Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Giorgio Beverly Hills for men - it was unique..

OK, so I finally found a local frag shop that sells the new version. I was luckily able to test it before buying.

I am sorry but I am going to have to commit heresy here -- I didn't care for it. The initial blast reminded me of a note from Stetson or Royal Copenhagen. Something really stagnant to my nose, almost like horse manure. And unlike those other two fragrances, it didn't seem to go away.

I think my problem is that I had so hyped this fragrance in mind and had formed in my mind what I *thought* it was going to smell like that this really had no way of succeeding with me.

Interestingly enough, the lady who owns the shop had never smelled it either and I watched her as she put her nose to the pump...she grimaced. She agreed with me that it didn't smell very good.

This was definitely the new formulation, as the juice was green. When I got home a few hours later, I smelled my wrist and could no longer smell it.

The lady had let me try a few other frags so finally when I asked if she had Alexander Julian Colours, I bought it without testing it (it was only $8.99 for a mini-bottle). I just tried that one and it oddly enough also has that same odd smell to it like Stetson or Royal Copenhagen! Good lord maybe my nose is screwed up today!?!??!

At any rate, I don't mean to offend anyone as I know this scent is quite popular here and it's re-release was terrific news to many. Although I didn't like it, I hope its return along with Giorgio Red paves the way for other discontinued scents to come back (like DK Men or A&F Woods -- although those are different companies from these -- but hey, I'm just trying to be optimistic!).

thats very sad ...
    I for one though highly recomend Giorgio Extraordinaire & VIP Reserve .
    It took only one wearing to jump into my top 10 ! .. I doubt it will ever leave those heights .
    I will leave this earth with a bottle behind .
    I cannot say the same for Red .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I love both the Red, Yellow, and VIP. The Red and Yellow relaunches are still good but not quite as good as the originals. I'm not complaining though. Also I emailed EA and they said VIP won't be coming back.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I am sorry but I am going to have to commit heresy here -- I didn't care for it. The initial blast reminded me of a note from Stetson or Royal Copenhagen. Something really stagnant to my nose, almost like horse manure. And unlike those other two fragrances, it didn't seem to go away.
    It is not heresy to have individual tastes and preferences that are different than others. If we all agreed on everything, the world could live very nicely with only a handful of fragrances rather than the thousands that are available.

For me, Giorgio for Men is the 'once and future King' of my wardrobe.

I don't see the resemblance to Stetson or Royal Copenhagen - perhaps it is more the 80's feel that doesn't sit well with you. Giorgio for Men is a typical 80's powerhouse chypre. You seem to be more attracted to 'barbershop' type scents like Royal Briar and oriental scents like Habit Rouge.

No problem though, this just leaves more Giorgio for me!

Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th July 2008 at 01:56 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I bought a Bottle of Giorgio for men a month back. Wonderful. If this had been released by Prada and had a square. cool grey bottle and a 21 year old model was pushing it, people would be at the altar singing the praises. I wore it on a road trip to to Nashville last weekend for the 4th of July.....I couldn't wash it off 18 hours later and this was the new stuff. Live with it, spray it on your chest, live with it for a full wearing. If you still think it is not for you, then that is fair.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 13th July 2008 at 01:51 AM.

I find the Girogio that is currently out now smell just like the one from the 80's the scent is green like the original from the 80's (check my avatar).

Has for long lasting I agree with Jock with Scents - the stuff can go for 48 hours on your skin.

You may have sampled a bad bottle or something....? For I don't see any Stetson or Royal Copehagen at all.

Guys ,,, Very important you all try & get a sample of Moods by Krizia , Its in the same League as Extraordinaire & VIP & with just enough subtle variations to be considered triplets !!!!!!!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I just bought a bottle of Moods and it is a very good fragrance.

Nothing I have found so far is in the same league as Giorgio for Men (Extraordinaire).

Moods is as good as VIP but approaches Giorgio for Men only on bended knee.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

OK, so I finally found a local frag shop that sells the new version. I was luckily able to test it before buying.

I am sorry but I am going to have to commit heresy here -- I didn't care for it.
    Now that I own a bottle of this juice, I have been able to test it more in depth and ultimately -- I renig on my last review. I do like it!

One caveat though -- I don't like the smell of it when I put my nose right to my skin during the first hour or so. There is something there that I find unpleasant. However, the whiffs I get from the sillage are quite divine! So, when I wear this, my nose has a restraining order for ground zero -- it must stay at least 6 inches away during the dry down!

I hope its return along with Giorgio Red paves the way for other discontinued scents to come back (like DK Men or A&F Woods -- although those are different companies from these -- but hey, I'm just trying to be optimistic!).
    It seems my optimism was well placed for one of those!
    Last edited by atrac; 11th August 2008 at 08:46 AM.

So I grabbed a 1.6oz Giorgio for Men today from Marshalls... This could very well be the strongest opening I've ever experienced... We're talking Chernobyl strength & sillage. I wasn't sure if this would be for me, but it has calmed down somewhat... I've had it on about 1.5hrs and it's mellowing into something that I like much better... To early to give a verdict yet, so I'll check back in a few hours...

One caveat though -- I don't like the smell of it when I put my nose right to my skin during the first hour or so. There is something there that I find unpleasant. However, the whiffs I get from the sillage are quite divine!
    I feel the same way about Giorgio. There's something slightly off-putting about it, but not enough to repulse me...it's right on the edge. That weird note does fade as it dries down, and i can see why Two Roads made this his signature for twenty years. It's an unique and well-made fragrance.