Code of Conduct

Default Creed recomendation

Hey guys. From researching and word of mouth i heard about the brand creed. I orderd to samples of it that should be coming this week. The Green Irish Tweed and the Millesime Imperial. I heard that people say the Green Irish Tweed smells like green if they had to describe a color. My girlfriend really likes i guess Red smelling colognes. Kind of Red dark and spicy. Something you wear at night time or something. Does Creed make any colognes like this. If so which one. Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creed recomendation

I don't know much about the Creed range but your description sounds like Creed Bois du Portugal and Creed Ambre Cannelle would both fit.
    Last edited by moondeva; 11th February 2007 at 03:34 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Welcome to Basenotes. The question you ask is one that is asked often enough that there are times I think we need to change our name to "Basenotes: An Internet Community where People go when they need Creed Recommendations."

Have you tried searching the archives? I don't mean to say that snottily, but just because by now we've made SO many recommendations, I know that a lot of members are just "creed-fatigued" (me included). I think if you do some searching, you'll find some EXHAUSTIVE descriptions and discussions of exactly the question you ask.

As for "dark red," I don't get too many "hot" or "dark" ones from Creed. You may want to try Tabarome Milesime (which is less red than maybe terracotta), but Creed scents in general seem a bit "cooler" to me, or along your color idea, ranging from turquoise to navy. I second moondeva's rec of Bois du Portugal (tan? ochre?) , but I'd DEFINITELY sample AMbre Canelle first (mauve/dark pink). It's not for everybody, even hardcore Creed fans sometimes don't like it.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 11th February 2007 at 07:43 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

It sounds like you're looking for Original Santal, Basenote's most hated Creed

I haven't done a full testing, but I thought it was much better than most make it out to be.
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem \ Christian Dior Dior Homme \ Creed Himalaya \ Creed Millesime Imperial \ Hermes Terre d'Hermes \ L'Artisan Dzing!

I don't think that Creed makes any dark reds, perhaps if someone from Creed is reading this they can remedy that. But in the mean time I would agree with the prescription of Original Santal although I would say that it is more of an orange. Its a bit of a stretch, but you may want to try Baie De Genievre I wouldn't necessarily associate it with red but it is fresh and clean yet dark, woody and spicy at the same time.

I third Bois du Portugal. It's dark and spicy, but I would say it's more of a tan or brown color (scent-wise).

Though, I didn't like Orignal Santal that much. And the only red I get from that fragrance is the bottle. I agree that orange or yellow would be a better color to describe OS.

Original Santal is reddish-orange to me. The two dominant notes I get from it are orange blossom and coriander (spice), followed by sandalwood (more sandalwood if worn in cooler weather).
    -

Are you set on Creed? The more I think about it in searching for something "dark red," the less I'm getting Creed. The earlier Baie de Genievre is an interesting suggestion, but it seems more dark brown to me (and, if you like GIT and such, a VERY uncharacteristic Creed).

What about something instead like Montale Greyland? I know some people around here absolutely hate this one, but it has that sort of Creed classiness with a kick of RED spice to it.

Anyway, if you want to give a little bit a try before dropping a lot on a bottle, drop me a PM.

I get the red association from Original Santal because it reminds me of red hot cinnamon candy.
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem \ Christian Dior Dior Homme \ Creed Himalaya \ Creed Millesime Imperial \ Hermes Terre d'Hermes \ L'Artisan Dzing!

I agree that creed probably isn't your best bet for this sort of fragrance but alway suggest people try silver mountain water cause it's unique and amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Are you set on Creed? The more I think about it in searching for something "dark red," the less I'm getting Creed. The earlier Baie de Genievre is an interesting suggestion, but it seems more dark brown to me (and, if you like GIT and such, a VERY uncharacteristic Creed).
    I totally agree that Creed is not the best choice if you are looking for something with a "red" feel to it. Creed is the quintessential British Upper Class fragrance and warm, passionate feelings which a "Red" fragrance demands just does not describe the stereotypical image of the British Upper Class. I would tend more towards an Italian, Spanish or French fragrance maker. The fragrance which comes to mind for me as the ultimate "Red" fragrance is "Ungaro I". It is long out of production but still available on such places as Ebay, and worth it when you find it.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

The idea that colors can be meaningfully associated with fragrances is misleading, and also uncommon here. I'm surprised so many have been playing along. "Green" is the exceptional case, as it has acquired a secondary meaning that most people understand to mean fragrances with predominant herbaceous notes. "Red" is not a similarly meaningful term.

I agree with those who don't find much in the Creed line fitting your "dark and spicy" description. Original Santal comes in a red bottle, which many of us rank as our least favorite Creed. I don't think even its fans would rush to call it "dark and spicy".

I agree that Greyland is one you may like. I think you should definitely try the Incense Series from Comme des Garcons. CdG also has a Red Series that supports my view that "red" is substantially meaningless as a descriptive term for fragrance.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Question Re: Creed recomendation

Am I crazy to recommend Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie? Is it too femme? I have a scent strip of it on my desk and it is driving me wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles
    Am I crazy to recommend Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie? Is it too femme? I have a scent strip of it on my desk and it is driving me wild!
    I thought you WERE crazy at first, but I'm wearing it now and think it just might fit the bill nicely. It's got that Creed luxe-ness to it but with a definite kick. Maybe not red, but perhaps a very dark pink...

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I thought you WERE crazy at first, but I'm wearing it now and think it just might fit the bill nicely. It's got that Creed luxe-ness to it but with a definite kick. Maybe not red, but perhaps a very dark pink...
    Its not too feminine is it?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Its not too feminine is it?
    It's definitely not Tabarome, but I think a guy could easily do it (of course, I've been known to wear MJ Blush from time to time in summer, which is about as non-manly a scent you could get, so I'm not sure if I'm a good one to judge).

You're right though, and the more I think about it, I don't know that I would suggest it for the original posters second Creed purchase, but I do think that the spicy but smooth, heady kick of it takes it outside the usual Creed Territory. I'd say it feels to me sort of like Ambre Canelle without the pepper (in terms of "feel", not notes of course). But, the feminine angle was why I thought it might be "Dark pink."