Code of Conduct

Default LA Times confirms it...

From Times Wire Reports
    February 10, 2007
    For women, apparently there's nothing like the smell of a man's sweat.

Researchers at UC Berkeley said women who sniffed a chemical found in male sweat, called androstadienone, experienced elevated levels of an important hormone, along with higher sexual arousal, faster heart rate and other effects.

The study — published this week in the Journal of Neuroscience — is the first direct evidence that people secrete a scent that influences the hormones of the opposite sex, the researchers said. The chemical smells somewhat musky.

we knew this...right...??
    wolf

Default Re: LA Times confirms it...

that's why i collect my sweat in a bottle.

It also why hot, beautiful women throw themselves at me after I play basketball.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I've had good results using pheromones, androstadienone is just one of them.

They are quite fun to play around with!

I'm already regretting posting this but I wonder how this applies to us that sit on the other side of the fence.

Hmmmm.

I'm thinking about not showering right now because of it. I might just go out tonight with sweat and things. If only I could get it to smell better...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    I'm already regretting posting this but I wonder how this applies to us that sit on the other side of the fence.

Hmmmm.

I was thinking the exact same question CoL...I could care less if women find my sweat sexually attractive, it's the guys I'm more concerned about.

Well, for whatever reason, I have to say some guys natural smell is quite incredible.

I was madly in love with a guy at Uni who is of mixed parentage (Native American Indian and Irish) and no matter what scent he wore, his smell pushed through it. It sounds gross but he smelled like nothing on earth! He ran off after, erm, a few "experimental" situations.

We spent almost everyday together for a year and half. I still miss him terribly and its been 7 years!

Hmm... interesting. I'm not racist or anything, but asians with a sheen of swear don't seem to smell as bad as people of other ehtnicities. maybe make a colongne made of their sweat?

Just imagine, sweat-shops in Asia.....

So, what this says to me is, if you really want to turn a woman on by allowing your natural scent to come through, don't overapply your fragrance, and don't overapply antiperspirant/deodorant, but apply enough so that body odor isn't offensive, although I suppose even this could be subjective.

And I guess some things that affect the quality of one's own personal scent/sweat are your diet, how much water you drink (to help the body purify), amount of sleep to help the body regenerate...

Here's a little more from the UC Berkeley news release:

The team's work was inspired by previous studies by Wyart's colleague Noam Sobel, associate professor of psychology at UC Berkeley and director of the Berkeley Olfactory Research Program. He found that the chemical androstadienone - a compound found in male sweat and an additive in perfumes and colognes - changed mood, sexual arousal, physiological arousal and brain activation in women.

Yet, contrary to perfume company advertisements, there is no hard evidence that humans respond to the smell of androstadienone or any other chemical in a subliminal or instinctual way similar to the way many mammals and even insects respond to pheromones, Wyart said. Though some humans exhibit a small patch inside their nose resembling the vomeronasal organ in rats that detects pheromones, it appears to be vestigial, with no nerve connection to the brain.

"Pheromones are chemical molecules expressed by a species aimed at other members of the species to induce stereotyped behavior or hormonal changes," Wyart explained. "Many people argue that human pheromones don't exist, because humans don't exhibit stereotyped behavior. Nonetheless, this male chemical signal, androstadienone, does cause hormonal as well as physiological and psychological changes in women. More cognitive studies need to be done to understand how androstadienone affects female cognitive functions."
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 11th February 2007 at 11:22 AM.

I am confident enough to invite the LA Times to come to my workplace and smell the sweat on some of the staff here, they might change their mind !!

Dependent

Runners, joggers participants in aerobic activity know that the perspiration from lets say a 3 mile run at lunch or bicyling to work or a hard rowing does not smell. If you don't bathe, the next morning you'll stink. I know you can go several hours before washing the perspiration off. Perspiration from non aerobic activities - I have no idea.

gay men have understood this forever

sure took those scientists a long time to figure out what people have known for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by CoL

Hmmmm.

Dear ones,

Hope you'll be happy to learn that there have actually been some recent scientific studies done (in Sweden, I believe) on this, confirming that (for example) homosexual men and heterosexual women seem to respond similarly to the pheremones in male sweat; and that likewise, lesbians and heterosexual men seem to respond similarly to female pheremones (http://neurocritic.blogspot.com/2006...entation.html).

How nice, IMO, that those of us with "noses" know a good thing (for us!) when we smell it, whatever (whomever?) it happens to be...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

It's nice to know that what has been common published knowledge for at least 30 or more years that I know of, now has a scientific basis.

That is why designers usually only put out deodorants and deodorant stick versions of their scents, rather than antiperspirant versions. The deodorants stop the sweat from breaking down and giving off a bad smell (and presumably gives more longevity to that molecule that you cite). Whereas antiperspirants stop the production of sweat.

So the whole intent of designers' deodorants is to enhance one's sweat, rather than to suppress it.
    Renato

I've posted before that one of my frequent fragrances, Marilyn Miglin's Pheromone for Men, smells to me like "sexy sweat." Looks like Marilyn had that one nailed...
    "She allowed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." --Proust, *Cities of the Plain*

Sooner or later, science catches up with casual observations.

I have experienced the results of this firsthand. Sometimes other bodyparts, too.

People's results will vary, though. The mitigating factor is that along with that nice "clean sweat" that contains Precious Chemicals of Arousal, the other things that people put in their body will eventually come through, too, as JYvdk said.

So along with the good stuff, someone may be pumping out Eau De Flat Budweiser, and L'Air Du Cold Stale Pizza for Breakfast.