Code of Conduct

Default Giorgio Beverly Hills for men - it was unique..

Last night a friend of mine was wearing some of his private stash of original Giorgio Beverly Hills for men.

The sillage coming off of him was amazing. It was NOT overwhelming or stinkmyster - but amazing even though knowing the scent may be a little off from being discontinued and held in private collection. It was still incredible.

Giorgio was able to capture the powerful powdery notes of oak moss and contrast it against floral and sweet benzion. It must have been the use on non synthetics in the fragrance. I've been reading Steven Ginsberg's book "Reeking Havoc" - the unauthorized biography of Fred and Gale Hayman former owners of Giorgio. In the book it noted that they tipped the table in the fragrance business for using the most highest percentage of pure oils in their fragrances - no company before or since then have done.

This scent would simply be a signature scent for me! Its unlike anything else out in the world today. Too bad it has been discontinued. Too bad by nose was not mature enough to appreciate it. I always wonder what happens to these formulas? Are they just lost in a filing cabinet some where at Proctor & Gamble (last owner's of the Giorgio portfolio)? What I would not do to get my hands on that...

I have tried imposters out on the market but not one smells like the original or even close to it.

Default Re: Giorgio Beverly Hills for men - it was unique..

I received a large bottle of it from a then-girlfriend. It was her former BF's signature scent, and I recoiled - I was wearing New West at the time. I wore it for a time but never appreciated it. I wonder whether I would like it today, being older now. It was powerful stuff.

I had a bottle of this I swiped from my younger (but much more style-concious) brother back in the 80s. I was wearing Drakkar, Polo, and Benneton Colors at the time, but Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men blew all of them out of the water. I can still clearly remember being at the skating rink and my girlfriend snuggling up for a whiff every 10 seconds or so...since then I have often lamented its discontinuance; in the men's fragrance Battle of the Bands, this stuff rocked the hardest.

This stuff was amazing. I didn't like it at first so I sold it and now I regret it. Sadly Giorgio Beverly Hills doesn't exist anymore so this fragrance will never come back.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    I had a bottle of this I swiped from my younger (but much more style-concious) brother back in the 80s. I was wearing Drakkar, Polo, and Benneton Colors at the time, but Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men blew all of them out of the water. I can still clearly remember being at the skating rink and my girlfriend snuggling up for a whiff every 10 seconds or so...since then I have often lamented its discontinuance; in the men's fragrance Battle of the Bands, this stuff rocked the hardest.
    CJ — amazing that you, and not your brother, ended up here on Basenotes!

Anyway, I am now itching to try this stuff. In the 80s I would have dismissed it because of the name, and the association with empty glitz, but now that that is all that there is I'm prepared to embrace it.

Must find some!
    Last edited by Eluard; 14th February 2007 at 04:25 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

I don't think i have tried this one yet.
    Thanks a lot for reminding me of it since i was very eager to try it out but then it faded into yet another forgotten scent...
    I gotta get a hold of one now!

I have seen a bottle of it on eBay once or twice when I was in college in the mid-90s, but it was rather expensive at the time (although, looking back, I would gladly pay the $80 that seemed so dear back then).

The closest facsimile I have found is Frederic Malle's Noir Epices, but even that doesn't capture the woody side of Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men; it was sublime, and the next time I see a bottle, I'm not thinking twice.

Was and still is unique...My favorite cologne of all time

I always have a 4 ounce bottle with a back up in a zip lock bag in the fridge...Good thing a little goes a long way.

A slightly feminine scent that is masculine,classy and like the thread starter wrote..unique.

This is a brilliant blend of ingredients that just will never be replicated...No other cologne smells like it and imo,never will.

Lately,I search for rationally priced items from this brand,especially Red For Men and the original Giorgio For Men: There are none...
    I allready knew that the former is expensive,but prices for the latter even surpass the barrier of the 300 USD...Did I mention that this applies for splash bottles?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Sur la Plage

God I loved this stuff!! It brings back such fond memories. I wish they could bring it back.

I own one bottle of it now buted, and I regret selling the other bottles of it. I love this one, Red, and VIP which I tried once and loved and am finally getting a bottle of. The original keeps going up in price on ebay. Why did they discontinue all the good ones and still keep producing that crap called Wings.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Giorgio for Men was my signature scent for more than twenty years.

When I learned that it was being discontinued, I bought fifteen bottles directly from GBH.

I staved off the effects of it being discontinued for many years, but I would not have used it so indiscriminately if I had known what these bottles were selling for!

I have 1 1/2 bottles left that I will ration to last the rest of my lifetime.

To this day, Giorgio for Men remains my holy grail!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It was the first (only) cologne I wore which directly got me laid!
    She caught a whiff of it, we chatted, hit it off and I hit it.
    Twenty odd years ago, but completely unforgettable.

I have just received a 4 oz/120ml tester bottle of this one,with no cap.I am not aware of the existance of testers of this specific one and this looks like the other items listed as such by other sellers.
    I do not like "old school" ,heavy,fragrances and this one vaguely reminds me of Givenchy Gentleman,one of the very few scents I cannot stand for the above reasons.
    If this is a fake item,then it is not a great loss.
    If it is a genuine one,priced at 6 GBP,well,that's the bargain of the year!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    I have just received a 4 oz/120ml tester bottle of this one,with no cap.I am not aware of the existance of testers of this specific one and this looks like the other items listed as such by other sellers.
    I do not like "old school" ,heavy,fragrances and this one vaguely reminds me of Givenchy Gentleman,one of the very few scents I cannot stand for the above reasons.
    If this is a fake item,then it is not a great loss.
    If it is a genuine one,priced at 6 GBP,well,that's the bargain of the year!
    I am not aware of any fake Giorgio for Men in circulation. I am sure that back in the day testers existed for Giorgio for Men just as they did for other fragrances.

I will be glad to buy it from you!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

I owned a bottle when I was an adolescent and, like some mentioned above, I never really appreciated it for what it was.

I am not sure I would currently wear it, but it would be nice to take a trip down memory lane.

I used to have this scent and hated to see it go.....I also liked the VIP version.....I do miss both of these scents, but I'm not sure that these would be anything that I would wear now.
    Gary

Smile Re: Giorgio Beverly Hills for men - it was unique..

Personally I think that Giorgio, reserve and Red have got Patou and Derby beat by a mile. But I am still a babe in the woods here on the site and can always learn something from my wiser basenote friends.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Unique it is....does anyone know if this comes shrinkwrapped ? Im interested in buying it from this little perfume store that has a 1.7 oz bottle still wrapped for $175. Could it be counterfeit? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    Unique it is....does anyone know if this comes shrinkwrapped ? Im interested in buying it from this little perfume store that has a 1.7 oz bottle still wrapped for $175. Could it be counterfeit? Thanks in advance!
    I have never seen a fake Giorgio for Men.

If it has been counterfeited, I think you would suddenly see it available in many places.

You can be reasonably confident that it is authentic.

Btw, I picked up an authentic 120ml bottle on eBay recently for well under $150.00.

this is now a steal on ebay for 60 bucks for a large 120ml

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280230155054

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Lately,I search for rationally priced items from this brand,especially Red For Men and the original Giorgio For Men: There are none...
    I allready knew that the former is expensive,but prices for the latter even surpass the barrier of the 300 USD...Did I mention that this applies for splash bottles?
    i found some red for men on ebay that seems a reasonable price

are there fakes of giorgio beverly hills for men and red for men?

that auction is WAY OVER PRICED! Giorgio for men is back in production and can be found for 1/2 that price at online fragrance stores.

your days of price price gouging have come to and end said to say to you.

Quote Originally Posted by randomtw View Post
    i found some red for men on ebay that seems a reasonable price

are there fakes of giorgio beverly hills for men and red for men?
    No fakes, both Red for Men and Giorgio for Men have been returned to production.

The stratospheric prices of a few months ago are history. Vintage bottles may still command a premium from purists - but you would really need to trust the seller about the bottle's provenance.

New member, perfumes, seems to be promoting their own auction. scentimus is correct, it is available at much better prices. I have seen some as low as $30.00.

It was an overplayed and overhyped 80's scent much like Polo and Drakkar Noir, though much more feminine. I, for one, am glad it has been discontinued...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    It was an overplayed and overhyped 80's scent much like Polo and Drakkar Noir, though much more feminine. I, for one, am glad it has been discontinued...
    It's baaaccckkk.....!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post

sampler, Giorgio for men IS back in production. I don't think it is any more feminine than Acier Aluminum but to each, their own.

I tried Giorgio for the very first time today ... its superb ! , the sample was official in a card and it was the extraordinary vintage juice .
    OK >> There are plenty of Reds available online at Ebay but very very few Yellows , any thoughts on why ?
    >> I also note its twice as expensive than the Red .
    *** IS THE NEW FORMULATION AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Yes the formula is ALMOST the same. Only TwoRoads can smell the diffirence, who had it as a signature for 2 decades.

Yellow is very very very good. I blind bought 3 bottles, and i'm glad i did so!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I tried Giorgio for the very first time today ... its superb ! , the sample was official in a card and it was the extraordinary vintage juice .
    OK >> There are plenty of Reds available online at Ebay but very very few Yellows , any thoughts on why ?
    >> I also note its twice as expensive than the Red .
    *** IS THE NEW FORMULATION AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL ?
    In the US you can find the "yellow" for ~ $30 USD for a 4oz bottle with online retailers and using promotion codes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

OK, so I finally found a local frag shop that sells the new version. I was luckily able to test it before buying.

I am sorry but I am going to have to commit heresy here -- I didn't care for it. The initial blast reminded me of a note from Stetson or Royal Copenhagen. Something really stagnant to my nose, almost like horse manure. And unlike those other two fragrances, it didn't seem to go away.

I think my problem is that I had so hyped this fragrance in mind and had formed in my mind what I *thought* it was going to smell like that this really had no way of succeeding with me.

Interestingly enough, the lady who owns the shop had never smelled it either and I watched her as she put her nose to the pump...she grimaced. She agreed with me that it didn't smell very good.

This was definitely the new formulation, as the juice was green. When I got home a few hours later, I smelled my wrist and could no longer smell it.

The lady had let me try a few other frags so finally when I asked if she had Alexander Julian Colours, I bought it without testing it (it was only $8.99 for a mini-bottle). I just tried that one and it oddly enough also has that same odd smell to it like Stetson or Royal Copenhagen! Good lord maybe my nose is screwed up today!?!??!

At any rate, I don't mean to offend anyone as I know this scent is quite popular here and it's re-release was terrific news to many. Although I didn't like it, I hope its return along with Giorgio Red paves the way for other discontinued scents to come back (like DK Men or A&F Woods -- although those are different companies from these -- but hey, I'm just trying to be optimistic!).

thats very sad ...
    I for one though highly recomend Giorgio Extraordinaire & VIP Reserve .
    It took only one wearing to jump into my top 10 ! .. I doubt it will ever leave those heights .
    I will leave this earth with a bottle behind .
    I cannot say the same for Red .

SALES

I love both the Red, Yellow, and VIP. The Red and Yellow relaunches are still good but not quite as good as the originals. I'm not complaining though. Also I emailed EA and they said VIP won't be coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I am sorry but I am going to have to commit heresy here -- I didn't care for it. The initial blast reminded me of a note from Stetson or Royal Copenhagen. Something really stagnant to my nose, almost like horse manure. And unlike those other two fragrances, it didn't seem to go away.
    It is not heresy to have individual tastes and preferences that are different than others. If we all agreed on everything, the world could live very nicely with only a handful of fragrances rather than the thousands that are available.

For me, Giorgio for Men is the 'once and future King' of my wardrobe.

I don't see the resemblance to Stetson or Royal Copenhagen - perhaps it is more the 80's feel that doesn't sit well with you. Giorgio for Men is a typical 80's powerhouse chypre. You seem to be more attracted to 'barbershop' type scents like Royal Briar and oriental scents like Habit Rouge.

No problem though, this just leaves more Giorgio for me!

Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th July 2008 at 01:56 AM.

I bought a Bottle of Giorgio for men a month back. Wonderful. If this had been released by Prada and had a square. cool grey bottle and a 21 year old model was pushing it, people would be at the altar singing the praises. I wore it on a road trip to to Nashville last weekend for the 4th of July.....I couldn't wash it off 18 hours later and this was the new stuff. Live with it, spray it on your chest, live with it for a full wearing. If you still think it is not for you, then that is fair.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 13th July 2008 at 01:51 AM.

I find the Girogio that is currently out now smell just like the one from the 80's the scent is green like the original from the 80's (check my avatar).

Has for long lasting I agree with Jock with Scents - the stuff can go for 48 hours on your skin.

You may have sampled a bad bottle or something....? For I don't see any Stetson or Royal Copehagen at all.

Guys ,,, Very important you all try & get a sample of Moods by Krizia , Its in the same League as Extraordinaire & VIP & with just enough subtle variations to be considered triplets !!!!!!!

SALES

I just bought a bottle of Moods and it is a very good fragrance.

Nothing I have found so far is in the same league as Giorgio for Men (Extraordinaire).

Moods is as good as VIP but approaches Giorgio for Men only on bended knee.

OK, so I finally found a local frag shop that sells the new version. I was luckily able to test it before buying.

I am sorry but I am going to have to commit heresy here -- I didn't care for it.
    Now that I own a bottle of this juice, I have been able to test it more in depth and ultimately -- I renig on my last review. I do like it!

One caveat though -- I don't like the smell of it when I put my nose right to my skin during the first hour or so. There is something there that I find unpleasant. However, the whiffs I get from the sillage are quite divine! So, when I wear this, my nose has a restraining order for ground zero -- it must stay at least 6 inches away during the dry down!

I hope its return along with Giorgio Red paves the way for other discontinued scents to come back (like DK Men or A&F Woods -- although those are different companies from these -- but hey, I'm just trying to be optimistic!).
    It seems my optimism was well placed for one of those!
    Last edited by atrac; 11th August 2008 at 08:46 AM.

So I grabbed a 1.6oz Giorgio for Men today from Marshalls... This could very well be the strongest opening I've ever experienced... We're talking Chernobyl strength & sillage. I wasn't sure if this would be for me, but it has calmed down somewhat... I've had it on about 1.5hrs and it's mellowing into something that I like much better... To early to give a verdict yet, so I'll check back in a few hours...

One caveat though -- I don't like the smell of it when I put my nose right to my skin during the first hour or so. There is something there that I find unpleasant. However, the whiffs I get from the sillage are quite divine!
    I feel the same way about Giorgio. There's something slightly off-putting about it, but not enough to repulse me...it's right on the edge. That weird note does fade as it dries down, and i can see why Two Roads made this his signature for twenty years. It's an unique and well-made fragrance.