicism, etc. Yet everything always works out for him. Ridiculous hunches play out, deus ex machina leads appear whenever he needs them, he gets all the credit due to others, etc. Meanwhile, Rockford, whose cynical assessment of every situation is far more "right", ends up with none of the glory.

Anyway, in the episode "White on White and Nearly Perfect", Rockford and Lance are working together on a case and meet with some very minor underworld figures led by the improbably-named Tuner Watson. After they escape these hoods, Lance says "we did good" because they learned the target of their investigation is "connected." To which Rockford testily replies: "They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson."

The actor who played Tuner Watson later would write the screenplay for Stand By Me.

Too much information. As for what Tuner Watson would wear, that would depend on what was popular in the back rooms of underground L.A. horse parlors in the 1970s. Something sleazy with small-time, wannabe notes.

Love this kind of minutiae!

As a criminal name it seems to come right off the pages of a Thomas Pynchon novel.

Maybe Tuner Watson would wear Agua Brava — to send out the right "threat" messages.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.