Code of Conduct

Default best mineral foundation?

hi, i wanted to ask for peoples' opinions on mineral foundation. i discovered it relatively recently -- about a year or so ago, i don't remember why but it was an eye-opener for me. i have sensitive skin (break out in rashes when under stress, need to wash my clothes with baby detergent, etc) and i never liked to wear foundation before because it felt cakey and like it clogged my pores. i have been wearing jane iredale amazing base (light beige) and overall i really liked it. i briefly tried out the pressed powder in the same shade but didn't like it as much (although when applying with a brush instead of a sponge it looks better.) Overall I really love the way it makes my skin look. My skin is acne-prone especially when under stress/at certain times of the month/here in central europe where the water is really hard but i have gotten a lot of compliments on my skin when i wear this makeup, which as you can imagine makes me feel very happy, for one that people don't think my skin looks all zitty, and for two that people think it's my natural skin and not makeup just covering up the imperfections.

anyways it sounds like i've found the perfect foundation but i do have one complaint, and that my face looks greasy pretty easily with this foundation. i know part of the appeal of mineral makeup is it makes your skin glow, making it look natural, and i am not trying to get a completely matte face, the problem is when i feel like my face is more of a mirror than a face, it is so shiny. what do you guys think of jane iredale, which other ones have you tried and liked, etc? i am thinking of trying out the liquid minerals of jane iredale just to keep experimenting. the one thing i really don't like about amazing base is that it makes a mess, i hate having this dusting of powder all over my sink, and honestly the pressed powder is barely any less messy.

wow that was a long-winded post, sorry.

Default Re: best mineral foundation?

I have really sensitive skin too! I'm Sicilian and Irish, and I have combination/oily skin that's prone to breakouts.

Because my skin's so oily, I use the Bare Minerals kit by Bare Escentuals. I got a starter kit on Sephora. I LOVE their Mineral Veil.

I dust on the Mineral Veil first, to absorb shine and prepare my skin for the tinted powder. The brushes that Bare Escentuals includes in their kit are crap - the bristles are thick and stiff. I have a large, soft, fluffy brush that has very fine bristles.

You have to do their buff-and-swirl thing, and make sure that there's no powder visible on the brush or else they cake and look really weird. I think that the next color I buy from them will the the palest one they stock, because the "Light" has a yellowish tinge to it that's supposed to mask redness. If you apply too much, your skin can look sallow and weird.

It sounds silly, but watch the videos (either on their website, or on the DVD that comes with the Get Started kit). Like I said, I start with a dusting of Mineral Veil, then I buff on the foundation, then a tiny smidge of Warmth, and then another dusting of Mineral Veil.

I have tried other mineral foundations, like Philosophy's The Supernatural, but didn't like them anywhere near as much as the Bare Escentuals. They don't make me break out and the coverage is very natural and lovely.

I also use Bare Minerals and love it. I don't like to feel like I have makeup on my face and this is pefect. I purchased it initially off of their website and now I either get it from Sephora or the Bare Escentuals store. I have also tried their eyeshadows and find them to be messy but the foundation and mineral veil are great and they last a long time for me.

I ordered bareminerals off a late night infomercial about five years ago. I've not worn anything else since. I still get the same quarterly shipments at the same price, and little free gifts now and then. I have many of their colors and brushes. I can't make it without bisque concealer, medium beige foundation, and celestine eyeshadow.

I don't find the eyeshadow a mess if I use the little wide, short, flat brush. I barely dip it, press it back and forth on it's lid and sweep it on. Of course....it's a pale natural shade, so if a bit fell to my cheek I suppose I wouldn't know it.

I like their brushes.

I find I don't go the step of the Mineral Veil...perhaps I should get a little tub and top to dump and mix it. I have quite a little stockkpile.

Shycat, you mentioned that you got yours several years ago, so maybe the brush quality was better then. They concealer/eyeshadow brush that I have is fabulous, but the Kabuki Full Coverage brush and the Medium Coverage brush are just shite. They're like wiping your face with a straw broom. I wish that the quality was better because I love the shape of the kabuki brush.

I got a large powder brush from the body shop... we don't have malls up here, so a lot of women host parties for pampered chef, body shop, etc. It was expensive ($25) but it was well worth it. The bristles are super-fine and very soft. It has a flattened base so that you can stand it up like the kabuki brush. I really wish that the body shop made that brush in a kabuki style.

The only bareminerals eyeshadow I have is Cultured Pearl... that stuff is amazing, and I definitely want to try others because I love it soooo much! I'll have to try the bisque mineral concealer next. ^__^ And shycat, I'm willing to wager that you have dry skin so the makeup already looks fabulous on you... my oily skin really, really needs the Mineral Veil.
    Last edited by linnea; 11th February 2007 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    Shycat, you mentioned that you got yours several years ago, so maybe the brush quality was better then. They concealer/eyeshadow brush that I have is fabulous, but the Kabuki Full Coverage brush and the Medium Coverage brush are just shite. They're like wiping your face with a straw broom. I wish that the quality was better because I love the shape of the kabuki brush.

I'll have to try the bisque mineral concealer next. ^__^ And shycat, I'm willing to wager that you have dry skin so the makeup already looks fabulous on you... my oily skin really, really needs the Mineral Veil.
    Yes, the kubuki brush they gave me hit the trash. My skin is normal to oily in the T-zone, I'm just lazy. I can spend ten minutes picking out a scent since I smell myself. But screw the extra ten seconds to brush on Mineral Veil that I won't see myself.

I've not used the same brush for five years. I replace it every so often, but more likely it's just what I'm used to as I never used a brush for anything before. I do love their maximun coverage concealer brush, too.

wow, so it looks like bare minerals is a really popular brand. i had been considering trying it out but on makeupalley people seem to like jane iredale more so i figured i may as well stick with jane. but since bare minerals is relatively cheap it can't hurt to try it out. so this mineral veil stuff really prevents shine? i have this lame jane iredale anti-shine stuff called "absence" that does absolutely nothing, but it does have spf 15 and the jane iredale liquid minerals does not have any spf so maybe i will find a use for it if i end up going with the liquid minerals . . .

i was on the bare minerals website and i was trying to choose my potential color and i was confused because it seemed they have shades for "neutral' and for "gold undertones" (and a lot more for gold than for neutral) but no blue undertones? what gives?

I have Philosophy's Supernatural one, it has a puff on on the tub thing. I use MAC 180 kabuki with it. Gives a glowly natural look. I have spotted Urban Decay doing one as well the same set up. I use mine now and then as I prefer the liquid foundation thing.

L'Oreal is suppose to be bringing out their own verison shortly. Mac have a new one which is liquid minerals.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    i was on the bare minerals website and i was trying to choose my potential color and i was confused because it seemed they have shades for "neutral' and for "gold undertones" (and a lot more for gold than for neutral) but no blue undertones? what gives?
    The gold/yellow is to correct redness on your complexion.

If you have a problem with redness or ruddiness on your skin, pick one with a gold undertone.

If you don't have any redness on your skin, pick a neutral.

I also bought the starter Bare Minerals kit from an infomercial a couple of years ago. I love the concept, but I have a hard time finding colors that work for me. I am extremely fair, with pinky undertones to my skin. The warm colors that are supposed to "correct" only make my face look jaundiced or orangey, even the very lightest shade. I went to the the Bare Minerals store at the mall and the sales assistant actually recommended a slightly darker, but less yellow/more neutral shade for me, and it works much better, but I only wear it in summer. I still think its too dark for winter. So I went back to using regular foundation. I'm having a hard time with that lately, too, but at least I can get colors that work for me, porcelain or alabaster. I'm not convinced yet, I need to check out more shades in the mineral foundation. Perhaps another company. I love the mineral blushes, and the mineral veil is amazing stuff. Haven't tried the eye shadows.

Sherrie, if your only problem was color then I do definitely recommend you try Jane Iredale (except it is more expensive than BE) but they divide it by neutral, yellow undertones, and blue undertones (which I think also applies if your skin has a pinkish hue?) I must have similar skin to you, and I've found that light beige is a pretty good match for me, and also mineral foundations diffuse light more so even if it's not an exact match it still looks natural. wouldn't it be funny if this thread not only turned me on to bare escentuals, but turned someone else onto jane iredale? ok maybe it wouldn't be ha ha funny, ok maybe it wouldn't be funny at all . . .

well I guess if I do get a bare escentuals foundation I will stick with a neutral undertone, i have red areas like most anyone else (except those people blessed with a perfect complexion who probably don't even need to wear foundation in the first place, bah) but I also worry that a yellow-tinged foundation would make me look jaundiced. well we'll see what I end up deciding to do . . . I had also heard about these other mineral foundations mentioned by linnea but haven't really heard whether they're suppoesd to be better or worse than the others we've discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    I also bought the starter Bare Minerals kit from an infomercial a couple of years ago. I love the concept, but I have a hard time finding colors that work for me. I am extremely fair, with pinky undertones to my skin. The warm colors that are supposed to "correct" only make my face look jaundiced or orangey, even the very lightest shade. I went to the the Bare Minerals store at the mall and the sales assistant actually recommended a slightly darker, but less yellow/more neutral shade for me, and it works much better, but I only wear it in summer. I still think its too dark for winter. So I went back to using regular foundation. I'm having a hard time with that lately, too, but at least I can get colors that work for me, porcelain or alabaster. I'm not convinced yet, I need to check out more shades in the mineral foundation. Perhaps another company. I love the mineral blushes, and the mineral veil is amazing stuff. Haven't tried the eye shadows.
    I'm confused, so please, please forgive what may seem like an inappropriate question: Okay, it sounds like you have really pretty skin, why do you want to wear foundation, especially if it doesn't look as nice as your natural complexion?

This is NOT meant as a challenge to your personal choices, I'm honestly curious... I've always been glad my skin has been good enough that I didn't need to wear foundation, but maybe I'm a bit lazy about this

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    Sherrie, if your only problem was color then I do definitely recommend you try Jane Iredale (except it is more expensive than BE) but they divide it by neutral, yellow undertones, and blue undertones (which I think also applies if your skin has a pinkish hue?) I must have similar skin to you, and I've found that light beige is a pretty good match for me, and also mineral foundations diffuse light more so even if it's not an exact match it still looks natural. wouldn't it be funny if this thread not only turned me on to bare escentuals, but turned someone else onto jane iredale? ok maybe it wouldn't be ha ha funny, ok maybe it wouldn't be funny at all . . .

well I guess if I do get a bare escentuals foundation I will stick with a neutral undertone, i have red areas like most anyone else (except those people blessed with a perfect complexion who probably don't even need to wear foundation in the first place, bah) but I also worry that a yellow-tinged foundation would make me look jaundiced. well we'll see what I end up deciding to do . . . I had also heard about these other mineral foundations mentioned by linnea but haven't really heard whether they're suppoesd to be better or worse than the others we've discussed.
    Yes, pinky skin is actually blueish underneath. The yellow/warm tones don't work, but the Jane Iredale blue tones might. Thank you for the recommendation, LoneFish. I will look into that line.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousmongoose
    I'm confused, so please, please forgive what may seem like an inappropriate question: Okay, it sounds like you have really pretty skin, why do you want to wear foundation, especially if it doesn't look as nice as your natural complexion?

This is NOT meant as a challenge to your personal choices, I'm honestly curious... I've always been glad my skin has been good enough that I didn't need to wear foundation, but maybe I'm a bit lazy about this.
    Mysteriousmongoose, no challenge or offense taken. When I was younger I had great skin and never bothered with foundation, but now my aging skin (I'm 48) has some reddish blotchiness and some general uneveness in skin tone that I like to correct with concealer and/or foundation. I would rather go barefaced than wear the wrong color foundation. I do often still go without makeup. I'm not one of those women who won't go anywhere without makeup. But at this stage of life I think I look better, more professional in the daytime, prettier in the evenings or for dressier occasions, with a little makeup. I like a natural look - but it seems to take more and more makeup to get a "natural" look the older I get.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11 View Post
    I'm having a hard time with that lately, too, but at least I can get colors that work for me, porcelain or alabaster. I'm not convinced yet, I need to check out more shades in the mineral foundation. Perhaps another company. I love the mineral blushes, and the mineral veil is amazing stuff. Haven't tried the eye shadows.
    This is another mineral line I'd love to try, but it's kind of expensive.

COLORESCIENCE

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Col...nce_500030.htm

Dermstore also carries JANE IREDALE, but her makeup isn't 100% minerals.

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Jan...ale_100098.htm

Sometimes I use this for better coverage, it's not minerals, but works well with my Bare Minerals blushes. Vanilla might work for you, it's very pale.

PRESCRIPTIVES ANYWEAR Multi-Finish Compact Foundation SPF 12

http://www.prescriptives.com/templat...T_ID=PROD10423

I have not seen anyone mention Aromaleigh. After using BE for the last 3 years, I recently discovered them. They have a lot more colors to choose from and customize to your face. They also have 2 different types of finishes. I'm not crazy about their bronzers so far as I have not found the right color. The good news is you can buy geneours samples of their colors before finding out the color was wrong.

UPDATE: NEWS FLASH! Bare Escentuals is having a Today's Special Nov 10 on QVC.com or tv! They only sell in the US, but you can watch the programs live on the website. I'll be staying up to watch Fri night, lol!! I already have plenty, but it's a fun show and you never know.

Three shows, times are Eastern Standard - Midnight - 2am, 1pm - 4 pm, 10 pm - Midnight.

I kept trying to think of Aromaleigh, but it didn't come to me. I heard those minerals were more finely milled, but I haven't tried them.

Just for reference on the Bare Escentuals/Minerals shades, # 3 works with fair skin that has a pinkish tone (it's called medium, but I am fair skinned.) # 1 would be for white, porcelain like skin, # 2 has yellow undertones. # 5.2 is more olive, lighter than #4, which is actually tan. They are confusing. Warmth all over face color is darker than #4.

The starter kit sold on tv isn't very good for fair skinned people. True, Beauty or another blush color would be better. I use the 5.2 or tan 4 foundation as a bronzer, instead of the Warmth in that kit, which looks like dirt on my face.

They have great today's specials on QVC, from time to time, and kits on Sephora.com. And yes, the mineral veil does prevent shine and feels like butterfly wings on your face. If your skin is dry and aging like mine, then applying while moisturizer is still damp and smoothing in with fingertips gives a better finish without laying in lines. You can also mix a little of the mineral foundation powder with your daily moisturizer to make a tinted foundation.

I bought some Jane Iredale concealer and it smelled so wraunchy, I couldn't use it. This line is not really 100% minerals, but some people like it.
    Last edited by beachroses; 7th November 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Has anyone mentioned blotting "film" "linens" or "sheets". I think they're all basically the same thing, rice paper. Anyway, they'll get rid of your shine without getting killing the dewy, natural finish. I knew a girl who kept them in her purse for touch-ups throughout the day.

The good news about oily skin is that it ages fantastically! Yay!

i've tried bare essentials and philosphy brand ..the biggest difference I see is that philosophy brand seemed to absorb oil somehow whereas the bare essentials one seems to automatically produce a sheen..probably an intended sheen. So at the end of the day, the philosphy one LOOKS better, but at the beginning of the day, the bare essentials one looks better because your skin appears to have that healthy glow. By the end of the day the bare essentials one doesn't hold up as well for me (and I have oily skin...problem skin). I also found the one from philosophy to be closer to my true skin tone. But not enough of a difference to matter. Either way you would probably be happy. Oh yeah to cover zits and stuff you can use a little eye brush and dab/press the powder onto the little brush, then dab/press the bristles on to the zit. then proceed as normal w/your big brush for the makeup. It usually works REALLy well for breakouts... if you have them
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

My experience is that Bare Minerals is really off in terms of color--and I've really tried every one in my range including mixing them--so I went forth to find the best mineral foundation too. I tried a number of them and the one I've been using for a couple of years is GloMinerals: they have excellent color + coverage. I tried Jane Iredale and the color actually changed on me as the day progressed, in different shade attempts. JI was even the most expensive, but I didn't care as long as it looked good. JI also streaked on me!

My skin is oily, so sometimes I need to reapply a translucent powder over the GloMinerals (which I have both in powder compact and liquid form). That would be my ONLY complaint about GloMinerals--that sometimes I get shiny, but that is typical for me. The cost for a compact runs me around $38 at a good local beauty supply house, so I think it's more costly than BMinerals. It's not as easy to find, and you do have to test the colors in person before you were to, say, order it online, but I do love mine. And at the very least I don't get that grey or orange look I did from Bare Minerals!.

(But now, geez, I may just have to try Philosophy as in the above post to see if it would help me and my shiny face--thanks for the tip. Just after posting my glowing review for GloMinerals...)

I use mineral makeup from a UK brand called Lily Lolo. Their foundation is great, reasonably priced, and comes in a reasonable variety of shades. They also do concealers, finishing powders, bronzers, blushers, eyeshadows...you name it.

I have been using Bare Minerals make up for a long time but I switched to GloMinerals about 2 months ago and I really prefer it over the BM. The colors are much better and I think GM is a better choice if you have dry skin...it seems to have more moisture in it. I still swear by the BM Mineral Veil though.

Quote Originally Posted by MissBehaviour View Post
    I use mineral makeup from a UK brand called Lily Lolo. Their foundation is great, reasonably priced, and comes in a reasonable variety of shades. They also do concealers, finishing powders, bronzers, blushers, eyeshadows...you name it.
    I use Lily Lolo as well - they're brilliant. The current foundation I've got from them I've had for 7 months and I'm not even halfway through it. Actually, I'm not even halfway through some of the eyeshadow samples they sent me. Their customer service is really good as well - perhaps because they're a smaller company.

I guess I'm going to rain on the "Bare Essential" parade. I can't stand their powder products. The bismuth in the BE products was causing me to break out. (Lucky for those that are not allergic to it.) I was also a bit disappointed in their color selection. Most of them were too pink or peachy as well as either too light or too dark. (I'm a medium-tan olive. Not the typical greenish olive, but more of a golden olive.)

I'm currently using Alima's satin matte formula and Everyday Minerals intense formula. While I still have to mix 2 shades (for each brand/formula) to get a match for my complexion, there are more colors to choose from than with BE. With BE, I was never able to get the right mix. (The reason for 2 brands? I use Alima's in the winter and early spring when I'm a little paler and EM the rest of the year, when I am darker. I suppose I could "streamline" and try to find a match for each season from the same brand, but I haven't yet bothered.)

I also love Alima's and EM's matte blushes. (I prefer matte, although I do own a few of EM's shimmer and pearl blushes that double as e/s.)

Both companies also make lovely e/s. The application is a bit messy, if you apply dry. The best way is to use a very fluffy e/s brush and apply in several layers. My favorite way to apply loose e/s is by either foiling (with water/hydrosol) or by mixing it with a little Shadow Insurance by Too Faced. For either of those methods, I use a small measuring spoon for mixing and a concealer brush for application.

As far as brushes go, I actually do like BE's Heavenly Face Brush, Heavenly Blush Brush and the Eye Kabuki Brushes (for dry sheer e/s application only.) Currently, I'm using EM's long handled kabuki and Sonia Kashuk's Flathead Blush Brush, for daily use. Both are make of synthetic, yet soft bristles that are not scratchy and easily to keep clean. For "travel" and re-application (if needed,) I use the retractable kabuki by Too Faced. I do a quick daily cleaning of my brushes with BE's Quick Clean spray and a weekly deep cleansing in baby shampoo.

BTW, I have VERY oily skin and mineral makeup works better than any other foundation I have used. Of course, I'll still get oily as the day goes on, but blotting (with POWDER-FREE) blotting papers and a light re-dusting of mineral foundation is soooooooooo much easier than fixing "oil slicks"with other types of foundations.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

i had bare minerals and actually threw them away because of the itching.
    i use physician's formula and you get a ton for $11
    they didn't have anything quite dark enough for summer as the bronzers have shimmer
    so i got samples from joppa minerals, which i may invest in since they're also cheap and work great

mineral makeup DOES clear my skin
    i DO sleep in it

i will say i don't use a brush to apply
    i put vitamin e oil on my face in a thin layer and then use my finger in the powder
    this is much less messy and the makeup sets in two minutes
    the oil makes it easier to spread and correct if there's too much or too little anywhere