Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Scent Tribes? Favorite Notes or Scent Types

As I have been reading and writing here on Basenotes, I have come to realize that, although I am a person of catholic tastes, I do gravitate toward certain perfume notes and certain scent types. I wonder if there are "scent tribes" among us, i. e., people who have certain preferences in common because of culture, experience, or perhaps even genetics.

My profile looks like this:

Notes I prefer (more or less in order):
    oakmoss, clary sage, woody notes, resins and balsams, green notes, white flowers, ambergris, labdanum, oud, spice.

Scent Types:
    Chypres (especially green ones), Woody Orientals, Leather, Fougeres, Florientals.

Any members of my tribe out there? Any other tribes?

Just wondering...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Scent Tribes? Favorite Notes or Scent Types

Can I join your tribe? Those notes are all great! How do you feel about vanilla?

I am of the Gourmand Tribe. We like to smell 'sweet' and we like to pass that 'sweetness' on to others.....of the opposite sex.

How about it Shannon?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt
    Can I join your tribe? Those notes are all great! How do you feel about vanilla?
    A touch of vanilla is ok, and actually goes well with most orientals. I'd rather have other oriental base notes, like labdanum, sandalwood, ambergris, or tolu balsam stand out above the vanilla. Having said that though, vanilla certainly does soften a basenote that might come across as slightly harsh... It all depends on the blend. I like the vanilla in Boucheron Trouble, for example.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    oakmoss, clary sage, woody notes, resins and balsams, green notes, white flowers, ambergris, labdanum, oud, spice.

Scent Types:
    Chypres (especially green ones), Woody Orientals, Leather, Fougeres, Florientals.
    I definitely belong to this tribe! Though I love many, many other notes and don't really like white florals (jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily, violets are more my scene) this is definitely where my heart is! But I must add three further soul notes for me: civet, castoreum and animalic woody musks.

I know they are not politically correct, but even the synthetic alternatives do wonderful things when they meld with my skin. In fact I find many blends shallow and soulless when they do not contain at least one of these gems.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    I am of the Gourmand Tribe. We like to smell 'sweet' and we like to pass that 'sweetness' on to others.....of the opposite sex.

How about it Shannon?

Dan
    Definitely, I'm in the Gourmand Tribe ... but I also have allegiances to the Oriental Tribe, the Leather Tribe, and the Woody Tribe. I can't be true to JUST one ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

... i'm half-Cossack - we instinctively know who "our kind" are. Kidding. Maybe. I want to participate. But perhaps ... later.

edit: misspelling (gasp)
    Last edited by CoTHukoB; 10th February 2007 at 10:00 PM.
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    My profile looks like this:

Scent Types:
    Chypres (especially green ones), Woody Orientals, Leather, Forgeries, Florientals....
    Still learning and experimenting...but I am drawn most to the scents of light citrus then the wood flavors..leather..tobacco..the musk family...patchouli and a slight of vanilla as a backround singer..in harmony not solo..
    Last edited by wolf; 10th February 2007 at 01:35 AM.
    wolf

Post Re: Scent Tribes? Favorite Notes or Scent Types

I don't know about scent types, but I do have favourite notes for sure; iris, patchouli, agarwood, tuberose and vetiver, if I had to mention five.

What's up with that quote of Jaime's original post wolf? Forgeries?

Looks like you've been accused of Forgery 'ol Jaime. We will convene a tribal council tonight to see if you should be voted off the island!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q

Looks like you've been accused of Forgery 'ol Jaime. We will convene a tribal council tonight to see if you should be voted off the island!
    Oh, Mikey Q, I believe wolf is being chastised for changing my words in his quote of me; where I wrote "Fougères", he quotes me as having written "Forgeries."
    Last edited by JaimeB; 10th February 2007 at 11:38 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I love fragrances with notes of wood, musk, florals, tea, and/or spices. Gourmands are the only category of fragrances I haven't caught onto yet.

Cool Re: Scent Tribes? Favorite Notes or Scent Types

Hmmm...sorry i could not respond sooner....i was being held by the local authorities for some mistaken bad check thing (again)

now ... about the current alleged forgery...ok...the culprit was detected...it was spell check.....best i could do on short notice
    Last edited by wolf; 11th February 2007 at 02:41 AM.
    wolf

Rose, hmmmmmm...
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolf
    Hmmm...sorry i could not respond sooner....i was being held by the local authorities for some mistaken bad check thing (again)

now ... about the current alleged forgery...ok...the culprit was detected...it was spell check.....best i could do on short notice
    Ah, so that was it... If you had just used the "quote" button, it would have reproduced my post to the letter, and then you could have deleted the unwanted bits... No need for spell checking then!

I thought I knew the difference between a fougère and a forgery, though I am sure there are some fake fougères out there somewhere. I have a genuine one, a men's cologne called Fougère; it's by Jardin de France (a little-known company outside that blessed land, I'm afraid). It has a lovely bouquet, enlivened by a sort of dryish new-mown hay accord... It's unfortunately not in the Basenotes Directory, so it just gets a mention in my wardrobe in a short list of otherwise unlisted scents at the head, above the regular list. It should be better known, though.

Well, the mystery of the "forgeries" is solved anyway. Whew! What a relief!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 12th February 2007 at 12:22 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca