Code of Conduct

Default Nauseating Frgrances

Hey base noters,

I was wondering what fragrances that you guys have encountered that either irritates your skin, make you sick to your stomach, or itchty? I've noticed tha Cologne by Mugler gives me a guaranteed headache whenever I smell it.

Default Re: Nauseating Frgrances

My cryptonites are Caron puH, Cannabis Santal and Versace Dreamer. They upset my stomach for a reason. I tries Bois Farine a couple of times and each time I coughed terribly.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Basenotes Institution

A.maze by People of the Labyrinths made me itch after a few hours - however I was testing the Eau de Parfum (some strong sh*t!)

AXE anything
    michael by michael kors (i have it but it gets nauseating after a while.)
    bvlgari blue

I am going to have to agree with the Axe and Versace Dreamer choices. They can be quite nauseating. I will add Lolita Lempicka (at times) and evern Chergui, when it is not the right atmosphere for such a thick and rich fragrance. My last choice will be Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy.

oh yeah, forgot about dreamer. one of my favorite fragrances but too much = headache.

Eternity for Men is nauseating for me, even when applied lightly -- hits my head and my stomach.

But I think it's good for evey fragrance enthusiast to have a "kryptonite," as phantagarow puts it -- it helps us be more understanding towards co-workers and others who might have the same problem with a scent we love.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I have to REALLY be careful when applying Kouros...one spray too many is too much.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Parotte82
    Hey base noters,

I was wondering what fragrances that you guys have encountered that either irritates your skin, make you sick to your stomach, or itchty? I've noticed tha Cologne by Mugler gives me a guaranteed headache whenever I smell it.
    Migraine- CK Eternity, Guerlain Heritage, Platinum Egoiste, M7, and most anything with oud

rash- "The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things" (not the original Yosh version), Loree Rodkin Gothic 2

nausea- Jicky, Serge Lutens Cedre, SL Santal Blanc
    Last edited by DJB; 13th February 2007 at 12:14 AM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Anything with Orange Flowers for some reason...
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Dependent

Caron pour homme and Jaipur which share a bergamot top note. I'm staying away from bergamot altogether now. I wretch when I smell it.

Bandit EDP turns my stomach 10 min.after application.
    L'air du desert marocain and Jean Pascal Pour Homme irritates my skin.
    But that doesn't stop me from spritzing them on my hair and clothes, in fact LDDM is in my all time favourites.

L'eau d'Issey. Nausea and headaches.

Guerlain Vetiver.
    Wore it on Saturday and it made me wanna puke. OK maybe it was the hangover. Anyway, I am now trying to get rid of it on ebay (the EDT not the hangover).

Thierry Mugler's A*men. Put some on a paper strip and left it somewhere in the bedroom. Had to wake up in the middle of night to dispose of it, I just couldn't stand the smell.

Anything by Mona di Orio - the horrible waxy notes literally makes me want to throw up.

Headache par excellence: Iquitos

Nausea: Messe de Minuit, Lorenzo Villoresi's monstrous Incensi

Post Re: Nauseating Frgrances

This certain synthetic sweetness turns my stomach. Rochas Man, Ted Lapidus Pour Lui and several Hugo Boss fragrances for example.

Jicky
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Wow, am I the first to mention Joop PH? That was always my most hated (male) fragrance, although I know it has a lot of fans. I was surprised that someone said Eternity. I have another unpopular opinion: I bought YSL's Kouros (the original) blind and just did not care for it at all. I used it for an air freshener just to get my money's worth but never wore it. I had the same experience with Trump.
    Incidentally, I've never met anyone, male or female, who has liked the female versions of Cool Water or 360 Degrees, but I digress....

Creed Tabarome Millesime... I usually love the Tobacco-note but something goes horribly wrong with Tabarome on me, if it's my skin chemistry or something... It's just a sour stench on me when I've had it on for a while... Quite nauseating!

One of the frags that I physically can't apply is A*Mugler, my skin and nose don't seem to tolerate it for some reason...

For me, it's Joop! Homme and Eternity for Men.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I used to like Cool Water. I tend to want to throw up everytime i wear it now.

same here^

i used to wear it daily. now its so so. not that special anymore. i guess b/c it was my first real cologne.

Dependent

any serge lutens perfume layered with another serge lutens perfume would lead to loss of appetite and hospitalization.

I like Prada Man, but, I found out if I wear it too long it really hits my stomach. And, amazingly, GFT, which is in my regular rotation and it is one of my favorite colognes, but, again, it does make me a litte queezy...must be the lemon note.

I cannot stand to have Very Irresistable or Trussardi L'Uomo on my skin. They both smell disgusting to me.

The Dreamer made me naseous when I had it. Burberry Weekend was a headache-inducing chemical mess. Also Michael for Men makes me queasy for some reason, which is a shame since it's a nice scent other than for that.

Other than those, I actually enjoy almost everything else.
    Last edited by gimpy; 13th February 2007 at 06:21 AM.

There are plenty of smells I don't like, but none has yet made me nauseated or given me aches of the head or stomach.

I haven't found a holy grail scent yet either, so I think it's a fair trade.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I must be careful with famous 'oriental' fragrances, like Musk Ravageur, Jaipur & Habit Rouge. Sadly also, I cannot wear more than a drop of Antaeus. They all have caused me to need lots of oxygene as an emergency, at least once !

Others that have been mentioned but I don' care for anyway: Xerius Rouge (love the Black though), Mugler Cologne, Iquitos, The Dreamer, Dior Homme, any Tauer, Joop Jump, some feminine Lutens (particularly Fleurs d'Orangier and Citronnier and (always!) Tuberose.

The other extreme: citrussy colognes are proven life savers for me! Too bad they don't last!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Men's fragrances that make me wretch:

-Obsession
    -Alfred Dunhill

(might be the association with the guys I knew who wore them)

Angry Re: Nauseating Frgrances

Anything with too much lavender in it is sure to ruin the rest of my day ...

Comme des Garcons 2 Man does me in every time.

Tauer's L'Air du Desert as well ...

Clinique Happy for men sends me racing for the toilet, as does Acqua di Gio.
    Last edited by bront82; 13th February 2007 at 06:35 PM.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Most fragrances with an orange blossom note, Cool Water and Prada Man for example, make me feel physically sick after a while. Same thing happens with many Hugo Boss frags, but this time it is the synthetic sweetness in the base and middle notes that makes me nauseous. It's not the sweetness itself, because the quite sweet new Burberry London is one of my favourites. Unfortunately for me, Boss frags are very popular in Finland...

JPG Le Male almost made sick once. And as several people have mentioned, Michael by Michael Kors smells lovely but can bet a bit nauseating after awhile.

Off-Scenter

Timbuktu - nauseating. I might even flay myself to get this stuff off.

Miel de Bois - not as bad, but certainly ruins my appetite.

Smile Re: Nauseating Frgrances

Iquitos is probably the only scent that actually made me nauseated. The one that came close was amouage gold. Got a severe headache from that one. Most lutens scents bother me because they are too sweet and feminine for my tastes. Except for Muscs Kublai Khan and the ever ellusive Fumarie Turque. Anything with a strong rose componant makes me nausious. It is weird though that I kinda like rose pouivre sp? After it dries down a bit it is a great scent for me.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

i'm going to go with bulgari blu (and blue notte for that matter)... both induce wicked headaches and make me sick.

just my 2 cents
    "Yo soy un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma, y antes de morirme, quiero echar mis versos del alma."

José Martí

Azzaro Pure Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver. Not really nauseating, more like very tangy and sharp. If heacache had a smell, that might be it. I've wore them just once though, but I don't feel like using again anytime soon.

I loved Romance Silver for a long time, then something happened and it started giving me a headache. Givench Gentleman when overapplied is nausea-inducing to me.

I'm also going to say Bulgari Blue, which is odd because I always really enjoy the scent when I put it on but an hour later it's giving me a sea-sick sort of sensation.

I find the JPG fragrances Le Male and G2 to be nauseating.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Paris Hilton for Men - the synthetic fruitiness on the drydown does not agree with me.

Joop! Might as well be called Ipecac! I never saw the draw to that one. Like a fusion of butt and strawberry-cotton candy. Another would be Le Male, although I used to really like it.

One time I sprayed from an old (really old) bottle of Bijon and my brother said I smelled like Nick Nolte. I didn't take that as a complement. He looked kinda queasy too. (My bro, not Nick Nolte.)

I still don't know what note exactly it is... TdH... nauseating, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74
    And as several people have mentioned, Michael by Michael Kors smells lovely but can bet a bit nauseating after awhile.
    Same here. While I really like Michael for a while, there's something about the drydown that is truly nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    I find the JPG fragrances Le Male and G2 to be nauseating.
    I find them nauseating when I sprayed too much.

Others I find nauseating:

Polo Black (in places with still air)
    Marc Jacobs for men (same situation as above)
    PI (smell nauseating almost all the time)
    Very Irresistable (topnotes make me want to puke)

Hugo Boss for sure! Might smell good on others, but definitely nauseating for me!

CARON POUR UN HOMME strikes again! The scent almost makes me ill. What a mistake to purchase that stuff!

CUBA GOLD is just as bad: I guess that the combination of sweetness and tobacco really disagrees with me.

HOMME DE CAFE by Cofinluxe (Cofci) was one that I liked initially, but now is way too strong for me, although it doesn't make me feel physically ill like the two (2) named above do

. . . and then there's Christian Dior's FAHRENHEIT . . . Lordy, how to describe THAT ONE?!? I've called it "a disaster" and "a train wreck of a fragrance," and no amount of hyperbole will suffice to express how much I hate it. I think that I'd sooner bathe myself in some toxic substance like benzene or gasoline than wear Fahrenheit!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew
    . . . and then there's Christian Dior's FAHRENHEIT . . . Lordy, how to describe THAT ONE?!? I've called it "a disaster" and "a train wreck of a fragrance," and no amount of hyperbole will suffice to express how much I hate it. I think that I'd sooner bathe myself in some toxic substance like benzene or gasoline than wear Fahrenheit!
    Many around here love it, but I completely agree with you: it smells like a bad oil change on a car to me. Others get something quite different. (Worth looking up the thread I started on this one.)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.