Code of Conduct

Default Got strange comments on Bulgari Black

The other night I wore Bulgari Black to a lady's birthday party. I almost immediately received glowing compliments on it, but then again most of the people were tipsy by the time I got there.

I remembered someone saying that is was very masculine, but I didn't really think anything about it (I'm used to people telling me that, e.g., Fahrenheit is 'really fresh', etc.).

Last night I was talking to the lady in question, and she said again that my perfume had been wonderful and 'super masculine'. I was surprised, and I responded by telling her that Bulgari Black is one of my favorite scents on a woman. She was flabbergasted- she went on and on about how it couldn't possibly smell good on a woman. In the end we had to agree to disagree, even though I was right

I have sprayed this on 3 or 4 lady friends in the past, and they all seemed to like it sooner or later (it is a strange scent to some). I think that part of the birthday girl's associations with Black's notes might have come from her father and brother (they are heavily involved in motorcross and snocross racing) and various smells from her childhood.

I still insist that Black is a perfectly unisex scent. Has anyone else receive such polarized comments on it?

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Got strange comments on Bulgari Black

I am a lady not afraid to wear perfumes perceived as very masculine (Halston Z-14, Maxim's pour Homme, Lagerfeld Classic, YSL M7, Hermes Bel Ami, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere). I was all set to love Bulgari Black (even though I preferred the more fleeting L'Artisan Dzing) and was going to buy a bottle, when I asked my SO what he thought of it. His emphatic response was 'sweaty ball sacs' - yep! You read it right...

I was all set to ignore his opinion, as he has an odd take on scents at the best of times. I mean he dismissed YSL M7 (sniffed from the bottle) as 'cats p*ss' and actually recoiled in horror from Halston Z-14 when he sniffed that as well (from bottle) but I had to take into consideration that in his job he happens to run a male fertility clinic (urology) and so would definitely know what he was on about when defining that smell. So no Bulgari Black for me.

Luckily he did not have the same response to L'Artisan Dzing. Maybe, as you say, it is the dominate black tyre rubber accord or maybe it is the black lapsang tea with vanilla that puts him off. either way I think that this is a scent that I shall have to leave to the men...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Wink Re: Got strange comments on Bulgari Black

Though I agree it is unisex, I definitely prefer it on a man!

Not entirely what you asked for, but Bvlgari Black and Thierry Mugler Cologne are the two fragrances from my wardrobe I love to smell on my girlfriend (and which she also love wearing).

I'm surprised Black is still being "studied" after all this time. I think that shows just how innovative it was and is. Many women I know would place Black squarely in the male category. I don't, but I can see why they do.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I used to wear this one a lot, about five years ago it was my favourite work scent. After the unconventional rubber and Lapsang Souchong top notes it mellows into a lovely woody vanilla drydown.

I don't find it too masculine but I wear quite many scents labelled as "men's" (or "unisex") anyway and feel comfortable in them.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Dependent

she's never smelled Bulgari Black before this and doesn't have an exquisite nose for the scent of Lapsang Souchong tea? Because those who do I envy.

below this thread are threads of interest concerning Bulgari Black.
    Is Bulgari Black the Ultimate Piece of Sh!T?
    or How I got drunk and used the bittle as a hockey puck

I use it like I use ginger in a Japanese restaurant as a palette cleanser. I'd love to see Bvlgari do this even stronger in a perfume.

Do latex lovers get this right away? The rubber scent really threw me at first but now I want it. I'll go to a latex store and see what happens.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Got strange comments on Bulgari Black

I would agree with your comments on Bvlgari Black Tigrushka.

I applied Aramis Havana for Men last night at about 11 PM to the outside of both wrists just to be able to sniff those great initial aromas before sleep and also to test and experience the longevity. And this AM upon awakening I found it had mellowed into the most wonderful of scents. Something unisex developed for certain. It became delightfully light but intriguingly complex. Almost addictive!

If the wonderful but powerful topnotes and middlenotes could be bypassed or toned down in Havana For Men EdT and one could almost immediately go to the fantastic drydown I would say it would be an ideal fragrance for women..exotic, exciting, incredibly inviting, sexy. If I didn't know better I would swear it had pheromones added...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

I LOVE Bvlgari Black...ok, I hear a collective groan of "We know, CJ, we know."

Seriously though, this one did take me quite awhile to understand. But once I did, I completely fell in love w/ the dark & mysterious cloud that seemed to envelope me when I'd wear this.

Greyhueofdoubt, maybe you should make a sample of Bvlgari Black for your lady friend so she could try it, herself?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie

Greyhueofdoubt, maybe you should make a sample of Bvlgari Black for your lady friend so she could try it, herself?

I unfortunately will not be seeing that particular lady friend anymore- we had a rather spectacular falling-out last night and I decided that I don't need that stress right before a deployment. That, and she's ten years older than me and I didn't see things working anyways. But that is way off topic.

I am going to see a friend tonight (just a lady, not a 'lady friend') who is pretty receptive to my stranger scents--I'll wear B.B. layered with CdG Tar, which is one of my most favorite scents ever. I've even convinced her to wear some of my more masculine scents before (not in public, though), and she might really like the combo. She had some disparaging things to say about Tar the first time she smelled it, but I think I can change her mind.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I guess the burnt rubber makes this very hard for some to imagine on a woman. Looking at the first hour or so, until those rubber notes are gone, I find, say, Armani Code (the mens) much more female than Bulgari Black.

I don't think much of the mens Bulgari scents, but Black is somewhere on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    Do latex lovers get this right away? The rubber scent really threw me at first but now I want it. I'll go to a latex store and see what happens.
    Interesting, I have a friend who loves the smell of rubber Wow, here is an ultimate gift item for them.

I like Bvlgari Black but I prefer Dzing as it is raw and more full-bodied.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut
    Interesting, I have a friend who loves the smell of rubber Wow, here is an ultimate gift item for them.
    Try CdG synthetic series: Skai as well.

I there are a lot of men's scents that I find more feminine than Bvlgari Black. M7 (yes, M7) and Egoiste come to mind. But that doesn't really prove much other than the fact that the whole system is arbitrary.

I wouldn't mind it on a woman, but I think it's definitely more masculine. I think I'd do a double take (of surprise, not attraction necessarily) if I smelled it on a woman.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."