Code of Conduct

Thread: Standard Stuff

Default Standard Stuff

My three most recent purchases have given me such happy, closed eyes, HMMMMMS.

Blue Amber --Montale
    White Musk --Montale
    Patchouli --Jalaine

Wow. Amber, Musk, Patchouli. Vanilla, Rose, Jasmine....I realize that nothing is standard fare for me. Nothing has been done to death, because I'm only a year and a half old, everything is NEW.

It's GLORIOUS!!!

I'm enjoying Nuits de Noho today. I timed it--it's 2 1/2 hours after application, and only now at the phase I seem to love. I've been waiting for the citrus topnotes of bergamot and mandarin to leave! This is how I missed it the first go round, not waiting for the drydown. I still would much prefer another fragrance that started right here.

You've never felt that way, I'm sure.

I've done a bit of note searching in our directory, OzMoz, Luckyscent. So many chypres! Everything with patchouli and vanilla seems to have bergamot, mandarin, or grapefruit! My Jalaine's Patchouli is divine, but it is very earthy compared to the NdN drydown. I'm after the rosewood and jasmine, creamy vanilla, the bright patchouli. I want all the warmth with none of the juxtaposition--no contrast, no tension, no interest! I want nothing to make me open my eyes in the middle of HMMMMMM.

Do you know exactly what I mean? Can you suggest what I must try?

Default Re: Standard Stuff

You're going to kill me...
    It's exactly the opposite on my skin!

I wish the topnotes lasted longer. I get a lot of cinnamon-type notes in this; and I find it similar to Prada and Dior Addict, neither of which have the citrus topnotes. Maybe some of these?

Bond So New York
    Anne Pliska
    Fifi Chachnil
    Nanadebary Bronze
    Luctor et Emergo (everyone should try this one)
    La Maison de la Vanille Givree des Antilles
    Bond West Side

Lucky you on the Montales and the Jalaine! Wow.

I got my sample of Ineke After My Own Heart today...oh...it's beautiful. Definitely a keeper! I've got to get a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Lucky you on the Montales and the Jalaine! Wow.
    Thanks! Vijay gives a basenotes discount and free shipping, and the Jalaine's is more adorable in it's refill bottle than my Gardenia in it's intimidating crystal hunk. I swear, I look at my collection and start giggling. I'm nuts-o.

My first bottle of Blue Amber was a 20ml one off ebay. Vijay says they are trying that size out in France and he's going to work on getting them. That would be SO GREAT.

The Antilles looks good-- thanks! I'll keep them all in mind. I need to get a sample of Sage Garnet, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    I get lots of cinnamon-type notes in this
    Cinnamon? What cinnamon? But I would never kill you Tovah, I love you! I might wrinkle my eyebrows and frown into the setting sun....but that's as far it goes. I found your twin scent thread in my search, and I'll test Prada eagerly.
    Last edited by Shycat; 11th February 2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I'm enjoying Nuits de Noho today. I timed it--it's 2 1/2 hours after application, and only now at the phase I seem to love. I've been waiting for the citrus topnotes of bergamot and mandarin to leave! This is how I missed it the first go round, not waiting for the drydown. I still would much prefer another fragrance that started right here.

You've never felt that way, I'm sure.
    That's how I feel about my Mistouko (parfum) - I think it's the bergamot, but I'm really not so keen until the top notes have burned off. Then I love it.

Ooooooh, I'm freakin' out. Yesterday I dropped a sample of Ozwald Boateng (Thank you, musse!) as I shuffled through about 100 samples. It's in a bright red 2ml spritzer, and it hit the floor and bounced up once. It landed with a little smack-- standing perfectly upright and vibrating slightly.

I'm not supertitious, but, please! I put it on immediately. Holy Cow....it was georgeous, and I thought immediately of this post and that it seemed like the very thing I'd described.

Tonight I did a wrist to wrist--Nuits de Noho is 2hrs old, and OB Perfume Bespoke is now 30 minutes old. It's sooooo close it's not worth mentioning the difference. I looked up the notes, and sure enough! Bespoke is divided into Orange and Red in one bottle--two sprayers, but one bottle, for layering if one wished. The Red has peach, mandarin, green leaf, water lily, heliotrope, jasmine violet, LotV, sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli, musk, and amber

The Orange has the bergamot.

So, anyway, I'm wasn't supertitious...but....now? Is there a basenotes guardian fragrance angel??????

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Standard Stuff

So it was Bergamot all the time... (think 'The Godfather')
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I often gravitate towards chypres. If you want to try a chypre without the citrus (but also without the patch or vanilla) maybe try a non-green chypre? I only learned about these in recent weeks, and I'm liking the Lutens Rouge Chypre - in fact I bought a bottle today. You could also search for 'pink chypre.'

And I agree with a suggestion above for LMdlV Vanille Givree, or de Madagascar... would have to check which. It has patch and vanilla, is a bit reminiscent of Angel, and doesn't have the citrus. It's even reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I've done a bit of note searching in our directory, OzMoz, Luckyscent. So many chypres! Everything with patchouli and vanilla seems to have bergamot, mandarin, or grapefruit! My Jalaine's Patchouli is divine, but it is very earthy compared to the NdN drydown. I'm after the rosewood and jasmine, creamy vanilla, the bright patchouli. I want all the warmth with none of the juxtaposition--no contrast, no tension, no interest! I want nothing to make me open my eyes in the middle of HMMMMMM.
    Last edited by kasae; 14th February 2007 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Edited to un-make-up the Vanilla fragrance I invented from LMdlV =)