Code of Conduct

Default Whats a good amount of time a scent lasts?

My colognes usually last about 4 hours strong on my skin..they they fade off and can only be detected if you put your nose up to my skin...

I have tried many different brands/types of colognes and they all have the same effect on me...

I was searching for "the best/long/sillage" cologne for a while... but maybe I'm just expecting too much for my skin...

what do you people think? 4 hours (detectable/strong) a decent amount of time for EDT colognes?

Thrax

Default Re: Whats a good amount of time a scent lasts?

If something lasted 4 hours I would give it a 3 star rating...
    6 hours = 4 star rating
    8 hours + = 5 star rating

Post Thanks / Like

That's reasonable for time on skin.

If you want it to last on you longer, spray it places you have hair. It takes longer to disappear from hair than skin. Of course, because it is evaporating slower, you will get less sillage.

Nobody and I mean nobody can tell you that a certain cologne or perfume will last X amount of hours. It all depends on your body chemistry and your skin.

G.Man try using unscented Jojoba oil on parts of your body where you spray your cologne. The drier your skin is the faster the scent will fade. This will keep your skin mosit and retain the scent on your body longer.

Also hair retains scent longer than your skin does. Try putting a little on your hair.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I agree with VJ; a lot of members say the Creed MI doesn't last ten minutes. On me, it lasts ten days. Or there will be reviews claiming longevity, while on me, it lasts ten minutes.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

G Man, I also suggest that you be sure that the soap you use to wash your skin is both mild and non-scented. Your soap should be non-scented so as to not compete with the scent of your applied fragrance. And your soap should be mild so that it will cause less drying to your skin than a stronger soap which will have a tendency to deplete your skin of its natural oils and make your skin dry. Skin that is nourished with your body's natural oils or with an applied oil such as jojoba oil will hold the scent of your fragrance much longer than dry skin which has been depleted of its natural oils.

I myself have had a problem with my skin being so dry that any fragrance applied to my skin had extremely poor longevity. I had been using a very strong soap, but I changed to using a mild non-scented soap which causes much less drying of my skin. On an occasional basis, I also apply jojoba oil to my arms and my chest as these are the two skin areas where I apply my fragrance. Taking care of my skin in this way has had the effect of greatly increasing the longevity of any fragrance that I apply.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I put a very small spray of Versace Dreamer on the inside of each wrist at about 11:00 PM last night just to see if it would last overnight. It did.

Identifiable but moderately faint typical Dreamer drydown aroma still available on both wrists if I get my nose right next to the skin and sniff. That is almost 9-1/2 hours. Not bad longevity, and it does smell very nice..
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    My colognes usually last about 4 hours strong on my skin..they they fade off and can only be detected if you put your nose up to my skin...

I have tried many different brands/types of colognes and they all have the same effect on me...

I was searching for "the best/long/sillage" cologne for a while... but maybe I'm just expecting too much for my skin...

what do you people think? 4 hours (detectable/strong) a decent amount of time for EDT colognes?
    8 hours is good enough.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I add to those that mentioned adding something such as oil to your skin. I use it due to dry skin and find it does allow the fragrances to last longer. Most of my fragrances will last the entire work day, but as said in other posts, each person is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, a less harsh soap is good, but I'd go a step further and get a moisturizing soap. If you go to a health food store (like Whole Foods or something) you can find really good natural body washes that not only lack the harsh drying chemicals that are in many soaps but have moisturizing oils in them. If longevity is a serious problem I would recommend getting a pocket spray so that you can refresh your scent.

To me 6 hours is good enough. If you want a longer longevity you could try spraying on your clothing too.

to me if a scent lasts 6and a half to 7 hours or more it gets a 10/10 in terms of longevity

For me 6 hours is a winner.

4 hours or less= poor longevity
    4-6 hours= good longevity
    6 hours plus = great longevity